The Veiled Priests were direct aides to the Ceremony Master of Minakami Village. They represented each of the top families within the village. Itsuki Tachibana wrote in his diary that the four Pinwheel Crests were "handed down through the families of four Veiled Priests".
Although their role in the Crimson Sacrifice Ritual is small, the Veiled Priests play a crucial role in the Cutting Ritual and the Hidden Ceremony. Their other duties include helping the Ceremony Master prepare Mourners and capture Kusabi sacrifices. They act as escorts to Twin Shrine Maidens and Altar Twins before the ritual, urging them to complete the ritual and even offering assistance if the twins are having difficulty, as in the case of Akane and Azami Kiryu.
When Seijiro Makabe was being held prisoner in preparation to become a Kusabi, Ryokan Kurosawa entrusted one of the cell keys to a Veiled Priest. Later, Mio retrieves it from the room before the Rope Temple.
The Veiled Priests seem to have been associated with the Kureha Shrine and the Kurosawa Family Altar Room, as their ghosts appear frequently in these areas. They might have served as guards, making sure that no twins could escape and no outsiders could discover the passageway to the Hellish Abyss, or any information about the Forbidden Ritual. They also reported to Ryokan Kurosawa concerning the behavior of the Mourners, who were not allowed above ground.
The Veiled Priests tie up a prospective Kusabi sacrifice and slash his body with the ends of their staffs. If the victim survives this process, he is carried down to the Hellish Abyss and thrown into the Abyss while still alive.
The Veiled Priests escort the Twin Shrine Maidens to the Kurosawa House and down to the ritual site at the Hellish Abyss. The priests gather around, rhythmically tapping their staffs against the ground, while the twins perform the ritual.
The Veiled Priests performed the final Crimson Sacrifice Ritual by hanging Sae Kurosawa from the gate leading to the Abyss. Since the ritual was performed improperly and without twins, it failed. The Veiled Priests were killed when Sae's ghost reappeared from the Abyss and the Malice and Darkness burst forth.
- The Veiled Priests' bodies are covered with protective writing. This mimics the Japanese story of Hoichi the Earless, in which Hoichi is covered with sacred writing all over his body to protect him from the spirits visiting him.
- One of the Priests' attacks involves summoning floating spirits. The spirits vanish if photographed, but otherwise it will home in on the nearest twin and damage them upon contact.
- A Veiled Priest tried to help Akane Kiryu strangle her sister Azami because she was having difficulty, but Azami protested.
- The symbol on the priests' veils seems to be the same as that on the Gold Carving in Fatal Frame. Its significance is unknown.
- For other rituals in Fatal Frame II, see Fatal Frame II Rituals.
- For other hostile ghosts, see Hostile Ghosts.
- For related articles, see Related Articles:Veiled Priests.
In Other Languages:
English - Italiano