Fatal Frame Series
The Fatal Frame series had its beginnings when creator Keisuke Kikuchi was working on Tecmo's popular Kagero/Deception series. He began to toy with the idea of a player being forced to explore and find their way through a haunted house. Originally, Kikuchi had pitched the idea to Capcom, which, with its Resident Evil and Clocktower series, was then much more deeply involved in the survival horror genre than Tecmo. Capcom rejected the idea, but luckily Kikuchi successfully pitched the project to Tecmo.
At first, the game concept for the original Fatal Frame closely mirrored that of another popular Japanese Survival Horror Playstation video game series called Otogiriso (弟切草). Some of the old plot line of the story was available to read at the original Fatal Frame video game US website. The game's plot was gradually tweaked and altered into its current form.
The series has since grown to three installments (all making the Playstation Best of the Best list in Japan), with a fourth game currently only released in Japan for the Wii.
Timeline of the Series
So far, every game in the series has been connected in one way or another, even if only through ties with Dr. Asou. Check the Timeline for a complete time line of the series and actions of its characters.
Games in the series
- Fatal Frame
- Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly
- Fatal Frame III: The Tormented
- Fatal Frame IV: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse
- Fatal Frame: Deep Crimson Butterfly
- Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
Other Spinoff Games
- Zero Sound: Cellphone Game/story series
- Real Zero: Another Edition: Cellphone Game
- Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir: Nintendo 3DS Game
- Zero 4D: 3D Amusement Park Attraction
- Zero Novel: Novelization of first game
- Fatal Frame Fanbook: Official fanbook encompassing information, characters, locations, etc from the first two games. It also includes a Novelization of the second game.
- Zero 3 Comic Anthology: Collection of supplementary stories drawn/written by horror manga artists.
- Fatal Frame: A Curse Affecting Only Girls: A novel with an original Fatal Frame story by Eiji Otsuka.
- Fatal Frame: The Movie: A Japanese movie based on the novel.
- Fatal Frame: Shadow Priestess: A manga spinoff of the series with an original story by Koei Tecmo, writing by Seimaru Amagi and art by hakus
In Other Languages:
English - Français