Anyone trying to register a new account:

The forums are currently being targeted by spambots, so new registrations will have to be manually approved by an admin. I'll try to check the list at least once a day, but if you want to be approved more quickly, or if you've been falsely marked as a spammer, please message elwing.alcyone at Gmail.

- midwinter

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
suprimeking : (10 July 2019 - 11:11 AM) discord is acting up on me again
Gbarchetta : (28 July 2019 - 06:20 PM) Urgh, I want a new entry in the series :(
Jamie : (28 July 2019 - 07:29 PM) Same here :C
Meital : (29 February 2020 - 08:45 PM) GabSmolders is having Fatal Frame marathon on Twitch! Just FYI if you're interested watching someone play FF :)
Rheo : (23 April 2020 - 10:38 AM) Been so long
ItsukiFace : (28 May 2020 - 06:21 PM) You better run.
ItsukiFace : (28 May 2020 - 08:46 PM) I'd rather be dry, but at least I'm alive.
thomas06 : (25 July 2020 - 10:32 PM) Hey Guys!
NuMetalWolf : (30 August 2020 - 09:46 AM) It's been 6 years.
NuMetalWolf : (02 September 2020 - 05:36 PM) 12, actually. I wasn't counting the time i spent here before the move out.
NuMetalWolf : (02 September 2020 - 05:39 PM) To whoever reads this, I wish you all good luck.
NuMetalWolf : (02 September 2020 - 05:46 PM) Stay safe, everyone.
NuMetalWolf : (02 September 2020 - 05:47 PM) Bye.
suprimeking : (07 November 2020 - 02:02 PM) hey is discord working for everyone else
NuMetalWolf : (21 November 2020 - 03:15 PM) I don't think there's been anyone on this site in a long time. This is sad.
Rheo : (08 December 2020 - 03:40 PM) no one's actually saying anything in the posts either
ItsukiFace : (10 December 2020 - 03:04 PM) The site's just going through a bit of a dry spell, I'm sure the tempo will pick up soon enough.
ItsukiFace : (30 December 2020 - 06:34 AM) Happy Holidays, BCL Family!
Meital : (06 January 2021 - 01:54 PM) It's 2021 and 20th anniversary for Fatal Frame series this year! I missed you guys!
Tigermausbaer : (06 January 2021 - 11:54 PM) Hello, i wish everyone a happy new year!

Photo

Too Scary to Play?

Fatal Frame Project Zero Opinion

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Kouta Koikawa

Kouta Koikawa

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 236 posts
  • LocationTampere, Finland

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:36 AM

The third one is.

#22 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 715 posts
  • LocationIn a nest made of the Kusabi's hair.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:04 AM

And I love it even more for it. :)

#23 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

Lingering Shadow

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,158 posts
  • Location日上山

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

Its the first game of the series and you dont really know what to expect. Even if you played the other games or watched a LP it'll get you. There is a scare factor and the sense of you controlling Miku and not watching some person online like a movie makes the whole thing scary in survival horror. I'm not the type of person who would get scared easily, horror films dont scare me like Insidious for example when it first came out didn't make me jump or flinch it just made me sleepy and want my money back, you would have to use all your energy to try to scare me and even that wont make me flinch, you'll just end up making me look confused with a "What are you doing?" question as a result to your efforts. When I play a scary game I expect it to be scary. The first game created this atmosphere in less than a minute and got me nervous and jump once or twice in the first 20 minutes of the game. There are these sounds that even bad speakers wont save you if you have the volume loud enough to hear them that'll make you question whats making it and will it come and kill you. The first is the scariest in my opinion but its not the game I'd play due to the outdated(?) gameplay. The other games lost what made the first so scary and it was the dark and scary atmosphere and make you wonder if something is behind you and you're not alone.

THats pretty much my take. 

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

#24 OFFLINE   ZeroShot

ZeroShot

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, United States

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

Interesting opinion...

Maybe I'm just desensitized to it, because I don't remember any moments in which I was genuinely scared. The game is very tense, yes, but I think that in this case it's due in part to the outdated gameplay. I recall plenty of times when it was suspenseful to get stuck on an object while a ghost was right next to me, or when I'd try to snap a Zero Shot and be a split second off as the ghost comes in for a hug. The fact that you can fire off the camera like crazy and get nowhere doesn't help either! :P

I think at some points the game even became more frustrating than tense to me, especially during Night 3. Having to face Wandering Monk and Long Hair Woman simultaneously in Fishtank Room is NOT a fun experience.

I don't play the Fatal Frame games so much for the scare factor. I play for the other important things: atmosphere, story, tension, creepiness, and most importantly fun and unique gameplay. If I manage to be genuinely scared at some point, the game has done a fine job.

Feitan_vs_Zazan.gif

#25 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

Lingering Shadow

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,158 posts
  • Location日上山

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

Another thing that kills the game for me would have to be those puzzles. They dumb them down after that until some of those puzzles came back in the third game.

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

#26 OFFLINE   Kouta Koikawa

Kouta Koikawa

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 236 posts
  • LocationTampere, Finland

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:51 AM

The comments ZeroShot made about outdated gameplay got me thinking. It might be that these outdated game/control mechanics are required to make a 3rd person horror game scary. Or at least they make it scarier than it could otherwise be. This same thing happened to an extent with the Silent Hill series. There was much talk about changing the control scheme for SH Homecoming and many fans were strongly opposed to that. The reason was that the controls in the previous games was one of the reasons why they were scary. It made the character and thus the player feel helpless. Now game designers are going different route to have this same feeling of insecurity. They remove combat altogether like Outlast and Amnesia games did. This seems to be the only solution unless one wants to use outdated control schemes. Games intended as horror games but having fluid and versatile controls tend to become action games first and foremost. The feeling of dread and insecurity gets diminished even if the enemies are difficult.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame, Project Zero, Opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users