Anyone trying to register a new account:

The forums are currently being targeted by spambots, so new registrations will have to be manually approved by an admin. I'll try to check the list at least once a day, but if you want to be approved more quickly, or if you've been falsely marked as a spammer, please message elwing.alcyone at Gmail.

- midwinter

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
suprimeking : (10 July 2019 - 11:11 AM) discord is acting up on me again
Gbarchetta : (28 July 2019 - 06:20 PM) Urgh, I want a new entry in the series :(
Jamie : (28 July 2019 - 07:29 PM) Same here :C
Meital : (29 February 2020 - 08:45 PM) GabSmolders is having Fatal Frame marathon on Twitch! Just FYI if you're interested watching someone play FF :)
Rheo : (23 April 2020 - 10:38 AM) Been so long
ItsukiFace : (28 May 2020 - 06:21 PM) You better run.
ItsukiFace : (28 May 2020 - 08:46 PM) I'd rather be dry, but at least I'm alive.
thomas06 : (25 July 2020 - 10:32 PM) Hey Guys!
NuMetalWolf : (30 August 2020 - 09:46 AM) It's been 6 years.
NuMetalWolf : (02 September 2020 - 05:36 PM) 12, actually. I wasn't counting the time i spent here before the move out.
NuMetalWolf : (02 September 2020 - 05:39 PM) To whoever reads this, I wish you all good luck.
NuMetalWolf : (02 September 2020 - 05:46 PM) Stay safe, everyone.
NuMetalWolf : (02 September 2020 - 05:47 PM) Bye.
suprimeking : (07 November 2020 - 02:02 PM) hey is discord working for everyone else
NuMetalWolf : (21 November 2020 - 03:15 PM) I don't think there's been anyone on this site in a long time. This is sad.
Rheo : (08 December 2020 - 03:40 PM) no one's actually saying anything in the posts either
ItsukiFace : (10 December 2020 - 03:04 PM) The site's just going through a bit of a dry spell, I'm sure the tempo will pick up soon enough.
ItsukiFace : (30 December 2020 - 06:34 AM) Happy Holidays, BCL Family!
Meital : (06 January 2021 - 01:54 PM) It's 2021 and 20th anniversary for Fatal Frame series this year! I missed you guys!
Tigermausbaer : (06 January 2021 - 11:54 PM) Hello, i wish everyone a happy new year!

Photo

Too Scary to Play?

Fatal Frame Project Zero Opinion

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ZeroShot

ZeroShot

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, United States

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

While looking around the forums, I've found that some members of the community consider this to be their least favorite in the series, and/or avoid playing it because they deem it too scary. I'm confused by this. In regards to a survival horror game, isn't it best for it to be as scary as possible?

Anyway, from what I've played in the past (close to about the end of Night 1 I believe), I didn't feel that it was scary to the point of my enjoyment of the game being hampered. It is seriously creepy though.

This is just my opinion, so I would like to know what other members think of this, especially the ones who do indeed find the game too frightening. Can a survival horror game be so scary that the enjoyment of it is diminished instead of increased?

Admins: I'm not sure if this kind of topic is frowned upon here, so feel free to delete it if you feel that it may cause trouble.

Feitan_vs_Zazan.gif

#2 OFFLINE   Kouta Koikawa

Kouta Koikawa

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 236 posts
  • LocationTampere, Finland

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

I prefer a horror game to be as scary as is humanly possible to create. Unfortunately there haven't been many good ones in a long time. The PS2/Gamecube era was generally the golden age of horror games. Even so, my scariest horror game experience must be with Silent Hill 1 played in 2007. It's a masterpiece of horror atmosphere and ambience. The team at Konami was exceptionally talented and sadly there seem to be no such groups at the moment. I think Fatal Frame 3 is scarier than FF 1 but FF 3 was also the first FF game I played and I consider it one of the best horror games ever made alongside with SH 1 and SH 2.

I find it weird how some people play horror games with lights on or during the day. The game is supposed to be scary so that seems like wasting a good experience. To answer the question, I don't think horror games can be too scary to negatively affect the enjoyment.

#3 OFFLINE   Yashuu

Yashuu

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 312 posts
  • LocationNaked under a haori

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:45 PM

I like games to be as scary as possible, but I've never found any game too scary to play.

I'm probably just weird, but I've never found games any scarier in the dark or anything. The decent ones immerse me regardless of environment.

ZR9JeXg.gif
i will jiggle into your soul

#4 OFFLINE   Chasind_Valentine

Chasind_Valentine

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

I first played Fatal Frame 1 when i was like 8 and it was horrifying. 

Yes it's because i was 8 but i was still very frightened and didn't particularly enjoy playing it for the most part. 

It wasn't until in my teens that i actually enjoyed it because it did become less scarier and i was able to enjoy things about that game that weren't horror related etc.

The same for Fatal Frame 3 even though i was a little older when I played it. I did think it was terrifying to the point where i would take breaks 2-3 days long. I also failed to understand the storyline the first time around probably because i was so scared at the time.

But yes i do think that the enjoyment of a game can be diminished because it's too scary. But in most cases that doesn't happen.

I've learned to enjoy the series more on my playthroughs after the first time.

Sorry for talking about FF3 but it was relevant here^^

#5 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 715 posts
  • LocationIn a nest made of the Kusabi's hair.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

I don't get that.  I don't see how anyone could play a Horror game and think it's too scary to play.  If you enjoy Horror games then you should be hoping to get scared.  I love the original Fatal Frame 2 for it's story but it was a serious downgrade in terms of scare factor to 1 and while some gameplay elements are better than 1's (like combo shots and power up lens') it just doesn't have that same tension that 1 does.  I always feel uneasy when playing 1 and am constantly worried something is going to happen that will scare me (which is how I should be feeling when playing a Horror game) I get that sometimes in 2 (more so in DCB) and the atmosphere is great but it just doesn't have nearly as much payoff as 1 and especially 3 do.

#6 OFFLINE   Kouta Koikawa

Kouta Koikawa

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 236 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:26 PM

"If you enjoy Horror games then you should be hoping to get scared."

Perhaps people want to be scared but not too scared. When the scariness reaches certain level, the pleasure of playing turns into something unpleasant. Similar to what you might exprerience when exploring a building with a reputation of being haunted. You might feel this nice tension when you enter and if you hear weird noises that feeling can become stronger and start to resemble what you would call fear. Then if you see a horrifying ghost or a demon, you just want to get out as quick as you can.

#7 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

• Spirited Aways
  • 715 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:12 AM

It's a game though...I don't see how that feeling could happen.

#8 OFFLINE   Kouta Koikawa

Kouta Koikawa

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:24 AM

Obviously it happens since some people feel that way. Being a bit scared feels nice but too scared and it becomes unpleasant.

#9 OFFLINE   Asou Misaki

Asou Misaki

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 80 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:11 AM

I think my first experience with playing the games is a good example for this. I started out with the first game, and this was after I'd already done some research and decided I really wanted to see and play it myself. I appreciated the horror genre, but I hadn't actually played any horror games before then. So I was pretty much petrified the second I was given control of Mafuyu at the beginning. :lol: I managed to go out into the Rope Hallway, had a mini heart attack when Takamine's ghost popped up, and just couldn't move on.

But I wanted to play so much, and I eventually realized I could cheat by watching video walkthroughs, and then do what I saw in the video. I could handle jump scares in videos a lot better than playing the game the first time through. Of course I eventually got over a lot of my fear, and by the time I finished the first game and got to Crimson Butterfly, I had numbed myself out a bit to the series' style of scares and was able to play by myself.

So basically, I didn't go into the series enjoying being scared. But I've grown to appreciate it and can handle horror games much better now because of it.

#10 OFFLINE   Reala

Reala

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 432 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

scariest game ive ever played (and ive played silent hill 2, condemned etc) it really plays on the psychological side of horror a lot as well as having jump scares, i freaking love it, stayed up to 1oclock in the morning to play it in the dark living room to give myself an even bigger kick. my only complaint is that you cant swap the analogue sticks during finder mode

photo flandrebanner.jpg

#11 OFFLINE   BatCountry

BatCountry

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 246 posts
  • Locationperforming the Kiraigou

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

I like games to be as scary as possible, but I've never found any game too scary to play.

I agree with your opinion. :)

198003testsakuya.png

#12 OFFLINE   ZeroShot

ZeroShot

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, United States

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone! Keep them coming! :)

On the topic of time of day: While I do prefer playing at night, I don't feel that it has too much of an affect on how scary a game can be, kind of like how a game set at night isn't automatically scarier than one set during the daytime. Just my opinion.

Feitan_vs_Zazan.gif

#13 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

• Spirited Aways
  • 715 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

I agree with this.  While it being dark can increase the mood it also means I won't be able to play through the whole or most of the game in one day. :/

#14 OFFLINE   Nephthys13

Nephthys13

Lost Twin

• Spirited Aways
  • 152 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

I personally think, that 'The Tormented' is the scariest in the series so far. As one of the people, who said that the first game is their least favourite I have to say, that it's not the scare factor that makes it my least. It missed the opportunity to make you feel related to the ghosts (which 3 did very well). It didn't even give them names...

But the more I play, the more I feel uneasy. It lets you develop some kind of paranoia... I understand that some people gave up halfway through (although this might be caused by the difficulty of the third night or the lack of any film and medicine). I do not feel this way though...I think, that it is well balanced between subtle horror and some jump scares, scary as hell but not to the point, where it becomes unplayable (no game has managed to be that scary to me :/). 

So short answer: Scary-Yes; Too Scary-No :)

#15 OFFLINE   Zombie369

Zombie369

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:56 PM

I too like games to be as scary as possible, but personally I've never played a game that was too scary for me to play. I guess because I've watched horror movies and played scary games since I was a little kid so I'm kind of immune to it. The scariest game I had ever played was the first Siren game for the PS2 I guess because it was so hard and felt more realistic than games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and Fatal Frame (no health items, very weak characters who can die in one or two hits, etc).

The scariest Fatal Frame game in my opinion was the first one. The ghosts looked more deformed than the ones in FF2 and the game went into more detail about how each one died.

#16 OFFLINE   Kouta Koikawa

Kouta Koikawa

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 236 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:07 AM

One thing darkness does for the playing experience is enhancing immersion. This happens because you have no other visual stimulation except the game. This works expecially well in horror games since they rely on immersion a lot.

#17 OFFLINE   Chasind_Valentine

Chasind_Valentine

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

It's a game though...I don't see how that feeling could happen.

Like Kouta said, it's all about how much the individual wants to be scared.

An example:

"Ooooh Fatal Frame 1 looks cool and scary. Hmm I'll buy it. Hopefully I won't get nightmares" I have nightmares. I bought it because it was scary, but at the same time, didn't want nightmares. If i get something I don't want from the game, then that makes it less enjoyable obviously.

It also has a lot to do with how easily scared someone is. From the sound of it, you seem harder to scare than me, therefore I am of course going to think that Fatal Frame 1 is too scary to play way before you ever would!

#18 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

• Spirited Aways
  • 715 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:53 PM

Not really. XD  I'm very easily scared but I love that feeling.

#19 OFFLINE   Chasind_Valentine

Chasind_Valentine

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:56 AM

Buutttt you just really helped me prove my point.

You may love that feeling, but me, or someone else may hate it! ♥

#20 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

• Spirited Aways
  • 715 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:19 AM

I still think all the games should be more like the first one in terms of difficulty and scares.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame, Project Zero, Opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users