Signups for the 2017 Christmas Exchange are open! Come and join us for spooky festive gifts!

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
Hex : (08 November 2017 - 06:12 PM) Yesss, headphones.  I think you can hear doors being closed in Rei's house too.
Hex : (09 November 2017 - 01:03 PM) Damn, I didn't know they were closing down the miiverse until too late.  My screenshots.  :(
midwinter : (09 November 2017 - 01:40 PM) Argh, no backups? That sucks :(
Hex : (09 November 2017 - 01:48 PM) On the bright side, I still have an album full of pretty scenery and Hisoka looking confused.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) Nintendo shouldn't have shut down Miiverse.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) People loved it.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) And they should have incorporated it onto the Switch.
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:51 AM) Finally finished TEW2, t'was excellent.
GreekShadow : (12 November 2017 - 05:14 AM) I'm glad you enjoed it Hex!How was it comparing to the first one though(,which i personally disliked)?
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:11 PM) I've only played the first for a few hours (didn't like it much either), but it was a big improvement.  The gameplay is fun, the stealth works a lot better, the open world map isn't too big but there's sidequests (one with a cool ghost lady!) and some interesting things to do.
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:17 PM) I was really impressed with the story since it was one of the things that put me off the first. The last 20 minutes were so good, definitely one of the best endings I've seen in awhile.
Daz Hinasaki : (12 November 2017 - 07:17 PM) Hey guys I'm finishing fatal frame 1 on my twitch channel tonight! :) love you to join me https://www.twitch.tv/chunzbunz
GreekShadow : (13 November 2017 - 05:36 AM) oh sounds cool thank you hex!And for me also the story of the first one put me off,glad the second one is better
Hex : (16 November 2017 - 12:01 PM) TIL: ghost marriage is actually practiced in China.   :staffsan:
Rheo : (16 November 2017 - 12:13 PM) O_O
Rheo : (16 November 2017 - 12:13 PM) oh yeah there's a local movie here called The Ghost Bride and the actress playing that is half-Chinese
Hex : (21 November 2017 - 07:58 PM) Do you ever start typing and find yourself wondering, "when did this become a novel?"
AnimalLover4... : (21 November 2017 - 10:22 PM) Eiji Otsuka.
Hex : (21 November 2017 - 11:46 PM) Where?   :icon_lordhimuro:
AnimalLover4... : (22 November 2017 - 06:19 AM) LOL

Photo
- - - - -

Fatal Frame Tarot

Fatal Frame Series Fanworks

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sora2522

sora2522

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

Hey guys

So I remember that I posted in the old forum about working on a Fatal Frame tarot deck. However, since I've been a bit more focused on my Lolita (fashion, not based on the book :P) tarot, it's been on the backburner. BUT I decided to pull out my FF tarot file and skim through to see what ideas I can get, and I'll be slowly working on it and whatnot. I wanted to get some input from people that are obviously fans of the series, but also maybe a few tarot enthusiasts about ideas for the deck. (It's currently 5:36 in the morning so I can't think of much else to say but I'll keep this thread somewhat updated hopefully)

EDIT: I'm gonna make a master post of ideas that we've come up with for the major arcana, as well as the minor arcana (cuz I wanna have actual imagery rather than the boring ol' suits by themselves)

MAJOR ARCANA

Spoiler

#2 OFFLINE   MaruDashi

MaruDashi

Lost Twin

• Spirited Aways
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

I still have my tarot set and can offer some input. 

The fool [0]: Upright: Beginnings, innocence, spontaneity, a free spirit Reversed: Naivety, foolishness, recklessness, risk-taking

Character- I'm thinking Yae. She was innocent and does represent a new beginning when she escapes the village and starts her knew life, but did so by her risk of running away with her sister.

Magician [1]: Upright: Power, skill, concentration, action, resourcefulness Reversed: Manipulation, poor planning, latent talents                                             Character- Yashuu. She did plan for the rift to spread, but didnt succeed and manipulated a lot of people to try

High Priestess [2]: Upright: Intuition, Higher powers, mystery, subconscious mind Reversed: Hidden agendas, need to listen to inner voice

Character- Sae. She had no intentions of escaping with her sister and does have some sort of higher power with the way she can control the Kusabi

Empress [3]: Upright: Fertility, femininity, beauty, nature, abundance Reversed: Creative block, dependence on others

Character: Sakuya. She had a child and was a beautiful woman who was very kind to Misaki, however she was very ill and therefore dependent

Emperor [4]: Upright: Authority, father-figure, structure, solid foundation Reversed: Domination, excessive control, rigidity, inflexibility

Character: Either Souya Yomotsuki or Ryokan Kurosawa would work here. Both were fathers who would not bend on their preparations for their ceremonies

Heirophant [5]: Upright: Religion, group identification, conformity, tradition, beliefs Reversed: Restriction, challenging the status quo

Character: Kirie. She represents a holy being but goes against her role and falls in love

Lovers [6]: Upright: Love, union, relationships, values alignment, choices Reversed: Disharmony, imbalance, misalignment of values

Character: Miyako Sudo and Masumi Makimura. I think its pretty self explanatory

Chariot [7]: Upright: Control, will power, victory, assertion, determination Reversed: Lack of control and direction, aggression

Character: Reika. She was to be the carrier [chariot] of the sorrows of others, now shes just a being of mindless anger, wanting others to feel the pain she did

Strength [8]: Upright: Strength, courage, patience, control, compassion Reversed: Weakness, self-doubt, lack of self-discipline

Character: Itsuki. He agreed to do the ritual to protect Yae and Sae, but because of his self doubt, he could not complete his ritual

Hermit [9]: Upright: Soul-searching, introspection, being alone, inner guidance Reversed: Isolation, loneliness, withdrawal

Character: Kyouka Kuze. Her love for Akito is strong and she passes this love to her children, but not seeing him drives her to isolate herself from everyone

Wheel of Fortune [10]: Upright: Good luck, karma, life cycles, destiny, a turning point Reversed: Bad luck, negative external forces, out of control

Character: you could really do any main character. Each is exposed to negative external forces but helps the ghosts move on [life cycle] and have new resolve on their lives [turning point]. I think maybe having all of them appear on the card might be nice 

Justice [11]: Upright: Justice, fairness, truth, cause and effect, law Reversed: Unfairness, lack of accountability, dishonesty

Character: Choushiro. Obviously, hes a detective who fools others. Of course, he didnt realize either he was a ghost, but it can still count as dishonesty

Hanged Man [12]: Upright: Suspension, restriction, letting go, sacrifice Reversed: Martyrdom, indecision, delay

Character: Another good Reika, given she was literally suspended for a while, as well as having to sacrifice her attachments but doesnt fully [indecision]

Death [13]: Upright: Endings, beginnings, change, transformation, transition Reversed: Resistance to change, unable to move on

Character: Rei would be good here. Not being able to let go of Yuu pulled her to the manor of sleep, but she accepts he is gone and changes

Temperance [14]: Upright: Balance, moderation, patience, purpose, meaning Reversed: Imbalance, excess, lack of long-term vision

Character: Misaki. She searches for her past to uncover answers [purpose, meaning] which [possibly] results in her death [from her lack of long-term vision]

Devil [15]: Upright: Bondage, addiction, sexuality, materialism Reversed: Detachment, breaking free, power reclaimed

Character: You could use Kirie again [she was bounded and torn apart, eventually is freed] or you could go with Watashi/Kageri. She is bound to her grief over her sister, which she then uses a doll to free herself [in a sense] by becoming the dead sister, pushing around her own "dead body" in a wheelchair.

Tower [16]: Upright: Disaster, upheaval, sudden change, revelation Reversed: Avoidance of disaster, fear of change

Character: Madoka. Shes afraid of the curse [avoidance of disaster] but falls victim of it quite early [sudden change, disaster]

Star [17]: Upright: Hope, spirituality, renewal, inspiration, serenity Reversed: Lack of faith, despair, discouragement

Character: Mio. Shes determined to save her sister and leave the village, though she is given the option to leave without her [lack of faith, discouragement]

Moon [18]: Upright: Illusion, fear, anxiety, insecurity, subconscious Reversed: Release of fear, unhappiness, confusion

Character: Mayu. She starts off afraid and sees flashes of the past [illusions] but soon is in a state of being in and out of possession [confusion]. Once fully possessed, she says she wants to die [unhappiness, release of fear] to complete the ritual

Sun [19]: Upright: Fun, warmth, success, positivity, vitality Reversed: Temporary depression, lack of success

Character: Hmm...Id go with Amane. She was kind to Reika and helped her reunite with Kaname, only to ruin the ritual and was sacrificed

Judgement [20]: Upright: Judgement, rebirth, inner calling, absolution Reversed: Self-doubt, refusal of self-examination 

Character: This could go to a lot of characters...but I'll go with Mafuyu. He stayed behind to help Kirie stay strong after being called to the mansion. Cant really think anything for the reverse though...

World [21]: Upright: Completion, integration, accomplishment, travel Reversed: Lack of completion, lack of closure

Character: Miku. She helped Kirie find her resolve but never found full closure over the death of her brother, thus her being pulled into the manor of sleep

Well, thats my two cents

• sora2522 likes this
technologiccopy.png

#3 OFFLINE   sora2522

sora2522

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:01 AM

That's actually perfect. The major arcana was my biggest worry, since I've already categorized the minor arcana to contain each different game (I changed it from wands / cups / swords / pentacles to ropes / butterflies / stakes / masks. You can guess which gameworld corresponds to which suit. It actually worked out the best). I'll take a look at your suggestions and see what I come up with. Eventually I'll try to upload my notes as well. Thanks so much!

I'm also looking for any possible artists that would be willing to try their skills with this project. Keep in mind it would be long-term, but if you are interested, let me know!

#4 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

This sounds like a really cool idea! I like having ropes / butterflies / stakes / masks be the four suits. It's been a really long time since I took an interest in tarot cards, but here are a few suggestions for the Major Arcana.

0. Fool - I agree with Yae for this. Ryozo might be another good one. (Taking your family to live in the haunted mansion, Ryozo, really?) He fits the journeyman image well.

1. Magician - I think You Haibara might be a better fit for this than Yashuu; he seems more flexible, innovative and resourceful than she is, and more manipulative as well.

2. High Priestess - Sakuya. Her talent as a medium is one of the big driving forces in her life, to the point where her own voice is drowned out by all the other spirits, and it’s not clear what she really wants.

3. Empress - I thought Rei might be good for this one. Under normal circumstances it sounds like she’s a pretty warm and energetic person, but in FF3 when she’s depressed she has a tendency to lean on other people too much.

4. Emperor - Yashuu. She's all about structure and tradition, and she's the only one where I think her rigidity really proved to be her downfall.

5. Hierophant - Hmm, maybe Shigeto Haibara?

6. Lovers - I think Souya and Sayaka would work. At the beginning their goals and personalities harmonise, but they grow apart.

7. Chariot - I agree with MaruDashi that Reika would work for this.

8. Strength - Another vote for Itsuki.

9. Hermit - I’d go for Kunihiko Asou. His quest to uncover the spirit world isolates him from his colleagues and fellow scholars.

10. Wheel of Fortune - How about the Camera Obscura? It seems to represent a turning point in the life of anyone who owns it, and it can be either a tool for good, ending curses and freeing trapped souls, or a vehicle for madness through overexposure.

11. Justice - Choushiro sounds good to me!

12. Hanged Man - My immediate thought (pretty much the moment I saw the thread title) was Seijiro Makabe for the Hanged Man. It’s sort of about knowledge obtained through suffering, isn’t it? He accepts a painful death if it means he’ll see the Abyss, and the “martyrdom, indecision, delay” aspect reminds me of how he sends Ryozo away but is unwilling to leave himself.

13. Death - Rather than using a character, how about a crimson butterfly?

14. Temperance - I’m stuck on this one, to be honest.

15. Devil - The woman in black (from Spirit Camera). Literal bondage in the form of the vines binding her to the old house, metaphorical bondage in the way she relentlessly searches for Maya and kills anyone who tries to leave her. Like all the main antagonists she also uses the darkness to obtain revenge while suffering as it consumes her.

16. Tower - Any of the main calamities. How about the Kusabi to represent the Repentance, or a reworking of Magaki’s Day Without Suffering painting?

17. Star - I think Miku. She’s very hopeful and supportive in spite of what’s happened to her, and manages to make something positive out of the negative.

18. Moon - Either Mayu or Maya. Both of them seem to spend their lives driven by fear (in Mayu’s case that Mio will leave her, in Maya’s case a more general fear of being alone), but in the end they both accept their fate.

19. Sun - Rei would suit this one too.

20. Judgement - Kirie and Little Kirie. Speaks for itself.

21. World - All the surviving characters having a party on the beach vs. all the characters standing at the Abyss of the Horizon, waiting to cross over after a bad ending. :D

• sora2522 likes this

#5 OFFLINE   MaruDashi

MaruDashi

Lost Twin

• Spirited Aways
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

Oooo, I like those ideas. Its also good input from someone whose played SC...I havent gotten to play it yet ;__;

And doing artwork sounds interesting. Did you just want photo manipulation or for actual drawings? Both I can do....I'm not to great at coloring [digital painting] though 

technologiccopy.png

#6 OFFLINE   sora2522

sora2522

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:11 AM

I'd prefer actual drawings, since I feel like it'd capture the energy that we'd wanna convey a bit better than photo manips

Inputting the few notes that I have for the major arcana now (spoiler for length):

Spoiler

That's all I have in terms of the major arcana. I'll mull it over and see what I like and don't like, and try to hopefully put together a more cohesive idea for these. I agree with MD about getting some nice input from someone who's finished SC, since I have yet to, and since that's the only game that won't have its own suit, it'd be nice to include it in the major arcana and whatnot hehe.

Thanks for all the help you guuuuuys! I don't remember the thread in the old forum getting much attention, so I love that there are people actually contributing this time <3

#7 OFFLINE   MaruDashi

MaruDashi

Lost Twin

• Spirited Aways
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

Well, Sakyua was a mother to Ayako. Or Sayaka could work as Ruka's mother.

Yae in the first game is a mother as well and is revealed to be the great grandmother of Miku and Mafuyu

Kyoka is just mentioned that she helped her son because it was her child with her love, Akito. Its implied that she quickly falls apart because Akito doesnt come back and secludes herself from everyone, which is why I felt she made a good Hermit over Empress

technologiccopy.png

#8 OFFLINE   sora2522

sora2522

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

Ah, true. I may use her for the Hermit then. And like I said before, my knowledge of FF4 is limited to what I read on the wiki XD Sayaka is most likely going to be the winner for the Empress, cuz I'm thinking about using Souya as the Emperor. I'm most likely going to save Yae for later

#9 OFFLINE   sora2522

sora2522

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

I've updated the first post so it has a list of the cards and what ideas we've come up with for each of them. Hopefully this'll help with keeping track of which cards need to be paired with an image

Also, I was wondering: does anyone have any idea as to how to include Tsuki Amano in the deck? Because I feel like she's a main component of the game, and I'd like to have her image included as well. Possibly for Temperance or for the High Priestess?

#10 OFFLINE   MaruDashi

MaruDashi

Lost Twin

• Spirited Aways
  • 175 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:10 AM

Id looove to see her as the World. She left music because she felt it was done but came back because she missed it. I think it fits the World pretty well =3

technologiccopy.png

#11 OFFLINE   sora2522

sora2522

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:51 AM

Hmmm, possibly. My only reservation with using her for the world would be that considering she's only a small part of the full Fatal Frame universe, she may not be...important enough? (for lack of a better term) for the World card. But I can see it. I'll definitely consider it though~

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame Series, Fanworks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users