Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
midwinter : (14 June 2018 - 10:10 PM) all the rumours and stuff from the thread in the Fatal Frame News forum
midwinter : (14 June 2018 - 11:01 PM) Mr Johnny> I dunno what to say, dude. I'm sure no one wants you to feel tortured. But people shouldn't pretend to believe claims that sound really unlikely just because you're invested in it, either
midwinter : (14 June 2018 - 11:01 PM) I guess just... try not to take things so personally. It's not a reflection on you if people have doubts, it's just common sense
Chou : (15 June 2018 - 02:57 PM) No one is personally attacking you over the rumors, we just have doubts as there's been no other news and no other sources reporting anything
Mr Johnny : (18 June 2018 - 02:09 AM) I know folks I Very much know but it is my strange habbit to open up to strangers
Mr Johnny : (18 June 2018 - 02:11 AM) and I know Very much no one is attacking me I am not a baka but as I said the events of these past years was harsh to me
Mr Johnny : (18 June 2018 - 02:13 AM) even my Zodiac sign feature this strange habit,
Mr Johnny : (18 June 2018 - 02:16 AM) I just wanted to spend my Holiday with you guy and don't understand you as a whole the reason of my struggles cause you never was EVER!!! P.s "baka" is not my intended word, obv.
Mr Johnny : (18 June 2018 - 02:25 AM) I did't intend to make melodrama it is in your codswalloping mind. What a naive thinking.
midwinter : (18 June 2018 - 03:43 PM) Okay, enough. This isn't going anywhere helpful so just drop it, please
midwinter : (18 June 2018 - 04:03 PM) I've been thinking about the FF4 anniversary next month - would anyone be interested in a little drabble/paint art fest or something?
midwinter : (18 June 2018 - 04:03 PM) Nothing big, I just feel bad that we always seem to miss celebrating anniversaries
TomoChan : (18 June 2018 - 11:38 PM) I would be interested! I actually started drawing a picture of the FF4 cast for the anniversary :P hard to believe it's ten years old.
Chou : (19 June 2018 - 06:28 PM) I haven't drawn in foooorever but I'd try and join!
midwinter : (19 June 2018 - 07:02 PM) \o/
midwinter : (19 June 2018 - 07:03 PM) anyone else reading, CONSIDER THIS YOUR PEER PRESSURE
Chou : (19 June 2018 - 07:15 PM) Yeeessss! The spiritual power of all the  ghosts demand you all join!
Chou : (19 June 2018 - 07:16 PM) and hopefully by that point I've finished the game lol
midwinter : (19 June 2018 - 09:31 PM) i'm cheering for you!
Chou : (20 June 2018 - 01:36 PM) \o/ !!! I can't believe it's been 10 years since the game... 8 years since the patch was completed. Craziness!

Photo
- - - - -

What do you prefer?

Fatal Frame Series Poll Localization

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Which do you prefer? (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Shaeki v Camera Obscura

1. Shaeki (6 votes [17.14%])

Percentage of vote: 17.14%

2. Voted Camera Obscura (29 votes [82.86%])

Percentage of vote: 82.86%

Game Title?

1. Zero (13 votes [37.14%])

Percentage of vote: 37.14%

2. Project Zero (8 votes [22.86%])

Percentage of vote: 22.86%

3. Voted Fatal Frame (14 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   MacabrelleEnvy

MacabrelleEnvy

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 418 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques and Cafe

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

Just wondering what your preferences are when it comes to the series.

#2 OFFLINE   Rheo

Rheo

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Philippines

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

Camera Obscura, Fatal Frame

the camera: more meaning/has a concept

the title: because it's obvious.

th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo2_250_zps034th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo6_250_zps979  
One, Three, and Four, my favorite characters as of now.
Two? No. Five? No!
and Zero? NO!

#3 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 821 posts
  • LocationThe white sands of limbo

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

Camera Obscura and Project Zero because it's what I'm used to.  Fatal Frame's always sounded cheesy to me but I'd have been fine with Zero. 

#4 OFFLINE   Homuranagi

Homuranagi

RED CHILLI HOT PEPPER????

• Crazy Noisy Bizarre Admin
  • 422 posts
  • LocationDuwang Town

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

Was never much one for Fatal Frame either (and people complaining "Project Zero" sounds silly and "Fatal Frame" is somehow great just drive me further against it :P ). Zero is what I'm best used to, I think, and I just like the way it sounds (and its meaning, which is actually rather deep and interesting).

I prefer Shaeiki to Camera Obscura for the most part, because it has a stronger meaning, but I wouldn't want it used in the localisations. I like them being different.

AAHOrHo.gif

#5 OFFLINE   Arisa

Arisa

Unknown Victim

• Spirited Aways
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:37 AM

I prefer Fatal Frame cause it describes the game better. When you see the name Project Zero, it isn't implied that it's about taking pictures of ghosts. So, Project Zero to me doesn't describe the game well and it doesn't sound like a horror game.

#6 OFFLINE   Rheo

Rheo

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 497 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:09 AM

I prefer Fatal Frame cause it describes the game better. When you see the name Project Zero, it isn't implied that it's about taking pictures of ghosts. So, Project Zero to me doesn't describe the game well and it doesn't sound like a horror game.

Glad to know someone agrees with me on the same thing as it's really what I meant XD

th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo2_250_zps034th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo6_250_zps979  
Two? No. Five? No!
and Zero? NO!

#7 OFFLINE   MacabrelleEnvy

MacabrelleEnvy

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 418 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques and Cafe

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:18 AM

I like Fatal Frame more than Project Zero, but I think that's because the word project has me cringing from all the high school and college "projects" i've had to do over the years. I like Zero the best though because like Chelsea said there are so many meanings behind it that fit the series. I like Shaeki more than Camera Obscura though. First, because I have an obsession with Japan and the language. Second, because again when it's drawn out into the symbolism I think it fits better. A camera obscura in real photography terms is a box with a small pinhole used to photograph. While the name might fit otherwise this is what I think of when I hear the term caera obscura (and also what I find when I search it online :/). Shaeki literally translates to something like "shadow viewing machine" whereas camera obscura is "dark room".

#8 OFFLINE   Kazuko

Kazuko

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 97 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:30 AM

Even though I refer to it as Fatal Frame, I easily favor Zero as the title. It's so simple, yet its double meaning does relate to the theme of the games.

りがとう、けど。。。

4tvar8.png

tumblr_inline_oicei4xitO1s0fmkz_540.png

1htlc0.gif

#9 OFFLINE   Kouta Koikawa

Kouta Koikawa

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 236 posts
  • LocationTampere, Finland

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

I think Fatal Frame is a better name. Fatal frames are what the characters are using quite literally so it suits the series well. It also has a nice ring to it unlike Project Zero or simply Zero.

#10 OFFLINE   BatCountry

BatCountry

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 246 posts
  • Locationperforming the Kiraigou

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:30 PM

For me it's;

-Camera Obscura

-"Zero"

I prefer the name "Camera Obscura" because I've always called the camera by this name, and I've never seen "Shiaeki" in any game I own :0

& I prefer "Zero" because that's really a good name for the series, even if I'm used to hearing and seeing "Project Zero" in my games. And I don't really like the name "Fatal Frame", but don't ask me why, I don't know...

198003testsakuya.png

#11 OFFLINE   TomoChan

TomoChan

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 285 posts
  • LocationChamber of Thorns

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

I prefer Camera Obscura cause it sounds cooler to me same with Fatal Frame being the name of the series. Guess because I'm used it being the titles for me. Though I do like the title Zero too.

• AnimalLover47999 likes this

a80Suw0.png

#12 OFFLINE   Cursed Lemon

Cursed Lemon

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

Why was it even called Project Zero to begin with?

• Rheo likes this

#13 OFFLINE   Rheo

Rheo

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 497 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

may Project One and Project Two also begin. EXACTLY this. Why? I don't know.

:(

• Cursed Lemon likes this

Two? No. Five? No!
and Zero? NO!

#14 OFFLINE   Adventurer

Adventurer

Unknown Victim

• Spirited Aways
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:50 AM

When you see the name Project Zero, it isn't implied that it's about taking pictures of ghosts. So, Project Zero to me doesn't describe the game well and it doesn't sound like a horror game.

When I first saw the name "Project Zero" I actually avoided looking into the game as it sounded like a shooter game or something similar with soldiers and/or secret agency operatives. That says a lot about how bad a name it is IMO. The "Fatal Frame" name, despite being a bit corny, invokes a spooky feeling and is a great descriptive title so I always use it when talking about  the game, despite always having to explain afterwards that it's known in another name here in Europe.

I don't know the answer, but my theory is that it was a mistake from the European publishers, with my hint being the fact that the team that brought the game from Japan to America was called 'Project Zero' , as in, their Project was to translate and localise Zero, and the European publishers somehow mixed up that team's name with the game's name.

#15 OFFLINE   FiliusMartis

FiliusMartis

Kagome, Kagome Player

• Administrators
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:45 AM

I don't know the answer, but my theory is that it was a mistake from the European publishers, with my hint being the fact that the team that brought the game from Japan to America was called 'Project Zero' , as in, their Project was to translate and localise Zero, and the European publishers somehow mixed up that team's name with the game's name.

This is most likely the answer. If you look at credits for other games, you see Project "Title" listed as the localization team quite frequently. Of course, when you remember that "Zero" as it's called in Japanese would essentially mean "Ghost" ...eh.

#16 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

Just a point of interest, but the title "Project 0" actually predates either Zero or Fatal Frame; it was the working title for the series when it was still in development, according to this interview with Kikuchi. So it's possible the European localisation team took it from there.

• Rheo likes this

#17 Guest_Haise_*

Guest_Haise_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2015 - 06:23 PM

Camera Obscura, because it's a legit thing, while Shaeki isn't (as far as I know). CO also sounds more mysterious/magical, while Shaeki sounds like an animu character/special attack. Also, Camera=Camera, Obscura=Obscure=something you cannot access/see ---> A camera that let's you see/access things otherwise impossible to see/access. Shaeki doesn't hold a meaning (to me, at least).

It's also very latin/latin-ish sounding, and latin is/was always the language of magical/supernatural stuff.

Fatal Frame, because you kill ghosts (Fatal) with taking camera shots (Frame), and since Fatal means something resulting in death, it's much more fitting for a horror game. Whereas Project Zero sounds like a sci-fi game. It also does not mean anything. What Project? Zero? Who is Zero? What is Zero?

It's like how a company gets an alias name for a game before it's release, then they forget to give it an actual name. Like how the next Silent Hill game's demo was P.T., but the full game is obviously not gonna be called this. 

Actually, I even remember that prior to my first encounter with the FF series, I saw many people talking about a Project Zero game, and I even thought it was a Call of Duty/Crysis style game. How badly mistaken I was. 

#18 OFFLINE   Daniele199

Daniele199

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMinakami village

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:42 PM

Fatal frame sounds too much like a commercial name, sincerely. I like and i'm used to Project Zero (or Zero) because it's more close to the original name. And I chose Camera Obscura.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame Series, Poll, Localization

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users