Signups for the 2017 Christmas Exchange are open! Come and join us for spooky festive gifts!

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
midwinter : (08 November 2017 - 03:29 PM) Ok, playing with headphones is definitely superior
midwinter : (08 November 2017 - 03:31 PM) I knew the music in Rei's house changed after Miku's chapters start but I never noticed it has these little bumps and rustles that make it sound like something's moving in the house
midwinter : (08 November 2017 - 05:41 PM) also there is more ghost talk during Kei's phone call!
midwinter : (08 November 2017 - 05:41 PM) i couldn't hear most of it, though, I need to listen again
Hex : (08 November 2017 - 06:12 PM) Yesss, headphones.  I think you can hear doors being closed in Rei's house too.
Hex : (09 November 2017 - 01:03 PM) Damn, I didn't know they were closing down the miiverse until too late.  My screenshots.  :(
midwinter : (09 November 2017 - 01:40 PM) Argh, no backups? That sucks :(
Hex : (09 November 2017 - 01:48 PM) On the bright side, I still have an album full of pretty scenery and Hisoka looking confused.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) Nintendo shouldn't have shut down Miiverse.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) People loved it.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) And they should have incorporated it onto the Switch.
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:51 AM) Finally finished TEW2, t'was excellent.
GreekShadow : (12 November 2017 - 05:14 AM) I'm glad you enjoed it Hex!How was it comparing to the first one though(,which i personally disliked)?
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:11 PM) I've only played the first for a few hours (didn't like it much either), but it was a big improvement.  The gameplay is fun, the stealth works a lot better, the open world map isn't too big but there's sidequests (one with a cool ghost lady!) and some interesting things to do.
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:17 PM) I was really impressed with the story since it was one of the things that put me off the first. The last 20 minutes were so good, definitely one of the best endings I've seen in awhile.
Daz Hinasaki : (12 November 2017 - 07:17 PM) Hey guys I'm finishing fatal frame 1 on my twitch channel tonight! :) love you to join me https://www.twitch.tv/chunzbunz
GreekShadow : (13 November 2017 - 05:36 AM) oh sounds cool thank you hex!And for me also the story of the first one put me off,glad the second one is better
Hex : (16 November 2017 - 12:01 PM) TIL: ghost marriage is actually practiced in China.   :staffsan:
Rheo : (16 November 2017 - 12:13 PM) O_O
Rheo : (16 November 2017 - 12:13 PM) oh yeah there's a local movie here called The Ghost Bride and the actress playing that is half-Chinese

Photo
- - - - -

Ruka vs. Misaki

Fatal Frame IV Ruka Minazuki Misaki Asou Project Zero IV

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,124 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Who was more qualified to be the protagonist?

Previous discussion:

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3

#2 OFFLINE   Aya

Aya

Missing Person

• Spirited Aways
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

I don't know how much more there is to add to the previous conversation, but I also felt Misaki more qualitfied to be the main protagonist. Ruka's character always felt kind of plain to me, and Misaki at least had a connection with the rest of the series, being an Asou, and also the drive to find out what was going on. I think Misaki's personality and background draw people to her more than they are drawn to Ruka. P: But obviously, since Ruka was chosen as the main protagonist we learn more about her and her background. It would have been interesting to see how it would have played out had they chosen Misaki as the main protagonist.

ffsigcopy.jpg

OpZero founder 43e63ebfa83c600b448ddba04293c00d-d4x76wf

#3 OFFLINE   MaruDashi

MaruDashi

Lost Twin

• Spirited Aways
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:58 AM

Misaki was a very dynamic character and had a great past that tied to the antagonist, but Ruka [as boring as she was] had the back story that was better fitted to be the main protagonist. I really wished they gave her more of a personality. Hell, Madoka had more personality. 

I'm sure they couldve tweeked the story so that Misaki was forced to fight Sakuya to break the curse despite being so close to her and had this glorious bitter-sweet ending and just killed off Ruka and I probably wouldve liked the game a lot more

technologiccopy.png

#4 OFFLINE   Sosezi

Sosezi

High School Student

• Spirited Aways
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

Interesting Opinions by the way

If Misaki was main character that would be very impressive and cool!!

#5 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 690 posts
  • LocationThe Red Room.

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:35 AM

I think both characters are equally important to the story because without both of them then the spirits there would have never been put to rest (as Sakuya needed the other part of her soul that was trapped in Miya along with a portion of Misaki's soul before she could perform the Ceremony of Passage again to escape from the Island and cause the whole world to bloom which is why she called Misaki back), and without Ruka there to stop her Sakuya would have accomplished that and the whole world would have perished.  Misaki may have had more of a connection to Sakuya but that doesn't really make her more qualified to be the main protagonist.  Both have interesting backstories and circumstances.

#6 OFFLINE   Persephone

Persephone

Missing Person

• Spirited Aways
  • 58 posts
  • LocationRogetsu Island

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:43 AM

Misaki. For all the reasons people listed, plus she always felt like more of a leader. Ruka just seems like more of a follower.

Misaki and Madoka were the ones who returned to the island first. Then Ruka came trailing after them. Just seems like if Misaki and Madoka never went, then Ruka wouldn't have bothered.

collage.jpg

#7 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Lighthouse Climber

• Haori Inspector
  • 777 posts
  • LocationZero Stage

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:06 AM

Misaki is following Sakuya the entire game, leading Madoka to die in the process.  Ruka had her own reasons for returning but wanted to help her friends.  The latter fits as the protagonist a lot better, imo.

• Rheo likes this

#8 OFFLINE   Persephone

Persephone

Missing Person

• Spirited Aways
  • 58 posts
  • LocationRogetsu Island

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:31 AM

Misaki is following Sakuya the entire game, leading Madoka to die in the process.  Ruka had her own reasons for returning but wanted to help her friends.  The latter fits as the protagonist a lot better, imo.

Eh... The only thing is, Misaki doesn't know it. I think her and Madoka returning to Rogetsu gave Ruka the push she needed to go back.

And it wasn't entirely Misaki's fault that Madoka was killed. She was distracted by her own fragmented memories, and when she came to her senses Misaki was gone.

collage.jpg

#9 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 690 posts
  • LocationThe Red Room.

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:37 AM

Also it was Madoka's choice to go back to the island with Misaki.  Her notes state that she was worried Misaki had been "tricked" so she decided to go back to Rougetsu island with her.  Misaki never forced Madoka to go with her.

#10 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Lighthouse Climber

• Haori Inspector
  • 777 posts
  • LocationZero Stage

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:39 AM

Misaki's more aware as time goes on, saying she can't resist Sakuya's pull before the stage.  I know Madoka's death isn't completely her fault, but in response to Misaki being a leader, she's a pretty bad one.  

Edit: never forced her, no, but Misaki's the reason she's there.  Madoka expressed plenty times she just wanted to leave but was told to keep quiet.

• Rheo likes this

#11 OFFLINE   Persephone

Persephone

Missing Person

• Spirited Aways
  • 58 posts
  • LocationRogetsu Island

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:42 AM

Misaki's more aware as time goes on, saying she can't resist Sakuya's pull before the stage.  I know Madoka's death isn't completely her fault, but in response to Misaki being a leader, she's a pretty bad one.  

Edit: never forced her, no, but Misaki is the reason she's there.  Madoka expressed plenty times she just wanted to leave but was told to keep quiet.

I disagree. When you're life is on the line, (as it clearly was) people are capable of doing things they wouldn't normally do. For example, running off to a deserted island and trying to remember your past...

collage.jpg

#12 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Lighthouse Climber

• Haori Inspector
  • 777 posts
  • LocationZero Stage

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:51 AM

Misaki went to the island because a girl who looked like her told her to.  You can interpret this as Sakuya's influence starting to take a hold of her.  Regaining her memories was a part of it, but like Ruka, she had that additional push to get out the door.

#13 OFFLINE   Persephone

Persephone

Missing Person

• Spirited Aways
  • 58 posts
  • LocationRogetsu Island

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:08 AM

I, personally, don't see it that way. But everyone has their different ideas of what happens in the games. *shrug*

collage.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame IV, Ruka Minazuki, Misaki Asou, Project Zero IV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users