Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
midwinter : (12 October 2017 - 12:37 PM) Maybe Spirit Camera since I don't replay that very often...
GreekShadow : (12 October 2017 - 02:45 PM) I might replay FF3.Not sure if I should start a brand new playthrough or one with my unlockes though hmmm.I have years to play FF3 ;_;
Hex : (12 October 2017 - 02:57 PM) Just think: yukatas.   :icon_ff3miku1:
Hex : (12 October 2017 - 02:57 PM) (Why Rei doesn't have a blue one will forever be a mystery)
asagi : (12 October 2017 - 04:37 PM) I want to replay the games but mom threw the ps3 out of the window :zca rei:
Eisenalex : (12 October 2017 - 11:16 PM) Why would she do that?
Eisenalex : (14 October 2017 - 11:30 AM) I just learned that there's apparently a manga based on Siren made by Junji Ito.
Hex : (15 October 2017 - 01:11 PM) If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's unsurprisingly pretty gross.
Eisenalex : (15 October 2017 - 02:20 PM) It's Junji Ito. Of course it gets either super weird or gross, lol.
NightmarePic... : (15 October 2017 - 03:15 PM) And me being curious I had to look it up. Yup definitely gross XD
Eisenalex : (15 October 2017 - 05:17 PM) Did you think it was that bad? I enjoy Ito's stuff a lot.
NightmarePic... : (15 October 2017 - 05:32 PM) Meh.. It wasn't all that bad. Just more unsettling than "gross". Those weird worm girls or whatever are way worse *cringes*
Eisenalex : (15 October 2017 - 05:41 PM) I'm not sure what you mean by "worm girls". He did a couple of slug-transformations, though.
NightmarePic... : (16 October 2017 - 11:02 PM) That was it.. yup lol
Hex : (17 October 2017 - 05:33 PM) My new washing machine makes jingles whenever it's finished like an ice cream van.
NightmarePic... : (17 October 2017 - 06:12 PM) I... don't think that's good Hex.. You might want to check what's in there other than clothes lol
Kouta Koikawa : (17 October 2017 - 06:28 PM) Maybe they come with entertaining sound effects these days.
midwinter : (17 October 2017 - 07:15 PM) A lot of the new ones are supposed to chime to let you know when the cycle is done
midwinter : (17 October 2017 - 07:16 PM) Mine does, at least
Eisenalex : (17 October 2017 - 09:59 PM) The future is now.

Photo
- - - - -

Did they fall on purpose?

Fatal Frame II Project Zero II Mayu Amakura Sae Kurosawa

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Homuranagi

Homuranagi

RED CHILLI HOT PEPPER????

• Crazy Noisy Bizarre Admin
  • 422 posts
  • LocationDuwang Town

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

There is a clear parallel shown between Mayu and Sae throughout FF2 on many different levels. Both of them fell from a mountain path, incidents which ended up driving wedges between them and their sisters.

In the game, Mayu claims that she jumped from the cliff on purpose. Guidebooks also say she did it out of desperation. Shibata has added to the mix that perhaps she herself no longer knows whether or not it was on purpose.

We know Sae never actually wanted to leave the village, and would much rather have stayed behind and have Yae kill her in the ritual. Did she actually slip, or did she do it as a last ditch effort to get Yae to go along with the ritual, which ended up going badly wrong?

What do you think?

AAHOrHo.gif

#2 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of Chuck Cunningham Syndrome.

• Spirited Aways
  • 675 posts
  • LocationThe Red Room.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

I feel that it's best being unknown so you can draw your own conclusions.  Me personally I don't feel like they intentionally fell.  I mean not only did their fall look nothing like falling on purpose but they also both screamed as falling which can imply that they didn't want to fall down there.

#3 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Lighthouse Climber

• Haori Inspector
  • 758 posts
  • LocationZero Stage

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:08 AM

Personally, I think they did.  Frozen Butterfly elaborates a bit on the fall itself, showing Mayu clearly pleased with herself about something (and given the atmosphere of the ending, it's safe to assume it couldn't have been completely innocent), and during the Hellish Abyss battle, she outright confesses she fell on purpose, going on to say how she's glad her leg hurts, and that Mio will do whatever she says.  I know people have defended some of the things she says during the game and HA as her being "confused" or possessed, but saying those things for attention without knowing the truth makes it even more likely she'd have acted impulsively to prevent Mio leaving her, especially when she was much, much younger.  

The same goes for Sae, really.  She lived in a time where the emotions she felt towards her sibling and destiny were accepted, even encouraged, so she wouldn't have to hide her feelings for so long like Mayu did.  You can see through their shared diaries that the Kurosawa twins communicated a lot more than the Amakuras, Sae making it very clear she didn't want to leave the village.  That she happened to fall during their escape seems... a little too convenient, considering how she truly felt.

#4 OFFLINE   Fay-Sa

Fay-Sa

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:17 AM

Did they fall on purpose

tumblr_inline_mlx8h4bQ5a1qz4rgp.gif

Yea I believe they fell on purpose. However I do not believe that somehow Sae had some influence on Mayu to make her jump as a kid(as some people who will not be named have suggested)

The thing is kids do stuff without thinking through, if you try to denies this remember you were, or in some cases still are, a kid and also acted without thinking. Mayu didn't want to be left behind so she went on a impulse, without thinking, and 'slipped'. While I don't think breaking her leg was intentional the fall was. As it would make Mio come back for her, which she did. Also we see her in the Frozen Butterfly ending she clearly happy she hurt her leg, which she also expressed during the fight with Sae.

Same goes for Sae as she wanted to go through with the ritual and stay in the village. So she 'fell' knowing it would be hard to get up, or if anything slow them down, so the villages who they saw looking for them would find them. Her's was a little more thought out, just a bit, and judging by the fact she didn't hurt herself while falling she had a bit more control over it unlike Mayu who did it in the moment.. Please keep in mind I said 'a bit' and I can't say she had control or not. You can right yourself as you fall but it not easy and this is speaking from experience.

Granted said experience was falling many times after jumping from boat to boat but same difference.

Also falling, even on purpose, is scary. You just know 'I'm gonna fall” you don't know the outcome till you land. Even if you have control there a bit of doubt. It that unknown outcome. Even when Mayu work up she thought 'I'm alive” because she wasn't sure what would happen. So don't assume that because they scream they weren't scared and it wasn't on purpose. Also a scream would mean Mio/Yae would...or should..hear them.

Nether wanted to be away from their sister. Both characters will go to the extreme to get what they want.

• midwinter likes this

#5 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of Chuck Cunningham Syndrome.

• Spirited Aways
  • 675 posts
  • LocationThe Red Room.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:38 AM

Yes.  It only makes sense for them to have fallen on purpose.

Edited by pkstarstorm1up, 02 October 2013 - 03:53 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   Zombie369

Zombie369

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

I like to think that Sae fell on purpose, but with Mayu it really was an accident. Through most of the game Mayu is possessed by Sae's ghost so all the things that Mayu says and thinks probably doesn't reflect how she really feels about the situation. She and Mio were just being used by the undead villagers to complete the failed ritual because their situation was similar to Yae and Sae and I think that Mayu really did want to escape the village with Mio and was terrified but she was being controlled by Sae and acted strangely.

#7 OFFLINE   Zerg

Zerg

Missing Person

• Spirited Aways
  • 61 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:00 AM

is mayu clingy crazy enough to have wanting to broke leg just so mio never leave her side? i think so...

#8 Guest_Haise_*

Guest_Haise_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:38 PM

Sae fell on purpose. She was cuckoo wacko even alive. She wanted Yae to come back. Also, the whole game is about Sae wanting Yae to kill her in the ritual. It makes sense that she wanted to get captured with Yae to perform the ritual. She does not want to complete the ritual (in FF2) because she wants to help the village (in fact, she does not give a damn), she just wants Yae. 

Mayu. She most likely fell on purpose. The question is, was she planning it even before the actual "incident", or she just decided to jump right there?

I think she jumped on impulse. She was afraid Mio will leave her behind, so she jumped without thinking of the consequences.

Real thing: She jumpes ---> Breaks her body ---> Mio comes back ---> They will be together again.

Mayu's mind (she was a kid!): ---> She jumpes ---> Mio--->Mio--->Mio comes back ---> They will be together again.

She broke her ankle although it was not her intention, but realized it's a great opportunity to emotionally blackmail Mio. 

It would be kind of messed up if Mayu was actually planning it for a long time. I doubt a little kid is smart/demented enough to do that. 

#9 OFFLINE   Rheo

Rheo

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 482 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Philippines

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:03 PM

All this time I thought that Mayu fell in an accident because in that place, it seemed to be a bit rocky and... she was running. It was slippery too, and maybe her imbalance, while running in her control, is a possibility as well. And... when not careful, she will slide and then fall down. She was closer to the edge of the cliff, trying to catch up with Mio. Perhaps if they are far away from that cliff, then Mayu would have been alright. If I was there, I'd be careful.

th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo2_250_zps034th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo6_250_zps979  
One, Three, and Four, my favorite characters as of now.
Two? No. Five? No!
and Zero? NO!

#10 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

Vampire Slayer in Training

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationSunnydale

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:44 AM

After that one ending in SnC I would have to say yes for Mayu. I've always thought it was on accident but no, SnC gave me a new perspective on her as a character. She and Sae both did it willingly.

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame II, Project Zero II, Mayu Amakura, Sae Kurosawa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users