Anyone trying to register a new account:

The forums are currently being targeted by spambots, so new registrations will have to be manually approved by an admin. I'll try to check the list at least once a day, but if you want to be approved more quickly, or if you've been falsely marked as a spammer, please message elwing.alcyone at Gmail.

- midwinter

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
GregZerO : (04 March 2019 - 11:10 PM) https://www.youtube....h?v=jDadONMsXjw
GregZerO : (04 March 2019 - 11:10 PM) amano's new song doesn't sound bad
GregZerO : (04 March 2019 - 11:14 PM) and the video is like a fan singing koe or something lel
midwinter : (05 March 2019 - 02:24 PM) ooh, i like it
midwinter : (05 March 2019 - 02:25 PM) it sounds more like her old stuff
GregZerO : (05 March 2019 - 08:19 PM) indeed,I hope someone will upload the full version soon
GregZerO : (05 March 2019 - 08:20 PM) mid how are ur japanese going?
Tigermausbaer : (20 March 2019 - 10:22 AM) Hello everyone! :)
Rheo : (14 April 2019 - 10:10 AM) Hi!
Rui Kurosawa : (20 April 2019 - 01:50 AM) Hi!
TheJake : (31 May 2019 - 09:27 PM) In FF4, are spirit points only used for the shop?  It seems like you just need these crystals for upgrades, but I'm not 100% sure. :P
Kicksville : (02 June 2019 - 01:29 PM) The save point shop and the post-game shop after you're done (for costumes and such)
suprimeking : (24 June 2019 - 12:40 PM) anyone here
suprimeking : (10 July 2019 - 11:11 AM) discord is acting up on me again
Gbarchetta : (28 July 2019 - 06:20 PM) Urgh, I want a new entry in the series :(
Jamie : (28 July 2019 - 07:29 PM) Same here :C
Meital : (29 February 2020 - 08:45 PM) GabSmolders is having Fatal Frame marathon on Twitch! Just FYI if you're interested watching someone play FF :)
Rheo : (23 April 2020 - 10:38 AM) Been so long
ItsukiFace : (28 May 2020 - 06:21 PM) You better run.
ItsukiFace : (28 May 2020 - 08:46 PM) I'd rather be dry, but at least I'm alive.

Photo

Interview with Shibata on the original Fatal Frame

Interview Fatal Frame Project Zero Makoto Shibata

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Yashuu

Yashuu

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 312 posts
  • LocationNaked under a haori

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

http://blog.us.plays...horror-classic/

Not much we didn't know already, but it's still nice to have another interview. And hey the title of the article almost mentions this site :3

• Emi, midwinter and Hex like this

ZR9JeXg.gif
i will jiggle into your soul

#2 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 715 posts
  • LocationIn a nest made of the Kusabi's hair.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

I don't understand what he was saying with the game being the scariest as I find 2 to be just as scary as 1 and I find 3 to be the scariest one made.

#3 OFFLINE   Homuranagi

Homuranagi

RED CHILLI HOT PEPPER????

• Crazy Noisy Bizarre Admin
  • 422 posts
  • LocationDuwang Town

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

Of course it's going to be very much down to personal taste, but it's a pretty common view that the original was scariest. 2 was always designed more around the story and fantastical, magical aspect of things than the fear one. I didn't find 2 scary in the slightest and 3 little more, for example, but I thought FF1 was pretty damn scary. It's the most down to basics one in terms of sounds in particular, and I think it easily has the most creepy factor out of the lot in terms of its audio. So yeah, it's going to come down to personal opinion, but FF1 was designed all along to be scarier than the others (well, 2 at least) and as such there will be MANY people who think it is. It's just like he's saying: it's probably the scariest to people because it specifically goes all out to scare the crap out of them, rather than focusing as hard on the story as the others, and it does it very well.

AAHOrHo.gif

#4 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 822 posts
  • LocationThe white sands of limbo

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

That's really cool he responded, it's nice to hear from him.  I have to agree that the original is the scariest, but of course that's just my opinion.

#5 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

There will be a day, and that day is fast approaching, when Yashuu will not beat me to posting news. :angry:

But that aside, it's always nice to see Shibata talking about the series. I see what he means about FF1, though in my book the scariest is FF3! FF1 is kind of relentlessly grim and threatening, and the setting and characters are a lot less attractive-looking than FF2 and FF3. There's a lot less of the shiny butterflies and pretty blue candles, a lot less symbolism, a lot more ghosts who were generally mutilated and/or completely inhuman-looking, and the painful stuff was played as straight body-horror, not something intimate and almost romantic like the Crimson Sacrifice Ritual and the Piercing of the Soul. It had a different kind of aesthetic.

#6 OFFLINE   GregZerO

GregZerO

Jelly Bisquit

• Spirited Aways
  • 281 posts
  • Location???

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:37 PM

It's very nice that we see Shibata talking for the series again.Also it is very interesting that he has started talking with Sony again.Who knows maybe there is a chance to see the next Fatal Frame on PS4 (too),i doubt it but you never know!S

tumblr_mayvegYZYE1rnbk4so1_400.gif

#7 OFFLINE   Yashuu

Yashuu

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 312 posts
  • LocationNaked under a haori

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:46 PM

I agree with mid in that I find 3 the scariest. I think I remember in one of Chelsea's translations how they created the third trying to create a more realistic, sort of creeping fear, and that resonates a lot mroe with me than the others. It really masterfully contrasts yet seamlessly blends this sense of a calm, therapeutic melancholy and a really deep sense of unease and isolation. This is perfectly replicated in the music- stuff like the bell corridor don't have overtly unpleasant bgm, but there's subtle, creeping undertones to it that slowly seep in and become really insidious. Exacerbating this is the dreamy (duh) feel of the game, because of things like the calm blue colour palette, the recurring sounds like the high pitched bells and stakes, the incessant rain - they make everything sort of blend into one (Which is probably why people see the game as boring, but I'd say it's intentional). And when it all becomes one thing, the subtler, creepier aspects become more noticeable, especially as the differences between dreams and reality decrease s the game progresses. As you reach the very end of the game your house becomes as dead and isolated as the dream, and a real sense of depression and loneliness takes over. I'm rambling and this is irrelevant, so I'll stop, but I needed to vomit out some of my ideas on the really unique and overlooked take on horror that FF3 is.

You'll never beat me to the news mid >: )

• Hex and AnimalLover47999 like this

ZR9JeXg.gif
i will jiggle into your soul

#8 OFFLINE   Autobotdan

Autobotdan

Unknown Victim

• Spirited Aways
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:13 AM

Nice interview thanks for sharing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Interview, Fatal Frame, Project Zero, Makoto Shibata

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users