Anyone trying to register a new account:

The forums are currently being targeted by spambots, so new registrations will have to be manually approved by an admin. I'll try to check the list at least once a day, but if you want to be approved more quickly, or if you've been falsely marked as a spammer, please message elwing.alcyone at Gmail.

- midwinter

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
Rheo : (14 April 2019 - 10:10 AM) Hi!
Rui Kurosawa : (20 April 2019 - 01:50 AM) Hi!
TheJake : (31 May 2019 - 09:27 PM) In FF4, are spirit points only used for the shop?  It seems like you just need these crystals for upgrades, but I'm not 100% sure. :P
Kicksville : (02 June 2019 - 01:29 PM) The save point shop and the post-game shop after you're done (for costumes and such)
suprimeking : (24 June 2019 - 12:40 PM) anyone here
suprimeking : (10 July 2019 - 11:11 AM) discord is acting up on me again
Gbarchetta : (28 July 2019 - 06:20 PM) Urgh, I want a new entry in the series :(
Jamie : (28 July 2019 - 07:29 PM) Same here :C
Meital : (29 February 2020 - 08:45 PM) GabSmolders is having Fatal Frame marathon on Twitch! Just FYI if you're interested watching someone play FF :)
Rheo : (23 April 2020 - 10:38 AM) Been so long
ItsukiFace : (28 May 2020 - 06:21 PM) You better run.
ItsukiFace : (28 May 2020 - 08:46 PM) I'd rather be dry, but at least I'm alive.
thomas06 : (25 July 2020 - 10:32 PM) Hey Guys!
NuMetalWolf : (30 August 2020 - 09:46 AM) It's been 6 years.
NuMetalWolf : (02 September 2020 - 05:36 PM) 12, actually. I wasn't counting the time i spent here before the move out.
NuMetalWolf : (02 September 2020 - 05:39 PM) To whoever reads this, I wish you all good luck.
NuMetalWolf : (02 September 2020 - 05:46 PM) Stay safe, everyone.
NuMetalWolf : (02 September 2020 - 05:47 PM) Bye.
suprimeking : (07 November 2020 - 02:02 PM) hey is discord working for everyone else
NuMetalWolf : (21 November 2020 - 03:15 PM) I don't think there's been anyone on this site in a long time. This is sad.

Photo
- - - - -

Question(s) about the game

Question Theory Fatal Frame II Project Zero II Kusabi Seijiro Makabe Ghosts

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kaido

Kaido

High School Student

• Spirited Aways
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSaint Louis, MO

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

How is it possible that both Seijiro's spirit and the kusabi are both seen in the village?

Death begets life...

#2 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 822 posts
  • LocationThe white sands of limbo

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

The night of the Repentance repeats itself until the ceremony is performed, so Makabe's human "form" is just a memory.  The Kusabi is his true spirit.

• Emi likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Kaido

Kaido

High School Student

• Spirited Aways
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

Pretty good answer. thanks hex.

Death begets life...

#4 OFFLINE   rukadesu

rukadesu

Lost Twin

• Administrators
  • 151 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

It'd be like asking why the killing, blood-stained Sae and her former, kind self can both be in the village at the same time.

The Sae that chases you is the real, existing deal, whilst the kind Sae that usually appears mourning over Itsuki or standing next to Yae is just a memory. 

#5 OFFLINE   Kaido

Kaido

High School Student

• Spirited Aways
  • 130 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

Must have missed that part (as important as it is) or just not paid any attention to that fact. Sorry for such a stupid question.

Death begets life...

#6 OFFLINE   rukadesu

rukadesu

Lost Twin

• Administrators
  • 151 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

I wouldn't call it a stupid question. It's just one with an easy answer.

However, one may wonder what it is exactly that causes the memories of the past Sae to overlap with the present time when Mio and Mayu is in the village. 

#7 OFFLINE   ItsukiFace

ItsukiFace

He of Many Faces

• Spirited Aways
  • 165 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

The night of the Repentance repeats itself until the ceremony is performed, so Makabe's human "form" is just a memory.  The Kusabi is his true spirit.

Can it also mean that the village replays the entire string of events leading up to the actual Repentence? From when Seijiro was lead to the Kurosawa House (Human Form) to his subsequent sacrifice as The Kusabi (F'ed Up Form)? Not entirely too sure, I'm just throwing this out there.

daj6G8B.png

"Then show me the darkness within your heart, by sacrificing your soul to me. Let's

indulge ourselves in the ecstasy of death, shall we?"

ꜟGAMES// GRAPHICS// ART// TAROT// LANGUAGE//

I claim no rights to the image, you can find it here.

♦♦Sig requests are closed for the time being. Been very busy these past few months.♦♦

#8 OFFLINE   rukadesu

rukadesu

Lost Twin

• Administrators
  • 151 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

Can it also mean that the village replays the entire string of events leading up to the actual Repentence? From when Seijiro was lead to the Kurosawa House (Human Form) to his subsequent sacrifice as The Kusabi (F'ed Up Form)? Not entirely too sure, I'm just throwing this out there.

Could be.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the memories appear in chronological order? Or do they? 

#9 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 822 posts
  • LocationThe white sands of limbo

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

They don't, no.  Makabe appears locked in the cell the minute you enter it in Ch.4, but he also appears upstairs talking to Ryozo towards the end of the chapter.  It could be the Repentance at work but I think it's more likely the spirits are just retracing their steps.  

#10 OFFLINE   rukadesu

rukadesu

Lost Twin

• Administrators
  • 151 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

I guess.

Since the Repentance had the power to turn the dead into hostile spirits and warp the daily rhythm (I mean, the village is stuck in an endless night after all) it may as well have the power to turn the memories of the dead to real life events. 

#11 OFFLINE   Homuranagi

Homuranagi

RED CHILLI HOT PEPPER????

• Crazy Noisy Bizarre Admin
  • 422 posts
  • LocationDuwang Town

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

I think they mostly are, but not entirely. You can see him exploring the Osaka house in chapter 5~6 which, if you go by the timeline in the guidebook material, occurred when he first arrived, before he headed to the Kurosawa house and met with the Kurosawas before he was imprisoned there. I think you see Seijiro hanging around in the cell before this? So I'm assuming that there might be a warp in the timeline - I can't say for sure, though. You also see Sae crying over Itsuki's suicide before that has occurred in the actual timeline.

Perhaps it's also worth noting that there's a "memory" of teenage Yae hanging around - not only her hidden ghost, and the added vanishing ghosts in the remake, but her vanishing ghost also appears in front of the storehouse in Chapter... 8? For some reason she is unnamed in the original translations of FF2, but I believe this was corrected in the remake. Her actual spirit is not present, because that stayed with her physical body and then ended up at Himuro Mansion, but the memory of her teenage self was left behind in the village because of the extreme imprint her emotions had on the place, even while she was still alive (if you assume these spirits of hers popped up before her main spirit was exorcised via Hinasaki).

The "memories" split from the main spirit itself and continue to relive the events of the Repentance, repeating the events that led up to their death, while the vengeful ("actual") version of their spirit roams around the village in its torment. The version that attacks you is the "real" manifestation; the vanishing ghosts they left behind are a sort of... imprint. Like footprints or something, I guess. Echoes of what came before, but not actually... "real". That's how they can coexist in the same place at the same time. The vanishing ghosts are just a little... snapshot in time from their mind. I suppose this is why they almost never react to or even notice you - you aren't part of the memory they are reliving.

I don't know if the above was even relevant at this point or actually applies to the topic, buuuut. The short answer is yes, the "echoes" of their spirits are on an eternal Repentance loop, but their actual spirits are not. There may be warps in the timeline here and there, but the pattern remains mostly consistent and constant. The pattern just resets every time the village's loop does.

AAHOrHo.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Question, Theory, Fatal Frame II, Project Zero II, Kusabi, Seijiro Makabe, Ghosts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users