Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
Eisenalex : (06 January 2018 - 11:26 AM) I just saw The Long Dream and Mold getting teased in the opening of Junji Ito Collection. That makes me so happy!
Eisenalex : (06 January 2018 - 11:32 AM) http://www.crunchyro...junji-ito-story
midwinter : (06 January 2018 - 11:45 AM) I'm waiting for it to be available to free users, but i'm excited to watch it!
Eisenalex : (06 January 2018 - 11:58 AM) Do you want a guest pass? I get them monthly and they keep expiring because nobody wants them.
midwinter : (06 January 2018 - 12:04 PM) Ooh, would you mind? That would be very kind of you
midwinter : (06 January 2018 - 12:04 PM) I had the same problem when I had a paid account
Eisenalex : (06 January 2018 - 12:07 PM) Sent. I always have at least one Anime per season that I want to watch the day it comes out in 1080p, so the paid account is still a good investment, lol.
midwinter : (06 January 2018 - 03:01 PM) that was gooood, though i hope they do some of the longer straightforward horror
midwinter : (06 January 2018 - 03:02 PM) i enjoy the humour, but i want to be creeped out as well
Eisenalex : (07 January 2018 - 12:42 PM) They're going to. Souichi has always been pretty goofy and I think it was a good way to start, because that's out of the way now and the contrast between Souichi's Selfish Curse and Hell O' Dollies kicked it off well.
Eisenalex : (07 January 2018 - 12:42 PM) The opening already teased stories like The Long Dream, so we're going to have quite some heavy stuff to look forward to.
Eisenalex : (07 January 2018 - 12:51 PM) The chapters they announced at the end should be Groaning Pipes and Blood-Sickness Of The Sand-Village if I'm not mistaken.
AnimalLover4... : (07 January 2018 - 06:34 PM) The Sand Village.  What is this Naruto?
Eisenalex : (07 January 2018 - 06:34 PM) I was mistaken. Seems like it won't be blood-sickness, but the intersection's pretty boy instead.
Eisenalex : (07 January 2018 - 06:37 PM) lol. I wish naruto was like that, then I'd actually watch/read it.
Hex : (17 January 2018 - 01:00 PM) Things have been quiet lately.  How is everybody?
suprimeking : (17 January 2018 - 03:38 PM) i'm so so
suprimeking : (17 January 2018 - 03:39 PM) anyone around
Hex : (17 January 2018 - 04:37 PM) I am, a bit
Hex : (17 January 2018 - 04:56 PM) Snow.   :icon_fallenwoman:

Photo
- - - - -

Story Connection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rheo

Rheo

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Philippines

Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:13 PM

I was just talking to my friend about this earlier and he found that in FF4 he didn't like the most, story-wise, because the only connection there is Dr. Asou himself, related to one of the girls, which I think is Misaki if I'm not mistaken, if my memory serves me right. He likes connecting characters like how FF3 Rei's fiance Yuu is a friend of Mafuyu from FF1. Although I told him that FF4 is the beginning for Dr. Asou, as he agreed, he still would like it very much if everyone is connected to each other. 

What do you think about Dr. Asou's influence in FF4? Like we all get to learn that his journey to the island has affected the development of his work? Or something else... But still, Misaki Asou was also there too. @_@

edit: Lol i forgot to ask if anybody else there likes the games to be connected to each other or is fine with FF4 being... a little "out of place" from the series

Edited by Rheo, 25 December 2017 - 04:14 PM.

th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo2_250_zps034th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo6_250_zps979  
One, Three, and Four, my favorite characters as of now.
Two? No. Five? No!
and Zero? NO!

#2 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 797 posts
  • LocationThe white sands of limbo

Posted 25 December 2017 - 06:04 PM

Moved to the FF4 section.   :)

I liked how Asou was handled a lot.  Just when we thought we'd never see his face or read his notes, they gave us the Asou Museum.  I thought it was pretty cool how visiting the island helped him develop the camera further, and hearing him stretch his legs in the folklore department through attending the kagura was fun.  It's probably my favourite inclusion of him so far.

I don't see 4 as being "out of place" per se, just independent.  I actually like that it tells its own story, though having ties to previous games is great, too.  As long as it still feels unquestionably part of the same universe, I don't mind either way.

• Rheo and AnimalLover47999 like this

#3 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 713 posts
  • LocationIn a nest made of the Kusabi's hair.

Posted 25 December 2017 - 07:34 PM

I like how Fatal Frame 4 is more independent.  It allows the storyline of the previous 3 games to be concluded as and permanently final like they always will be.

Aside from non canon filler story/character elements in 5 there isn't really anything less independent about it than 4 other than Asou and the Kurosawa name.

#4 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 797 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:23 PM

To clarify, nothing in 5 is non-canon.  It's just AL's opinion there is.

#5 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 713 posts
  • LocationIn a nest made of the Kusabi's hair.

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:27 AM

Not going to make an ongoing debate about this because there's no point and it's not going to change anyone's minds on either side of the spectrum but I will say this.

The idea that canon is something re-writable is entirely fan taught and constructed rather than a law or actual definition that you can use to coin it as such.  You can't use websites or online definitions made by people who assumed it did work like that.  Those aren't valid sources and the original definition of the word canon was to single out what did or didn't really happen in history.

Just because they made a series doesn't mean they can't be incorrect on in universe details given the circumstances.  When something is possible to happen to the series characters and universe like 3 then that storyline is canon and happens to them.

Miu's storyline is impossible to be canon within the same universe as the previous games so it by default is non canon.  It doesn't matter whether the creators feel otherwise (even though they more than likely regret it given how their interviews heavily give off the impression they didn't think it was a good idea and only did it because they were mislead into thinking fans wanted it) because the originals and the information provided in them still exist to prove it otherwise.  Ayane's mode is likewise non canon given the impossibility of the two series to exist in the same universe.

It's no different than something being canon in broad strokes like the Buffy live action movie.  The series references its overall event, but the characterization of the characters isn't applicable to the show's universe.

Make what you will of it, but it is not a simple case of right and wrong by virtue of something being released.  Things are made that contradict the truth all the time and there is no way they can coexist even if they try to tie in with the previous storyline. 

Death of the Author and the simple fact that the understanding of canon is self taught rather than something provable via actual fact confirms it's not a case of delusion on my part because it requires you to think for yourself and actually recognize when something is impossible.  In universe and out of universe are two different things and simply because something got released officially doesn't automatically make it canon.  Otherwise both versions of the Fatal Frame movie's storyline would be canon, or the impossible to coexist within the game's universe segments of the Zero 3 Comic Anthlogy would be canon.  Them approving its creation is the same as them writing it themselves because they have to supervise and accept or veto any ideas that are put into it.

This isn't the same thing as not liking your favorite character dying in the Walking Dead and pretending they didn't die because it's still possible to happen in universe.  If I was going someone didn't die in the show because I didn't want them to die then I'd be delusional.  But this isn't a case of that and asserting that it is is misunderstood.  This is a case of something out of universe being provably impossible to happen in universe and as a result is uncanon to the series timeline because of it.

Given how the creators pay attention to the community in Japan's response to their games, and how it was a negative reaction there as well it's highly likely they consider it's uncanon as well.  They very well could make a new game with Miku still being Rei's assistant and ignore 5's version all together.  That would mean 5's version was never canon to begin with and was just a what if scenario that never got elaborated on as such.

Edited by AnimalLover47999, 06 January 2018 - 04:44 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 797 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:06 PM

The idea that canon is something re-writable is entirely fan taught and constructed rather than a law or actual definition that you can use to coin it as such

I don't get your point.  Obviously canon in the context of fandom is "fan taught", as is "head canon", "retcon", etc.  In a creative medium, it's not a black and white chronicle of history, and shouldn't be held as one.

Miu's storyline is impossible to be canon within the same universe as the previous games so it by default is non canon.

It's not impossible.  It's nonsensical and at odds with past games thematically, but new lore was written to accommodate it, and our opinion that it shouldn't be doesn't mean that it is.  

It's no different than something being canon in broad strokes like the Buffy live action movie.  The series references its overall event, but the characterization of the characters isn't applicable to the show's universe.

Why can't Ayane's mission be canon, then?  5 references Ayane's past briefly, but it doesn't dive us into the whole world of DoA, so theoretically we don't have to apply it to Fatal Frame if we don't want to.  It just sounds like a lot of cherry picking to me.  

Make what you will of it, but it is not a simple case of right and wrong by virtue of something being released.

I didn't say it was.  I think 5 was written and developed under the same process as 1-4, released officially as such, but since it has something you don't agree with, you're stretching and bending the definition of canon for you to denounce it.

I don't buy death of the author at all, it feels like another way to cop out of seeing something for what it is, at least in this context. 

This is a case of something out of universe being provably impossible to happen in universe and as a result is uncanon to the series timeline because of it.

Can you prove it, then?

• Rheo, Yashuu and Meital like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users