Signups for the 2017 Christmas Exchange are open! Come and join us for spooky festive gifts!

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
Hex : (30 November 2017 - 01:50 PM) Anyone else got snow?  Brr.
midwinter : (30 November 2017 - 02:55 PM) Yes  :icon_fallenwoman:
Eisenalex : (30 November 2017 - 03:21 PM) Not yet, unfortunately. I need temperatures to drop below 0°C during the day.
AnimalLover4... : (01 December 2017 - 03:27 AM) Lucky.  I love snow.
asagi : (01 December 2017 - 09:32 PM) I wonder when will the temperature be below 20C
Hex : (04 December 2017 - 07:33 PM) psst, midwinter, the FF3 reframing video's out and it's great: https://m.youtube.co...h?v=-f4e3zSFSEE
GreekShadow : (04 December 2017 - 08:32 PM) why does that guy has only so little views
midwinter : (04 December 2017 - 10:26 PM) ohhh, thank you! i'll have to watch it tomorrow now, but i'm looking forward to it
Hex : (05 December 2017 - 03:36 PM) He deserves a lot more
Hex : (05 December 2017 - 04:01 PM) Whenever I see Mafuyu say the broken staircase has nothing to do Takamine, I imagine him skidding down it on a sled with Koji and Tomoe.
Hex : (05 December 2017 - 04:02 PM) Novelists just wanna have fun
Hex : (06 December 2017 - 12:08 PM) Did anyone else not notice the pillars in the Demon Mouth have figures cared into them?  https://s7.postimg.o...3f/IMG_2417.jpg
midwinter : (06 December 2017 - 02:19 PM) oooh, no, that's cool
GreekShadow : (06 December 2017 - 11:58 PM) Lets all agree that in Forbidden Siren 2 ALL the missions with the 2 apartment buildings are the worst
Hex : (07 December 2017 - 12:07 AM) But don't you just love it when everything looks the same?   :chisab:
GreekShadow : (08 December 2017 - 05:34 PM) ;_;
GreekShadow : (08 December 2017 - 07:50 PM) There are chances a new Tenchu has been teased by From Software,if its indeed Tenchu i ll die ,its been 10 years ;_;
Rezz : (09 December 2017 - 12:44 AM) From Software needs to make me another Armored Core
midwinter : (09 December 2017 - 01:48 PM) And where's my Kuon sequel while we're at it
Rheo : (09 December 2017 - 06:39 PM) i thought the name of that game is actually Shadows Die Twice. lol

Photo

Best in the series?

Fatal Frame franchise

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 702 posts
  • LocationThe Red Room.

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:53 AM

Okay so 5 has some pretty obvious problems, I don't think anyone can deny the game is the most flawed in the series.  But did anyone else get the impression that this game had the potential to be the best one in the entire franchise?

The mountain and the history of suicides is such an interesting topic and could have been explored to great effect, Yuuri and Hisoka are already great characters that could have had much more focus in the story, the theme of glancing one's final moments to help ease their suffering is a fantastic addition, Ouse's one of the best antagonists in every way from her design to her story (except the tacked on romance), to how she acts even when under the corruption of the black water, even her boss fight is amazing.  That setting sun backdrop on an overflowing spring of hell water and the unique ways she fights you lead to one of the best climaxes in the series.

It feels like this game had a lot of fantastic ideas put into it that didn't get the time they needed to be properly developed.  Looking at some of the individual scenes in the game you can see a real talent and effort put into it and it had some of the most enticing trailers in the series.  Hearing Yuuri say "I'm not sick anymore" while In This Cage plays and you see all of the visuals of the deaths in the game is just chilling, and I don't think I even have to mention Himino's true death scene as a highlight for the tragedy and horror aspect of the game.

The idea of being corrupted by the water and having it overflow you until only your soul remains and is corrupted by the water is a fantastic idea, and the storyline when examined at its base concept is a fantastic addition to the series.

Does anyone else get the feeling this game had all the elements needed to make the definitive Fatal Frame experience?

• Meital and MacabrelleEnvy like this

#2 OFFLINE   GreekShadow

GreekShadow

Jelly Bisquit

• Spirited Aways
  • 251 posts
  • Location???

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:23 AM

For me it looked that something was wrong from the first trailer that we got.I wasn't really excited even when the other trailers got released.I didn't really like how the game looked and i expected more from the first HD one in the series.The momment of the first trailer in the antique shop looked almost like a late PS2 game for me and also on later trailers there was always something off with the art style.And in general comparing to the excitment of the pre-Fatal Frame 4 release I had which looked perfect(even not hd back then),diferrent and it had that excellent trailer it made the whole FF5 hype,being almost non existant for me or at least not as much as I thought It would be for a new FF.

I have to admit that the 5 minute trailer had good momments though but still meh.For me FF4 gets the "Looks like the best in th series before release prize" and when it got released it reached most of the hyped expectations for me.

tumblr_mayvegYZYE1rnbk4so1_400.gif

#3 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 702 posts
  • LocationThe Red Room.

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:34 AM

I can't agree with the game looking like a late PS2 game.  The character models look weird but the game visually is much better than any PS2 game out there.

#4 OFFLINE   GreekShadow

GreekShadow

Jelly Bisquit

• Spirited Aways
  • 251 posts
  • Location???

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:20 AM

Ofcourse I exaggerated a bit but I still thing that there are momments in the trailer that looked more like an upscaled PS2/Wii game rather than a game made from scratch on 2014.In the PS2 era I never really felt that the series was graphically lower than the other games around.FFV just looked to me pretty dated that's all.Fatal Frame 4 couldn't look like a PS3 game,cause Wii,but still back then it didn't look dated at all,especially with that exciting trailer.

I'm far from expert on graphical capabilities but to me,looking at FFV is just "meh" especially when the art style is a big step backwards.

Edited by GreekShadow, 27 November 2017 - 10:21 AM.

tumblr_mayvegYZYE1rnbk4so1_400.gif

#5 OFFLINE   Meital

Meital

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 289 posts
  • Locationwith Onion-san

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:58 PM

Okay so 5 has some pretty obvious problems, I don't think anyone can deny the game is the most flawed in the series.  But did anyone else get the impression that this game had the potential to be the best one in the entire franchise?

The mountain and the history of suicides is such an interesting topic and could have been explored to great effect, Yuuri and Hisoka are already great characters that could have had much more focus in the story, the theme of glancing one's final moments to help ease their suffering is a fantastic addition, Ouse's one of the best antagonists in every way from her design to her story (except the tacked on romance), to how she acts even when under the corruption of the black water, even her boss fight is amazing.  That setting sun backdrop on an overflowing spring of hell water and the unique ways she fights you lead to one of the best climaxes in the series.

It feels like this game had a lot of fantastic ideas put into it that didn't get the time they needed to be properly developed.  Looking at some of the individual scenes in the game you can see a real talent and effort put into it and it had some of the most enticing trailers in the series.  Hearing Yuuri say "I'm not sick anymore" while In This Cage plays and you see all of the visuals of the deaths in the game is just chilling, and I don't think I even have to mention Himino's true death scene as a highlight for the tragedy and horror aspect of the game.

The idea of being corrupted by the water and having it overflow you until only your soul remains and is corrupted by the water is a fantastic idea, and the storyline when examined at its base concept is a fantastic addition to the series.

Does anyone else get the feeling this game had all the elements needed to make the definitive Fatal Frame experience?

^ i agree with you 100%.

I think the suicide theme and the forest was a great idea. I really like the setting in the game. And for me, Himino's death scene was one of the best scenes in the game (I really get attached to characters and I want to save them all so this was shocking to me, especially when I saw how it happened). I personally like the character models and visually FFV is beautiful I don't have anything bad to say about that.

I think the problem was that they added so many things in it (Ghost Marriage, I'm looking at you). If the game was about Yuuri and Hisoka (without Rui, Ren, Miu and Miku) and they would just focused on those two and their stories, it would have been 10/10 game. 

• AnimalLover47999 and MacabrelleEnvy like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users