Signups for the 2017 Christmas Exchange are open! Come and join us for spooky festive gifts!

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
Hex : (30 November 2017 - 01:50 PM) Anyone else got snow?  Brr.
midwinter : (30 November 2017 - 02:55 PM) Yes  :icon_fallenwoman:
Eisenalex : (30 November 2017 - 03:21 PM) Not yet, unfortunately. I need temperatures to drop below 0°C during the day.
AnimalLover4... : (01 December 2017 - 03:27 AM) Lucky.  I love snow.
asagi : (01 December 2017 - 09:32 PM) I wonder when will the temperature be below 20C
Hex : (04 December 2017 - 07:33 PM) psst, midwinter, the FF3 reframing video's out and it's great: https://m.youtube.co...h?v=-f4e3zSFSEE
GreekShadow : (04 December 2017 - 08:32 PM) why does that guy has only so little views
midwinter : (04 December 2017 - 10:26 PM) ohhh, thank you! i'll have to watch it tomorrow now, but i'm looking forward to it
Hex : (05 December 2017 - 03:36 PM) He deserves a lot more
Hex : (05 December 2017 - 04:01 PM) Whenever I see Mafuyu say the broken staircase has nothing to do Takamine, I imagine him skidding down it on a sled with Koji and Tomoe.
Hex : (05 December 2017 - 04:02 PM) Novelists just wanna have fun
Hex : (06 December 2017 - 12:08 PM) Did anyone else not notice the pillars in the Demon Mouth have figures cared into them?  https://s7.postimg.o...3f/IMG_2417.jpg
midwinter : (06 December 2017 - 02:19 PM) oooh, no, that's cool
GreekShadow : (06 December 2017 - 11:58 PM) Lets all agree that in Forbidden Siren 2 ALL the missions with the 2 apartment buildings are the worst
Hex : (07 December 2017 - 12:07 AM) But don't you just love it when everything looks the same?   :chisab:
GreekShadow : (08 December 2017 - 05:34 PM) ;_;
GreekShadow : (08 December 2017 - 07:50 PM) There are chances a new Tenchu has been teased by From Software,if its indeed Tenchu i ll die ,its been 10 years ;_;
Rezz : (09 December 2017 - 12:44 AM) From Software needs to make me another Armored Core
midwinter : (09 December 2017 - 01:48 PM) And where's my Kuon sequel while we're at it
Rheo : (09 December 2017 - 06:39 PM) i thought the name of that game is actually Shadows Die Twice. lol

Photo
- - - - -

Two or more?

Characters

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 702 posts
  • LocationThe Red Room.

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:50 AM

Do you think the series works better having a smaller storyline focusing on two people's relationship or do you think the series works better having multiple characters with their own storylines that build into a much bigger overarching plotline?

I like both and am fine with them doing either, although to make things less messy next time maybe they should go back to having a smaller scale storyline with only one or two characters to build upon it.

#2 OFFLINE   Meital

Meital

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 289 posts
  • Locationwith Onion-san

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:58 PM

I prefer having two or three characters. I think FF3 had quite nice balance, but I feel like more than 3 is a little bit too much. Like in FF4 and FF5 there is so much going on that I feel like I need to play the game few times trough so I REALLY get what's going on (or alternative is reading hours and hours in wiki, haha, I love researching so I don't mind but that's not the point). 

Personally I feel more emotionally attached to main characters if there is only one or two of them, so I can fully focus on their story, feelings, everything :)

#3 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 783 posts
  • LocationThe white sands of limbo

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:04 PM

I prefer having multiple characters too.  The stories tend to be broader when using different perspectives, which is cool,  and I like getting to experience different cameras/play styles.  I'm open to a return to just one or two, though.

#4 OFFLINE   MacabrelleEnvy

MacabrelleEnvy

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 416 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques and Cafe

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

I think at this point what I want and what the series needs are completely different (lol). I like the idea of having more characters because I like learning backstory and seeing interactions in horror settings. I really think at this point the series needs to step back and focus on one or two characters or we risk more ridiculous, outlandish, unnecessary subplots.
  • Meital likes this

#5 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 25 November 2017 - 03:22 PM

Ha, I agree with MacabrelleEnvy! I like having more characters, for variety and interesting relationship possibilities, but so far I don't think they've really landed it with more than three. So I'd be okay with them going back to a smaller main cast if it meant a tighter plot. I dread to think what the story might look like if they carry on the current pattern and have six or seven main characters for future games.

• Meital likes this

#6 OFFLINE   MacabrelleEnvy

MacabrelleEnvy

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 416 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques and Cafe

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:36 PM

Ha, I agree with MacabrelleEnvy! I like having more characters, for variety and interesting relationship possibilities, but so far I don't think they've really landed it with more than three. So I'd be okay with them going back to a smaller main cast if it meant a tighter plot. I dread to think what the story might look like if they carry on the current pattern and have six or seven main characters for future games.

Oh god no. Six or seven main characters sounds like a bad idea for pretty much any game that isn't high fantasy or a fighting style game 😲

#7 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

• Spirited Aways
  • 702 posts
  • LocationThe Red Room.

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:04 AM

Forbidden Siren handled 10 main characters really well.  Granted Only 3 of them were consistently playable but it still did it well in my opinion.

While I personally wish Mio had been the third main character in 3 because of it being her story to tell and development to receive (As it is the Lost Village section is more of a recap that doesn't go anywhere in the games' storyline rather than the character development and extra information like the Himuro Mansion section is for Miku), I think they tied Kei into the story well enough for it to be work. 

His camera abilities aren't that great, and his specific ability is the most tacked on thing ever, but he does make the story go along and helps tie Mio and 2 to 3's storyline (He should have still been in the game but instead they should have had him take Mio to see Rei to help both deal with sudden loss which would have allowed her to be involved in the main plotline like it would make sense thematically for her to be) and he's a very likable character so it isn't so bad. 

I think Fatal Frame 4 did a great job with 4 main characters.  Yes Madoka only got one chapter playable and died afterwards, but they still manage to make her a very deep and tragic character with all of the optional story elements you can find out about her in chapters 2, 3, 4, and 5.  It makes the complete ending with her much more heartwarming and effective.  They dropped the ball on some character interaction moments but otherwise I feel it did it really well because everyone was important to the main storyline.

I think if they can just take their time and really think through what they're writing they can make a perfected multi character storyline.  It's more exciting for me to see all these different characters and finding out how they intertwine with the main narrative so if they actually have them all be important to the main narrative then I want them to stay.

#8 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 783 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 01:21 AM

He should have still been in the game but instead they should have had him take Mio to see Rei to help both deal with sudden loss which would have allowed her to be involved in the main plotline like it would make sense thematically for her to be

Assuming you meant this as Mio's way in as a playable protagonist, I don't think that would work personally.  Not much time has passed since Yuu's death when Rei's story starts, the emotions are still raw.  Having Kei introduce Mio to her any time before the ending seems a little insensitive to me.  He's not friends with Rei, does he know her well enough to think it would help?  Or trust his traumatised niece with?  

I agree with Shibata that playing as Mio so soon wouldn't have worked as well.  It's only been a few months since she killed Mayu, I don't think I'd have bought her having the strength to face another round of ghosts and sacrifices.  There's not much she could add to the folklore, research-y way the story unfolds either, unless Kei is that for her, but then I would just be wondering why he wasn't playable instead.   :P

#9 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

• Spirited Aways
  • 702 posts
  • LocationThe Red Room.

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:37 AM

Hmm, you're right that could be seen as insensitive.  For the rest of it I was thinking more as a whole rewrite so she could be able to be so because I think it was her story to tell and it seems like missed potential to learn more about her.  I do think she'd have been able to make it through had she had the proper amount of time to though.  She didn't seem to be suicidal from the moment it happened till the manor basically screwed her into not being able to get away from it at all.  Just seems like a missed opportunity to make an already great character even better.

If only we could at least have gotten the full ending the way they first envisioned it rather than photographs.  We could have had some development and dialogue between Mio and Kei at the end when at the dam.

Edited by AnimalLover47999, 26 November 2017 - 04:43 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 783 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:54 PM

For the rest of it I was thinking more as a whole rewrite so she could be able to be so because I think it was her story to tell and it seems like missed potential to learn more about her.

I'm not sure what story there is to tell though, or what's left to discover about Mio.  Without that connection to Rei, which isn't a good fit, she'd probably feel forced as a main character.  I remember talking about it on discord and liking the idea of playing as Kei when he was awake, so you could enter Mio's room at his house and see how she's been coping.  Something like that might've been better?

I definitely would've liked more information on her in 3, I'm actually surprised that Kei never "interviewed" her on tape about her dreams (which could've derailed into nightmares about Minakami, getting hysterical, etc.), but I think they made the right call in creating a new character.  It's less repetitive, gives a bit more variety, and Kei's an interesting guy.

• AnimalLover47999 and MacabrelleEnvy like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users