Signups for the 2017 Christmas Exchange are open! Come and join us for spooky festive gifts!

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
Hex : (30 November 2017 - 01:50 PM) Anyone else got snow?  Brr.
midwinter : (30 November 2017 - 02:55 PM) Yes  :icon_fallenwoman:
Eisenalex : (30 November 2017 - 03:21 PM) Not yet, unfortunately. I need temperatures to drop below 0°C during the day.
AnimalLover4... : (01 December 2017 - 03:27 AM) Lucky.  I love snow.
asagi : (01 December 2017 - 09:32 PM) I wonder when will the temperature be below 20C
Hex : (04 December 2017 - 07:33 PM) psst, midwinter, the FF3 reframing video's out and it's great: https://m.youtube.co...h?v=-f4e3zSFSEE
GreekShadow : (04 December 2017 - 08:32 PM) why does that guy has only so little views
midwinter : (04 December 2017 - 10:26 PM) ohhh, thank you! i'll have to watch it tomorrow now, but i'm looking forward to it
Hex : (05 December 2017 - 03:36 PM) He deserves a lot more
Hex : (05 December 2017 - 04:01 PM) Whenever I see Mafuyu say the broken staircase has nothing to do Takamine, I imagine him skidding down it on a sled with Koji and Tomoe.
Hex : (05 December 2017 - 04:02 PM) Novelists just wanna have fun
Hex : (06 December 2017 - 12:08 PM) Did anyone else not notice the pillars in the Demon Mouth have figures cared into them?  https://s7.postimg.o...3f/IMG_2417.jpg
midwinter : (06 December 2017 - 02:19 PM) oooh, no, that's cool
GreekShadow : (06 December 2017 - 11:58 PM) Lets all agree that in Forbidden Siren 2 ALL the missions with the 2 apartment buildings are the worst
Hex : (07 December 2017 - 12:07 AM) But don't you just love it when everything looks the same?   :chisab:
GreekShadow : (08 December 2017 - 05:34 PM) ;_;
GreekShadow : (08 December 2017 - 07:50 PM) There are chances a new Tenchu has been teased by From Software,if its indeed Tenchu i ll die ,its been 10 years ;_;
Rezz : (09 December 2017 - 12:44 AM) From Software needs to make me another Armored Core
midwinter : (09 December 2017 - 01:48 PM) And where's my Kuon sequel while we're at it
Rheo : (09 December 2017 - 06:39 PM) i thought the name of that game is actually Shadows Die Twice. lol

Photo
- - - - -

Old US website stating "characteristics" of Mio & Mayu (but no link)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rheo

Rheo

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 491 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Philippines

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:16 AM

Okay, well the old videogame websites from a long time ago have just disappeared because of the modern age, and like, they're already years old and have become a sort of PS2 generation of classics. But the official JP website is still up... http://www.tecmo.co....zero2/index.htm I can't read Japanese to find my answers lol.

I think I used to have this topic up and I searched everywhere just to be sure that I wasn't making a double topic too but I can't seem to find it. I think it was discussed already sometime in my college years before we got this forum up, thanks to some moving.

What struck me before when I used to browse the official US website of Fatal Frame II: The Crimson Butterfly -- I think it was 2005 or 2006 since I remembered that time -- in the character bio page, it's said that Mio is supernatural, while Mayu is paranormal. Or was it the other way around? I can't seem to remember.

And WHAT I CAN'T REALLY REMEMBER IS THAT, uh... actually, what these really mean. I think I've looked it up earlier through existing sites from the google search, but apparently, none of these mentioned about Mio and Mayu being the supernatural and paranormal twins. Except, I mean, only one instance is in here: http://fatalframe.wi...ki/Mayu_Amakura

She is the younger twin sister of Mio Amakura. The two share a very close bond, however, unlike her sister, Mayu is highly susceptible to the paranormal.

Um what. But in the website, I remembered it clearly saying something about one being supernatural, the other being paranormal. Not sure if it's themselves or their 6th sense. I don't think they've really explained that well, leaving it all vague...

I believe midwinter had discussed way back then about these meanings, but well it's been too long and I can't still remember anything from this. 

Now if you were to differentiate supernatural and paranormal, then ... well, aren't they almost the same thing? Even looking it up in the dictionary seems to have similar definitions.

But would that mean it's just because Mayu has far more potential than Mio? Or their 6th sense are on a different level?

I dunno.

However if I'm correct, do accidents or near-death experiences just give them an opening to seeing ghosts and stuff? Well, we did have Yuuri get that when she was younger, but at that time she almost died. And the others... um got it from their parents? For Mayu's case, she accidentally fell down. Maybe this is the conclusion that the US website is a little rubbish and that while Mio can sense ghosts, they are more likely to attack Mayu because of um, I don't know? ........... Whatever?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

P.S. I forgot this lol

http://bcl.rpen.us/z...le=Mayu_Amakura

She has a very strong sixth sense, but she has a low resistance to ghosts. Thus, she is often used by spirits as a medium.

Also, I can't seem to find any official sources?

Edited by Rheo, 16 November 2017 - 11:18 AM.

th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo2_250_zps034th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo6_250_zps979  
One, Three, and Four, my favorite characters as of now.
Two? No. Five? No!
and Zero? NO!

#2 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 783 posts
  • LocationThe white sands of limbo

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:24 PM

I don't think I've heard those terms before.  It must just be referring to Mayu having the stronger sixth sense, which is mentioned a few times in side material and I think the game manual?  Not sure.  I never considered her sixth sense could be stronger because she survived the fall, though, that's awesome.

#3 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

Hmm, I don't remember ever seeing that; I think you might be thinking of someone else. 2005-6 would definitely have been before my time. It would be interesting if we could find it, though! I can't think what it might mean either. I wonder if it came from an interview or something, or maybe a review? AFAIK Japanese uses the same word for both "supernatural" and "paranormal", so I'd guess it would have originated with an English-language source rather than being a translation.

Also, I can't seem to find any official sources?

Do you mean sources for the supernatural/paranormal quote, or for Mayu being easily possessed? The second one is in the game manual; it says in Mayu's profile that she's "used by ghosts as a medium because she is very sensitive."

I do like the idea that the fall increased her sixth sense! That definitely fits well with the folklore in FF5.  I think on a symbolic level it makes sense as well; the firstborn twin/sacrifice is the one who's connected to death, physically weaker and more spiritual, whereas the secondborn is the Remaining who's closer to the living. It all works together.

#4 OFFLINE   Rheo

Rheo

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 491 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Philippines

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:55 PM

Hmm, I don't remember ever seeing that; I think you might be thinking of someone else. 2005-6 would definitely have been before my time. It would be interesting if we could find it, though! I can't think what it might mean either. I wonder if it came from an interview or something, or maybe a review? AFAIK Japanese uses the same word for both "supernatural" and "paranormal", so I'd guess it would have originated with an English-language source rather than being a translation.

Do you mean sources for the supernatural/paranormal quote, or for Mayu being easily possessed? The second one is in the game manual; it says in Mayu's profile that she's "used by ghosts as a medium because she is very sensitive."

Ohhh, maybe it could be a different person who said it... I dunno about it, but perhaps it could be the localization? Because well that's the official American website of the company, so maybe they got some info coming from the JP team to translate or interpret then put on their site? 

The sources for the supernatural / paranormal quote. But it came from the website, so some old stuff easily gets lost in the internet, like it disappears. I was really sure that they said something like "Mio is supernatural while on the other hand, Mayu is paranormal." or whatever just like that along the line.

I don't think I've heard those terms before.  It must just be referring to Mayu having the stronger sixth sense, which is mentioned a few times in side material and I think the game manual?  Not sure.

Oh, then I guess all that writing is still somehow off. XD

Hmmm, perhaps unless you might be one of those who have seen the website and still recalls it... Though I doubt anyone's been able to do that like me. That memory got stuck in my brain for quite a long time XDD Had I never understood it seriously, I would've forgotten that already.

I never considered her sixth sense could be stronger because she survived the fall, though, that's awesome.

I do like the idea that the fall increased her sixth sense! That definitely fits well with the folklore in FF5.  I think on a symbolic level it makes sense as well; the firstborn twin/sacrifice is the one who's connected to death, physically weaker and more spiritual, whereas the secondborn is the Remaining who's closer to the living. It all works together.

Ohh, that's interesting, I mean it makes sense. Though that concept has been around in the media... anime, movies, games, etc? I think? It just so happened that the thought came to me because as it's said in FF5, Yuuri started having her 6th sense after that car accident where her parents died. She almost died, well survived yes, but earned something from her experience? Like, "whoa I'm still alive; I was that close to dying along with my parents blah blahs." So I thought that if it really happened to Mayu in a similar way as well, then maybe that explains it all too.

th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo2_250_zps034th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo6_250_zps979  
One, Three, and Four, my favorite characters as of now.
Two? No. Five? No!
and Zero? NO!

#5 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

Lingering Shadow

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,131 posts
  • Location日上山

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:21 AM

You know, a lot of of what you're saying does ring a lot of familiar bells. I didn't join the fandom till about near the end of 2011 and didn't hear about Fatal Frame till 2008 when YouTube was flooded with "Why did you localize this but not Fatal Frame 4?!" comments so I couldn't have possibly have went on the US site and it probably didn't exist anymore by then because I could only access the Japanese sites. Funny, majority of Japanese DOA sites are gone but not Fatal Frame lol.

But anyway, at the time I was in high school with 3 computer classes so I was on the computer for 70% of the day researching stuff while I should be doing school work but thats besides the point! I remember reading a lot of what you've said that date back to IGN and G4 articles including a video with a Shibata interview. I dont remember exactly where I've read majority of the things you've said but the Mio and Mayu bit sounds very very familiar to a T.

• Rheo likes this

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users