Signups for the 2017 Christmas Exchange are open! Come and join us for spooky festive gifts!

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
Hex : (09 November 2017 - 01:03 PM) Damn, I didn't know they were closing down the miiverse until too late.  My screenshots.  :(
midwinter : (09 November 2017 - 01:40 PM) Argh, no backups? That sucks :(
Hex : (09 November 2017 - 01:48 PM) On the bright side, I still have an album full of pretty scenery and Hisoka looking confused.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) Nintendo shouldn't have shut down Miiverse.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) People loved it.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) And they should have incorporated it onto the Switch.
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:51 AM) Finally finished TEW2, t'was excellent.
GreekShadow : (12 November 2017 - 05:14 AM) I'm glad you enjoed it Hex!How was it comparing to the first one though(,which i personally disliked)?
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:11 PM) I've only played the first for a few hours (didn't like it much either), but it was a big improvement.  The gameplay is fun, the stealth works a lot better, the open world map isn't too big but there's sidequests (one with a cool ghost lady!) and some interesting things to do.
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:17 PM) I was really impressed with the story since it was one of the things that put me off the first. The last 20 minutes were so good, definitely one of the best endings I've seen in awhile.
Daz Hinasaki : (12 November 2017 - 07:17 PM) Hey guys I'm finishing fatal frame 1 on my twitch channel tonight! :) love you to join me https://www.twitch.tv/chunzbunz
GreekShadow : (13 November 2017 - 05:36 AM) oh sounds cool thank you hex!And for me also the story of the first one put me off,glad the second one is better
Hex : (16 November 2017 - 12:01 PM) TIL: ghost marriage is actually practiced in China.   :staffsan:
Rheo : (16 November 2017 - 12:13 PM) O_O
Rheo : (16 November 2017 - 12:13 PM) oh yeah there's a local movie here called The Ghost Bride and the actress playing that is half-Chinese
Hex : (21 November 2017 - 07:58 PM) Do you ever start typing and find yourself wondering, "when did this become a novel?"
AnimalLover4... : (21 November 2017 - 10:22 PM) Eiji Otsuka.
Hex : (21 November 2017 - 11:46 PM) Where?   :icon_lordhimuro:
AnimalLover4... : (22 November 2017 - 06:19 AM) LOL
midwinter : (22 November 2017 - 02:57 PM) Animal Crossing Pocket Camp expectations: Cute animals, fishing, bugs, furniture! Reality: Communication error x 798

Photo

Better first experience?

Ryozo Munakata Yae Munakata

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 695 posts
  • LocationThe Red Room.

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:53 AM

What do you think is the better way to experience these two's storyline for the first time?  If you play 2 first you can be given the false impression that they made it out okay only to see the sad truth when you play 1, but if you play 1 first then you get to have the satisfaction of seeing minor characters from the first game get more background information.

#2 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Lighthouse Climber

• Haori Inspector
  • 779 posts
  • LocationZero Stage

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:02 AM

1 then 2.  It's a nice surprise to find out more about Yae and Ryozo, and maybe more valuable to see having played 1 and knowing where they are headed.  If I'd played 2 first I might've felt cheated that it turned out so grimly, and that there was no foreshadowing to 2.

#3 OFFLINE   MacabrelleEnvy

MacabrelleEnvy

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 413 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques and Cafe

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:56 PM

I played 2 first and I didn't even realize there was a connection until I had played both games a couple times. I definitely think it would have been more obvious and better if I had played 1 first.

#4 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:59 PM

I might be biased from playing 2 first, but I think on the whole I liked it better that way round? Like, sure, you find out that they're doomed, but there was also a moment of, "Aww, those two got married? Good for them!" I was imagining all kinds of horrible and lonely futures for Yae before that, so it was nice to see they got a few years of happiness.

I agree about the lack of foreshadowing between 1 and 2 being slightly disappointing, but I think for me it would have been worse if I'd started with 1, put Yae and Ryozo down as ordinary people, and then gone on to find this obviously retconned backstory. It's not great either way, but I think I prefer to get the retcon first, so I don't get attached to a different interpretation.

#5 OFFLINE   Meital

Meital

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 285 posts
  • Locationwith Onion-san

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:01 PM

I played 2nd game first and I have to say I was positively surprised when I found out that Yae and Ryozo got married and kind of moved on with their lives. I would be amazing if there were hints in the first game about their past, but I guess Fatal Frame 2's story wasn't planned at the time when the first was being made. 

Because I played 2nd first, I had -I'd like to say- deeper connection with Yae and Ryozo, than I would have if I'd played 1 first. I suppose, as midwinter said, that if I'd played 1 game first I'd thought Yae and Ryozo would be just ordinary couple. But I like it more this way. Playing 2nd game first.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ryozo Munakata, Yae Munakata

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users