Signups for the 2017 Christmas Exchange are open! Come and join us for spooky festive gifts!

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
Hex : (05 December 2017 - 03:36 PM) He deserves a lot more
Hex : (05 December 2017 - 04:01 PM) Whenever I see Mafuyu say the broken staircase has nothing to do Takamine, I imagine him skidding down it on a sled with Koji and Tomoe.
Hex : (05 December 2017 - 04:02 PM) Novelists just wanna have fun
Hex : (06 December 2017 - 12:08 PM) Did anyone else not notice the pillars in the Demon Mouth have figures cared into them?  https://s7.postimg.o...3f/IMG_2417.jpg
midwinter : (06 December 2017 - 02:19 PM) oooh, no, that's cool
GreekShadow : (06 December 2017 - 11:58 PM) Lets all agree that in Forbidden Siren 2 ALL the missions with the 2 apartment buildings are the worst
Hex : (07 December 2017 - 12:07 AM) But don't you just love it when everything looks the same?   :chisab:
GreekShadow : (08 December 2017 - 05:34 PM) ;_;
GreekShadow : (08 December 2017 - 07:50 PM) There are chances a new Tenchu has been teased by From Software,if its indeed Tenchu i ll die ,its been 10 years ;_;
Rezz : (09 December 2017 - 12:44 AM) From Software needs to make me another Armored Core
midwinter : (09 December 2017 - 01:48 PM) And where's my Kuon sequel while we're at it
Rheo : (09 December 2017 - 06:39 PM) i thought the name of that game is actually Shadows Die Twice. lol
Hex : (17 December 2017 - 01:59 PM) Phew, we're back.
midwinter : (17 December 2017 - 02:00 PM) \o/
midwinter : (17 December 2017 - 02:00 PM) thank you, Emi! <3
Hex : (17 December 2017 - 02:10 PM) Thank you!
AnimalLover4... : (17 December 2017 - 11:48 PM) Okay, I wasn't the only one not allowed in.
AnimalLover4... : (17 December 2017 - 11:48 PM) Thank you for fixing it Emi.
GreekShadow : (18 December 2017 - 06:04 AM) why did i miss
GreekShadow : (18 December 2017 - 06:04 AM) what*

Photo

Possible Archive of our Own collection?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:58 PM

Heya all, it's getting towards time for the Christmas exchange, and I've been thinking about ways to maybe get more participation. A lot of exchanges nowadays are run on AO3, and they let you make collections where people can leave prompts, which I thought might be a good option to have!

Here's a random example of what a prompt challenge looks like on AO3 - if you have an AO3 account, you can post requests in the prompts section, and then other people can claim them. Fic and art posted for the prompts are in the works section. I can do a more detailed how-to if there's interest, but that's the basic idea.

I'm thinking of having this alongside the regular exchange format on BCL, so you can sign up for either or both. Currently I'm leaning towards saying that since this is an extra thing, you're only guaranteed a gift if you sign up on BCL, but I could change that. Probably will depend on how many people join, either way.

Any thoughts?

#2 OFFLINE   Kouta Koikawa

Kouta Koikawa

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 236 posts
  • LocationTampere, Finland

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

The only way to get more participation is to stimulate general activity on the board. As we can all see, this site is almost dead at this point and has been for quite some time. It seems to me that Emi has completely abandoned the site and it makes me wonder if she still pays for the server fees. Frankly I see no point in that since she obviously has no interest towards the site anymore. She never even bothered to create a proper theme for the new site and it's been about 5 years now. The header still says "IPS Community".

Maybe create a nice theme like we used to have before the malware attack. Make the site more attractive for new users. There are lots of registered users but most of them never post. Most people rather respond to existing (and active) discussions than start new ones. Older members need to start new threads and conversations to make it easier for new members to join in.

#3 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

All of that may be true, and I do hope Emi's RL will eventually calm down enough for her to come back, but this topic is really just to discuss expanding the Christmas Exchange. If you also want BCL to be more active, maybe this can be your first year participating!

#4 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 783 posts
  • LocationThe white sands of limbo

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:57 PM

I see where Kouta's coming from though.  This is a great idea but we really need the activity to make the most out of it. 

#5 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:13 PM

I mean, I feel like it's a vicious cycle - old people are leaving, not just BCL but the fandom, and new people either don't know we're here or don't find any reason to join. This might help mitigate the second part; it's moving some elements to a site that more people might be familiar and comfortable with, and maybe acting as a stepping stone for people who aren't used to spending time on forums, especially since forums and standalone fansites are going out of fashion anyway. It's not that different from having accounts on Facebook and Tumblr.

The cosmetic stuff like the forum layout and banner, we can't do anything about, that's up to Emi (and yeah, I acknowledge things aren't looking good on that front). And Hex, I know you and I have both been trying to keep making new discussion topics at various times, but it's another thing that goes both ways - if there aren't topics, people won't post, but posting a bunch of discussions doesn't work if there's no one around to join in, either.

Basically I feel like right now most people aren't visiting BCL unless there's something specific to visit for. We had a big spike of activity for FF5, but it dropped off quickly. The exchange is way smaller in scale, but at least it's a regular, predictable event, and advertising it on other sites might do more to draw people in than waiting for them to find us. This is part of the activity we want to encourage.

/unsoapboxes

#6 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 783 posts
  • LocationThe white sands of limbo

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:44 PM

That's true.  The biggest draw back in the day was the site but like you said that's out of our hands.  Let's give this a go.

#7 OFFLINE   Eisenalex

Eisenalex

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 29 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:21 AM

I'm still not 100% sure how Archive of our own works exactly. Will people who have nothing to do with BCL be able to see it, too? Because if that's the case, it sounds like a good promo for the community.

Helga stundin komin,
allt er orðið hlytt.

#8 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:31 AM

It'll be public and visible to everyone - people who look at the collections page will see it, and any fanworks posted to the collection will have a link to it in the header. That said, most people browsing AO3 probably won't notice a collection unless it's promoted somewhere, so I'm planning to link to it from Tumblr as well, and any other sites I can think of.

Okay, I've gone ahead and made the collection - it's here if you guys want to take a look! It isn't open for prompts yet, but I took some screenshots of the signup process so you'll have some idea what to expect if you decide to leave prompts there. The first one is what the prompt form looks like, the second is what it'll look like on the prompts page after it's posted, and the third is what it'll look like if someone claims it. I'm still tweaking and figuring out what I'm doing, so let me know if I've left anything out.

• Hex likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users