Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
AnimalLover4... : (29 August 2017 - 09:39 PM) How about you?
Kouta Koikawa : (05 September 2017 - 01:26 PM) I remember how this forum used to be active. That was many years ago. We need a new game to make the forum active again.
yamibito : (08 September 2017 - 11:29 AM) How about Fatal Frame Card Game?
yamibito : (08 September 2017 - 11:35 AM) Couldn't find anything about it here
yamibito : (08 September 2017 - 11:36 AM) But it exist, quite long
yamibito : (08 September 2017 - 11:36 AM) http://www.fourhman.com/fatalframe/
Eisenalex : (08 September 2017 - 09:05 PM) That card game looks so cool!
Rezz : (08 September 2017 - 09:46 PM) I c u, 2017 exchange
Eisenalex : (08 September 2017 - 10:11 PM) when do the exchanges usually start?
midwinter : (09 September 2017 - 02:28 PM) It varies, but usually around November
midwinter : (09 September 2017 - 02:28 PM) Last year started very late because I wasn't planning to run it but then changed my mind
midwinter : (09 September 2017 - 02:36 PM) Maybe will be earlier this year :3c
midwinter : (09 September 2017 - 02:52 PM) (To be clear, I didn't set up the forum this time, I'm assuming Hex did. So thank you, Hex!)
Eisenalex : (11 September 2017 - 10:39 PM) There's a Nintendo Direct coming.
Eisenalex : (11 September 2017 - 10:39 PM) I'm not holding my breath for it but a teaser for a new FF would be nice.
midwinter : (12 September 2017 - 08:39 PM) It would
midwinter : (12 September 2017 - 08:39 PM) It's happening pretty late at night here, so I doubt I'll stay up and watch it, but I'd be happy to wake up to news
Eisenalex : (13 September 2017 - 08:54 AM) Same for me. At least KT once stated that they have a little something in the works for the Switch and I doubt it'll only be FE: Warriors.
Eisenalex : (13 September 2017 - 10:57 PM) Now that was kinda disappointing. Didn't expect Doom and Wolfenstein. As expected, no FF news, unfortunately. I'm surprised that we didn't get a Smash 4 port announced or any news on Travis Strikes Back.
GreekShadow : (24 September 2017 - 01:19 PM) Did I loose something?Or TGS was too poor this year?Almost nothing new was announced for anything?

Photo
- - - - -

How did you know the game?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: How did you know the game? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

From where?

1. Internet (5 votes [38.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

2. Word of Mouth (2 votes [15.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

3. Saw it in a shop (online or offline) or garage sale (your vote here, plz indicate or describe specifically) (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

4. Magazine (4 votes [30.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

5. Gift (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Was given to me (if you vote for this, then indicate who: friend? relative? etc.) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Other (plz specify) (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Rheo

Rheo

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 477 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Philippines

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:03 PM

Let's talk about how you first knew the game!

Mine was about the Fatal Frame 2 article on our local gaming magazine, which piqued my curiosity because of the Sadako characters (the twins lol) and during that year, it was 2004? The Ring was popular i think... I was around 10 years old...? Also, the camera is also quite interesting... An exorcising item or tool.

And then a year later I bought the game. Lol. 

How about you? Perhaps you found it online, at the shop, or heard it from your friend. (Was there a TV commercial of it too? Should I add TV on the poll?)

Maybe you bought a local gaming magazine in your place and the game was featured (not necessarily the cover. I mean among the game articles written inside the magazine's monthly issue). Or your friend gave it to you as a birthday gift. Maybe bought for you, but not a gift. I mean, I bought the food for my sister sometimes lol and when she asks me to buy something for school then I buy it for her. Haha XD

You may add the reason for your interest and purchase of the game you first got! Just like what I said above~

Edited by Rheo, 20 July 2017 - 10:06 AM.

th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo2_250_zps034th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo6_250_zps979  
One, Three, and Four, my favorite characters as of now.
Two? No. Five? No!
and Zero? NO!

#2 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

Way back in the day when fandomsecrets was a thing (I think maybe even still on LiveJournal? god, the memories), I saw it on there. Someone had sent in a secret, I think about what kind of ghost they thought they'd be, and since I was really into Asian horror movies at the time, I thought it looked cool and asked my SO to locate a copy for me. And the rest is history.

• Rheo likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Rheo

Rheo

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 477 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:52 PM

Way back in the day when fandomsecrets was a thing (I think maybe even still on LiveJournal? god, the memories), I saw it on there. Someone had sent in a secret, I think about what kind of ghost they thought they'd be, and since I was really into Asian horror movies at the time, I thought it looked cool and asked my SO to locate a copy for me. And the rest is history.

Ooh, was it Fatal Frame 1 or 2 for you? I mean which one did you start with? o:

th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo2_250_zps034th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo6_250_zps979  
Two? No. Five? No!
and Zero? NO!

#4 OFFLINE   Rin

Rin

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 18 posts
  • Locationthe Trash Pit

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:42 PM

I saw it in a PlayStation magazine (this exact ad actually: https://goo.gl/uZHuHK) way back when I was little and I was kind of interested back then, but it was mostly because I thought Miku was pretty. I couldn't really handle horror when I was little though...

Anyway so a few years later I see an ad for the second one in the same kind of magazine and at first I kind of laughed but after reading it a few more times I ended up going online and reading everything I could about it... And I realized I really, really liked it. I ended up cutting the advertisement out and I still have it hanging on my wall today actually.

I also saw an ad for the third one in one of the magazines, but I don't remember if I actually read it or not. For awhile I was only interested in the second game. But now I've played all of them all the way through at least once and I'm obsessed.

#5 OFFLINE   asagi

asagi

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 33 posts
  • Locationunder my blanket

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:49 AM

I watched my sister play the game. she was playing ff2 and when I saw sae in the great hall cutscene and I fell in love with the game but she never let me play so I used to spend hours on the wiki reading about everything (the reason I joined bcl ) and when I finally started playing the game my brother sold the PS2 (Thank god they released it on PS3) and I ended up completing ff4 first .

7y0t8oC.gif

#6 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of Chuck Cunningham Syndrome.

• Spirited Aways
  • 675 posts
  • LocationThe Red Room.

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:01 PM

It was about 2010/2011.  I was about to go off to college of sorts and was browsing YouTube.  I saw that there was a Top 10 list of scariest games ever made on GameTrailers so I checked it out.  While most things seemed like things I wouldn't like there was one that caught my interest for how unique it seemed.  Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly. 

I found the concept of two sisters getting caught up in a village that was haunted by ghosts to be incredibly fascinating so I bought the first game on Xbox (And an Xbox solely for that game) and fell in love with how terrifying everything was and how sympathetic and likable everyone was.  It wasn't a case of there being an evil person who caused bad things for no reason, every enemy in that game was a tragic being who was suffering and was forced against their will to hurt others.  The game was the first Horror game I'd ever played and it left a big impact on me as well as scared me so much I couldn't play more than 15 minutes at a time.

I have no regrets picking up this series.  It has helped shape my tastes and exposed me to a genre that I never knew I'd have such a love for because of how much I hate being scared in real life.  But the feeling of genuinely being afraid for yourself and the character you're controlling in heavily atmospheric video game is the most amazing feeling I've ever experienced when playing a video game and it's all thanks to Fatal Frame that I've experienced that feeling.  I'm never going to stop loving these games and I'm going to still be playing these games 50 years from now.  They are that important to me.  Thank you Fatal Frame and thank you Makoto Shibata and Kesuke Kikuchi for this amazing series.

Edited by AnimalLover47999, 24 July 2017 - 06:01 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Lighthouse Climber

• Haori Inspector
  • 753 posts
  • LocationZero Stage

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

I was looking for a horror game that wasn't too difficult but also pretty scary and somehow came across "Project Zero" on eBay.  The back of the box asks if "walking through a gloomy haunted mansion where several horrific murders took place doesn't sound so terrible to you?" which was too tantalising to resist.  By the time it arrived I was already immersed from the discussions online, and it's been in my life ever since.

• Rheo likes this

#8 OFFLINE   MacabrelleEnvy

MacabrelleEnvy

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 400 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques and Cafe

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:23 PM

A friend of mine rented the 2nd game from our local video store and showed it to me when I stayed the night at her house. She said it caught her eye because of the twins in kimono on the cover. We were both just starting to become obsessed with japanese culture at the time.
  • Rheo likes this

#9 OFFLINE   Chrysalis

Chrysalis

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 81 posts
  • LocationThrough the Looking Glass

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:26 PM

I saw Fatal Frame 2 in a local gamestore back when it came out. I knew from the macabre but pretty cover I wanted to play it eventually. I didn't actually try any of the series until my brother bought the first game, though, and I borrowed the first three games from him before I bought my own.

• Rheo likes this
Such order in the midst of chaos makes me woozy and disoriented.

#10 OFFLINE   米兰人

米兰人

Kagome, Kagome Player

• Spirited Aways
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMilano, 밀라노

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:32 PM

I wrote something about my first Japanese holiday on a thread in an American Mortal Kombat Forum, talking about how I was hit by Japanese and their culture.

A discussion started with another member of the forum, until she suggested me to play Fatal Frame (2). I admit: before starting the game I was a little sceptical, but she was completely right. Love this game.

• Rheo likes this

tutto5600.png

#11 OFFLINE   WildCoyote140

WildCoyote140

Unknown Victim

• Spirited Aways
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:48 PM

I saw an article on Fatal Frame 2 in a GameInformer magazine back in 2003, I think (I remember looking back on it and realizing the writers thought the Kusabi was female lol). The visuals really caught my eye-- there is something about the Fatal Frame series that is so beautiful and horrific at the same time. I became really enamored by it just from the article itself, and got a PS2 just to play the game. I wasn't disappointed-- I became absolutely obsessed with it =)

• Rheo likes this

#12 OFFLINE   Rheo

Rheo

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 477 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:46 AM

Ohhh, wut the writers thought that Kusabi was a female? I thought everyone in the staff knows about Kusabi? :v

Did everybody here start with Fatal Frame 2? @w@

Two? No. Five? No!
and Zero? NO!

#13 OFFLINE   GreekShadow

GreekShadow

Jelly Bisquit

• Spirited Aways
  • 236 posts
  • LocationGreece/Athens

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:10 PM

I was around 8 years old?....I saw it in a shop that was renting games and since I was really intrigued by Japan & Horror,this one was a mix so I rent it!

• Rheo likes this

tumblr_mayvegYZYE1rnbk4so1_400.gif

#14 OFFLINE   WildCoyote140

WildCoyote140

Unknown Victim

• Spirited Aways
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:35 PM

Ohhh, wut the writers thought that Kusabi was a female? I thought everyone in the staff knows about Kusabi? :v

Did everybody here start with Fatal Frame 2? @w@

The GameInformer magazine writers thought the Kusabi was female =P I guess all they had to go off of was just pictures so they took a guess.

I think most people started with Fatal Frame 2-- probably because the first Fatal Frame might have been a little bit harder to find. Plus I think the cover art of Fatal Frame 2 and the visuals in general might have intrigued a lot of people. Regardless I know of some people whose first game was Fatal Frame 3-- I always thought how interesting that must be, considering it has storylines of the previous 2 games. Doesn't seem to have affected their enjoyment of it though =)

• Rheo likes this

#15 OFFLINE   Kouta Koikawa

Kouta Koikawa

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 231 posts
  • LocationTampere, Finland

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:53 PM

I had been reading about the series before I bought my first game (Fatal Frame 3) at Gamestop. This was in early 2009. Probably January or February. Gamestop was selling used PS2 games very cheap back then and I happened to spot FF3 on the shelves. Since I'd read about it and it seemed interesting, I bought it and played it through. I loved it so much that I actually got interested in folklore too and began reading books related to that. Japanese folklore but others too.

Fatal Frame 3 became one of my favourite games and it still is. I later played FF 1 and FF 2 too. Both of them are great but the third game still remains as my favourite. Alongside Silent Hill 2 it's one of the best horror games ever made. They don't seem to make these kind of games anymore which is sad. Or perhaps the timing was just right back then. In any case, some games just stay with you and Fatal Frame 3 is one of those for me.

• Rheo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users