Signups for the 2017 Christmas Exchange are open! Come and join us for spooky festive gifts!

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
midwinter : (08 November 2017 - 03:29 PM) Ok, playing with headphones is definitely superior
midwinter : (08 November 2017 - 03:31 PM) I knew the music in Rei's house changed after Miku's chapters start but I never noticed it has these little bumps and rustles that make it sound like something's moving in the house
midwinter : (08 November 2017 - 05:41 PM) also there is more ghost talk during Kei's phone call!
midwinter : (08 November 2017 - 05:41 PM) i couldn't hear most of it, though, I need to listen again
Hex : (08 November 2017 - 06:12 PM) Yesss, headphones.  I think you can hear doors being closed in Rei's house too.
Hex : (09 November 2017 - 01:03 PM) Damn, I didn't know they were closing down the miiverse until too late.  My screenshots.  :(
midwinter : (09 November 2017 - 01:40 PM) Argh, no backups? That sucks :(
Hex : (09 November 2017 - 01:48 PM) On the bright side, I still have an album full of pretty scenery and Hisoka looking confused.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) Nintendo shouldn't have shut down Miiverse.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) People loved it.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) And they should have incorporated it onto the Switch.
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:51 AM) Finally finished TEW2, t'was excellent.
GreekShadow : (12 November 2017 - 05:14 AM) I'm glad you enjoed it Hex!How was it comparing to the first one though(,which i personally disliked)?
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:11 PM) I've only played the first for a few hours (didn't like it much either), but it was a big improvement.  The gameplay is fun, the stealth works a lot better, the open world map isn't too big but there's sidequests (one with a cool ghost lady!) and some interesting things to do.
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:17 PM) I was really impressed with the story since it was one of the things that put me off the first. The last 20 minutes were so good, definitely one of the best endings I've seen in awhile.
Daz Hinasaki : (12 November 2017 - 07:17 PM) Hey guys I'm finishing fatal frame 1 on my twitch channel tonight! :) love you to join me https://www.twitch.tv/chunzbunz
GreekShadow : (13 November 2017 - 05:36 AM) oh sounds cool thank you hex!And for me also the story of the first one put me off,glad the second one is better
Hex : (16 November 2017 - 12:01 PM) TIL: ghost marriage is actually practiced in China.   :staffsan:
Rheo : (16 November 2017 - 12:13 PM) O_O
Rheo : (16 November 2017 - 12:13 PM) oh yeah there's a local movie here called The Ghost Bride and the actress playing that is half-Chinese

Photo

Based on a true story?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think it's true or false? (7 member(s) have cast votes)

True Story?? (events in the mansion)

1. Yes (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. No (7 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

3. Maybe (0 votes [0.00%])

Do you think that the Himuro Mansion exists? (the building itself)

1. Yes (0 votes [0.00%])

2. No (3 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

3. Maybe (4 votes [57.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Rheo

Rheo

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 490 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Philippines

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:14 PM

Well um, I thought I could bring back the old topics that I could remember...

I remembered how one of them discussed this particular tagline. It could be referring to the existence of Himuro Mansion and the events that happened ("true story"). 

Someone mentioned here (I don't remember this member's name unless it could have been one of the admins or mods) about how saying that it's based on a true story may mean that the Himuro Mansion could be for real, but is it actually really existent?

My answer back then was yes because they said so (I was 12 at that time LOL) but as I got older, now I realized that I don't think so. Lol. It's just like several companies saying that they're the #1 so they can lure in some customers. I suppose the staff may have made up this story because I can't find any sources, only unconfirmed legends & myths. (Some of the other sites are kinda copy and paste) Marketing stuff, bruh XD

(Ok, i saw this one, at the end... http://theunexplaine...ro-Mansion.html but... looking up these names, i don't know...)

So if you said yes, then why?

If you said no, then why not?

Would you say that this is only inspired by some places and other legends in Japan? 

By the way, the tagline only appeared in the western version only, I think.

Edited by Rheo, 06 August 2017 - 06:48 PM.

th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo2_250_zps034th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo6_250_zps979  
One, Three, and Four, my favorite characters as of now.
Two? No. Five? No!
and Zero? NO!

#2 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 690 posts
  • LocationThe Red Room.

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:25 PM

I think that the mansion might be based on an actual deserted building that had an actual massacre in it but I do not think an actual Mansion called "Himuro Mansion" exists and I am 100% certain that there aren't actually ghosts haunting places in real life.

#3 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Lighthouse Climber

• Haori Inspector
  • 777 posts
  • LocationZero Stage

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:46 AM

The mansion doesn't exist, nor is the game based on a true story.  I'm assuming the American tag line is referring to actual urban legends the Japanese team was inspired by (one credited being the legend of Sugisawa village has inspired another game as well, Siren).  In that sense, I could make a game about Nessie and claim it was based on a true story.   :P

In all the side material and interviews too, it's never cited or referenced as a real place they've seen or been to.  It's entirely fictional, only marketed as real in North America.  My guess is that they were influenced by the promotion for the Blair Witch Project that came out two years before. 

• Rheo likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Rheo

Rheo

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 490 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Philippines

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:51 PM

The mansion doesn't exist, nor is the game based on a true story.  I'm assuming the American tag line is referring to actual urban legends the Japanese team was inspired by (one credited being the legend of Sugisawa village has inspired another game as well, Siren).  In that sense, I could make a game about Nessie and claim it was based on a true story.   :P

In all the side material and interviews too, it's never cited or referenced as a real place they've seen or been to.  It's entirely fictional, only marketed as real in North America.  My guess is that they were influenced by the promotion for the Blair Witch Project that came out two years before. 

Ohh, so everything's been made up as well? XD That's a creative effort. Lol :v

th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo2_250_zps034th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo6_250_zps979  
One, Three, and Four, my favorite characters as of now.
Two? No. Five? No!
and Zero? NO!

#5 OFFLINE   Maya

Maya

Unknown Victim

• Spirited Aways
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:22 AM

Fatal Frame 2 at least has the Sugisawa Village legend as a basis and Fatal Frame 5 is confirmed in the European artbook to be based on Aokigahara thus technically those two are more "based on truth" than Fatal Frame.

I think there might be inspiration from true mansions said to be cursed/haunted/where something terrible happened etc. however it doesn't seem to have a specific one it is based on since no companion book mentions anything specific.
I think that even if there were a specific manor it wouldn't be mentioned so that people don't just go in there XD.
  • Rheo likes this

#6 OFFLINE   WildCoyote140

WildCoyote140

Unknown Victim

• Spirited Aways
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:04 PM

Technically, you can put "based on a true story" on anything as long as it has a very loose basis to something. For example, the creators probably drew inspiration for Himuro by looking at several different old buildings-- or perhaps, there may have been certain rituals in ancient Japan. Voila, the game is now based on something that actually exists. I mean technically, some of the Fatal Frame ghosts were based on Shibata's supposed encounters with spirits throughout his life, so you can even cite that as a reason for it to be "based" on something true.

Did the West actually know about any of this? Probably not. I think they believed Fatal Frame would not sell in the West, and so tacked this on in hopes that it would drum up some interest. In reality what really prevented it from selling were the horribly ugly cover images (my personal opinion obviously, but I'm sticking to it =P)

• Rheo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users