Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
midwinter : (12 October 2017 - 12:37 PM) Maybe Spirit Camera since I don't replay that very often...
GreekShadow : (12 October 2017 - 02:45 PM) I might replay FF3.Not sure if I should start a brand new playthrough or one with my unlockes though hmmm.I have years to play FF3 ;_;
Hex : (12 October 2017 - 02:57 PM) Just think: yukatas.   :icon_ff3miku1:
Hex : (12 October 2017 - 02:57 PM) (Why Rei doesn't have a blue one will forever be a mystery)
asagi : (12 October 2017 - 04:37 PM) I want to replay the games but mom threw the ps3 out of the window :zca rei:
Eisenalex : (12 October 2017 - 11:16 PM) Why would she do that?
Eisenalex : (14 October 2017 - 11:30 AM) I just learned that there's apparently a manga based on Siren made by Junji Ito.
Hex : (15 October 2017 - 01:11 PM) If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's unsurprisingly pretty gross.
Eisenalex : (15 October 2017 - 02:20 PM) It's Junji Ito. Of course it gets either super weird or gross, lol.
NightmarePic... : (15 October 2017 - 03:15 PM) And me being curious I had to look it up. Yup definitely gross XD
Eisenalex : (15 October 2017 - 05:17 PM) Did you think it was that bad? I enjoy Ito's stuff a lot.
NightmarePic... : (15 October 2017 - 05:32 PM) Meh.. It wasn't all that bad. Just more unsettling than "gross". Those weird worm girls or whatever are way worse *cringes*
Eisenalex : (15 October 2017 - 05:41 PM) I'm not sure what you mean by "worm girls". He did a couple of slug-transformations, though.
NightmarePic... : (16 October 2017 - 11:02 PM) That was it.. yup lol
Hex : (17 October 2017 - 05:33 PM) My new washing machine makes jingles whenever it's finished like an ice cream van.
NightmarePic... : (17 October 2017 - 06:12 PM) I... don't think that's good Hex.. You might want to check what's in there other than clothes lol
Kouta Koikawa : (17 October 2017 - 06:28 PM) Maybe they come with entertaining sound effects these days.
midwinter : (17 October 2017 - 07:15 PM) A lot of the new ones are supposed to chime to let you know when the cycle is done
midwinter : (17 October 2017 - 07:16 PM) Mine does, at least
Eisenalex : (17 October 2017 - 09:59 PM) The future is now.

Photo
- - - - -

Favourite details

Fandom Opinion

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Lighthouse Climber

• Haori Inspector
  • 758 posts
  • LocationZero Stage

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:10 PM

A topic for all who are invested in the smallest touches whether in the environment, plot or sound design.  What are your favourites?  I'll share by game.

FF1:

I waffled a lot about it in the replay topic, but I really do like the parallels between the characters, particularly Miku and Mikoto.  It's such a good and creepy idea to take Mikoto's place in that last game of Demon Tag to finally find her missing friends.  Even this note seems like something that could've been written about Miku post-rescue, taken in by a friend of the family.

The thought behind Miku and Mafuyu's designs.  If I remember right, the white was to help them stand out in the darkness and contrast as a sign of life, the black chokers are suggestive of rope marks, and the red of Miku's ribbons of wounds and blood.

Did anyone else not know the small window above the mirror in the Rope Hallway is from the Koto Room?  Nice touch.

I had no idea the ropes sealing the entrance during the first night had any significance until I read the books.  They were used to close the mansion during the ceremony, which is pretty cool in hindsight.

The hair wrapped around the door handle.  Easily missed, very creepy.

FF2:

I'm scratching my head to remember where on Homuranagi's site I read this, but the Abyss as a bottomless pit where maidens are thrown being symbolic of Mayu's fall is genius.

Not sure if this was in the original, but the Rope Temple is visible behind the Kurosawa House from the Whisper Bridge in DCB.  Love how it looks all foreboding and mysterious.

One of the covered mirrors in the Tachibana storeroom grows hair after getting the camera...

The priests' singing floating out from the Kurosawa House in Chapter 8 and all the extra scenes.

The new hanging lanterns in the Kureha shrine.  Kureha period.

FF3:

I really dig the one-sided correspondence with Kei's letters, the developments as he progresses, piecing parts of his investigation with Yuu by rummaging in the latter's room.

The placement and surreal layout of the past locations.  Really compliments the dream feel.

Developing the musty film.  I thought it added a lot of interesting world-building when you researched it.

Rei's notebook is full of them, especially the photos.  I want that big one of Ruri.

FF4:

I don't know if it was intentional, but Ruka arriving (or being "spirited away") last to the island mirrors how she was last to arrive at the Kiraigou.  

Does anyone else see the faint imprint of a face on the small door in Souya's workshop?  It's creepy for sure, but makes me think someone slammed face-first into it like a Tom & Jerry cartoon, haha.

You can hear Ayako say "die" as part of the ambience in Madoka's room, emphasising how much the fear of her seeped into Madoka's life.

Charging Choushiro's flashlight while pointing at paintings of Sakuya turns the charge circle red, creating a blood moon.

Miya and Misaki's colours are inverted.  I wonder if the choice of white and blacks is supposed to mimick the moon and eclipse?

The pillar of masks in the caves is so cool.

FF5:

At the start of the 12th drop, Yuuri won't disturb Miu and Miku while they're sleeping.  After finding out where she needs to go, she'll now enter their room but Miu's moved downstairs.  I like to think it's a sign that Yuuri wouldn't have left without waking and telling Miu, so she won't wake up and wonder where she is.

If you examine one the partitions in the House of Joining, the character will mention that it's placed upside down, like for a funeral.  I love the eerie contrast of a wedding ceremony and placements of things like that.

Before the Chamber of Vows, there's a carving above the door of crashing waves, which reminded me of the Shadowspring.  Also, in the Shrine of the Ephemeral, there's an elaborate altar with a miniature shrine.  Directly beneath it downstairs is a reliquary with a vertical carving that looks like Black Water.  A representation of being submerged beneath the Shrine on the Water maybe?

And probably loads more!

• midwinter and MacabrelleEnvy like this

#2 ONLINE   Rezz

Rezz

Mama Miya

• Spirited Aways
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLurking

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:24 AM

Ooo. I may add to this later if I get the chance to go through the games again (because who wouldn't want to do that... just need to finish this NG+ of P5).

FF1: The blood dripping into the fishtank room... and how you aren't 100% sure if it's actually blood still because... well, who would still be bleeding this many hundreds of years after being killed? But it's definitely red...

Also the first time you see the disembodied head ghost isn't it rolling up the stairs? I can't remember if it's going up or down, but watching it roll on the stairs is my favorite.

FF2: My favorite detail was always how Mayu talked to herself. Bonus points that there's more of it in DCB. THAT SAID my favorite thing in the world is the Flickering Room conversation she has where it swaps off from her at first talking about Sae... and then becomes Sae. (Also the original Sae boss fight where it's Sae and Mayu talking back and forth about basically the same things.) Basically everything that was Sae and Mayu being perfect mirrors to each other.

In the original 2, when you finished assembling the doll on the pedestal to open the passageway, it got a ghostly aura and moved a little bit. They took that out in DCB. :c

Also, Kureha. 100% best ghost in the game.

FF3: The way Ruri would react sometimes to tell you there were ghosts in the house. The haunting of the house in general was great because it took away the idea that Rei's house was a 'safe space' outside the nightmare.

Reika picking Kei up with one hand if you got caught when you were trying to stealth around.

The phase change in Reika's final boss fight. The one where she's following you around and you can't see where she is? But in the background you see a bunch of memories and scenes playing and it's dark and horrible and basically Reika just yanked you into her own nightmare. Also watch out when she pops up!

FF4: Both of Ayako's rooms were always so unsettling and well-done, and the contrast was amazing. Her 'regular' room was noisy and full of light and weird shadows and it was always moving around and it was so busy it was hard to tell when she'd pop up and attack you, and then you go into this dimly lit monochrome room with sparse furniture, and the only background noise is this awful, creaking breathing. They did a good job making it sound like the breathing was right in your ear the whole time, too.

The Getsuyuu screech. And how ghosts with worse Getsuyuu symptoms would have a louder one (until it got to the point you could hardly hear anything Sakuya was saying over hers). It was that feedback-y, high pitched mechanical noise. It was a well-realized detail that let you actually 'hear' the distorted 'sound of a soul' that everyone talked about in notes.

I kinda liked all the masks all over the place, and each different wall hanging display would say something different if you investigated them.

Luigi hat wobble.

You can literally see details of both Sakuya and Misaki's features in Miya's human-ghost form. 

FF5: #1 forever: All the random things the falling woman(women) would fall off and scream as she fell past you. That is absolutely my favorite thing because she kept jumping off different, random things and it became the best guessing game if something nearby was high up enough for her to jump from it. nnnnnnNNNOOOOOOOooooo

That Ouse literally says the same thing to Ren - whom she is mistaking for her long-lost lover - as to Yuuri about going to meet up with her. The implication is. Interesting.

When your wetness meter is high enough, even though the action of the game pauses every time you pick up an object or note, etc., your character will still be dripping water. It's always funny.

Edited by Rezz, 11 May 2017 - 05:28 AM.

• midwinter, Hex and MacabrelleEnvy like this

#3 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:07 PM

I might have to come back to this topic a few times, because there are so many and I always forget about them. Hopefully I won't repeat myself too much from the community replay thread.

FF1

IIRC if you check the mirror in the Rope Hallway as Miku and Mafuyu, they'll say different things. Mafuyu just says there's nothing reflected in it, whereas Miku says something about feeling nervous seeing the corridor stretching out behind her.

FF2

I harp on about this, but I love the details in Itsuki's room. The butterfly cage on the desk being the same one from the wallpaper with Chitose, the books all being blacked out (by whom?), Ryozo's note lying on the floor under the bars because he couldn't get in and had to push it through and hope Itsuki would be able to read it.

Mio's dubious little afterthought when she finds Mayu's note in the Cell after Mayu's disappeared. "It looks like Mayu's handwriting..." after reading something that could have been written by Sae. idk why, I just like it. Maybe because it's the closest Mio comes to verbally acknowledging that something weird is going on with Mayu?

The noticeable difference in levels of preservation between the Kiryu and Tachibana houses. It makes them more interesting to explore than if they'd been identical, but you can infer a lot about the backstory from careful environment design like that too.

The hands in the drawer in the Flickering Room.

Another one from Homuranagi's site, but I loved that the village's reputation as a place where people get spirited away actually predates the Repentance, because of all the people who were kidnapped to become Kusabi over the years. It really gives a sense of history. I like Kureha and the Shadow Festival for the same reason.

DCB specific, but you know the bit where Man Killed by Kusabi climbs up from under the floor in the corridor outside the Great Hall? They added some bloody handprints on the floorboards.

All the decorative lantern shades. It's so minor, but I just like the variety of them.

FF3

The first time you enter the Stained Corridor, the way one of the shadows on the wall appears to move. Combine that with the footsteps in the soundtrack, it makes the whole place really unsettling. I think my whole first playthrough I was really nervous in there.

I'm not sure this counts as a detail so much as "something only a diehard nitpicky fan would care about", but the more I play FF3 the more I love the environment design. The first time the layout is so bewildering, but the more you get used to that, the more you feel how carefully it was put together. I adore how the early chapters will casually draw your attention towards things that aren't relevant yet but will come back later - the locked door in the foyer right next to where you start, peeping into the Sealed Room to photograph Hisame so early in the game, Kiriko hanging out in all the crawlspaces that only Miku can get into, etc. It makes things confusing, because there are so many half-hidden and subtle things you have to find again when you've forgotten where the hell you saw them, and a lot of them are optional, but when you do there's a real sense of payoff. The other games attempt to do a bit of that as well, but I don't think any of the games are as good at it as FF3.

The candles in Rei's room that Miku made for her. The appointment book Miku gave her with "Don’t work too hard!" written in the margin. The photography books Miku chose for her. </3

FF4

The torii gate and offering box in the basement of Rougetsu Hall, where the floor's made of metal grating so you can see the river running underneath. When you examine it the character thinks the torii gate is just being stored there because it's not being used, but I like to think it's part of the same sacred river that flows in the tunnels.

Speaking of the tunnels, they're full of cool things. I like the hidden-face statues covered in paper talismans the best.

You Haibara's fluttery hair.

The carving of the sea bream in the Connecting Corridor. Why.

Magaki's series of paintings with the tiny couple. They really make you wonder about his past.

Still Ruka's comment about the stacked boxes under the wall shrine being like an offering to the closet god.

FF5

If you examine one the partitions in the House of Joining, the character will mention that it's placed upside down, like for a funeral.  I love the eerie contrast of a wedding ceremony and placements of things like that.

Oh, that's cool, I've never seen that! I don't remember where I found it now, and I've forgotten the vocabulary so I haven't been able to look it up successfully, but a while back I saw a Japanese fan on Twitter saying that the arrangement of the dishes in the banquet hall also reflects some kind of paraphernalia used in Buddhist funerals. I wish I'd saved the link.

On the way up to the Unfathomable Forest, there's a gap in the cliff rocks where you can look down on the Purification Pool from the other side. I didn't notice it for ages, and now I look through it every time hoping something will be there.

Hisoka's clock addiction. And her lamp addiction. It's okay to admit you have a problem, Hisoka.

Shizuku's flowers!

Miu hesitating over following Yuuri into the Lake of the Departed. Never mind that she waded through an entire flooded graveyard to get there, lol. I may be overthinking it, but I think it's less about getting her feet wet and more of an important symbolic moment for her, like that's the point where she decides to go all in and involve herself in Yuuri's problems and try to help her.

I like the whole story of the priest who moved into the Shrine of Dolls for a while. I wish we knew his name and what happened to him.

I noticed when I was recording the soundtrack that the music in the first part of the onsen is different from the music in the inner part. Same thing with the Shrine of the Ephemeral, the smaller lantern altar and the room with the Kagome's box both have different music from the rest of the building. It's not something most people would notice - I didn't until I started paying attention - but it's a subtle way to differentiate certain areas and set them apart from the rest.

That Ouse literally says the same thing to Ren - whom she is mistaking for her long-lost lover - as to Yuuri about going to meet up with her. The implication is. Interesting.

So much! <3 I really don't see any other way to take that.

Spirit Camera

The handprints on the photo of the screen in the purple diary!

Akira's note about playing hide and seek in a white manor in the mountains. I'll take any details I can get about the house.

• Hex and MacabrelleEnvy like this

#4 OFFLINE   Eisenalex

Eisenalex

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 28 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:12 PM

[...]

FF4: Both of Ayako's rooms were always so unsettling and well-done, and the contrast was amazing. Her 'regular' room was noisy and full of light and weird shadows and it was always moving around and it was so busy it was hard to tell when she'd pop up and attack you, and then you go into this dimly lit monochrome room with sparse furniture, and the only background noise is this awful, creaking breathing. They did a good job making it sound like the breathing was right in your ear the whole time, too.
[...]

Oh god, yes. I loved how the hands/arms hanging from the ceiling seemed like grabbing the PCs and how they ducked and got them out of their hair. Or maybe they did actually grab them? I'm not sure.

Helga stundin komin,
allt er orðið hlytt.

#5 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Lighthouse Climber

• Haori Inspector
  • 758 posts
  • LocationZero Stage

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

All of these are so good.   :D  I remembered a couple more!

FF1:  

Blinded teleporting behind you references the line in the Kagome, Kagome song the kids sing: "who is behind you now?"  Interestingly, they reused the idea in DCB with a new attack for Girl Playing Tag.  IIRC Mayu was supposed to sing the song during a new segment bridging Chapters 7 & 8 together, but only appeared in Haunted House Mode (midwinter's got us covered).  The kids on Mt. Hikami sing the same line when they appear outside the Shrine of Dolls behind Yuuri as well.  It's cool it's somewhat a recurring detail.

FF2:

Mio's description of the cell in DCB is fitting.  "Something in the stale air speaks of the keepers of village tradition, and those that researched it."

In the short story Tamashizume, we find out the Osaka house's position at the foot of Misono Hill is deliberate.  The family oversees outsiders visiting the village and communicates with them through the lattice window, the same one Miyako watches Mio and Mayu through.  It's cool they recreated that feeling of being watched, even if the context isn't supplied in the game.

Sae's laughter and the storm as ambience in the Great Hall.  It's awesomely sinister.

The lanterns released during the Shadow Festival filling the sky like Crimson Butterflies.

FF3:

The tattoos showing when you're attacked.  It's a cool effect that somehow looks painful.  It's an interesting way to suggest wounds too since they were initially made with blood.

Being able to kick the candles outside the Chamber of Thorns! 

That Miku has the choice to follow Mafuyu or attempt to wake up.  Not that it helped much in the end...

FF4:

Ayako's room on the large map in the first floor nurse's station is scrawled out, which could be the work of Fuyuko, the nurse terrified of her whose contraction of Getsuyuu is subtly creepy.  I wonder if forgetting her key in the dining hall was the moment she realised...

Part of the coverup involving Haibara hospital and the kidnapping was the murder of a construction worker positioned in the tunnels.  Allegedly he confessed in his suicide note, but we find a log down there that ends suddenly.  You likely killed him and set it up to look like he was the kidnapper.  Grim stuff.  I love it.

The masked outsider attending to Sakuya in the Mourning Shrine was You all along.  That could be how Choushiro got the tip that he was still on the island.

I like the position of the smashed mirror beside Sakuya's diary.  Kind of gives you an idea of her mental state.  There's also handprints on the TV screens littered around the wards; makes me wonder if it's the ghosts trying to destroy their reflection.

All of 4's vanishing ghosts actually follow you with their heads instead of staring at fixed points, like when Iori watches you from behind the drape.  It's much more eerie.

FF5:

This probably wasn't intentional but the pinwheels on the Twilit Peak use the last 3 games' theme colours: red, blue and yellow.

There's a small doll hidden behind a partition on the shop floor.  Part of me wishes it was like 5's Miku's doll, but instead of growing hair it vanished to different places in the shop each chapter.

The pictures Ren takes when he stands in for Kunihiko.  Makes me wish we could've played through a restored Mt. Hikami like in the photos.

The screeching tires in Hiromichi's background music.  

If you try to leave after picking a bride, the Wedding Celebrant locks you in and basically tells you off.   :D

I'm overly obsessed with getting into the Mikomori station car park and gift shop.  They sound so interesting and I don't know why.

This is more of a joke, but I wonder if some of the documents in Keiji's house are "unreadable" because, being born in England, he writes in English occasionally?

Ren's phone rings after watching the Mayoiga tape.  Ring reference?  

Spirit Camera:

The vine motif of all the ghost designs is really cool.  It's like they're marked by Woman in Black as being "hers", but also as extensions of her, like branches.

• midwinter and MacabrelleEnvy like this

#6 ONLINE   Rezz

Rezz

Mama Miya

• Spirited Aways
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLurking

Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

All of 4's vanishing ghosts actually follow you with their heads instead of staring at fixed points, like when Iori watches you from behind the drape.  It's much more eerie.

That became especially hilarious when Dr. Haibara would go walking down the longer hallways, with his head just craned sideways looking down the direction you're standing instead of watching where he's going. You did it a couple times, too.

But my favorite is when you see Madoka's vanishing ghost in her room with Misaki. You can walk all over the room and she just sits there and watches you until you go up to her and... well, Misaki reaches right for her chest so  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Hex likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fandom, Opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users