Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
Hex : (22 April 2017 - 09:44 PM) Cannibal
suprimeking : (22 April 2017 - 09:48 PM) yeah
suprimeking : (22 April 2017 - 09:54 PM) is this the next fatal frame plot
Hex : (22 April 2017 - 10:08 PM) Hopefully not
suprimeking : (22 April 2017 - 10:09 PM) i agree
suprimeking : (22 April 2017 - 10:10 PM) cannibal ghosts would be a nope
Hex : (22 April 2017 - 10:11 PM) Not that, I just don't think it suits Fatal Frame
suprimeking : (22 April 2017 - 10:12 PM) ms dubstep bought me a glue gun.....i'm not sure how to feel about this
Hex : (22 April 2017 - 10:12 PM) What for?
suprimeking : (22 April 2017 - 10:13 PM) to build a model of the black pearl
Zuhna : (22 April 2017 - 10:15 PM) no. Everyone starved and turned into ghosts and now they haunt pizza places
suprimeking : (22 April 2017 - 10:15 PM) she keeps making innudendo's unintionally XD
suprimeking : (22 April 2017 - 10:16 PM) zuhna, lets not cross over into fnaf here
suprimeking : (22 April 2017 - 10:27 PM) i feel like writing
suprimeking : (23 April 2017 - 12:00 AM) that's enough writing for now, i'm off
Hex : (23 April 2017 - 01:03 PM) Just a few days until Outlast 2.
suprimeking : (23 April 2017 - 01:27 PM) seeing how terrifying the first game was it will no doubt be far better
Hex : (23 April 2017 - 02:28 PM) Hopefully.  I like the look of it so far.
suprimeking : (23 April 2017 - 04:45 PM) i remember watching the demo
suprimeking : (24 April 2017 - 12:00 AM) i'm off

Photo
- - - - -

Settings and themes: where to go from here?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Eisenalex

Eisenalex

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 13 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:10 PM

It's been discussed in the shoutbox several times now and I thought it'd be a good idea to give it its own thread:
We had a mansion, a village, the sleep manor, an island with a hospital, and a mountain. Twin rituals, cursed tattoos, the moon, cursed diaries, black water... what else is there for the Fatal Frame series to explore?
This thread is to discuss ideas you would either like to see in a future game or that you could imagine being used. I love coming up with game ideas and I thought this could be fun for others as well.

To make the start, here's the first to ideas for imaginary games that came up in the shoutbox:

1. A cursed snowstorm on a mountain

The antagonist:

A yuki onna like ghost of a young woman who was supposed to be a virgin sacrifice but fell in love, became pregnant and got a forced abortion, making her spirit get overwhelmed with negativity and obsessed with motherhood.
The setting:

You come across the antagonist while you're hiking during winter with your fiancee/friend/relative/whatever and meet a young woman who convinces you to carry her baby up the mountain to her house. She vanishes while you do so and you see that it's actually just a stone wrapped in sheets, so you throw it away, feeling tricked. The woman/ghost, thinking that was actually her child, gets furious and conjures up a snowstorm, separating you from your companion and trapping you on the mountain, where you find a couple of huts and a frozen over temple, that were used by monks, hunters and wood cutters.

Unique game mechanics:

The snowstorm gets stronger or weaker, depending on the chapter. That way you either couldn't get outside at all, a lake could get frozen over so you could explore a small island on that lake, an avalanche could cut off parts of the area... using freezing water, avalanches and snow cleverly, you could have a comparatively small game area that keeps changing over the course of the game.
Similar to the wetness gauge of FF5, you could have a "coldness gauge", where you're at the risk of hypothermia. Saving points would be fireplaces and you could have puzzles where you need to lighten up certain lanterns.

2. A haunted boarding school
The antagonist:
The ghost of the headmaster of the school or some other member of the school staff.

The setting:
Your grandmother, who you were really attached to, died and you go through her belongings after her funeral, finding old diaries that tell of her past where she went to a boarding school, with many parts missing, so you go there to learn more about what happened to her and you find the former school to be completely abandoned and you get confronted with the literal ghosts of her pasts. It's a little clichée, but in that setting you can easily incorporate themes of bullying, sexual und psychological abuse, and other things. Your enemies could be the ghosts of your grandma's classmates, teachers, the ground keeper and other school staff who see you as her and want you to take her place among them to "complete" them. A boarding school would also allow for a variety of areas, like a gym, a dining room, bedrooms, classrooms, the school grounds including a part of a forest and so on.

So, what do you think about it? What would you add or what do you think isn't fitting?
What would you do if you were in charge of directing the next game? There's still a lot to explore in my opinion - haunted factories, modern apartment complexes, hotels, abandoned military areas...
I'm looking forward to read about your ideas!

• Kenshin 4 likes this

Helga stundin komin,
allt er orðið hlytt.

#2 OFFLINE   GreekShadow

GreekShadow

Jelly Bisquit

• Spirited Aways
  • 231 posts
  • LocationGreece/Athens

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:02 AM

Hmmm I had some thoughts about it too and one idea that sounded cool in my mind was a "Hidden Underground Town" or something and by that I don't mean narrow tunnels,the celling would be wayyyyy higher from the whole town,unreachable.It could be like a regular town with houses,markets,maybe a small lake,a brook,shrines blah blah but it would all somehow be influenced by the fact that it is way below the surface.

It could have many potentional ideas to explore,maybe there was a distaster and people couldnt get out of there,maybe someone had a secret passage to the surface who brought food/water and people treated him like a god,maybe since it was far from the surface it was closer to the otherworld.Light/fire or electricity with endangared batteries could be a huge concept of the whole story cause without it it would be literally hella dark.Maybe bringing people from the surface to sacrifice or something,so people in the above surface (normal)town start missing,and we could play a detective's side from above who would communicate with normal/alive people trying to solve the mystery apart from the "trapped protagonist" below.

And in general the scenery could be really interesting and add a fresh feel to the series without feeling unfamiliar or too different.Ofcourse it could have it's creepy otherworldy rituals in it and in terms of gameplay they could really try to play with fear of isolation,fear of running out of light,maybe a ghost would be so freaking scary cause he would just blow the candles/lights away laughing.Down there that would be a huge deal.

I would love to explore something like that but it will probably never happen,oh well  :beard:

tumblr_mayvegYZYE1rnbk4so1_400.gif

#3 OFFLINE   Eisenalex

Eisenalex

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 13 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:50 PM

That reminds me of this: https://en.wikipedia...nderground_city
I think this could work, but how would you avoid it being too monotonous when everything is so cramped?

Helga stundin komin,
allt er orðið hlytt.

#4 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Dishevelled Folklorist

• Haori Inspector
  • 721 posts
  • LocationDinner table

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:07 AM

Greek's idea kind of reminds of Kitezh in Rise of the Tomb Raider; a lost city hidden under a glacier, patrolled by deathless knights searching the streets.  Reminded me a bit of the lost village and the roaming villagers and was quite eerie - I'd be really interested to see something like that.  A snowstorm that changes the environment is a great idea, too.  Would love to explore Frozen shrines and caves.

I'd be curious to see a game that explored time, maybe using two time periods alongside each other that change due to desciaions you make.  I'm not familiar with Japanese history, but maybe something traditional like the Heian period similar to Kuon, playing as a Shinto priest or priestess with their own camera, a strange device that found its way into their timeline with a mystery of its own.  There's always been that contrast of old and modern in Fatal Frame, I wonder if they could toy with it like that?  Including something like the prophecy photos from the manga, with a camera that inversely reveals the future, which a modern day character could find which depicts events happening to them, could be interesting, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users