Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
Butterflychaser : (12 April 2018 - 11:52 PM) :icon_hisame:
Butterflychaser : (12 April 2018 - 11:53 PM) I agree- I much prefer the pre 4 set out of the games, though it's probably nostalgia in my personal case
Butterflychaser : (12 April 2018 - 11:53 PM) Oh well, I'm just glad the series is still alive and this forum is too...kinda. It's nice coming here from time to time
PikaLink91 : (13 April 2018 - 07:27 AM) I had honestly hoped for a bit more activity, oh well, guess I am just late to the party...
Hex : (19 April 2018 - 08:04 PM) Will anyone be replaying 4 for its 10th anniversary in July?   :icon_ruka:
PikaLink91 : (19 April 2018 - 09:21 PM) I was actually thinking about replaying it tonight. Is my favorite afterall.
midwinter : (19 April 2018 - 09:54 PM) I'll definitely be doing that at some point - I still need to get proper quality costume images for the wiki
Butterflychaser : (22 April 2018 - 02:55 PM) I will be!
EternalSinger : (29 April 2018 - 06:54 PM) I will be! Much excitement.
GregZerO : (01 May 2018 - 08:09 AM) I finally ordered RE7 yesterday since it got a huge price drop and I'm looking forward to it!
Hex : (01 May 2018 - 10:08 AM) *excitement levels rise*  I hope you enjoy it!   :icon_tengai:
Hex : (01 May 2018 - 10:09 AM) Nice to see FF4 love too.  <3
GregZerO : (07 May 2018 - 09:52 PM) my first impressissions is that RE7 is great
GregZerO : (07 May 2018 - 09:54 PM) was afraid that it might feel a bit too much outlast
GregZerO : (07 May 2018 - 09:54 PM) (and i didnt enjoy outlast 2 at all)
GregZerO : (07 May 2018 - 09:55 PM) but its great,feels like i'm playng REmake/REZero
GregZerO : (07 May 2018 - 09:57 PM) i m pretty early in the game though, but i enjoy it a lot
Chou : (17 May 2018 - 04:14 PM) Speaking of FF4, I had to redo my patch for the translation for my Wii... And started it up from scratch. I think I had only made it halfway through before
Chou : (18 May 2018 - 02:10 PM) I can't believe it's been 10 years!  For the anniversary, do we want to start a thread for everyone wanting to play through and relive the nostalgia? (or play through the first time because i never completed it before, haha :x )
midwinter : (18 May 2018 - 04:39 PM) that would be a good idea!

Photo
- - - - -

Which "lore" is the strongest/with greatest influence so far?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ochiru

Ochiru

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAsia

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:44 AM

The Himuro Mansion. They follow the Strangling ritual to seal the gates to hell.

The All God's Village. Sacrifices Twins to appease the * ,preventing The Repentance.

The Manor of Sleep of the Kuze Shrine. Impalement Ritual is conducted to prevent The Unleashing(of the Miasma).

I haven't played Mask of the Lunar Eclipse and the Maiden of Black Water so I'm not familiar with their lore yet. Someone can enlighten me on this.

Given the circumstances that happened in the games, it appears that The Manor of Sleep is no doubt the one with the strongest

influence among them as it was powerful enough to connect and relieve the places and even the ghosts itself experienced by all the protagonist. What do you guys think?

Edited by Ochiru, 30 March 2017 - 01:52 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   Rheo

Rheo

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Philippines

Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:26 PM

I think I agree! XD Well honestly, I just finished Chapter 1 of FF4 and I've only begun, even though I know everything, I think playing through would help me understand as much as I could from reading too. And same for FF5, but can't play it yet either... Although looking at their lore and its themes, I can feel that FF3 resonate with me more than either FF4 or FF5, which I think might be in second place for me. I guess? Overall, this is in terms of emotional impact and the power of the story or plot. But at some point, I might change my mind, so... that... in the meantime, this is my answer :v

• Ochiru likes this

th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo2_250_zps034th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo6_250_zps979  
One, Three, and Four, my favorite characters as of now.
Two? No. Five? No!
and Zero? NO!

#3 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 715 posts
  • LocationIn a nest made of the Kusabi's hair.

Posted 25 December 2017 - 07:37 PM

2's and 4's for me.  The Crimson Sacrifice Ritual and everything to do with the Kagura are amazing in my eyes.  The additional elements in DCB help sweeten the deal.

#4 OFFLINE   Ochiru

Ochiru

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAsia

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:27 PM

I see. But what I'm talking specifically here is the "power" of the lore from the game universe itself. Which do you think is the most powerful among the practices that were being followed by the villages from the past within the game.  I say that the "Manor of Sleep" urban legend is the most influential among them. It was able to connect all the first and second game into a single dream. And it can definitely do that among the characters of 4 and 5.

#5 OFFLINE   Rheo

Rheo

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Philippines

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:32 PM

I see. But what I'm talking specifically here is the "power" of the lore from the game universe itself. Which do you think is the most powerful among the practices that were being followed by the villages from the past within the game.  I say that the "Manor of Sleep" urban legend is the most influential among them. It was able to connect all the first and second game into a single dream. And it can definitely do that among the characters of 4 and 5.

oh well uh I still stand by with my answer above. i mean same thing if i were to respond to your reply XD 

th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo2_250_zps034th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo6_250_zps979  
One, Three, and Four, my favorite characters as of now.
Two? No. Five? No!
and Zero? NO!

#6 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 821 posts
  • LocationThe white sands of limbo

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:31 PM

I would say 4's.  Getsuyuu syndrome is limited to the area around Rougetsu island, but it's quickly spread and hard to contain, and the resulting disaster consumed the entire island within a day.  While the other curses needed some time and a process (being touched, losing a loved one, seeing something you shouldn't, etc.), Getsuyuu and Blooming could really happen to anyone, and in some cases instantly.  And though it's scope is limited, the maiden would have spread it further than the islands if we didn't stop her at the end, which would've been uncontainable at that point imo.

• Ochiru likes this

#7 OFFLINE   Ochiru

Ochiru

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAsia

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:43 PM

Whoa, I see. I haven't played 4 and 5 yet so I have no information regarding their "lores" yet. But even so, 3 can still "possess" most of what has transpired within 4 or even 5's premise. The Manor of sleep basically "connects" the victim's memory into it's own, making it part of the nightmare. Worst of this is the victim is guaranteed to be spirited away/ turned into black soot, leaving no traces of the human body behind, much worse than suicide.

Edited by Ochiru, 29 December 2017 - 07:47 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 821 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:40 PM

The dream manor can manifest memories, and call spirits related to them into the Rift, like Miku's shrine maiden and Mio's Kusabi, but I don't think it's the strongest overall.  As we can see with Yoshino's shadow ghosts, it's mostly illusions, memories.  It's contained to just the dream world, after all.  It's also potentially been active from as early as the late 1800s, but hasn't claimed a large number of victims, and tends to effect individuals over groups. 

The threat on Rougetsu island, however, is a lot deadlier.  If the ritual fails, the maiden can enter a state called "Blooming" - basically, her soul is wiped clean, becoming total nothingness, and its highly contagious.  Just looking at her blurred face is enough to kill you.  Then, after she's "infected" the whole island, she can wait just 10 years for the next lunar eclipse (it's a door to the spirit world, like the Hell Gate) to "bloom" greater and spread the disease to other islands.

To be honest, I think the suicides on Mt. Hikami are worse than becoming soot and part of the dream.  The deaths we see in 5 are almost always hard to watch, and there's an element of the suicides repeating over and over after death.  For example, a character possessed into slitting her throat continues to do so even as you fight her as a ghost.  

• midwinter and Ochiru like this

#9 OFFLINE   Ochiru

Ochiru

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAsia

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:12 AM

Very interesting. It seems like I really need to witness the story of 4 and 5 then. Thanks, Hex. I think I'm mistaken here after reading what you just posted, I guess I'm inclined to agree which leaves me to another question, kinda deviating from the topic.

I don't have any Nintendo console which unfortunately the only consoles where you can play 4 and 5. If I decide to just watch a playthrough, would it affect the overall experience? I mean, I am a legit Fatal Frame fan, but I don't think it's reasonable to purchase an expensive Wii console(but i'm considering doing so if there'll be another upcoming Fatal Frame title) just to play it. What are your thoughts on this?

#10 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 715 posts
  • LocationIn a nest made of the Kusabi's hair.

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

I think you'll get a better experience if you play it for yourself blind.  That's how these kinds of things usually work.  If the money's an issue for you it just ends up depending on whether you are willing to or not.  However, I do think the experience is better if you play it for yourself.

• Ochiru likes this

#11 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 821 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:47 AM

I don't think it would affect things much.  I understand not wanting to buy different consoles for each game, it's a pain.   If you watch them, let us know what you think.   :)

• Ochiru likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users