Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
midwinter : (18 August 2017 - 04:07 PM) I think it's because people are starting to talk about Halloween and Yuletide, so I'm getting into that end-of-the-year frame of mind
Hex : (19 August 2017 - 02:55 PM) I could set this year's up soon if you'd like?  I was thinking of starting earlier as well.   :icon_tengai:
midwinter : (19 August 2017 - 09:37 PM) Oh man, my heart is saying yes but my head is saying, how much earlier are we talking? Cause I think even starting in November we had people sign up and then forget it was a thing
Rezz : (19 August 2017 - 10:24 PM) (I'm game for whenever)
Eisenalex : (19 August 2017 - 11:43 PM) Oh, christmas exchange. I'd like to participate, too.
Eisenalex : (19 August 2017 - 11:48 PM) and since I now "lost" my job, I'll have more time to actually work on stuff, lol.
Eisenalex : (20 August 2017 - 01:03 AM) Is anything wrong with the forum? Because my browser keeps giving me warnings about it for quite a while now.
midwinter : (20 August 2017 - 10:08 AM) I'm not sure :\ I haven't been getting warnings, and I think it might be because the forum software is out of date
midwinter : (20 August 2017 - 10:08 AM) but the main site did get hacked once, so idk
Hex : (20 August 2017 - 10:21 AM) I think we could be okay if we set up the sidebar to promote the exchange, so people won't forget.  I could post the sign up topic today if you guys like?
Eisenalex : (20 August 2017 - 10:22 AM) Ah, ok. I sent the FB page a message a while ago but didn't get a response, so I thought I could just give it a try without it being too dangerous for me, lol.
Hex : (20 August 2017 - 07:33 PM) Or not.
Rezz : (20 August 2017 - 09:23 PM) Or not
midwinter : (22 August 2017 - 12:59 PM) Whoa, I just heard Yashuu say "You might as well give up" to Kei - I don't think I've ever heard that before
midwinter : (22 August 2017 - 01:00 PM) You tell him, Ms Kuze
midwinter : (22 August 2017 - 01:42 PM) Ohhhh
midwinter : (22 August 2017 - 01:42 PM) Okay, Miku's first crawlspace, the bodies at the back behind the gratings are the bodies in the entrance to the Bell Hallway
midwinter : (22 August 2017 - 01:43 PM) That is cool, I never realised that before
Hex : (22 August 2017 - 05:16 PM) :o !
Eisenalex : (23 August 2017 - 03:20 PM) The Dreadout games are currently in the lowest tier of the Humble Bundle, if anybody here is interested.

Photo

Fake "official" site on Facebook

Hoax

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:36 AM

If you're on Facebook, you might have seen this page, which describes itself as the "Official Fatal Frame fan page". I posted about them before in 2013, when they were claiming that a sequel to FF3 called Fatal Frame: Kurushime was being developed. They got called out on it, claimed they'd been hacked, and went quiet for a bit, but lately they've been posting again, so I thought it was time for a recap.

This page has been making false claims since 2011. Occasionally they manage to post something that's true, to give themselves more credibility, but the vast majority of what they post is crap. Their pattern is pretty repetitive - they'll claim there's a new game in the works, or a remake, or an HD remaster, or a movie. They might even give a release date, usually a few months in the future, because they assume no one will bother to check back later. They talk about Fatal Frame games getting released for PS3, PS4, Xbox One and PC, because they know it's what people want to hear and it gets them likes. They go back and forth about whether they're official or unofficial, and often hedge by saying things "might be possible" etc while still getting people's hopes up. They run "contests" where they say you can win products that don't exist, usually in return for liking their page or leaving your full name. From what I've seen, I don't think they're actually trying to get money or data, just page likes, but since they're constantly lying about everything, I wouldn't trust them if I were you.

If you want a laugh, check out their really terrible fanfic.

- Here's where they claim there's a "standard edition" of FF5 outside Japan, not the Limited Edition or digital download.
- Here, here, here and here they use the erroneous, unofficial title "Oracle of the Sodden Raven", which was created by someone at NicoVideo, not anyone involved with Tecmo or Nintendo.
- This one also talks about an "English patch" rather than an English translation.
- Here they claimed in April 2015 that Kadokawa would be releasing an English dub of Gekijoban Zero. Obviously, this hasn't happened.
- Here they claimed FF5 would be released in the US in June 2015. The actual release date was October 2015.
- Here and here they use another fan-created title, Fatal Frame V: Black Haired Shrine Maiden. On the first one they also credit a nonexistent artist on a nonexistent Tecmo project for creating a screenshot.
- Ever since the Kurushime days, they've been saying there might be HD remasters and releases for the PlayStation or Xbox (see here, here, here, here, here), which is guaranteed to get fans fawning over them but not at all likely to happen.
- They've mostly learned their lesson and stopped using fan-created art for self-promotion, but not entirely. In 2014 they used this wallpaper by SailorTrekkie92 on DeviantArt. Here, in 2013, they used this PS3 cover mockup by Inochi-PM on DeviantArt.
- Here they link to the Fatal Frame Wikia as a source for their information. Why would an official site need to link to an unofficial fan project again?
- Here they claim they're an unofficial page run by something called "ScrollTeam". ScrollTeam's Facebook is no longer visible, and the only thing that comes up when I google them is this account, which may or may not be related.
- Here's where they admit the Kurushime thing was a scam while still attempting to pass the page itself off as genuine. "Someone hacked into our page and posted misinformation! Please bear with us while our new page management returns to a regular schedule of posting misinformation."
- They deleted a lot of the stuff about Kurushime from their page, but some remains here.
- Here's the post about that nonexistent novel. If anyone's curious, the Japanese text down the side is "Project Zero's Final Novel". "Project Zero" is written in katakana for some reason - probably because that's what comes up when you try to translate "Project Zero" into Japanese using Google Translate.
- Here's where they promote a charity that doesn't exist, claiming that page likes will somehow result in charitable donations to "Acumba, Africa" (which is unknown to Google, almost as if that doesn't exist either - mysterious!) and Inner Asia.
- Oh, this is good. Here's a post where they link to their site under construction. That site still exists and still links to BCL's old URL. I mean, I think BCL is awesome, but it's not official, and I wouldn't expect anyone working for Tecmo or Nintendo to link to us.
- Here and here they talk about a "Remake Wii Edition" that might also be a "Sequel 1 and 2" or "Fatal Frame: The Game" or possibly all of the above, and might be announced or released on 4th June 2012. I guess this is referring to DCB, which was released on 28/29th June 2012, but as usual they have to add their own incoherent embellishments.
- Here's a post where they say people can win a special limited edition US version of Fatal Frame 4. As we know, there is no such thing.
- Here's a post from 2011 where they claimed that Keisuke Kikuchi was producing not one but TWO Fatal Frame movies. Wonder what happened to those.
- Here's where they claimed a "Fatal Frame Remake" would be released on 20 July 2011. Charitably assuming they mean DCB, they're only wrong by about a year...
- Here back in 2011 they were claiming a double release of FF4 and FF5 worldwide. By FF5 they mean DCB, as seen here, not Maiden of Black Water.
- Another nonexistent Fatal Frame with a nonsense title.
- Here and here are a bizarre couple of posts where they claim you can download FF2 and FF4 for free.
- Here they link to the FF4 patch. No official site for a real gaming company would ever promote any kind of third-party mod that requires hacking your console. Seriously.
- Here, back in 2011, they claimed there would be a new "Add-On Pack for Fatal Frame 3" released in July.

• Yashuu and AnimalLover47999 like this

#2 ONLINE   Eisenalex

Eisenalex

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 24 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:32 PM

Looks like they're also hiring at the moment.

We are hiring. Are you interested?
[...]

- Story teller, author, writer (Amateurs are also eligible for hire)
[...]

...and they even hire amateurs to work on official Fatal Frame releases. Lol, isn't that awfully nice?

Helga stundin komin,
allt er orðið hlytt.

#3 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:51 PM

Haha, right? I'm sure it's hard to find qualified people willing to work on video games - such an obscure and unglamorous industry, not the kind of thing people dream about doing professionally from early childhood or anything. And professional writers desperate for work are incredibly rare!

#4 ONLINE   Eisenalex

Eisenalex

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 24 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 February 2017 - 01:48 PM

Well, they've already proven with their fanfic that they can't write themselves so an amateur's work would potentially be a huge step forward.
(The thing is: it looks like they were going for something like "Floyd's Tomb", the literature equivalent of a found footage movie, which could potentially work for FF, just executed so poorly that it looks like they didn't even try.)

I can't even be mad at this site. Their stuff is hilariously bad - especially that "プロジェクトゼロ" book cover - and as long as people don't send them their personal information (although that could be the case with people trying to get hired by them) they don't seem to do much harm.

Helga stundin komin,
allt er orðið hlytt.

#5 OFFLINE   Daniele199

Daniele199

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 32 posts
  • LocationMinakami village

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:03 AM

Damn, so is that a fake page?

And I thought that it was the Official page of Project Zero... ç_ç

#6 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:42 PM

Yeah, I'm afraid so. It's too bad there's no single official hub for news about the whole series! I've always wanted one, but they just give individual games their own websites. So far there hasn't been much social media presence, either, except for the movie; the games are all just bundled into the main Nintendo accounts with everything else.

#7 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of Chuck Cunningham Syndrome.

• Spirited Aways
  • 675 posts
  • LocationThe Red Room.

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:40 AM

What do you think they hope to accomplish by this?  I mean, aren't there people who have followed them and realized that nothing they promise ever comes through?  Why haven't they been outed as a fake to the public?

#8 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:44 PM

I really don't know what they hope to accomplish, if anything - I used to think it was a scam, but the longer it goes on the less I think there is a purpose. It's weird to me, because it's not as though Facebook likes translate to any kind of usable prestige, but hey, some people plagiarise fanfic. At most maybe it could be building a follower base in the hope they'll have a built-in audience for an original project if they ever do one (hence the ScrollTeam stuff), but probably it's just for the attention. Maybe it just makes them feel good to have new page likes whenever they log in, and they wouldn't be able to get that on their own. It's not like it requires huge amounts of work or commitment to maintain.

As for being outed as a fake, well, I'm not sure how much more outed they could get? Shibata has denied all knowledge, Tecmo has denied all knowledge, plus there are the threads here if anyone wants to come looking. I think probably most of their followers aren't that invested or involved in the fandom at large, and maybe the question of whether or not any of this is true is not the most important one to them. They like Fatal Frame, they like the idea of an HD remaster or a sequel on PS4 or whatever, so they follow the page to show approval for those things but don't give it much thought otherwise. Just speculation, but that would be my assumption.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hoax

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users