Anyone trying to register a new account:

The forums are currently being targeted by spambots, so new registrations will have to be manually approved by an admin. I'll try to check the list at least once a day, but if you want to be approved more quickly, or if you've been falsely marked as a spammer, please message elwing.alcyone at Gmail.

- midwinter

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
midwinter : (24 January 2019 - 05:16 PM) i never would have thought of trying to edit it if you hadn't brought it up
GregZerO : (27 January 2019 - 02:24 AM) glad i did :P
GregZerO : (27 January 2019 - 02:42 AM) Also for some reason BCL according to my antivirus pc or something is not a secure page  :thinking:
GregZerO : (27 January 2019 - 02:42 AM) and its weird cause 99% of the pages on he internet are "secure"
GregZerO : (04 March 2019 - 11:10 PM) https://www.youtube....h?v=jDadONMsXjw
GregZerO : (04 March 2019 - 11:10 PM) amano's new song doesn't sound bad
GregZerO : (04 March 2019 - 11:14 PM) and the video is like a fan singing koe or something lel
midwinter : (05 March 2019 - 02:24 PM) ooh, i like it
midwinter : (05 March 2019 - 02:25 PM) it sounds more like her old stuff
GregZerO : (05 March 2019 - 08:19 PM) indeed,I hope someone will upload the full version soon
GregZerO : (05 March 2019 - 08:20 PM) mid how are ur japanese going?
Tigermausbaer : (20 March 2019 - 10:22 AM) Hello everyone! :)
Rheo : (14 April 2019 - 10:10 AM) Hi!
Rui Kurosawa : (20 April 2019 - 01:50 AM) Hi!
TheJake : (31 May 2019 - 09:27 PM) In FF4, are spirit points only used for the shop?  It seems like you just need these crystals for upgrades, but I'm not 100% sure. :P
Kicksville : (02 June 2019 - 01:29 PM) The save point shop and the post-game shop after you're done (for costumes and such)
suprimeking : (24 June 2019 - 12:40 PM) anyone here
suprimeking : (10 July 2019 - 11:11 AM) discord is acting up on me again
Gbarchetta : (28 July 2019 - 06:20 PM) Urgh, I want a new entry in the series :(
Jamie : (28 July 2019 - 07:29 PM) Same here :C

Photo
- - - - -

Box (Cover) Art

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rheo

Rheo

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 500 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Philippines

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:13 AM

Uh, I just realized upon wondering that usually, in some cases, most box art would feature the main protagonist (or antagonist or both) since that is the primary part for the story. Others just put an item (or key item) or logo, as a sort of plot or story significance. I know in FF1 we had those ghosts in the US and EU version but uh, I think it's just part of the art itself. For the DCB, there's Sae in the EU version as well. There's something about the selection of art to put in the cover and publish it... Although Sae is a major character (which, an antagonist here as well), I suppose the ghosts in FF1 were minor and not really important, but I guess that's how you'd describe a game with that cover. For the Xbox, we also have Sae on it too. And that Sae being on the cover is much like, a key element in the story... But...

For the US version, we have the Kiryu twins. But why? Instead of Mio and Mayu (on the Japanese version, they're there)... Or why not choose Sae? Is this to attract the customers and pique their interest, or is it the localization? But even though you don't see them at the ritual only until the nearest end of the story (last chapter I think?). Also, they weren't wearing red strings at that time back then. But you still see them in the trailers, though. The Kiryu twins were still ghosts you could fight, but they seem to be a minor role. Unlike for Sae, where there's the major part of you running away and hiding from her, and I think you also fight her? I can't remember. All this time I thought that because of this, I'd see them in the game as I play along, but... well the other people have bigger roles (Sae and Yae, people involved).

(Sae is much more creepier than the Kiryu twins imo, why not put it there and implement curiosity or stuff when encountering the game at a store or something)

For your reference:

http://bcl.rpen.us/z...es/3/3c/FF2.jpg

US Version

After that, 3, 4, and 5 now include the main protagonist in their cover. 

What do you think of this?

Is it better going with the Kiryu twins on the cover, or would you prefer the Amakura twins instead?

What were your thoughts when you first saw it?

Me? It looked interesting because, well.... they're not the only ones who looked like that... (Was talking about this http://i.onionstatic...19/16x9/960.jpg) so... yeah, and to be in a game as well... OAO And that's also what got me into this game, a little long while before I discovered this forum and gave it a try XD I didn't know about FF1 back then first so... :\

30vipvk.jpg

#2 OFFLINE   Chrysalis

Chrysalis

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 82 posts
  • LocationThrough the Looking Glass

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:34 PM

Honestly, I love the cover. Granted I like all of the covers in some way, but I like that this one dances a weird line between being aesthetically pretty and downright creepy. 

Even though I played the games in the order they were released, this was the first game I saw in person and for me it was very eye-catching. It didn't look like any other game I had seen around, and the grey-scale with splashes of red and two creepy little girls was unnerving in a good way. I think they could have followed a similar format with Sae and still made it eye-catching, but not really because it's "Sae." For people who've never played the game, I don't know that it would make a difference to put an important ghost on the cover versus a random one, because if you haven't played and you don't know anything about it, you wouldn't really know one way or the other.  I do know that when I compare my Xbox cover which has Sae AND Mio on it to the PS2/NTSC cover with the twins that without knowing anything about the games I would have picked the PS2 one over the other because it stands out more. 

In hindsight, I love that my PAL copy of the Wii Edition has Sae, but I actually like that the PS2 one doesn't. I never have thought about the twins on the front being the Kiryu twins  specifically (maybe they are, I never really thought about it) but always kind of struck me as more generic artistic placeholders. Thematically, I like the cover because it feels like it puts more emphasis on the importance of twins in the game than just having Sae would.

But if we are looking at WHY... it's honestly probably as simple as the people in charge thought that the cover with the twins would grab more attention for their audience over here. And, well, it worked on getting my attention.  :)

Edited by Chrysalis, 04 February 2017 - 04:36 PM.

• Rheo likes this
Such order in the midst of chaos makes me woozy and disoriented.

#3 OFFLINE   米兰人

米兰人

Kagome, Kagome Player

• Spirited Aways
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMilano, 밀라노

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:11 PM

I think it was just for marketing purpose.

It was also the time where many Japanese ghost movies were released/remake in the west and the Kiryu twins, considering this, are the most "cinematographic" of the ghosts. One name: Samara.

• Rheo likes this

tutto5600.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users