Signups for the 2017 Christmas Exchange are open! Come and join us for spooky festive gifts!

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
midwinter : (08 November 2017 - 03:29 PM) Ok, playing with headphones is definitely superior
midwinter : (08 November 2017 - 03:31 PM) I knew the music in Rei's house changed after Miku's chapters start but I never noticed it has these little bumps and rustles that make it sound like something's moving in the house
midwinter : (08 November 2017 - 05:41 PM) also there is more ghost talk during Kei's phone call!
midwinter : (08 November 2017 - 05:41 PM) i couldn't hear most of it, though, I need to listen again
Hex : (08 November 2017 - 06:12 PM) Yesss, headphones.  I think you can hear doors being closed in Rei's house too.
Hex : (09 November 2017 - 01:03 PM) Damn, I didn't know they were closing down the miiverse until too late.  My screenshots.  :(
midwinter : (09 November 2017 - 01:40 PM) Argh, no backups? That sucks :(
Hex : (09 November 2017 - 01:48 PM) On the bright side, I still have an album full of pretty scenery and Hisoka looking confused.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) Nintendo shouldn't have shut down Miiverse.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) People loved it.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) And they should have incorporated it onto the Switch.
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:51 AM) Finally finished TEW2, t'was excellent.
GreekShadow : (12 November 2017 - 05:14 AM) I'm glad you enjoed it Hex!How was it comparing to the first one though(,which i personally disliked)?
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:11 PM) I've only played the first for a few hours (didn't like it much either), but it was a big improvement.  The gameplay is fun, the stealth works a lot better, the open world map isn't too big but there's sidequests (one with a cool ghost lady!) and some interesting things to do.
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:17 PM) I was really impressed with the story since it was one of the things that put me off the first. The last 20 minutes were so good, definitely one of the best endings I've seen in awhile.
Daz Hinasaki : (12 November 2017 - 07:17 PM) Hey guys I'm finishing fatal frame 1 on my twitch channel tonight! :) love you to join me https://www.twitch.tv/chunzbunz
GreekShadow : (13 November 2017 - 05:36 AM) oh sounds cool thank you hex!And for me also the story of the first one put me off,glad the second one is better
Hex : (16 November 2017 - 12:01 PM) TIL: ghost marriage is actually practiced in China.   :staffsan:
Rheo : (16 November 2017 - 12:13 PM) O_O
Rheo : (16 November 2017 - 12:13 PM) oh yeah there's a local movie here called The Ghost Bride and the actress playing that is half-Chinese

Photo

Time For More Ghost Discussion

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rezz

Rezz

Mama Miya

• Spirited Aways
  • 91 posts
  • LocationLurking

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:45 PM

Winner for 'most creative topic title' goes to: REZZ [emulates audience going wild noises. Ahhh hisssss yeahhh feverish clapping]

Time for some discussion on end-game plot mechanics! Because why not. Spoilers, ofc. Ready:

Aside from 'because she has to be, it's a Fatal Frame game' why was Ouse aggressive as a ghost?

We know the Yomi water is pretty much liquefied human malice and symbolic as much as literally black water in bad need of some hair-eating Drain-o. Pain and negative emotions so strong it's corrosive, so overwhelming you can drown in it, etc. The parallel was drawn a half-dozen times over the course of the game, so obviously being surrounded by it has to mess with your mind a little bit but, I was just looking over the ending again and I sort of frowned at the lack of cohesion here. She spends most of the final chapter calling out to both Ren and Yuuri to come to her before she finally melts away, which gives you this sense her losing her spiritual resistance to the pain is imminent. She speaks directly to Yuuri in her notes, and I guess also technically to Ren in his endings - which should settle her spirit - and tells them to come to her. All she wants is someone to Mitori her; to hold on to her last emotions before she falls apart. Okay, all fair, but none of that requires aggression, and while the black water might amplify the lonely feeling, you see her a good few times where she isn't aggressive at all. There's no reason to chase people all the way back down the mountain because of it, either, geez. Yuuri gets into the Shadowspring and the first thing Ouse tells her is, "There's no need to be scared." after reiterating that she wants someone to WITNESS HER ride shiny and chrome Ouse. None of her pre-final boss battle dialogue indicates any kind of aggression either. It's just 'come here, HUG ME, PLEASE'.

She never seems to be possessed by any malignant spirits - she's surprisingly coherent and able to speak to and interact with amazing clarity with the protags, and she does so with a consistency, even in her corrupted form - something none of the other antaghostnists managed up to that point. So you get this idea she really just wants a hug, and then she turns around (or I guess floats up into the water-sky when they were NOT underwater before) and attacks Yuuri for

some

reason.

???

Like if turning to yomigoo is an imminent thing, why delay it for a final boss fight? Ain't nobody got time for that, she kept telling them to hurry. You don't need to fight her into a state of weakness to Mitori her - Ren proves that in his good Ouse ending. So, aside from 'because we had to' what are all your thoughts as to why that final boss fight even needed to exist in the first place? Was it just Yuuri refusing to give a hug like a jerk? I open the floor to the rest of you.

Let's breathe some life into the forums

• Hex likes this

#2 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Lighthouse Climber

• Haori Inspector
  • 777 posts
  • LocationZero Stage

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:51 AM

Great topic.  My best guess was that, even past her limit, Ouse was trying to accept someone else's pain by bringing them into the Black Water with her, since the diary addressing Yuuri sounds more like a maiden offering her Glance than requesting one, but I had a wee read of the translations and saw:

In the worldview explanation, I wrote that when you get closer to death you gain the ability to see all kinds of things; Yuuri touches Ouse when she is in the state at the absolute closest to death, and sees in great detail the final thing Ouse saw.

It is because Yuuri is near to death that she can sympathise with Ouse, and never having been able to cry before, now tears naturally flow from Yuuri's eyes. Ouse sympathetically cries also.

Could it be Ouse needed an exceptionally strong Glance with all of the thoughts and emotions she'd seen that Yuuri had to be fought until near death to be able to perform it?

#3 OFFLINE   Shizu Haibara

Shizu Haibara

Unknown Victim

• Spirited Aways
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSapporo, Japan.

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:52 AM

Tall woman...

How about her?

I don't see any sense of guilt from her..

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Musty film, creaky shutters and flickering strobe lights...

TALL WOMAN

SAY SOMETHING ABOUT TALL WOMAN...

I DON'T sense any guilt from her lol

Edited by Shizu Haibara, 30 January 2017 - 12:52 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   Rezz

Rezz

Mama Miya

• Spirited Aways
  • 91 posts
  • LocationLurking

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:16 PM

@Hex: Possibly? I guess it makes sense the Mitori gets stronger the closer to death the user is even though it's... a little weird and I always thought it only meant against the recipient. But you're right, it was Ouse offering her own, but then all you hear is how she actually was the one who wanted it in turn. Or maybe I guess if she was trying to get Yuuri down to a level she could glance her very well... but that still doesn't factor in Ouse wanting to be Mitori'd...

Idk, it is kind of a weird circumstance either way. Also if she wanted Yuuri to glance her, why would she need to attack Miu? Because Miu was taking Yuuri back? Or was it circumstantial just because Miu was close to Yuuri at the time Ouse decided to pop up?

@Shizu: Tall Woman is based off a youkai-ghost more than like a restless human spirit. A specifically vengeful, aggressive spirit. So I imagine because she's basically something out of folklore her lack of remorse was... prrrrobably due to that. It's a pity you can't mitori her. I'd hope she'd have a good backstory.

New thought topic: Mr. Sakaki gets snapped fifteen ways and shoved into a box. We know that happened to some of the failed Yuukon grooms anyway, but did they still do it that way when they were still alive, or you think the random snap-crackle-pop was due to Ghost Power Shenanigans? And if they could do it while alive, holy carp. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users