Signups for the 2017 Christmas Exchange are open! Come and join us for spooky festive gifts!

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
Hex : (30 November 2017 - 01:50 PM) Anyone else got snow?  Brr.
midwinter : (30 November 2017 - 02:55 PM) Yes  :icon_fallenwoman:
Eisenalex : (30 November 2017 - 03:21 PM) Not yet, unfortunately. I need temperatures to drop below 0°C during the day.
AnimalLover4... : (01 December 2017 - 03:27 AM) Lucky.  I love snow.
asagi : (01 December 2017 - 09:32 PM) I wonder when will the temperature be below 20C
Hex : (04 December 2017 - 07:33 PM) psst, midwinter, the FF3 reframing video's out and it's great: https://m.youtube.co...h?v=-f4e3zSFSEE
GreekShadow : (04 December 2017 - 08:32 PM) why does that guy has only so little views
midwinter : (04 December 2017 - 10:26 PM) ohhh, thank you! i'll have to watch it tomorrow now, but i'm looking forward to it
Hex : (05 December 2017 - 03:36 PM) He deserves a lot more
Hex : (05 December 2017 - 04:01 PM) Whenever I see Mafuyu say the broken staircase has nothing to do Takamine, I imagine him skidding down it on a sled with Koji and Tomoe.
Hex : (05 December 2017 - 04:02 PM) Novelists just wanna have fun
Hex : (06 December 2017 - 12:08 PM) Did anyone else not notice the pillars in the Demon Mouth have figures cared into them?  https://s7.postimg.o...3f/IMG_2417.jpg
midwinter : (06 December 2017 - 02:19 PM) oooh, no, that's cool
GreekShadow : (06 December 2017 - 11:58 PM) Lets all agree that in Forbidden Siren 2 ALL the missions with the 2 apartment buildings are the worst
Hex : (07 December 2017 - 12:07 AM) But don't you just love it when everything looks the same?   :chisab:
GreekShadow : (08 December 2017 - 05:34 PM) ;_;
GreekShadow : (08 December 2017 - 07:50 PM) There are chances a new Tenchu has been teased by From Software,if its indeed Tenchu i ll die ,its been 10 years ;_;
Rezz : (09 December 2017 - 12:44 AM) From Software needs to make me another Armored Core
midwinter : (09 December 2017 - 01:48 PM) And where's my Kuon sequel while we're at it
Rheo : (09 December 2017 - 06:39 PM) i thought the name of that game is actually Shadows Die Twice. lol

Photo

Theory on Miku and Mafuyu

Fatal Frame Miku Hinsaki Mafuyu Hinasaki Kirie Himuro Theory

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 783 posts
  • LocationThe white sands of limbo

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:49 PM

I've had this one for awhile, just wasn't sure how to put it.  It started when I thought that Miku and Mafuyu symbolised the two halves of Kirie; an older self bound by destiny, and a younger self doomed to the fate of their other half.  Reading more into the symbolism, I came to the conclusion that Little Kirie might not have actually merged with her adult form, rather crossing over as her own independent spirit, free from the duty of being a maiden.  This is mirrored in the Hinasakis, as Miku escapes without her sixth sense and Mafuyu takes on their burden.  

From there, I built a bit on some of the thoughts I had before.  Miku's equivalent of Kirie's duty is her sixth sense; both are inherited from lines of women cursed in some way, the Afterlife at its root.  As mirrors, they're both split in two.  In the end, I think the story is genuinely about Miku's destiny, as Mafuyu shares it with her, which was actually represented in one of the games' wallpapers.  His sacrifice is for Kirie, but going with the metaphor, you could see it as also for Miku as well.  Had Mafuyu not been Miku's priority, if she'd been in the mansion alone, would she still have left in the ending?  I think it's possible she might have stayed behind out of understanding, too, which could give another purpose for her sixth sense: Miku was always supposed to be in the mansion, she was always going to be at the Hell Gate.  Could it have disappeared because Mafuyu took over for her, like Yuu taking Rei's tattoos, or, like Kirie, he's acting as a Pillar, but for Miku?  Or, an even stranger suggestion, would sealing the Hell Gate have an effect on the living who can see the Other Side?  Food for thought.

Also, doing some digging, I noticed a bit of wording in the guidebook I thought was really interesting regarding the Calamity:

Since the Ceremony of the Ropes was performed using laceration rope created from a shrine maiden who still had worldly connections, the ritual failed and the gates opened slightly, allowing the Malice to leak out.

As it's true, the doors didn't open all the way, though all the records indicated they would.  The conclusion I came to was that similar to Ouse in 5, though Kirie's ritual was a failure, she'd still successfully become a Pillar and was able to prevent the Calamity from reaching its full scope, though bearing the full brunt of the Malice as a result.  It was also strange to me the 5 mirrors located around the mansion would break as a "warning" of the broken seal of the true mirror, which happened well over 100 years ago.  Instead, I think it was a warning, foretelling Kirie's end as a Pillar, as consumed by the Malice, she was unfit to seal the Gate for much longer.

The result of the broken mirrors indirectly lead to the Hinasakis entering the mansion, bringing us back to the beginning.

• Rheo, AnimalLover47999 and Chrysalis like this

#2 OFFLINE   suprimeking

suprimeking

Suprime Hipster

• Spirited Aways
  • 75 posts
  • Locationhell

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:09 PM

this is an interesting theory to consider

you brought this upon yourself mortal now you learn the way of darkness 

#3 OFFLINE   Meital

Meital

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 289 posts
  • Locationwith Onion-san

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:13 PM

This is very interesting theory. I think it changes the whole feeling in the game. In a good way. Makes me really think this game in a new light.

So it seems like Miku's and Mafuyu's destiny is meant to be, and it was no accident that they did go there.

Let's pretend that this theory was canon: I'm just wondering why those other people went to Himuro mansion? Just to investigate or did they go there so Mafuyu would eventually go to find them? and then Miku would follow him after that. Because it's their destinyyyy :0

#4 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 702 posts
  • LocationThe Red Room.

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:30 AM

I think they were always meant to go there to solve the Calamity, though whether or not it ends happily for any of the parties involved is up to the actions of Mafuyu and Kirie's Love in the true and photo end respectively.  You could mix and match the two endings to come to your own conclusions about how necessary the actions of any one person was, but in the end the core thing that needed to happen did.  Kirie succeeded in permanently sealing the gate to hell and saving the world from being thrown into everlasting suffering.

A really cool theory and I would love if that was their intentions, though it completely flew over my head if it's true.  haha.

Edited by AnimalLover47999, 07 November 2017 - 03:31 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame, Miku Hinsaki, Mafuyu Hinasaki, Kirie Himuro, Theory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users