Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
AnimalLover4... : (29 August 2017 - 09:39 PM) How about you?
Kouta Koikawa : (05 September 2017 - 01:26 PM) I remember how this forum used to be active. That was many years ago. We need a new game to make the forum active again.
yamibito : (08 September 2017 - 11:29 AM) How about Fatal Frame Card Game?
yamibito : (08 September 2017 - 11:35 AM) Couldn't find anything about it here
yamibito : (08 September 2017 - 11:36 AM) But it exist, quite long
yamibito : (08 September 2017 - 11:36 AM) http://www.fourhman.com/fatalframe/
Eisenalex : (08 September 2017 - 09:05 PM) That card game looks so cool!
Rezz : (08 September 2017 - 09:46 PM) I c u, 2017 exchange
Eisenalex : (08 September 2017 - 10:11 PM) when do the exchanges usually start?
midwinter : (09 September 2017 - 02:28 PM) It varies, but usually around November
midwinter : (09 September 2017 - 02:28 PM) Last year started very late because I wasn't planning to run it but then changed my mind
midwinter : (09 September 2017 - 02:36 PM) Maybe will be earlier this year :3c
midwinter : (09 September 2017 - 02:52 PM) (To be clear, I didn't set up the forum this time, I'm assuming Hex did. So thank you, Hex!)
Eisenalex : (11 September 2017 - 10:39 PM) There's a Nintendo Direct coming.
Eisenalex : (11 September 2017 - 10:39 PM) I'm not holding my breath for it but a teaser for a new FF would be nice.
midwinter : (12 September 2017 - 08:39 PM) It would
midwinter : (12 September 2017 - 08:39 PM) It's happening pretty late at night here, so I doubt I'll stay up and watch it, but I'd be happy to wake up to news
Eisenalex : (13 September 2017 - 08:54 AM) Same for me. At least KT once stated that they have a little something in the works for the Switch and I doubt it'll only be FE: Warriors.
Eisenalex : (13 September 2017 - 10:57 PM) Now that was kinda disappointing. Didn't expect Doom and Wolfenstein. As expected, no FF news, unfortunately. I'm surprised that we didn't get a Smash 4 port announced or any news on Travis Strikes Back.
GreekShadow : (24 September 2017 - 01:19 PM) Did I loose something?Or TGS was too poor this year?Almost nothing new was announced for anything?

Photo
- - - - -

Glancing past ghosts

Fandom Opinion Gameplay

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Lighthouse Climber

• Haori Inspector
  • 753 posts
  • LocationZero Stage

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:31 PM

Oddly enough, I can't imagine Fatal Frame without a Glancing mechanic now, even though it's only been in one game, but what if it was always there?  What ghost deaths would you most have liked to see, what do you think they would look like?  

I think Yoshitatsu's could be really disturbing, showing his living, possessed daughter overpowering him and throttling him like she did her sister, the Azami doll silently watching from the shadows...

Stroller Grandma would be another pick, as it would just have to be suitably morbid.  There's a lot of ghosts I would just love to know more about though, especially Kureha.

• Yashuu and AnimalLover47999 like this

#2 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:10 PM

Ooh, good topic. This is fun to imagine. I'd definitely like them for the characters where there's some mystery or debate about how exactly they died, like Kyouka, Hisame, Ryokan, Sakuya, Shigeto, Shoji Katagiri, Chitose, Ayako, maybe Madoka. Ayako especially would be great, because I'd love to get more hints about whether she really is the last survivor or not. Although FF5-style glancing doesn't necessarily show the actual death scene, so it's possible it might not resolve much.

I'd also love one for Kageri Sendou! I bet her final walk with Watashi could have the kind of peaceful+disturbing vibe they like to go for. And Kureha would be brilliant as well. Just to see what she was like when she was alive.

I know what you mean about finding it hard to imagine the series without it. I think the idea has always been there for the important ghosts, at least - there's always a big build-up to seeing that vision of what happened to them and the ensuing disaster, so the form it took in FF5 just feels like expanding something that already fit in well, rather than pushing an idea in where it doesn't belong. I hope it's something they keep in future, though I'd like a full-length ghost list too. :P

ETA: Ooh, and Long Arms! Just to finally get some clues about what was going on there.

#3 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

Vampire Slayer in Training

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationSunnydale

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:46 AM

I actually liked it and kinda hope thy keep it but isn't it a power or ability exclusive to the FF5's protagonists or can just anybody have it?

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

#4 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:17 AM

Well, technically I think they said that only psychic women from Mt. Hikami can do it, but the main characters have been having visions of the ghosts' death scenes since FF1, even if not as a ritualised practice. And even in FF5 they completely handwave the fact that Ren can do it. So they could probably bring it back without contradicting themselves too much. When you think about it as a religious practice, it's really just a method of transferring impurity/sin/regret etc to a substitutionary figure, which is a well-established thing in both Shinto and Fatal Frame, and FF games are all about the main characters taking on a burden that isn't really theirs to absolve the sins of the past, so it's not out of place.

• Yashuu likes this

#5 OFFLINE   Yashuu

Yashuu

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 309 posts
  • LocationNaked under a haori

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:14 PM

I'd love for them to keep the glance mechanic going, it's probably my favourite part of FF5. As for past ghosts, I'd love to see what happened to a lot of the less prominent ghosts in FF1- seeing how the hell-gate ghosts died would be a neat diversion from the central plot, witnessing Wandering Monk's death would be very enjoyable, maybe we could find out why Bound Man is bound etc.

ZR9JeXg.gif
i will jiggle into your soul

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fandom, Opinion, Gameplay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users