Anyone trying to register a new account:

The forums are currently being targeted by spambots, so new registrations will have to be manually approved by an admin. I'll try to check the list at least once a day, but if you want to be approved more quickly, or if you've been falsely marked as a spammer, please message elwing.alcyone at Gmail.

- midwinter

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
GregZerO : (04 March 2019 - 11:10 PM) amano's new song doesn't sound bad
GregZerO : (04 March 2019 - 11:14 PM) and the video is like a fan singing koe or something lel
midwinter : (05 March 2019 - 02:24 PM) ooh, i like it
midwinter : (05 March 2019 - 02:25 PM) it sounds more like her old stuff
GregZerO : (05 March 2019 - 08:19 PM) indeed,I hope someone will upload the full version soon
GregZerO : (05 March 2019 - 08:20 PM) mid how are ur japanese going?
Tigermausbaer : (20 March 2019 - 10:22 AM) Hello everyone! :)
Rheo : (14 April 2019 - 10:10 AM) Hi!
Rui Kurosawa : (20 April 2019 - 01:50 AM) Hi!
TheJake : (31 May 2019 - 09:27 PM) In FF4, are spirit points only used for the shop?  It seems like you just need these crystals for upgrades, but I'm not 100% sure. :P
Kicksville : (02 June 2019 - 01:29 PM) The save point shop and the post-game shop after you're done (for costumes and such)
suprimeking : (24 June 2019 - 12:40 PM) anyone here
suprimeking : (10 July 2019 - 11:11 AM) discord is acting up on me again
Gbarchetta : (28 July 2019 - 06:20 PM) Urgh, I want a new entry in the series :(
Jamie : (28 July 2019 - 07:29 PM) Same here :C
Meital : (29 February 2020 - 08:45 PM) GabSmolders is having Fatal Frame marathon on Twitch! Just FYI if you're interested watching someone play FF :)
Rheo : (23 April 2020 - 10:38 AM) Been so long
ItsukiFace : (28 May 2020 - 06:21 PM) You better run.
ItsukiFace : (28 May 2020 - 08:46 PM) I'd rather be dry, but at least I'm alive.
thomas06 : (25 July 2020 - 10:32 PM) Hey Guys!

Photo
- - - - -

Reincarnation theories

Fatal Frame Series Theory

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:33 PM

It's a topic that keeps coming up for different characters, so here's a thread to talk about it. Do you have any favourite/least favourite reincarnation theories? Or do you hate the lot of them?

For me, I'm not a big fan of them, especially when they depend on characters being reincarnated while they're still ghosts trapped somewhere. So I don't really like the idea that Mio and Mayu are reincarnations of Yae and Sae, or that Rui is a reincarnation of Ouse, for example.

I think for a lot of the guys' stories they make more sense, like Mafuyu = Kirie's Lover, Kei = Akito, Ren = Asou, because in those cases there's the strong physical resemblance as well, but it's not like they're the only characters whose stories revolve around completing someone else's unfinished business. So even if I think it's plausible, I think Mafuyu's the only one where I'd consider it an important part of his character if true.

My favourite crack theory by which I mean the one I came up with is that Ren and Rui are reincarnations of Kunihiko Asou and Seijiro Makabe. It makes sense, I tell you!

#2 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 715 posts
  • LocationIn a nest made of the Kusabi's hair.

Posted 27 March 2016 - 01:41 AM

I'm not a fan of them either because I like to think that once the spirits move on from Earth they can live in peace and happiness without having to be dragged back down to go through a life that may or may not be happy for them this time around.  Although apparently the type of reincarnation that has Mio and Mayu being ones of Sae and Yae is actually a real life interpretation of how reincarnation could work by the soul having several different consciousness' to them thus allowing someone to be two different people both living or dead at the same time.  There's also the one that The Legend of Zelda likes using where (barring two instances in one game where it is the usual interpretation) it's not someones' individual soul that is reincarnated but their very essence that is.  Like say the heroic and good natured essence of Link is reincarnated into the next Link born into the world, but the previous Link is not brought back from Heaven/The Afterlife.  Either way I'm not a fan of reincarnation in general unless it is done like The Legend of Zelda one above or it has a very relevant purpose and reason for having a character given another life on Earth.

I'd say even Mafuyu wouldn't really qualify as the standard reincarnation interpretation because of Kirie's lover both being in the main game proper in the form of a spirit that is unable to move on (that spirit list entry in the abyss on the final night) but also because of the photo ending where he stays in Mafuyu's place and Mafuyu keeps living on.  But I completely agree that the male characters feel like much less how in the world did that theory come about than with Mio and Mayu.

But yeah, not fond of them because I like resolution and closure for characters.  Especially in this series after 5's interpretation of Miku was shown.

#3 OFFLINE   suprimeking

suprimeking

Suprime Hipster

• Spirited Aways
  • 77 posts
  • Locationhell

Posted 04 April 2016 - 04:07 PM

seeing how this is a series with ghosts and gateways to hell it wouldn't surprise me if these reincarnation theories held some truth to them 

• midwinter likes this

you brought this upon yourself mortal now you learn the way of darkness 

#4 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 822 posts
  • LocationThe white sands of limbo

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:13 PM

My favourite crack theory by which I mean the one I came up with is that Ren and Rui are reincarnations of Kunihiko Asou and Seijiro Makabe. It makes sense, I tell you!

Duuude, what if Hisoka and Yuuri are instead?  If you compare Yuuri and Ouse, the latter wanted to live with Kunihiko, and Hisoka is the living option for Yuuri as well.  She lends her the camera she owns to use for the whole game, which can end with Yuuri being spirited away.  Kunihiko's scared of being alone without his friends, which is Hisoka's fear, and Yuuri quotes some folklore in (I think?) the final chapter.  

Where is my tinfoil?   :zca rei:

• midwinter and suprimeking like this

#5 OFFLINE   suprimeking

suprimeking

Suprime Hipster

• Spirited Aways
  • 77 posts
  • Locationhell

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:54 AM

hex mid these theories you have sound fun :3 

you brought this upon yourself mortal now you learn the way of darkness 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame Series, Theory