Signups for the 2017 Christmas Exchange are open! Come and join us for spooky festive gifts!

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
GreekShadow : (04 December 2017 - 08:32 PM) why does that guy has only so little views
midwinter : (04 December 2017 - 10:26 PM) ohhh, thank you! i'll have to watch it tomorrow now, but i'm looking forward to it
Hex : (05 December 2017 - 03:36 PM) He deserves a lot more
Hex : (05 December 2017 - 04:01 PM) Whenever I see Mafuyu say the broken staircase has nothing to do Takamine, I imagine him skidding down it on a sled with Koji and Tomoe.
Hex : (05 December 2017 - 04:02 PM) Novelists just wanna have fun
Hex : (06 December 2017 - 12:08 PM) Did anyone else not notice the pillars in the Demon Mouth have figures cared into them?  https://s7.postimg.o...3f/IMG_2417.jpg
midwinter : (06 December 2017 - 02:19 PM) oooh, no, that's cool
GreekShadow : (06 December 2017 - 11:58 PM) Lets all agree that in Forbidden Siren 2 ALL the missions with the 2 apartment buildings are the worst
Hex : (07 December 2017 - 12:07 AM) But don't you just love it when everything looks the same?   :chisab:
GreekShadow : (08 December 2017 - 05:34 PM) ;_;
GreekShadow : (08 December 2017 - 07:50 PM) There are chances a new Tenchu has been teased by From Software,if its indeed Tenchu i ll die ,its been 10 years ;_;
Rezz : (09 December 2017 - 12:44 AM) From Software needs to make me another Armored Core
midwinter : (09 December 2017 - 01:48 PM) And where's my Kuon sequel while we're at it
Rheo : (09 December 2017 - 06:39 PM) i thought the name of that game is actually Shadows Die Twice. lol
Hex : (17 December 2017 - 01:59 PM) Phew, we're back.
midwinter : (17 December 2017 - 02:00 PM) \o/
midwinter : (17 December 2017 - 02:00 PM) thank you, Emi! <3
Hex : (17 December 2017 - 02:10 PM) Thank you!
AnimalLover4... : (17 December 2017 - 11:48 PM) Okay, I wasn't the only one not allowed in.
AnimalLover4... : (17 December 2017 - 11:48 PM) Thank you for fixing it Emi.

Photo

Kirika Reizen and the shrine maiden

Fatal Frame V Kirika Reizen Nuregarasu no Miko Speculation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:14 PM

I was wondering what everyone made of that little scene in the final chapter, where you see Kirika Reizen's suicide and then the shrine maiden picks up her knife and kills herself too. I thought it was quite a strange scene, and the mitori you get from the shrine maiden doesn't really explain it, and in the spirit list that mitori scene is attached to... Honoka, I think it is? And she's supposed to have been killed by Kyozo with all the others; there's no mention of her stabbing herself. So I'd guess the scene actually belongs to a different maiden. (Unless it's a vision of something Honoka wished to do, which would complicate things even more.)

One possibility I thought of was that the shrine maiden and Kirika were somehow connected to Haruka and Fuyuhi? At the same time as you're watching the scene, you can hear a voice saying, "She said we'd drown together. She said we'd end it together... didn't she?" And there is that instant when Fuyuhi's possessed by Kirika, and she sees the ghost of the maiden and mistakes it for Haruka. Perhaps Kirika and the maiden had a similar story, where they promised to die together, but the maiden was summoned to the mountain alone, and Kirika came looking for her?

I'd be interested to hear any other theories anybody had, though. It's a really weird thing to put in without explanation.

#2 OFFLINE   TomoChan

TomoChan

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 281 posts
  • LocationChamber of Thorns

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:36 AM

Yeah I wondered about this too! Kirika's mitori maiden was Honoka(according to the ghost list) ,but it makes no sense. Maybe it's just one of those things the creators just went eh with didn't think no one would've noticed. But that seems interesting that Kirika and Honoka maybe had a strong friendship (or love maybe) and Honoka was called to the mountain and Kirika followed her there and could no longer live without her. And Honoka wished she could've died along with Kirika but due to her duties she couldn't. But what makes another no sense is Honoka was a trainee maiden,she couldn't mitori with her eyes yet only by touch correct? But the maiden that over saw Kirika's suicide wore a veil. And Honoka was wearing what I guess a maiden in training headpiece and her hair in a pony tail. Also during Kyozo's death mitori scene,when he falls and stares at one of the maidens' eyes the one staring at him is Honoka?? and her eyes aren't cut either!

• midwinter likes this

a80Suw0.png

#3 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:08 PM

But what makes another no sense is Honoka was a trainee maiden,she couldn't mitori with her eyes yet only by touch correct? But the maiden that over saw Kirika's suicide wore a veil. And Honoka was wearing what I guess a maiden in training headpiece and her hair in a pony tail. Also during Kyozo's death mitori scene,when he falls and stares at one of the maidens' eyes the one staring at him is Honoka?? and her eyes aren't cut either!

That's true! I'd forgotten you see Honoka with her eyes intact in Kyozo's death scene. Honoka's ghost design still has her eyes as well. Maybe her gaze wasn't powerful enough to make Kyozo want to blind her...

Developers, couldn't you just have made up three simple stories and kept them straight for each shrine maiden instead of confusing me this way?  :icon_femalehead:

One kind of bizarre theory I had was that maybe Honoka wasn't the maiden in the Kirika scene, maybe that was something she witnessed while she was in training? And during that section of the Last Drop, while Yuuri's wandering around the forest Glancing lots of different ghosts, she's taking Honoka's place as the last trainee, and all the shrine maidens who've returned to the water are trying to show her what it means to be a maiden. That mitori scene does have a somewhat educational voiceover about souls dissolving and so forth. And the way that maiden catches Kirika in her arms in the cutscene, and the double-suicide scene, sort of plant the idea that even a shrine maiden can have a "proper" and not-boxed death under the right circumstances, which is what Ouse wants Yuuri to do with her.

• Hex likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 783 posts
  • LocationThe white sands of limbo

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:02 PM

I may have a crack theory, originally building off something for the reincarnation topic, but I'll post it here.

The cycle of death and rebirth from the mountain's water is a huge part of Mt. Hikami's religion, particularly the emphasis on a "proper" death, which made me wonder why dying properly was so important, other than potentially creating a ghost.  I came to the idea that if the cycle were to break, a "ripple" of that person's soul would be created; not a reincarnation, but someone spiritually linked to their previous life and its fate, being enough of their own person to make the decision to walk the same path (dying improperly) or correct it, allowing the cycle to complete.

Looking at known or suspected reincarnations does point to their original having died without closure in some way, like Kirie's Lover and Mafuyu, Akito and Kei, etc.  The doubles also essentially correct what went wrong the first time.  This ties into some observations I made while playing 5.  During Chapter 13, after defeating Hiromichi in Yuuri's room, you can hear the sound of Haruka and Fuyuhi's song faintly in the background.  The entire shop is empty, prompting you to examine the feed.  The only ghost activity you can find is Kirika standing in the courtyard, which for some reason I associated with the song.  Then a eureka moment.

I think Fuyuhi and Haruka are linked to the fates of Kirika Reizen and the shrine maiden, who are possibly their past selves.  Perhaps similarly sharing romantic feelings, Kirika and the maiden were unable to be together due to the latter's duties on the mountain.  For reasons I'll explain in a minute, I think the maiden was a Hakome, one of the weaker maidens who could only glance so much before being sealed, alone, in the caverns.  Unable to live together or end it as partners in Ghost Marriage, Kirika chose to glanced by the one she loved, hoping that they would be together in the next life someday. 

My headcanon about the song is that, like the Shadow Festival in the Minakami area, or the varying versions of the lullaby in 3, it was originally a song in the Mikomori region for lovers that was passed down and altered, losing most of its original meaning until it was sung by Fuyuhi and Haruka in their time, though originally sung by Kirika (one of the game notes does mention someone hearing a sound like a song, which couldn't have been F or H as it was seemingly written before they came to or died on the mountain).

Regarding those two, what happened with Chiaki and the group suicide set Haruka back into her role as a Hakome; taking in the deaths of her friends made her stronger, qualifying her for a reliquary.  However, her heart wasn't full yet.  I think while back on the mountain, possessed into acting as a maiden, Haruka summoned Fuyuhi, glancing her from afar as she reenacted their deaths, and later was successfully submerged.  The illusion wasn't fake.

The explanation that the deaths were originally witnessed by Honoka, who is fulfilled by Yuuri in the present, is awesome and the last bit of the puzzle.  

• midwinter and Meital like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame V, Kirika Reizen, Nuregarasu no Miko, Speculation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users