Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
Butterflychaser : (12 April 2018 - 11:52 PM) :icon_hisame:
Butterflychaser : (12 April 2018 - 11:53 PM) I agree- I much prefer the pre 4 set out of the games, though it's probably nostalgia in my personal case
Butterflychaser : (12 April 2018 - 11:53 PM) Oh well, I'm just glad the series is still alive and this forum is too...kinda. It's nice coming here from time to time
PikaLink91 : (13 April 2018 - 07:27 AM) I had honestly hoped for a bit more activity, oh well, guess I am just late to the party...
Hex : (19 April 2018 - 08:04 PM) Will anyone be replaying 4 for its 10th anniversary in July?   :icon_ruka:
PikaLink91 : (19 April 2018 - 09:21 PM) I was actually thinking about replaying it tonight. Is my favorite afterall.
midwinter : (19 April 2018 - 09:54 PM) I'll definitely be doing that at some point - I still need to get proper quality costume images for the wiki
Butterflychaser : (22 April 2018 - 02:55 PM) I will be!
EternalSinger : (29 April 2018 - 06:54 PM) I will be! Much excitement.
GregZerO : (01 May 2018 - 08:09 AM) I finally ordered RE7 yesterday since it got a huge price drop and I'm looking forward to it!
Hex : (01 May 2018 - 10:08 AM) *excitement levels rise*  I hope you enjoy it!   :icon_tengai:
Hex : (01 May 2018 - 10:09 AM) Nice to see FF4 love too.  <3
GregZerO : (07 May 2018 - 09:52 PM) my first impressissions is that RE7 is great
GregZerO : (07 May 2018 - 09:54 PM) was afraid that it might feel a bit too much outlast
GregZerO : (07 May 2018 - 09:54 PM) (and i didnt enjoy outlast 2 at all)
GregZerO : (07 May 2018 - 09:55 PM) but its great,feels like i'm playng REmake/REZero
GregZerO : (07 May 2018 - 09:57 PM) i m pretty early in the game though, but i enjoy it a lot
Chou : (17 May 2018 - 04:14 PM) Speaking of FF4, I had to redo my patch for the translation for my Wii... And started it up from scratch. I think I had only made it halfway through before
Chou : (18 May 2018 - 02:10 PM) I can't believe it's been 10 years!  For the anniversary, do we want to start a thread for everyone wanting to play through and relive the nostalgia? (or play through the first time because i never completed it before, haha :x )
midwinter : (18 May 2018 - 04:39 PM) that would be a good idea!

Photo

Glitches - Angry Mask and Locked Doors

Fatal Frame Glitch

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   segment

segment

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:09 AM

So recently, I began a Fatal difficulty run on the Xbox version and stumbled on some bizarre behavior.

I'll describe it step-by-step, just in case any details might make it replicable.

On Night 2, I went to the Hidden Passage using the Angry Mask as usual, fought Blinded again and grabbed the Happy Mask from the Mask Room.  Went to the Buddha Room via the Square Garden and got the Reflection Mask after beating Munakata.  When I got back to the Mask Room, I realized that I had forgotten to take the Angry and Joyful Masks from the Hidden Pass, so after hanging the Sad and Happy Masks, I went back, grabbed the other two, and hung them in the Mask Room.  After getting the Blinding Mask and returning to the Hidden Pass, I saw that the Angry Mask was hung on the doorway to the Entrance.  I had to double-check that it wasn't the Reflection Mask.  It wasn't.  I went back to the Mask Room and saw that the Angry Mask had been moved.  In an effort to prevent any further state glitches, I returned the Angry Mask to its rightful place in the Mask Room, then proceeded with the game.

From here, everything seemed normal.  But then tonight...

During the Final Night, I noticed that all save points were deactivated (colored "red" and not "blue"), and the entrance to the well was also locked (sealed by some ghost's power, according to the message).  Because I can't enter the well, the game is effectively impossible to finish.  Replaying from a save point from late in Night 3 does not change the state of this.

I have no idea if these two mishaps are related, or if I could have even prevented it somehow through different actions during Night 2.  I do have a save from right before the initial glitch, but I'm hesitant to retry from that point if the Final Night is doomed to end in the same way.

I might need to restart this run, unfortunately.  :(
What a shame; I was so close to the end.  At least FF1 isn't all that long.

UPDATE:

I tried restarting from Night 2, right before entering the Demon Mouth for the first time.  It wasn't long before I encountered another anomaly: after I finished the "Kagome Kagome" puzzle, the wall scroll disappeared from the Doll Room.  I think it's safe to say that the state of the game was wrecked before the Mask Room incident. (Nevermind; the scroll was on the other side of the wall.  Egg on my face, I guess)  I'm just restarting this run completely. Let's hope that the next one stays clean.

UPDATE 2:

Just replayed from the beginning up to the Final Night again.  I encountered no noticeable glitches this time... until the Final Night, where the well was still locked and the save points inactive.  Either bad luck, or broken game file.  Unbelievable.

Well, I just couldn't let it go.  I kept playing around with my game anyways, and realized that the Final Night issue wasn't a glitch.  Fatal mode requires beating the extra, Xbox-exclusive armored ghost in order to proceed, and forbids additional game saves.  I never noticed this in my initial search.  I guess I'm gonna be the butt of jokes for awhile! :D

• Daz Hinasaki likes this

#2 OFFLINE   Chrysalis

Chrysalis

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 82 posts
  • LocationThrough the Looking Glass

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:35 PM

Haha, I played Fatal Mode for the first time this summer and just about flipped when I saw none of the saved points worked. I was thankful I didn't die, as I have a really bad habit of running in to Kirie when you have to pick up the mirror at the end.

This series really enjoys utilizing the "Walk of Shame" mentality. 

Such order in the midst of chaos makes me woozy and disoriented.

#3 OFFLINE   segment

segment

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:09 AM

Yes, the lack of save points certainly made the finale much more intense!  It makes me wonder if they should have done that for all difficulty levels; after all, the final night is quite brief.

But now that I think about it, the sudden unmentioned changes at the end of Fatal mode seem to constitute an instance of the game breaking its own rules (save points only disabled in presence of ghosts, and ghosts locking doors only in the same room as the ghost).

Oh well.  At least you didn't get killed by the Wandering Man and Floating Woman on the way through the Hell Bridge.  <_<

I should also note that it was during this run that I was finally killed during the Kirie chase scene at the beginning of the level.  I ran down the stairs and attempted to enter the Buddha room to grab the extra documents hidden there, and neglected to notice that the prison exit on the second floor is directly above the Buddha room (which should have been obvious, considering that Miku has to walk above the Buddha room just prior to entering the prison), and was accosted by her while opening the door.  I didn't know that there was a game-over cutscene for failing that part!  Nice touch!

#4 OFFLINE   Chrysalis

Chrysalis

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 82 posts
  • LocationThrough the Looking Glass

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:15 PM

Yes, the lack of save points certainly made the finale much more intense!  It makes me wonder if they should have done that for all difficulty levels; after all, the final night is quite brief.

But now that I think about it, the sudden unmentioned changes at the end of Fatal mode seem to constitute an instance of the game breaking its own rules (save points only disabled in presence of ghosts, and ghosts locking doors only in the same room as the ghost).

Oh well.  At least you didn't get killed by the Wandering Man and Floating Woman on the way through the Hell Bridge.  <_<

I should also note that it was during this run that I was finally killed during the Kirie chase scene at the beginning of the level.  I ran down the stairs and attempted to enter the Buddha room to grab the extra documents hidden there, and neglected to notice that the prison exit on the second floor is directly above the Buddha room (which should have been obvious, considering that Miku has to walk above the Buddha room just prior to entering the prison), and was accosted by her while opening the door.  I didn't know that there was a game-over cutscene for failing that part!  Nice touch!

I died there when I was replaying the Final Chapter on Fatal Mode for my cousin. *shakes fist at Floating Woman*

I didn't realize there was a cutscene for that part. Now I need to go check it out :o

Such order in the midst of chaos makes me woozy and disoriented.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame, Glitch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users