Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
midwinter : (12 October 2017 - 12:37 PM) Maybe Spirit Camera since I don't replay that very often...
GreekShadow : (12 October 2017 - 02:45 PM) I might replay FF3.Not sure if I should start a brand new playthrough or one with my unlockes though hmmm.I have years to play FF3 ;_;
Hex : (12 October 2017 - 02:57 PM) Just think: yukatas.   :icon_ff3miku1:
Hex : (12 October 2017 - 02:57 PM) (Why Rei doesn't have a blue one will forever be a mystery)
asagi : (12 October 2017 - 04:37 PM) I want to replay the games but mom threw the ps3 out of the window :zca rei:
Eisenalex : (12 October 2017 - 11:16 PM) Why would she do that?
Eisenalex : (14 October 2017 - 11:30 AM) I just learned that there's apparently a manga based on Siren made by Junji Ito.
Hex : (15 October 2017 - 01:11 PM) If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's unsurprisingly pretty gross.
Eisenalex : (15 October 2017 - 02:20 PM) It's Junji Ito. Of course it gets either super weird or gross, lol.
NightmarePic... : (15 October 2017 - 03:15 PM) And me being curious I had to look it up. Yup definitely gross XD
Eisenalex : (15 October 2017 - 05:17 PM) Did you think it was that bad? I enjoy Ito's stuff a lot.
NightmarePic... : (15 October 2017 - 05:32 PM) Meh.. It wasn't all that bad. Just more unsettling than "gross". Those weird worm girls or whatever are way worse *cringes*
Eisenalex : (15 October 2017 - 05:41 PM) I'm not sure what you mean by "worm girls". He did a couple of slug-transformations, though.
NightmarePic... : (16 October 2017 - 11:02 PM) That was it.. yup lol
Hex : (17 October 2017 - 05:33 PM) My new washing machine makes jingles whenever it's finished like an ice cream van.
NightmarePic... : (17 October 2017 - 06:12 PM) I... don't think that's good Hex.. You might want to check what's in there other than clothes lol
Kouta Koikawa : (17 October 2017 - 06:28 PM) Maybe they come with entertaining sound effects these days.
midwinter : (17 October 2017 - 07:15 PM) A lot of the new ones are supposed to chime to let you know when the cycle is done
midwinter : (17 October 2017 - 07:16 PM) Mine does, at least
Eisenalex : (17 October 2017 - 09:59 PM) The future is now.

Photo

Favourite drop

Fatal Frame V Opinion

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Lighthouse Climber

• Haori Inspector
  • 758 posts
  • LocationZero Stage

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:05 PM

Does anyone have a favourite or least favourite drop?  Was it because of the objective, locations explored or ghosts?  Did you have a preferred playable character? 

#2 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:00 PM

Favourite is between Second Drop and Final Drop. As I've said, I think the Unfathomable Forest is the best location in the game, and those two chapters have so much to discover if you stray from the predetermined trail and explore. The astronomical encounter rate in the Final Drop does make it less enjoyable, but it's almost worth it to have near-total freedom to go wherever you like.

Least favourite, to nobody's surprise, is the Sixth Drop. If there'd just been more notes and folklore and ghost appearances that weren't fights, I think I would have liked it, but after you've played it through once it just feels like a boring slog, with some of the most criminally wasted locations in the whole game. The Shrine of the Ephemeral is really pretty, and supposedly really important, and yet it doesn't seem like anything much happened there. There's no emotional hook to make me feel attached to the place. Same with the tunnel and the cable car stations - so awesome in theory, but in practice, they're just a nice-looking backdrop for fighting the same random ghosts over and over, and by that point in the chapter I just want it to end already.

I think my favourite character to play as is Yuuri. I always seem to end up liking to play as the main character; I enjoy Rei and Ruka more as well. I do like Ren's camera and the special 4-shot combo ability, but moving around as Ren feels way more awkward for some reason. He has an especially jerky turning motion, I think? Yuuri feels most natural and balanced.

• GreekShadow and Yashuu like this

#3 OFFLINE   TomoChan

TomoChan

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 274 posts
  • LocationChamber of Thorns

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:09 PM

My favorites would have to be,between the second,and the seventh. I love the second one because you finally get to go into the mountain,and of course the creepy awesome scene of Fuyuhi's ghost coming in on you from behind. The seventh one cause you get to go into a cementery (haha) and meet the infamous Tall Lady. (sencho!)

My least favorite: hmmm....Probably 10. I hate if you go into the Flamekeepers house and go into that little bitty area and they always,throw fireballs at me through the walls. :c and the fact that when I was playing on Nightmare,I encountered the slit throat ghost (Kirika) and her fatal moments were so quick I used all my films. Had to chain shot her for (what felt like) hours with that crappy grey film.

Edited by TomoChan, 04 December 2015 - 04:22 AM.

a80Suw0.png

#4 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

Vampire Slayer in Training

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationSunnydale

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:39 PM

I really like  Drops 2, 6, and 11. Drop 2 had me in a moment that I cant really explain that well. I liked going around the mountain for the first time. Drop 6 was nice going around the shrine even though the encounter rate was very high for me at the time until I learned how to avoid them later on and then there we have mai waifu Miu.... Drop 11 I think it was you play as Miu looking for Miku, the ending was satisfying for me because the game rewards you with a current gen Miku and I was pretty much in love again with her. The amazing detail they did on her was beautiful. 

I like playing as both Yuri and Miu. Even though Miu uses Yuri's camera unlike Ren. Speaking of Ren I dont really like playing as Ren all that much. Whenever I have to babysit Rui I just wish they didn't made her because she never seems to shut up whenever shes around. 

If you were to ask what Drops are my least favorite I would have to say anything with Ren looking after everyone while they sleep. The game puts you in very tight situations with ghosts (sometimes more than 1) in a very small room that you could barely move around in. I rather play the babysitting Drops than these. Haruka and then later on TWO Box Men in a small room is just a bad idea because there isn't much room and Ren refuses to leave the room until all of the ghosts are gone.

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

#5 OFFLINE   Sweetいも

Sweetいも

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:49 PM

Can't remember the number off the top of my head, but my favorite was Ren security watch. I kept hearing this music in my head when I was running around so I had the giggle. It really was a fun chapter though.

Least favorite...To be honest, the final one. Not the boss it's self, but jesus, everything before it when it came to Yuuri. I mean they just pound you with all these ghosts and when I got to the end I was hanging on a hope and a prayer. I mean, it was like the kusabi cave on steroids. When I was going through that chapter purely for costumes sake I just made a run for it and begged for forgiveness. 

Edited by Sweetいも, 28 November 2015 - 07:51 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   Gbarchetta

Gbarchetta

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 34 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:24 PM

I really liked the chapter where you explore The Veiled House for the first time. And the chapter with all the security cameras was something very diffirent :D But I still haven't finished the game yet xP

#7 OFFLINE   Chuiga

Chuiga

Missing Person

• Spirited Aways
  • 59 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:18 PM

I really like that second security camera drop :D. I had goosebumps when I watched cameras and during that one time I was like "what is that noise? Please please I hope it's not coming behind me ;_;!" and then.. yeah.

And I liked that silent place where you follow Miku in last drop and end up to the beach. It is nice place even in earlier drops. Maybe because it is kind of peaceful place (I think there was just kids, granny and one man with a box when I played it).

I think it was fun to play as all characters. Ofc I liked how Yuuri's camera was so op and how drops with Ren were somehow a bit slower with pace (or atleast I think so, but It felt like there was not as much battles as Yuuri's drops).

I don't have least favorite drop, but I have to say I don't like fighting in small places. And I hate that one floating ghost in that big manor. She appeared before me like 7 times in 10 minutes u_u I hate her. And she sometimes just liked to troll me and vanished in middle of fight.

Edited by Chuiga, 29 November 2015 - 06:24 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Lighthouse Climber

• Haori Inspector
  • 758 posts
  • LocationZero Stage

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:22 PM

I might have to be boring and say the first drop.  It was really refreshing opening with two characters discussing the Netherworld and ghosts while handling the camera with some experience, and the visuals and setting of the abandoned inn, still scorched and flooded from the owner losing his mind, were really nice.  I don't know if it was intentional, but I liked the detail of Hisoka calling Yuuri back if she tries to walk away towards the bridge; I interpret it as Yuuri heading in the direction of the sunset, which Hisoka is unintentionally (or perhaps intentionally) drawing her back from.  

I think it was a nice call back to 3 as well, having a Kurosawa exploring old ruins with her assistant on a photography-related assignment.  

On the other hand, I do quite like parts of the sixth drop, though Shrine of the Ephemeral, I'm still disappointed in you.  My favourite locations are actually the modern ones, as they feel like they have some history and decay, as opposed to most of the genuinely ancient, and far too clean, locations.  I really like the look and atmosphere of places like mountain roads, train stations and streets in Japanese horror, like you can find in Ikenie no Yoru and Siren, so starting from the cable car and then taking an abrupt detour into the Hikami Tunnel (side note, how bad ass is Yuuri opening the cable car doors and just non-verbally saying "f-ck this, we're off"?  And Miu just trailing behind her.  <3) was awesome.  The notes on the eroding construction workers, hidden caves with unopenable boxes and Hiromichi locking you in at the last minute, pleading to take him with you?  Awwwesome.  Reverse mind-reading?  So good.

Least favourite drops definitely go to the bulk of Ren's CCTV chapters.  The gimmick is really shallow as you can't control the feed, just wait until the game shows you want it wants you to see.  It's just really repetitive and cramped.

• midwinter, GreekShadow and AnimalLover47999 like this

#9 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of Chuck Cunningham Syndrome.

• Spirited Aways
  • 675 posts
  • LocationThe Red Room.

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:19 AM

The second and final drops are my favorite because you are given several chances to go off the beaten path and in the second drop's case discover some hidden notes that make the forest all the more mystifying.  The final drop because you can go anywhere you want and everywhere you want.  After the whole game railroading you down a set linear path (despite the game being marketed as being more open than previous games) you are finally allowed to pretty much explore every location in the game (minus Keiji Watarai's house I think) and just get lost in this very beautiful and gorgeous mountainside and even see hidden Mitori's that are some of the best in the game (looking at Umbrella Woman's in particular) while also being able to just be in awe at how beautiful and realistic some of the water effects are in the game. 

The fact that even with this openness the game still isn't nearly open enough for what I was wanting for exploring a forest mountainside and the loading screens cutting them off shouldn't have been there with it being on the Wii U and the fact that most environments have nothing interesting or of value in them did put a damper on my enjoyment of exploration at the end but even without those it's definitely the most fun part of the game for me even with some of the locations being spammed with ghosts (Mikomori Hot Springs).

The first drop would have been up there as well if it hadn't have been for the forced tutorial you have to go through at the beginning each time.  I like the dialogue Hisoka gives you if you take long enough in it but being forced to go through a tutorial each time you play the beginning of the game in this type of game isn't fun for me at all.  Also on a more silly note, I was really upset that the Mikomori Hot Springs are very lacking in.....well actual hot springs.  I was hoping we'd at least get to see some gorgeous mountainside like resort location even if it had been made less pretty by decay and mountain-slides.  But the place looks like it never even had the baths put in at all so seeing steamy water is lost.  ;-;

My least favorite drops are anything that have to do with Miu being there.  Gameplay wise it's nothing substantially worse than anything else in the game but having to go through Miu's storyline is not something I want to ever go through again.

On a less bitter reason for least favorites I do not like Ren's CCTV chapters.  They are boring, have no variety or actual depth to them, and feel like filler as an excuse to give him more things to do by having all the other characters just fall asleep for pretty much no reason.  That and the trailers spoiled the one good part about it by showing Tall Woman staring through the camera.  Back on a more bitter reason any thing that forces me to go into Miu's room and hear Miku calling out for Mafuyu gives me less of an inclination to go back to it.

Edited by AnimalLover47999, 12 April 2016 - 04:21 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame V, Opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users