Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
Emi : (11 September 2018 - 08:53 PM) My goal is eventually to have the kitchen designed like a combination of food and chemistry.
midwinter : (11 September 2018 - 08:54 PM) Oooh, that sounds cool! I hope you find one. They're so iconic, I feel like someone must sell them...
midwinter : (11 September 2018 - 08:55 PM) That's such a creative idea
Emi : (11 September 2018 - 08:55 PM) Yes. A friend has a big antique sale they do every year, I feel like maybe that might be the place to find some great treasure.
Emi : (11 September 2018 - 08:57 PM) Thanks! I love your spooky aesthetic idea too!! It sounds amazing. :) BRB. Repentance is giving me glares.
Emi : (11 September 2018 - 08:59 PM) The essence of lemons in the chalice of ponies has been offered. :P The repentance has been calmed.
midwinter : (11 September 2018 - 09:02 PM) and there was much rejoicing
Emi : (11 September 2018 - 09:04 PM) :icon_twin:  :icon_twin:  :icon_twin:
Emi : (11 September 2018 - 09:34 PM) alright, gotta go storm prep. see you later~
midwinter : (11 September 2018 - 09:36 PM) good luck!
Gbarchetta : (12 September 2018 - 01:17 PM) My Shadow of the Tomb Raider copy just came in the mail. But I can only play this weekend :(
Chou : (12 September 2018 - 01:26 PM) Stay safe Emi!!!!
Chou : (12 September 2018 - 01:26 PM) And awwww how comes?
Cursed Lemon : (12 September 2018 - 10:08 PM) Hey Emi, be careful and be well!
midwinter : (14 September 2018 - 04:26 AM) The forums aren't exploding, so I'm guessing there was no FF in the Direct last night
midwinter : (14 September 2018 - 05:03 AM) New animal crossing, though!
GregZerO : (14 September 2018 - 09:55 AM) thank god I didnt watch it cause from what I read today  i would get way too bored
Chou : (17 September 2018 - 02:57 PM) Tokyo Game Show is this weekend... Here's to having a little bit of hope, again, since Nintedo Direct had nothing D:
GregZerO : (17 September 2018 - 06:50 PM) my hopes are not that high to be honest but I would love a decent announcement
GregZerO : (19 September 2018 - 07:14 PM) Soo announcements begin from  20 until 23?Do we know which day TecmoKoei announces stuff or its random.

Photo

Where would you rank the story?

Fatal Frame Maiden of Black Water Story

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 715 posts
  • LocationIn a nest made of the Kusabi's hair.

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:31 PM

So, how would those who have played or seen the entire game rank this game's story?  Is it a good story overall?  Do you think it lives up to the standards set by the previous entries in the series?  If so where would you put it in the series?  In the middle, front, or last?

If your opinion on the story is mixed what about the story do you like?  What do you think was well written and what do you think wasn't well written?

For me I think most of the characters are well written especially Yuuri and Hisoka.  Their friendship is beautiful and is my favorite thing about this game from a narrative perspective.  I also really like the endings especially the good one and the main antagonist is great.

Edited by AnimalLover47999, 06 November 2015 - 08:37 PM.

#2 OFFLINE   Eiko82

Eiko82

High School Student

• Spirited Aways
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:42 AM

I was just thinking about FF story rankings this morning. If I had to rank them, I'd rank them like this :

1. FF2 - Hands down, the best and most emotional story of all. The Crimson Butterfly ending will never fail to wow me. Even the secondary stories like Miyako/Masumi were well written and made you really care.

2. FF1 - A very close second. Like FF2, one of its strengths is that the ritual and the reason for its failure are very clearly explained.

3. FF5 - The characters are my main reason for putting this in the third spot. I actually liked the story for the most part e.g the theme of 'not wanting to die alone' and how the shrine maidens would take away your pain before you died. But it could've used some better development or trimming in certain areas. For example, I liked the idea of ghost marriage. But its execution in the game was pretty lousy. It's never explained to us why men would want to marry a ghost bride (seriously, who would sign up for that?) or how such marriages succeeded (as far as we can tell, it was very superficial) . It would've been helpful if we found at least some document stating its origins or telling us about a successful match.

4. FF3 - My biggest issue with this game is that it tried too hard to tie the first 3 games together. I don't mind minor connections between the games e.g. Asou's cameras, Yae in FF1 and FF2. But in FF3, it was just too much. It almost felt like watching someone's fanfic. The ritual of the Sleeping Manor should've been interesting without all the ties to FF1 and FF2. This is just my personal opinion but once a FF game ends, I have no desire to find out what happened next to Miku, Mio, Rei, etc.

5. FF4 - The story was a mess. I'm still confused as to what the ritual was suppose to be. It also didn't help that the characters had as much personality as a cardboard box. If it wasn't for their clothing, I wouldn't have been able to tell Ruka or Misaki apart.

kuontag.png

#3 OFFLINE   Kenshin 4

Kenshin 4

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 211 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:13 PM

1- FF2
2- FF3
3- FF5
4- FF4
5- FF1
6- Spirit Camera

But they all have a great story.

#4 OFFLINE   Sweetいも

Sweetいも

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 04:17 AM

1 - FF3

2 - FF2

3- FF5

4- FF1

5 - FF4/Spirit Camera

I love FF3. Like, that game is my go to. Don't ask me why, since there are problems with it, but I just love it. I love how they try to tie it in, I love the setting, and I'll never forget that feeling when the ghosts start to slowly trickle into the real world. I freakin' loved it from start to finish. Of course, I love FF2, but it's the game play that gets me. There's so much back tracking to the same places over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over...By the end of the game, i'm like, "can I tap the map and jsut be transported there, good grief."

I like FF5. But it doesn't click all the way for me. Couldn't explain why, but there feels like there's something missing. Don't get me wrong, I like it. I love the mountain and everything to do with it but...I don't know. Maybe it's the ending, maybe it's the characters, but something just doesn't click.

FF1 I've played the least. Love since it was the start, but don't go much beyond it. And I never really got into FF4. I played it because it's part of the series but I didn't care much about it besides that. It has some good parts (Like Watashi) but that wasn't enough to really keep me engaged throughout the game. I finished it because of a sense of purpose, not me really caring one way or the other. This might get me stoned, but I liked Spirit Camera more than FF4. And I like the Spirit camera was their experiment with holding the camera up before FF5 got developed. 

#5 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 822 posts
  • LocationThe white sands of limbo

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:52 PM

After revisiting it recently, I think 5's biggest problems with the story were the effort to salvage as much of what they liked from the several proposed concepts as they could without considering how things would work once combined, and the questionable suggestions from Nintendo.  As much as I would rank it rock bottom for the disjointed campaigns, the constant back and forth, the contrived ghost marriage plot (which is only really necessary for Ren), and the forced inclusions, it probably has the greatest potential of all the games so far.  I love the mountain, the shrine maidens, the theme of glimpsing someone's last moments and spirited aways.  Some of the best executed and poignant moments are in here, like the coffee scene, Miu alone with the shadows under the sun and Ouse's feelings following the rejection.  It still would rank at the bottom, but after sorting out how I feel about the stuff that's bad, there's a lot left that I really dig, probably more than I should.

tl;dr it's a problematic fave, don't look at me *brandishes hatchet*

In terms of preference though:

FF3

FF4

FF5

SC

FF1

FF2

• midwinter, AnimalLover47999 and Kenshin 4 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame, Maiden of Black Water, Story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users