Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
AnimalLover4... : (29 August 2017 - 09:39 PM) How about you?
Kouta Koikawa : (05 September 2017 - 01:26 PM) I remember how this forum used to be active. That was many years ago. We need a new game to make the forum active again.
yamibito : (08 September 2017 - 11:29 AM) How about Fatal Frame Card Game?
yamibito : (08 September 2017 - 11:35 AM) Couldn't find anything about it here
yamibito : (08 September 2017 - 11:36 AM) But it exist, quite long
yamibito : (08 September 2017 - 11:36 AM) http://www.fourhman.com/fatalframe/
Eisenalex : (08 September 2017 - 09:05 PM) That card game looks so cool!
Rezz : (08 September 2017 - 09:46 PM) I c u, 2017 exchange
Eisenalex : (08 September 2017 - 10:11 PM) when do the exchanges usually start?
midwinter : (09 September 2017 - 02:28 PM) It varies, but usually around November
midwinter : (09 September 2017 - 02:28 PM) Last year started very late because I wasn't planning to run it but then changed my mind
midwinter : (09 September 2017 - 02:36 PM) Maybe will be earlier this year :3c
midwinter : (09 September 2017 - 02:52 PM) (To be clear, I didn't set up the forum this time, I'm assuming Hex did. So thank you, Hex!)
Eisenalex : (11 September 2017 - 10:39 PM) There's a Nintendo Direct coming.
Eisenalex : (11 September 2017 - 10:39 PM) I'm not holding my breath for it but a teaser for a new FF would be nice.
midwinter : (12 September 2017 - 08:39 PM) It would
midwinter : (12 September 2017 - 08:39 PM) It's happening pretty late at night here, so I doubt I'll stay up and watch it, but I'd be happy to wake up to news
Eisenalex : (13 September 2017 - 08:54 AM) Same for me. At least KT once stated that they have a little something in the works for the Switch and I doubt it'll only be FE: Warriors.
Eisenalex : (13 September 2017 - 10:57 PM) Now that was kinda disappointing. Didn't expect Doom and Wolfenstein. As expected, no FF news, unfortunately. I'm surprised that we didn't get a Smash 4 port announced or any news on Travis Strikes Back.
GreekShadow : (24 September 2017 - 01:19 PM) Did I loose something?Or TGS was too poor this year?Almost nothing new was announced for anything?

Photo

Liveblog and review topic

Fatal Frame V Fandom Liveblog Review

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Lighthouse Climber

• Haori Inspector
  • 753 posts
  • LocationZero Stage

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:56 AM

As it's not everyday a new Fatal Frame comes out, would anyone feel up to liveblogging their experience?  It would work similar to our recent community replay where you can post observations/notes as you play, or if you'd prefer, a review once you've finished the game.  If anyone also plans to stream, record a Let's Play or a video walkthrough, please let me know and I'll update this post with links!  

Feel free to post whenever you're ready and most importantly, have fun!   :icon_tengai:

#2 OFFLINE   Roella

Roella

Unknown Victim

• Spirited Aways
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:43 AM

Hello guys.

I started playing the game the other day and I'm only at chapter seven. I've been taking my time with it, I liked reading the notes and all the files that I got.

I just have to get this out of the way, the atmosphere of the game is horrifying. However, the game itself didn't really scare me. The jump scares all were fantastic and scary but fighting the ghosts, especially the generic ghosts became a little bit repetitive and monotonous. However I still s**t bricks when I have to fight mikos. And the chase scene at the end of chapter six kept on edge the entire time. Also the shrine of Ephemeral "I think that's what it was called" was by far the scariest area in the game. Fighting the mikos is scary, but fighting the miko killer and the fire dudes was far more scary. The thing that is still bothering me is that I'm still not used to using the controller as the camera and instead I look at my tv when I'm fighting the ghosts. Overall and up to this point, I am thoroughly enjoyed and spooked, but I do have a teensy weensy little problem with chapter 7, the Japanese title for that chapter was "Ouse" and the English title is "Maiden of Black Water" I would've loved it if they kept the name Ouse in the title, but that's my own preference, cause it does bring back FF2 memories with chapter 7 called Sae. And I felt like it would be a nice synergy, but that's my off-topic little rant.
  • Hex likes this

#3 OFFLINE   sencho

sencho

Official Tall Lady

• Spirited Aways
  • 78 posts
  • LocationMt Hikami

Posted 24 October 2015 - 02:04 PM

Does this go here. I wonder if it does.

BUt.

SPOILERS IN THE SPOILER SECTION.

During the chapter/episode when you go to finally get Mom out of the box, and off the mountain I noticed something.

What i usually do in fatal frame is take pictures of any one else that happens to be with me
so I usually get all up in everyones faces with the camera and snap snap snap.

So it was Mikus turn, i just got her out of the box and was really really excited!
I took her picture, and she flinched physically. Not just turning her head away. She recoiled, looked away and looked sort of pained.
(which note; Rui did this too somewhat after being spirited away. before and a while after that chapter she no longer did that, so...maybe ghost influence??)

I took another picture of Miku to make sure that actually happened and then it dawned on me that Miku was fading the camera can affect her like a ghost now.

I felt bad and stopped taking pictures but kept thinking about that, and how she is/was technically gone the whole time.

when i do replay that chapter I'm going to take another look and take shitty pictures with my cell phone if I can manage it.

Also a note mentioned that Miku did not age at all once she entered the box and said that she looked more like she could be Mius sister, thats why she doesnt look as mature as she could.

Unrelated to that, I've unlocked the samus suit. Still no zelda outfit. 2/4 of Ren's endings. Both endings for Miu, and Yuuri. (including wearing kimono for different song ending.)
I haven't done ayanes chapter only because I dont wanna.

Although i've techinically beat the ending a few times now. I'm on my officialy second play through on a attempt at nightmare, and completing my ghost list. I'm not sure who i'm missing though!

I love this game so much. Even though I was completely spoiled and watched a playthrough every day. The dub is bearable for me, so that's great.
The controls are very awkward but oh well.

Yuuri is my favorite character...no I lied. Everyone is. Especially the Tall Woman.

I'm also really glad we got more insight on Asou's character. He seems like a strange silly man. And also a giant nerd.

If i can think of anything else during this next playthrough I'll edit this post or make another one?

• midwinter and Hex like this

#4 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:28 PM

Finished! Wooo! \o/

Now's the time when I wish I hadn't spoiled myself so ridiculously, because I'll never know what I would have thought of it if I'd discovered it all in one go rather than in bits and pieces over several months. I know if I could go back I'd do exactly the same, and will almost certainly continue to in future, so no point getting sad about it now. It's just hard to think of anything much to say here. This is going to be totally disjointed and rambling, sorry.

I did eventually get used to the controls! Mostly. It's never taken me this long with any other game. The first three games are so intuitive I hardly even had to think about it beyond remembering which button brings up the viewfinder, and this was much more difficult. I don't know why it should be that as the technology gets better and better this series gets more and more awkward, but it does seem to hold true. Regardless, I did end up enjoying myself, though it's going to be a long, long time before I attempt Nightmare Mode.

After being forcibly railroaded in the right direction throughout the game, the last chapter was a breath of fresh air. It was so fantastic to finally get to go down all the side roads I was curious about. I wish the whole game had been like that, actually - free exploration, with an ultimate goal in mind but the ability to choose your own itinerary and pick up interesting extras along the way.

All along I thought my favourite area would be one of the shrines, but I surprised myself by completely falling in love with the Unfathomable Forest. I never got bored of roaming around, getting lost, splashing through pools and seeing what ghosts were about.

Speaking of ghosts, though, I miss the proper spirit list so much. Glancing shows you what happened, but it doesn't really tell you why. I still can't make sense of what happened with Kyozo, for example. What's up with that maiden who glanced Kirika and then picked up the knife and stabbed herself? What's going on in Kazuya's head - we know he was scared to death of ghost marriage and didn't want to go through with it, but in his scene he looks really calm, and Keiji, who found the idea appealing, is the one who freaks out.

The Shipping Times (very important). I think the translators wanted me to ship Yuuri/Hisoka, and it worked, but I also like Yuuri/Ouse better than ever. Ren/Rui, on the other hand, took a nosedive. I think I said way back that I liked them, mostly based on the way they interact at the beginning of the game, but reading Rui's journals put me off a lot. The extreme martyrdom and clinginess, for one, and the way they took the ambiguity of the relationship and over the course of the game forced both characters into the most archetypal masculine/feminine and active/passive roles you can imagine. It seemed like they took the pre-existing power imbalance - Rui being so much younger, and being dependent on Ren for employment and a home - and rather than trying to de-emphasise it as the relationship becomes more romantic, they deliberately made it wider, by having Rui spend most of the game playing the vulnerable damsel in distress, waiting for him to find/rescue/choose her. I don't know, it just didn't sit right with me. Maybe if I pretend she was just 90% possessed through all that stuff, and after the game she'll go back to normal, but there's no escaping the fact that Ren didn't show any interest in her until she started acting that way.

(Why did they make such a big deal about the brides helplessly waiting for suitors and having no choice in the matter? Apart from the obvious reason. Is it trying to suggest that Ouse's real mistake was trying to exercise some agency in the matter and choose her own partner? Then why isn't it a problem when Shiragiku does it?)

Um. Moving on.

To my surprise I quite enjoyed Ayane's bits, or at least the first two chapters. Threads. Whatever. The sneaking worked okay in the forest area; it's just when you get to the Shrine of the Ephemeral, you can't avoid the fact that this game was designed to bring you into contact with ghosts as often and as awkwardly as possible. The narrow corridors with no way around are not designed for stealth, and in the end you just can't keep it up. I got a good laugh out of her ridiculous double-time trot in the final thread, though. I thought it was my game glitching at first.

Kyozo Kururugi really leaves an impression. I think two of my favourite mitori scenes are his and the Firekeepers'. They give him such a malevolent presence. In a way I suppose it's fitting that you never do find out what he wanted to keep a secret so badly, but he's such an evil person that I think it would have been satisfying if Yuuri or Miu had been able to discover it. I feel like he could have made an interesting boss, if the game had shifted some plot elements and changed a few others. They probably didn't want to change the tradition of having a sympathetic antagonist in opposition to the protagonist, but I feel like in this situation a genuine villain could actually have worked? I do think it's a pity that he was demoted to secondary character status - he absolutely could have been this game's Kusabi, this legendary, terrifying figure that every player dreads.

But that veers into the whole topic of whether this was even trying to be a horror game, and I don't think it was, not in the way that FF2 and FF3 did. Instead of massacres now we get eternally beautiful brides and peaceful suicides. The game does have a powerful atmosphere, maybe a slightly unsettling one at times, but that sense of menace just isn't there. I think they dug themselves a hole there - they worked their butts off to convince us that this is a good place to die, and in doing that they removed any sense that death on the mountain is a bad thing. It ends up feeling like a love letter to suicide with a "Just kidding!" postscript at the end.

This is getting a little meta. Overall I enjoyed it both more and less than I was expecting to - more in terms of the story (I've managed to sequester the whole Miku thing in a little reliquary in my head that will never be opened, I think) and less in terms of the gameplay. Now all that's left is the wiki! \o/

• GreekShadow, Hex and sencho like this

#5 OFFLINE   Daz Hinasaki

Daz Hinasaki

Missing Person

• Spirited Aways
  • 66 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:22 PM

I've been posting pictures and thoughts on the game on Twitter and miivrese. I'm still playing it and thinking of posting a review after I'm done. :)
It's raining again...

#6 OFFLINE   Sanguine Butcher

Sanguine Butcher

Unknown Victim

• Spirited Aways
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:41 AM

Finally got the game this morning, and I'm already finished with my first run. (granted, it's night now, lol)  I definitely enjoyed it quite a bit and like with all PZ titles, I won't put it down until I 100% it. I did have a few issues with it though: the plot felt kind of disjointed, too many boring random encounters if god forbid you get off the main path you're supposed to be following, and they could have given us more variety of ghosts and locations, tbh. But, what we did get with locations was fabulous; so much detail and beautiful atmosphere, and the existing ghosts are very well designed, imo. Gameplay took a bit of getting used to, but I had no major issues with it. (Camera handles wonderfully.) I think my biggest issue with the game was running back and forth to and from the mountain so many times, felt kind of silly. I feel like that could have been planned better, or at least had characters be productive and do research + prepare at their "base", not ...sleep. : / Also, I'm getting kind of tired of this trope of 'girl messes up something fierce because of feelings for a guy'. I was hoping we'd move past that by now, Kirie and Reika were more than enough.

• Chuiga and Daz Hinasaki like this

#7 OFFLINE   Daz Hinasaki

Daz Hinasaki

Missing Person

• Spirited Aways
  • 66 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:00 PM

Finally got the game this morning, and I'm already finished with my first run. (granted, it's night now, lol)  I definitely enjoyed it quite a bit and like with all PZ titles, I won't put it down until I 100% it. I did have a few issues with it though: the plot felt kind of disjointed, too many boring random encounters if god forbid you get off the main path you're supposed to be following, and they could have given us more variety of ghosts and locations, tbh. But, what we did get with locations was fabulous; so much detail and beautiful atmosphere, and the existing ghosts are very well designed, imo. Gameplay took a bit of getting used to, but I had no major issues with it. (Camera handles wonderfully.) I think my biggest issue with the game was running back and forth to and from the mountain so many times, felt kind of silly. I feel like that could have been planned better, or at least had characters be productive and do research + prepare at their "base", not ...sleep. : / Also, I'm getting kind of tired of this trope of 'girl messes up something fierce because of feelings for a guy'. I was hoping we'd move past that by now, Kirie and Reika were more than enough.

I totally agree with the random encounters. I didn't really think about it till I got to the 6th drop I think it was, when I kept getting attacked by shrine maidens. It god old fast. I do like that you can touch a ghost and see how they died, I thought that was a nice touch (no pun intended) lol the locations where very well done but what I liked about the early titles is that you feel trapped and helpless, but in this game they just go home to return to the mountain another night.
It's raining again...

#8 OFFLINE   FeraN

FeraN

Missing Person

• Spirited Aways
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:23 AM

Also, I'm getting kind of tired of this trope of 'girl messes up something fierce because of feelings for a guy'. I was hoping we'd move past that by now, Kirie and Reika were more than enough.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, and I don't know how the English translation handles it, but I'm under impression that the main reason why Ouse's ritual failed was not because of her feelings for Asou, but because of the massacre that was taking place at the same time, overflooding her with the pain and emotions of the killed maidens until she couldn't take it anymore, hence the ritual failed. Her feelings for Asou were only a part of that as cherry on top, she might have succeeded well enough had it not been for other dude going crazy and putting up a blood party at the same time.

But yes, they could have very well left Ouse's romantic feelings out, I feel that way too. Maybe next game won't have romantic feelings involved, considering the pattern of previous games. (1 had romance - 2 did not - 3 had romance - 4 did not - etc...) Better if they just could forget them completely for future or at least come up with a fresh take on it.

• Eiko82 likes this

#9 OFFLINE   Eiko82

Eiko82

High School Student

• Spirited Aways
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:43 PM

Now correct me if I'm wrong, and I don't know how the English translation handles it, but I'm under impression that the main reason why Ouse's ritual failed was not because of her feelings for Asou, but because of the massacre that was taking place at the same time, overflooding her with the pain and emotions of the killed maidens until she couldn't take it anymore, hence the ritual failed. Her feelings for Asou were only a part of that as cherry on top, she might have succeeded well enough had it not been for other dude going crazy and putting up a blood party at the same time.

That's how I've also interpreted the failure of the ritual. It was the massacre of the shrine maidens and priests that overwhelmed Ouse with emotions rather than her having feelings for Asou.

• Teen Bulma likes this

kuontag.png

#10 OFFLINE   Sanguine Butcher

Sanguine Butcher

Unknown Victim

• Spirited Aways
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:21 PM

Of course, the massacre was the trigger, but Asou was just shoved into Ouse's story unnecesserily. Totally unneded (and pretty shallow) romance plot, imo. 

And does the game feel easier compared to the old ones, to anyone else? On normal : I fully upgraded both cameras on one full run (just two lenses though), got 89% of the ghost list, and died once because I had no idea what to do when Ouse shoved me into a box, lol. And I walked into her a couple of times in earlier chapters, losing a mirror. The first game still maims me sometimes, and I still get lost in the second and third despite having played them both 10+ times. This installment feels much easier.

#11 OFFLINE   GreekShadow

GreekShadow

Jelly Bisquit

• Spirited Aways
  • 236 posts
  • LocationGreece/Athens

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:08 AM

So I finally finished the game tonight and I am here to share my thoughts about it!Let me start by saying that I was pretty prejudiced from everything that I've seen,heard and read so I knew were i was getting into.I don't know if you guys remember but from the first trailer,I had a bad feeling about this,and unfortunatly I can confirm by playing it myself that I was right.This doesn't mean that I didn' enjoy it,it had its momments,at the end of the day,it was a Fatal Frame game but most of what you will read here will be negative cause many things bothered me.I am really proud of my self that I managed to not get spoiled and almost everythng was new to me,so that really helped me expirience it.

First and formost,the game had decent graphics,sometimes it can be really pretty others its not but I dont really care about graphics so much.It had good looking hallways I guess but they were empty,I remember someone saying that its like no one lived there,and thats so true,everything was clean,empty,boring hallways that nothing really happened there.After some point of the game,I felt like I dont have to slowly take my time and check the enviroment agan n again because I knew that I wouldnt see any interesting detail.In FF4 for example even the celling is more interesting that most of FF5 rooms.I also felt that I ve seen everything before,the rooms,the ghosts everything was like a reharsh.Well there was the doll room,and a ghost could move dolls,okay.....there were some lantern rooms and had monks,there was falling woman.It didnt brought anything new to the table in terms of atmosphere and enviroments.The forest was decent I guess.Also I dont know whats wrong but the way everything looks feels....wrong,I cant understand how from FF4 artstyle they changed to this,most of it wasnt unsetting,scary,old but sharp,clean,and pretty.Dont get me wrong all FFs are pretty,but a diferrent kind of pretty,they were beautifully dark.

Even the way the character walked was discouraging you from taking ur time and exploring,it felt awkward most of the times,and the camera was in the wrong position when I was still looking around.The flashlight didnt aim where I wanted it to aim,it felt awkward.The whole way that the character was navigating the map didnt engourage me look around like FF4 & DCB for example,looking around just felt awkward for me and most of the times,there wasnt anything to look at.

Another problem that I had with the game was the pacing,it was just bad.Having most of the time the ''trace" to tell u were to go and not  random ghosts popping really destroyed the whole thing.I want to follow the ghost,see were it was,what it did,how it lived.They didnt even try to introduce u the enemies,in the previous games,u follow the ghosts,read about them,see what they did and after some time,when they have introduced them to you,at the right momment,u fight them.Here everything was just literally popping,like it was random.I felt that I didnt know anything for most of the ghosts I was fighting,and I didnt like that the game didnt take the time to introduce the enemies to me like it always did.

Chapter 6,9 & 13 were just bad.Finding the same ghosts again and again in the same enviroments again n again.They were like the only chapters in a FF game that I almost didnt enjoy at all.They were boring and repetive.I liked the "cameras in house" idea but it was excecuted badly if you ask me,it was more like "go check the pc->a ghost->go fight it" it felt so forced,I would prefer if it was a bit random.The whole "house/hub" was excecuted badly,there were no random things happening,u were just fighting hordes of the same boring ghosts again n again.I felt that there was a zombie attack or something,the whole "defend the house" thing was such a cheap way to make a chapter really,they could be part of mission modes.In FF3 we didnt fight even one ghost in Rei's house but it felt way more unsetting,scary and creepy than the antique.What a waste!

The ghost,I aleady mentioned it but come on,have a little creativity,I ve seen most of that stuff before,dolls,monks,falling women,maidens.Most of them looked too..uninteresting?Just random dead people.I liked some ideas that they had with the ghosts(like the one with the twisted body,Kazuya(?)) but they looked so awkward and roboty.Fighting the same ghosts every 2 minutes didnt help either.JUST GIVE ME THE TIME TO EXPLORE AND TAKE MY TIME.Sometimes ghosts appearing made me so angry,I just wanted to look around,come on!

I found the fghting system fun though,turning the gamepad to get all the things in the circle was fun,and I loved turning the gamepad right and left every time I was doing a Fatal Frame combo,it felt so satisfying and I found lock on useful for that reason.But the frame,wasnt that interesting like FF4's.For example in FF4 when u take a picture,its so visually satisfing with all the little details on the picture,the frame,the FF momment.In FF5 when i used the crush for example it was visually like a normal shot.

The story was interesting but I found it kind of disjoined and in complete.I liked the Asou part,the marriage Idea,the boxes,it was okay,but sometimes I didn't really get what was going on,i felt lost,when I compelted it I read the wiki(thanks mid) and everything was a lot clear.I just felt that it didnt do a really good work to explain me what was going on.FF4 had the same problem but after some replays,reading,and fantasy i managed to glue everything on my mind,so I guess that will happen in FF5 too.The Miku thing,honestly,I really tried to try to understand it,but like one of the first notes "I had a baby,but I didnt want to die alone" didnt really convince me.U JUST HAD A BABY,that baby shouldnt exist anyway,Miku should be drinking hot chocolate with Rei while it was rainning,that was her future.Also I didnt connect very much witht he characters,I dont know why,really.They were ok I guess.

I found the difficulty right,at least sometmes I didnt feel that could kill everything with 2 hits(like ffiv) and they managed to catch me kind a lot of times.I havent tried the ayane part yet but i bet that it will be bad anyway.

Random things that I like very much was Tall woman(ofcourse),the room with the wedding pictures(I stayed like 20 minutes in there),Ren's rapid camera effect,I think that chapter 10 was the one I enjoyed the most,not many fights,a nice abandonded building to explore,then the wedding house,learning some new interesting story stuff,I really enjoyed that chapter,Asou thing,the option to choose the ending,i was thinking about what to choose for like30 minutes,I really liked that I was debating in my head.The hanging trees,the random cute tent.Girl with white hair.

I got the good ending,it wasn;t anything special,it was okay,it could be better.

Overall my post is very negative I know that,but i enjoyed the game and I am looking forward to play it again,but I am just dissapointed,it felt incomplete,lazy to me.Like a souless Fatal Frame game.I hope that for FF6 they will take their time to make the atmosphere and the pacing right,my biggest dissapointments from this entry.

Edited by GreekShadow, 11 February 2016 - 01:21 AM.

• midwinter, Yashuu, Hex and 1 other like this

tumblr_mayvegYZYE1rnbk4so1_400.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame V, Fandom, Liveblog, Review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users