Anyone trying to register a new account:

The forums are currently being targeted by spambots, so new registrations will have to be manually approved by an admin. I'll try to check the list at least once a day, but if you want to be approved more quickly, or if you've been falsely marked as a spammer, please message elwing.alcyone at Gmail.

- midwinter

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
GregZerO : (04 March 2019 - 11:10 PM) amano's new song doesn't sound bad
GregZerO : (04 March 2019 - 11:14 PM) and the video is like a fan singing koe or something lel
midwinter : (05 March 2019 - 02:24 PM) ooh, i like it
midwinter : (05 March 2019 - 02:25 PM) it sounds more like her old stuff
GregZerO : (05 March 2019 - 08:19 PM) indeed,I hope someone will upload the full version soon
GregZerO : (05 March 2019 - 08:20 PM) mid how are ur japanese going?
Tigermausbaer : (20 March 2019 - 10:22 AM) Hello everyone! :)
Rheo : (14 April 2019 - 10:10 AM) Hi!
Rui Kurosawa : (20 April 2019 - 01:50 AM) Hi!
TheJake : (31 May 2019 - 09:27 PM) In FF4, are spirit points only used for the shop?  It seems like you just need these crystals for upgrades, but I'm not 100% sure. :P
Kicksville : (02 June 2019 - 01:29 PM) The save point shop and the post-game shop after you're done (for costumes and such)
suprimeking : (24 June 2019 - 12:40 PM) anyone here
suprimeking : (10 July 2019 - 11:11 AM) discord is acting up on me again
Gbarchetta : (28 July 2019 - 06:20 PM) Urgh, I want a new entry in the series :(
Jamie : (28 July 2019 - 07:29 PM) Same here :C
Meital : (29 February 2020 - 08:45 PM) GabSmolders is having Fatal Frame marathon on Twitch! Just FYI if you're interested watching someone play FF :)
Rheo : (23 April 2020 - 10:38 AM) Been so long
ItsukiFace : (28 May 2020 - 06:21 PM) You better run.
ItsukiFace : (28 May 2020 - 08:46 PM) I'd rather be dry, but at least I'm alive.
thomas06 : (25 July 2020 - 10:32 PM) Hey Guys!

Photo
- - - - -

How did they know?

Fatal Frame Series Rituals

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 715 posts
  • LocationIn a nest made of the Kusabi's hair.

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:44 PM

One thing the Fatal Frame series has consistently done is not explain how the villagers or priests know about the disasters that will happen and how they know how to appease them.  For example how does the Himuro Family know that sacrificing a maiden with zero attachments to the world in the specific way that they do would seal the gate for 10 years?  How do the Minakami villagers know that the elder twin sacrificing the younger twin would appease the abyss for 10 years?  How did they find these things out without the disasters happening while they were finding them out?

Does anyone have any ideas?

#2 OFFLINE   MacabrelleEnvy

MacabrelleEnvy

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 437 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques and Cafe

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:18 AM

I would say it's like any religion, where an apocalyptic event is "prophecy". When you look at older religions you see that sacrifice occurs as a last resort to trying to appease whatever god rules that region. The people of that area will try gifts and worship and whatever else until something seems to work (to bring a good harvest, stop a blight, etc). When that thing is found to work then they are more likely to use it again the next time they see signs that disaster is coming. Eventually it becomes a regular event, turning to festival or ceremony, as preventative measure rather than a reactive one. This is how holidays came about, beginning as simple worship and celebration of a certain god or time of the year. In the Fatal Frame series they focus on areas with more sinister results because they are locations where hell gates are present. What else do you expect a gate to hell to want? Sacrifices. Innocent, purified, virgin sacrifices.
  • midwinter, GregZerO, AnimalLover47999 and 1 other like this

#3 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:02 PM

Mostly bringing this back because I want to mention how good MacabrelleEnvy's post is! But also to add, apart from general human nature and seeking control over random events through religious rituals - since these are regions with genuine supernatural and spiritual stuff happening, you could also add things like dreams, visions, spirit apparitions and possessions to the sources of information.

Straying a bit from the topic now, but I do wonder if the form of the sacrifice is purely cosmetic and derived from local traditions, which would mean the rituals could be edited slightly and made to work in different locations, or if there's something intrinsic to those locations that demands a particular kind of ritual. In the case of FF2, at least, it seems like the Abyss wants a very specific sacrifice and causes an unusual number of twins to be born for the purpose, but at the same time it will accept a Kusabi on occasion. Maybe a pair of twins could perform the Crimson Sacrifice ritual in front of the Hell Gate to the same effect, or one of the Maidens of Black Water could be staked down in the Chamber of Thorns. It might make an interesting fic idea! I can't imagine the Kiraigou working well with any of the other settings, though, since the Kiraigou is meant to open the gateway and the others are all about keeping it sealed. Maybe that's why the Kiraigou is the only one that doesn't require a sacrifice...

• AnimalLover47999 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame Series, Rituals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users