Anyone trying to register a new account:

The forums are currently being targeted by spambots, so new registrations will have to be manually approved by an admin. I'll try to check the list at least once a day, but if you want to be approved more quickly, or if you've been falsely marked as a spammer, please message elwing.alcyone at Gmail.

- midwinter

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
midwinter : (24 January 2019 - 05:16 PM) i never would have thought of trying to edit it if you hadn't brought it up
GregZerO : (27 January 2019 - 02:24 AM) glad i did :P
GregZerO : (27 January 2019 - 02:42 AM) Also for some reason BCL according to my antivirus pc or something is not a secure page  :thinking:
GregZerO : (27 January 2019 - 02:42 AM) and its weird cause 99% of the pages on he internet are "secure"
GregZerO : (04 March 2019 - 11:10 PM) https://www.youtube....h?v=jDadONMsXjw
GregZerO : (04 March 2019 - 11:10 PM) amano's new song doesn't sound bad
GregZerO : (04 March 2019 - 11:14 PM) and the video is like a fan singing koe or something lel
midwinter : (05 March 2019 - 02:24 PM) ooh, i like it
midwinter : (05 March 2019 - 02:25 PM) it sounds more like her old stuff
GregZerO : (05 March 2019 - 08:19 PM) indeed,I hope someone will upload the full version soon
GregZerO : (05 March 2019 - 08:20 PM) mid how are ur japanese going?
Tigermausbaer : (20 March 2019 - 10:22 AM) Hello everyone! :)
Rheo : (14 April 2019 - 10:10 AM) Hi!
Rui Kurosawa : (20 April 2019 - 01:50 AM) Hi!
TheJake : (31 May 2019 - 09:27 PM) In FF4, are spirit points only used for the shop?  It seems like you just need these crystals for upgrades, but I'm not 100% sure. :P
Kicksville : (02 June 2019 - 01:29 PM) The save point shop and the post-game shop after you're done (for costumes and such)
suprimeking : (24 June 2019 - 12:40 PM) anyone here
suprimeking : (10 July 2019 - 11:11 AM) discord is acting up on me again
Gbarchetta : (28 July 2019 - 06:20 PM) Urgh, I want a new entry in the series :(
Jamie : (28 July 2019 - 07:29 PM) Same here :C

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Fatal Frame Series community replay

Fatal Frame Series

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,210 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:58 AM

For those keeping track, there are about six weeks to go until the release of FF5! How about we build up to it by going back to the beginning and experiencing the whole series again as a community? Starting on Monday, I propose we play a game a week (or watch a let's play, if that's your style) and come back here to post thoughts, reactions, gifs, video clips... whatever. I think it'll be nice to put aside arguments about localisation for a while and remember why we're all here in the first place. :icon_fusen:

It's going to be pretty informal. If you want to skip a game, or dip in and out of the thread as the mood takes you, that's fine. Don't feel like if you miss a week you can't join in with the next one!

• FF1 - 14-20 September
  • FF2 - 21-27 September
  • FF3 - 28 September-4 October
  • FF4 - 5-11 October
  • Spirit Camera & DCB - 12-18 October
  • Wrapping up - 19 October onwards

As you can see, I've put DCB and Spirit Camera in the same week, mostly because Spirit Camera's so short. The final days, covering the US release of FF5 on the 22nd and continuing until the European release on the 30th, will be for all the extra material. Catch up on the manga, watch the movie if you haven't already, read one of the novels - or all of them! Talk about fanworks, artists you like, ships you're into, doujinshi you own or wish you owned. Post photos of your collection. Show the fandom some love!

Who's in? :icon_tengai:

ETA 1: FF1 week has begun!

Zuhna will be doing a livestream - for details and updates, keep checking his post here. Otherwise, post at will!

• Yashuu, AnimalLover47999 and Sweetいも like this

#2 OFFLINE   Kenshin 4

Kenshin 4

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:40 AM

Great idea !

I am in !

I don't have a PS3 to play FF 1-3 but i have 4,5, DCB and SC.

I will try to use my brother's PS3 since I already had FF 1-3 on my account.

I hope more members notice this thread.

#3 OFFLINE   Yashuu

Yashuu

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 312 posts
  • LocationNaked under a haori

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:11 PM

Ah cool, I'll definitely do this! I've been finally catching up on the manga recently so I'm in the mood to play the games.

ZR9JeXg.gif
i will jiggle into your soul

#4 OFFLINE   Zuhna

Zuhna

Beardghost

• Spirited Aways
  • 65 posts
  • LocationIsland full of bananas

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:19 PM

I will probably do this as well. Little problems with FF2 as i have Xbox version but don't own Xbox or Xbox 360 but i will see if i can get past that.

zD527Ay.png

#5 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 715 posts
  • LocationIn a nest made of the Kusabi's hair.

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:35 PM

Sure thing.  I haven't played the games for a serious playthrough for a while so this is a perfect opportunity to.

#6 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

Lingering Shadow

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,158 posts
  • Location日上山

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:03 PM

Ha... play Wii Edition again after 100%ing it... twice... I think I'm good with Spirit Camera for that week. I wont be touching that game for a long long time even if you paid me x__x

As for the other games sure! :D
Time to order that PS2 Component cable I've been lazy to buy :P

Edited by ナガクラ, 12 September 2015 - 05:05 PM.

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

#7 OFFLINE   GregZerO

GregZerO

Jelly Bisquit

• Spirited Aways
  • 275 posts
  • Location???

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:10 PM

Great idea mid!

I actually started playing FFIV before 3 days!I might play the other games too but I'm probably skipping FF2/DCB because I am really done witht his game for the next 2 years.

tumblr_mayvegYZYE1rnbk4so1_400.gif

#8 OFFLINE   Reala

Reala

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 431 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:02 PM

I shall try and make the time been awhile since i last visited the forum
 photo flandrebanner.jpg

#9 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

Lingering Shadow

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,158 posts
  • Location日上山

Posted 13 September 2015 - 05:47 AM

Any special rules? Must complete only once? Can we skip WII Edition cuz its basically the same game as FF2? 

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

#10 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:37 AM

There aren't any rules at all. Do whatever you think you'll find most enjoyable. It's supposed to be a celebration, not a to-do list.

#11 OFFLINE   koko

koko

Lost Twin

• Administrators
  • 150 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:23 PM

Could someone stream, perhaps? I just went through them all, so I'm rather bored of them. I'd much rather watch someone else stream. 

#12 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:26 PM

Oh yeah, I probably should have posted this before I started typing out all my nonsense to post later. :P I know Zuhna talked about possibly doing a stream, but I'm not sure when or if he'll be doing that? In the meantime, there's a good youtube walkthrough here, for people who want to follow along without playing themselves.

#13 OFFLINE   Zuhna

Zuhna

Beardghost

• Spirited Aways
  • 65 posts
  • LocationIsland full of bananas

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:41 PM

I'm gonna do it today. About 2 hours from now. I'm gonna do it in 2 hour cycles. So tomorrow is next one. Btw can i edit post so i can keep my stream stuff in 1 post and not double post? I will also record them and upload them to youtube so they are for everyone to see.

Change of my plan as i only can stream 3 out of the 5 games. I will be doing my DCB streams on FF3 week and FF3 streams on DCB week as it goes well with the storyline. (Can't stream my Xbox version FF2. Don't own Xbox anymore)

FF1 Updates:

Spoiler

DCB Updates:
Spoiler

FF3 Updates:

Spoiler

If people want to check the stream and chat on the channel here is the link: http://www.twitch.tv/zuhna

I will be uploading Youtube videos here too if i get recordings to work. Hope you all enjoy the stream :icon_tengai:
Youtube videos:
FF1:

DCB:

FF3:

Edited by Zuhna, 21 October 2015 - 12:40 PM.

• midwinter and Hex like this

zD527Ay.png

#14 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:48 PM

Yay Zuhna! :icon_tengai: Editing your post sounds like a good idea, if you don't want to keep making new ones. I'll add links to it so people can find it quickly.

#15 OFFLINE   Gbarchetta

Gbarchetta

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 37 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:26 PM

Nice idea B)

#16 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:41 PM

Aww, man, getting used to these controls again is going to take some time. I keep hitting triangle to bring the camera up. :icon_fallenwoman: I've missed the quick turn, though.

Kirie appearing in the mirror is still the best antagonist entrance in the series, I think. She looks so scary in the dark monochrome with all the hands floating around her. That reminds me, did we ever figure out if there's any greater significance to the mirrors?

"Shutterbug Moment"! Haha, the days before "Fatal Frame" was even a thing in the games.

I think what really strikes me is how dark this game is - in terms of illumination. It really feels like you're relying on Miku's torch to see what's around you. On the one hand I like being able to see more detail, and I love the kind of warm, lantern-lit, eerily calm atmosphere of the later games, like they'll wrap you up in a blanket and sing you a lullaby and then kill you in your sleep... but on the other hand, it gets weird when even the outdoor areas feel as if they're lit by floodlights just out of sight. Or in Kurosawa House in FF2, when your flashlight goes out but it doesn't seem to make that much difference. I feel like if they remade FF1, the Lamp Hallway would be as brightly lit as the Kureha Shrine in FF2 or the Bell Hallway in FF3, but here the hanging lamps barely give off any light at all. It's very unsettling.

I can't imagine why they decided to do away with the hitodama. The floating heads are so majestic. :P

Thinking about Takamine's group, I find it hard to keep in mind that it was probably daylight while they were writing most of this stuff, since I don't think there's any kind of eternal night associated with Himuro Mansion. At least, you'd think they would have mentioned it if the sun hadn't risen? Miku just seems to sleep through the day and wake up after nightfall. It's weird to imagine Himuro Mansion in the daylight.

Another kind of thing I didn't really start thinking about until recently, but I find myself wondering why certain items ended up in the places where Miku finds them. Like, why is Koji's rope curse photo locked away in a drawer with the key to the Tatami Room? Did Tomoe put them there and then hide the Red Handmirror in the lion mask, and if so, why? Or did the ghosts hide them out of malice? It's kind of strange that the key and the photo are put away together, at any rate.

I've always liked the little detail about people in the Himuro area staying indoors and keeping their windows closed on the day of the ritual. It's fascinating to get glimpses of how these weird happenings affected the people who lived nearby.

You know, I never noticed before that the paper screen on the door to Ryozo's room is torn and you can look in. How observant am I! I wonder who boarded up his room, though. Who's been in the mansion since the Munakatas were there?

I think the Antechamber might be my favourite room in Himuro Mansion. Pretty <3

"The hallway walls are painted with blood. Maybe the ghost with long arms did it...?" So much love for the little things like this.

I do wish the vanishing ghost quotes came with subtitles, though. Most of them are drowned out by the shutter noise.

Say, if anyone gets Research Scrap 3 during their playthrough, please tell me how? It's the one that starts "The Disaster Called the Calamity", and it's supposed to be in a chest of drawers on the second floor of the Storehouse, but when I look it just tells me the chest of drawers is empty. :\

I wonder why Takamine doesn't think anyone would come looking for them.

Tomoe's diary says, "There were human heads in that room... so many of them!" Which room do you think she means? That might have been a pretty scary scene to include in the game.

Ooh, I'm always annoyed when I get to Narukami Shrine and there's an invisible wall blocking off either side of the veranda. I want to be able to see what's round the back!

End of Night 1! I still remember getting to this stage the first time I played, and it asked me whether I wanted to save. I mostly thought, "Wait a sec, I've just been attacked by the most evil ghost and I'm definitely cursed with the Rope Marks of Certain Death, and you're asking if I want to SAVE?" I was sure I'd done something wrong and should have been able to get away from Kirie, but fortunately for me, it wasn't that kind of game. :P

Okay, I think I'll post this and then make Night 2 a separate post. See you then!

EDIT: Night 2!

The first part of Night 2 really drags for some reason. Maybe it's just general child-ghosts-playing-tag fatigue, or maybe it's these kids specifically. They're totally paper-thin, even the boy. Especially the boy. What, they give him a crush on Mikoto and suddenly we're meant to feel extra bad about how he's doomed? These kids are seven years old, who cares about their crushes. I'd be more interested to hear from all of the kids about their friendship with Mikoto in general, and what they think about getting to play in this giant spooky mansion. What do their parents think about them playing in Himuro Mansion? We know the place has a bad reputation locally, after all. I dunno, as always I think they could have done more with the kids than "it's sad because they're innocent". In real life, yes, but this is fiction. Give me more. Make them work for my tears!!

I would've liked more Mikoto stuff in general, actually. Lots of people talk about her, but she's still mostly an enigma. Little Kirie singled her out specifically to give the camera to, and saved her when things started to fall apart and everyone was dying. That could have made for some interesting journal entries, surely!

Aaand my game just blackscreened at the Yae battle cutscene. That's new! I think I'll stop for now and carry on tomorrow.

• GregZerO, Hex and detertake like this

#17 OFFLINE   Sweetいも

Sweetいも

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:49 AM

This sounds fun! I don't really know anyone IRL that's into Fatal Frame to do stuff like that

Are more people doing streams? (Mostly because I'd be asleep during Zuhna's stream). I have FF4 and FF2 Wii addition stream able, but not sure if anyone would be interested in that (I'm not a professional streamer and I am annoying). But I'm in the US (West Coast) so might be a good variety in time?

Either way, this sounds amazing~

#18 OFFLINE   NSonic79

NSonic79

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 10 posts
  • LocationThe Upstate, South Carolina

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:16 AM

It had to be an event like this to get me back to BCL! I'm in on this. I'll play along and see if I can join in with the community. So far just got done with Prologue and the first Night. Last time I played the Xbox version so this time I'll tackle my digital copy of Fatal Frame on my PS3.

#19 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 715 posts
  • LocationIn a nest made of the Kusabi's hair.

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:14 AM

Say, if anyone gets Research Scrap 3 during their playthrough, please tell me how? It's the one that starts "The Disaster Called the Calamity", and it's supposed to be in a chest of drawers on the second floor of the Storehouse, but when I look it just tells me the chest of drawers is empty. :\

You have to check the right side of the dresser.  Like you need to have Miku facing towards the right while still being somewhat close to the middle.  Although, I'm not sure if it will still be there after Night 1 because of the Time loop going on.

Edited by Mickie&Minnie98, 15 September 2015 - 05:24 AM.

#20 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 822 posts
  • LocationThe white sands of limbo

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:42 PM

Just beat the First Night as well and wanted to share some observations, albeit ones that have likely been made before, and theories (I scribbled a lot of notes in the dark, so bare with me orz).  A lot of it was inspired by reading midwinter's comments, so thank you for setting this up and getting me to think about things this long after release!

I'd like to mention first though, it's such a shame that Fatal Frame's music isn't as often remembered as RE or SH's.   Hearing this after so long still had me totally convinced the mansion was alive and howling for me to leave, and my heart still stopped in the silence whenever a track looped.  

Right, so my main theory trickles a lot into the others, so I'll start there.  We know Kirie was divided between two conflicting emotions, which manifest as two separate entities: a younger self wishing to perform her duty, and a Malice-tainted adult intent on inflicting her misery on others, but during this playthrough, I wondered if the latter's intentions ("I'll make you feel my pain") had a double meaning, just like her.  She lashes out and curses people who can't understand, as if to make them, but her relationships with people who might are a bit more complicated.

After seeing midwinter ask about possible symbolism in the mirrors, I started thinking about it.  One of the first things we see is Mafuyu's reflection in the Intro screen, possibly foreshadowing his likeness to someone else.  Miku makes a comment examining one of the mirrors about the meaning behind Kirie in the reflection, suggesting there is one, and I think it's to indicate their similarities.

Once compared, you find: they were both outcasts, attuned to the supernatural, the last caught in their respective games of Demon Tag, and even their significant others are identical.  The path Miku takes is Kirie's, literally and metaphorically; she bares the ropes on her limbs, her routes (The Cell, Moon Well, attic, etc.) are the Rope Shrine Maiden's.  She both feels and shares her pain, not unlike

Spoiler

I think Kirie associates with people who could possibly relate to her, who she shadows in visions, reflections and photographs (seen with Mikoto) in hopes they can empathize with and stop her.  I thought it was odd her adult form would try to communicate with Tomoe for example, but then I noticed both she and Miku were drawn to the isolated Rope Shrine Maiden doll, likely due to their own feelings of being outcasts with their sixth senses, and that could be the symbolism of Kirie in reflections: she's trying to find someone like her.

This is significant to me because I'd often felt Miku's role gets shafted towards the end for Mafuyu to become the important figure, but seeing it this way makes me re-think that.  She is the one to play Demon Tag, reassemble the Holy Mirror and purify Kirie.  Company isn't what the pillar actually needs, as seen in the ending when they can escape together.  Miku helped all on her own, because she's what Kirie was really looking for.  A metaphorical mirror.

That...came out a lot more pretentious than I thought.  But I'm not done!

What started this was actually noticing, or reading too much into, parallels between the Novelist's Group and the Munakatas, that are possibly playing into the theme of echoes through history 1 has and explaining why Tomoe couldn't relate to Kirie completely, as she's more similar to Yae.  Both are in a unit of 3, in the mansion as part of their partner's research.  Trouble starts when they photograph Person C (Mikoto/Koji) who eventually becomes spirited away, leading to a decline in their sanity and leaving them vulnerable to ghosts.  They die not far from each other and their partners are murdered by Kirie after making progress with 5 masks/Buddha statues. 

I have too much time on my hands.   :thinking:  Some random comments I wrote down:

The Correlation Chart is definitely missed.  I love the system of updates when you read particular notes, I feel like I'm doing research myself trying to piece it all together.

Do not raise your camera while wearing headphones as the tape recorder slows down.  That sound is the most awful thing ever, my skin's crawling just thinking about it.

If they ever do remake it, a mode where you play as Tomoe with her mysterious camera would be cool.

Raised my camera to check out one of the screens and totally forgot the candle audibly flickers in response.  Made me jump, I really miss environmental scares like that. 

"I doubt he'll be able to find it, though."  As if all traces of Ryozo vanished with him - creepy!

I didn't make the connection that the 5 sealed puzzle doors are broken in the 1st Night to reflect the smashed mirrors.  That's cool.

Does anyone else find the wobbly Casper "Now Loading" screen cute?  

Crack theory: Koji's "There's a rope!" note in the entrance was written by his ghost.  It's dated September 12th, the day after his disappearance when he's discovered dead at 9:00AM.  It's entirely possible he wrote it between then 12:00AM, but when Tomoe records her Red Tape 2 the previous day, the audible ghost voice says it's "too late for him", suggesting he's already dead.  "There's a rope" is also his ghost mantra, and the graphic for the note is wrinkled and bloody.

A bit weird that Miku has no reaction to Yae hanging from the tree when leaving the Abyss, but has a flashback seeing her from the balcony.  

I think that's all.  Sorry for the waffling, I genuinely didn't think I'd have this much to say after all this time!  See you's in Night 2.

• midwinter and AnimalLover47999 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame Series

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users