Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
midwinter : (12 October 2017 - 12:37 PM) Maybe Spirit Camera since I don't replay that very often...
GreekShadow : (12 October 2017 - 02:45 PM) I might replay FF3.Not sure if I should start a brand new playthrough or one with my unlockes though hmmm.I have years to play FF3 ;_;
Hex : (12 October 2017 - 02:57 PM) Just think: yukatas.   :icon_ff3miku1:
Hex : (12 October 2017 - 02:57 PM) (Why Rei doesn't have a blue one will forever be a mystery)
asagi : (12 October 2017 - 04:37 PM) I want to replay the games but mom threw the ps3 out of the window :zca rei:
Eisenalex : (12 October 2017 - 11:16 PM) Why would she do that?
Eisenalex : (14 October 2017 - 11:30 AM) I just learned that there's apparently a manga based on Siren made by Junji Ito.
Hex : (15 October 2017 - 01:11 PM) If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's unsurprisingly pretty gross.
Eisenalex : (15 October 2017 - 02:20 PM) It's Junji Ito. Of course it gets either super weird or gross, lol.
NightmarePic... : (15 October 2017 - 03:15 PM) And me being curious I had to look it up. Yup definitely gross XD
Eisenalex : (15 October 2017 - 05:17 PM) Did you think it was that bad? I enjoy Ito's stuff a lot.
NightmarePic... : (15 October 2017 - 05:32 PM) Meh.. It wasn't all that bad. Just more unsettling than "gross". Those weird worm girls or whatever are way worse *cringes*
Eisenalex : (15 October 2017 - 05:41 PM) I'm not sure what you mean by "worm girls". He did a couple of slug-transformations, though.
NightmarePic... : (16 October 2017 - 11:02 PM) That was it.. yup lol
Hex : (17 October 2017 - 05:33 PM) My new washing machine makes jingles whenever it's finished like an ice cream van.
NightmarePic... : (17 October 2017 - 06:12 PM) I... don't think that's good Hex.. You might want to check what's in there other than clothes lol
Kouta Koikawa : (17 October 2017 - 06:28 PM) Maybe they come with entertaining sound effects these days.
midwinter : (17 October 2017 - 07:15 PM) A lot of the new ones are supposed to chime to let you know when the cycle is done
midwinter : (17 October 2017 - 07:16 PM) Mine does, at least
Eisenalex : (17 October 2017 - 09:59 PM) The future is now.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Which is the definitive version Crimson Butterfly?

Deep Crimson Butterfly Fatal Frame II Poll Opinion Project Zero II

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Which is the definitive version Crimson Butterfly? (55 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is the definitive version of Crimson Butterfly?

1. Crimson Butterfly (PS2) (12 votes [21.82%])

Percentage of vote: 21.82%

2. Voted Director's Cut (XBOX) (17 votes [30.91%])

Percentage of vote: 30.91%

3. Deep Crimson Butterfly (Wii) (26 votes [47.27%])

Percentage of vote: 47.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Lighthouse Climber

• Haori Inspector
  • 758 posts
  • LocationZero Stage

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:52 AM

I think I made a similar topic on the previous forums, so why not post it again.

Out of the three current versions of CB, I was wondering which one resonated with you the most. If you were to recommend it to a friend, which console would you pick and for what reasons? Feel free to discuss the things you liked and disliked about each version, or to voice any disappointments.

• Emi likes this

#2 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

Vampire Slayer in Training

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationSunnydale

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:22 AM

Personal liking: Akai Chou (PS2)
My recommendation to newcomers: Shinku no Chou

I persuade someone at the DOAW forums from the UK to try out the series. Not sure if she end up getting it or not but she liked the trailers. She dosen't like horror in general and I ended up persuading her. Pfft. I should convert more people into the fandom lol She already has a Wii and I'm not sure if older games are harder to find there since they are very rare to come by over here.

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

#3 OFFLINE   Yashuu

Yashuu

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 309 posts
  • LocationNaked under a haori

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

I'd say DCB, because even though it's not the fullest content wise, it looks the best, has the most story content, is scarier, the fights are more fun, it's more streamlined etc.

Whether the new camera is better, I don't know, but I don't think 2 relied on cinematic angles as much  as 3, so it doesn't make much of a difference either way.

• AnimalLover47999 likes this

ZR9JeXg.gif
i will jiggle into your soul

#4 OFFLINE   Kaelin

Kaelin

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 28 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Me? well I could go for any, It's all the same to me to be perfectly honest. They all have their little issues that they fix for eachother, especially with the camera. Aiming in DCB was a nightmare at times but charged like a boss. CB controlled pretty decently but I hate that the camera charge had changed compared to 1 & 3.

It's quite a hard decision I think... for me personally I don't feel that it was in need of a remake, or any more than a remastered port if that makes sense. I feel like they're having a hard time grasping the wii all togeather and I know that isn't entirly their fault. Either that or their play testers are just not making an effort anymore. If I wanted to play it again then I guess I would go with DCB as long as the camera was willing to co-operate. And I know it's simple and easy to poke fun at it but you really do lose immersion when it starts floating off.

If it were my friends... well I know they'd turn it off about 5 or 10 minutes in regardless of which version xD.

On a personal note I would've much rathered they put this time and effort into fixing 4 and possibly remastering 1 or 2. Or at least adding controller support like a gamecube pad.

output_Q0vP4Q_zps1d14064a.gif

#5 OFFLINE   GreekShadow

GreekShadow

Jelly Bisquit

• Spirited Aways
  • 239 posts
  • LocationGreece/Athens

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Deep Crimson Butterfly by far because it has: 

-Controls that I personally find them better than the ps2 version(Maybe because i am used to it). 

-New Endings

-New Cutscenes 

-Exploration is better(Invistigation,peek,grabbing items) 

-Better visuals 

-It is a bit(a little bit) harder than the original. 

-Fights are more interesting(ghost moves and Dark returns). 

-It is scarier. 

The only thing that i miss from the original is Mission mode.

• AnimalLover47999 likes this

tumblr_mayvegYZYE1rnbk4so1_400.gif

#6 OFFLINE   Homuranagi

Homuranagi

RED CHILLI HOT PEPPER????

• Crazy Noisy Bizarre Admin
  • 422 posts
  • LocationDuwang Town

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

I'm actually going for the Xbox version.

Scariness is moot because neither of them is particularly scary to me - they have more of a magical, fantastical style than a scary one, so that's part of it. The remake barely looks any better than the original, and I have issues with the new character designs, particularly the pointless ageing-up of the twins. They did add a tiny little bit more story in that wasn't in the original, but it felt very half-baked, and the background you need to understand an entire ending was purposely left out and only appeared in the guidebook... so it was pretty much pointless in the end unless you bought said book. And I absolutely hate the forced item-grabbing and the controls felt broken at times, so that's a big turn-off as well.

Pretty much the only new non-ending addition I actually liked was the new ghost moves. I do like the new endings, though they were absolutely not needed - but I do like the idea of endings being tied to your actions rather than difficulty. Dark Returns were not a good idea. They're tolerable most of the time but feel out of place, like they thought Blooming was a good idea but couldn't work out how to slot it in so just made stuff all purple. It's also a huge irritation with ghosts like Yoshitatsu Kiryuu who are absolutely awful, boring fights to begin with. Haunted House Mode was a complete waste of time and money and should just be confined to the back of everyone's memory and we can all pretend that crap never happened. Waste of a character in Kureha, too. Not to mention the absolutely horrendous costumes.

I think that the main problem with SnC, though, was that it just didn't bring anything to the table that made it worth my time. It only added a tiny amount of content, most of which I didn't even like, but stripped out huge chunks that I DID like. The Xbox version was only ever a port and it still felt more worth my time. New character designs I don't like aren't enough to keep me trotting around that village at 0.2mph for the thirtieth time. The Xbox version had a huge amount of content, even though I wasn't that fond of some of the new stuff that came with it, but at least it didn't pretend to be something it didn't actually turn out to be - namely something that I'd not played a hundred times before except with more lanterns and butterflies. Going through a game that is 99% the same except with more irritating delaying tactics just to get a new ending isn't worth it for me at this point. It absolutely did not need a remake and I'm still not sure why it got one and the other two were passed up.

• Hex likes this

AAHOrHo.gif

#7 OFFLINE   plasmid

plasmid

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 44 posts
  • LocationLas vegas

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

I agree with the Xbox version being better.

The over the shoulder cam doesnt do anything for me besides make it harder to control your character it relies on turning around or running slightly to the left for dodging, you had more control with

the Xbox version. (but mio is slow so whatever)

Camera controls everyone complains about them so all I'll say is I wish they had learned from FF4 and fixed it some.(fight with the twins in the small closset yeah....no)

As for the graphics which I was most dissapointed in...They took most of their content from the Xbox version and just gave it new lighting and maybe some new textures here and there, there were no new

areas added to explore. In fact I stopped playing for like a week becuase I knew I had already played one part on the Xbox version like 9 times. It was just to much like the Xbox version to be a remake.

I think maybe if Nintendo didnt have rights to the IP they woulda been forced to put some work into the visuals haha but since its wii they got lazy. not to mention that DCB doesnt have HD support on the wii but the

Xbox version had it... if you play it on dolphin you can get it though.

As for things I liked, hm I enjoyed both versions of the ending song, but DCB doesnt fit as well, way to up beat for whats happening. Some of the rooms were done really nicely, the butterfly room for example has really nice

red lighting on all the lanterns. Visually the lighting is a lot more appealing then the Xbox, more darks and lights then just all dark or dull lighting.

if your deciding which one to play over the other, play the Xbox version first, then play the wii remake, both versions can be aprecieated, but playing them in order is the only way to get your own view on it.

#8 OFFLINE   Magamdy

Magamdy

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 211 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Hmm, I didn't play the Xbox one so I can't argue about that.

On one side, I like to think DCB ahould be the definitive one, because it has a lot of additions that make it a nicer game, like the new ghosts moves. But on the other side it has more things I don't like: ghost hands, annoying drapes, the grab system in general. Also Dark Returns seem to just have been haphazardly copied from 4 without any further context (in 4 they were explainable by lore). I do like the new endings a lot, but they're just endings and don't really say anything about the overall improved quality of the game.

So I have to choose for the PS2 version, maybe if it's only because of nostalgic reasons. It does hold a place in my heart :'3

#9 OFFLINE   Chasind_Valentine

Chasind_Valentine

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

This vote is actually a lot closer than I thought it would be.

It's kind of hard to answer which should be the most definitive version because there are arguments like "Oh it's the original it has to be" etc.. But I liked DCB the best because I thought the camera was the most perfect one of the 3, great new ending editions (and the ways you get them), it looked gorgeous and the controls were well done.

DCB <3

#10 OFFLINE   Aberration

Aberration

Unknown Victim

• Spirited Aways
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

I cannot comment on the Xbox version as I have not played it.

Though I remembered the PS2 version in a better light, when directly comparing it with the Wii version I found it more difficult to decide which was better.

The following is a list of positives (+) and negatives (-) regarding the Wii Remake compared to the PS2 version (aspects I had difficulty deciding on I’ve listed as either +/-).

(+) Voice Acting

(+) Character Designs

(Mio, Mayu, Tachibana Itsuki at storehouse window).

(+) Game-play additions

For example: reaching out for items and purple ‘berserk’ ghost forms or whatever they’re called.

(+/-) Camera

Both have positive and negatives; while it can be less disorientating to be seeing in the direction the character is facing it restricts your view so you cannot see ghosts behind you or grabbing you from the side through walls (the Wii camera feels more natural but I may just be more used to it currently).

(+/-) Controls

I don’t have a major problem with Wii controls. They could just be different as opposed to better or worse.

(-) Haunted House Mode

A boring gimmick and I am yet to see the importance or relevance this places on the main game.

(-) Lack of Missions

These were leagues ahead of the abysmal Haunted House mode.

(-) Ghost Designs

Makimura Masumi and Limbo Woman/Woman Slain by Kusabi seem improved but I preferred the original designs of Sudo Miyako and Tachibana Chitose.

I don’t feel it’s acceptable for designs to be replaced with inferior ones, even if it’s just my opinion.

(-) Music

Largely identical but the title music of the original is gone at least in its entirety.

In fact I preferred the simple title screen background of the original as well.

(-) Spirit Stone Radio

It’s irritating that even when you set the audio output to headphones, spirit stone radio messages still sound through the abysmal Wiimote speakers (I don’t relish the act of having to remove my headphones in order to allow my ears to be pained by a mostly incomprehensible, screeching Wiimote speaker).

#11 OFFLINE   Rheo

Rheo

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 482 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Philippines

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:31 AM

I actually voted for the Deep Crimson Butterfly but I haven't thought about discussing it...

I've played the Crimson Butterfly on PS2, yes...

But not the Wii remake yet, however I have a Wii...

It came to my mind that the remake is much newer than the old one, which is why I think that it is definitive, for me. Maybe, in my opinion.

It was just a dew of certainty that crossed my mind. >w<

As for the Xbox, I really don't know because I don't have one, so I can't say. XD

th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo2_250_zps034th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo6_250_zps979  
One, Three, and Four, my favorite characters as of now.
Two? No. Five? No!
and Zero? NO!

#12 OFFLINE   IcedEarthaholic

IcedEarthaholic

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:19 AM

Oh beyond a shadow of a doubt Deep Crimson Butterfly is the king. The original version had it's jump moments, but actually didn't scare me all that much. Deep Crimson Butterfly? Good God! Some of the new cutscenes featured in the game really wigged me out, one in particular in Chapter 7 that took place with Mayu in the bedroom of the twin boys, and Mio on the outside of it. Let's just say that part really, really wigged me out and if you ask me, a survival horror game is doing it's job if it's wigging you out. The ghosts also do a great job of scaring the hell out of you, I screamed more times in one playthrough of this version than I did in all three playthroughs of the Xbox original put together. Yes, there's no mission mode, and no Utsuro, but compared to what we gained here? I'll take DCB in a heartbeat over the other versions. 

#13 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

Vampire Slayer in Training

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationSunnydale

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

Doesn't the Xbox ver. replaced some sounds? Like I remember a different sound plays when the Peeping Boy pops up that made it less scary then the PS2 ver. which gave me a bit of a scare (PS2 ver.) I'll give it that.

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

#14 OFFLINE   Kou

Kou

Unknown Victim

• Spirited Aways
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:55 AM

For me, Deep Crimson Butterfly basically took everything that made Fatal Frame IV a terrible experience compared to the first three games--and dumped them onto one of my favorite games ever. I will never, ever think that the over-the-shoulder camera angle was a remotely good decision for this series, which originally had such an awesomely cinematic style. It especially doesn't work in this game, where the rooms are so tiny and cramped. How long does it take me to get out of a room now, at least three times as long as before?

The graphics--I feel like the only person in the world who actually thinks the graphics in the original are superior to the graphics in IV and DCB. Maybe not on a technical level, but purely based on aesthetics. Why are Mio and Mayu so TALL? They look like they'd be 6'6" if they were real people. Is it just my TV, or are the colors also ridiculously oversaturated this time?

Not to mention, the grabbing system, those annoying curtains, the lighting is still awful just like with IV, THE MINIMAP (WHY ON EARTH DID THEY PUT A MINIMAP IN THIS GAME?), and the fact that the entire game is spoonfed to you. Every time you reach anything, a tutorial pops up that takes you right out of the game. Every time you get a key, the map pops up and takes you right out of the game. It's like the game thinks it has to hold your hand every step of the way. I don't want that in a horror game. It doesn't scare me.

I haven't played the Xbox version, but I think it goes without saying that I definitely think the PS2 version is the definitive version because, yes, it is the original, and I also think it's just miles above the remake in gameplay. It's fun to play, while the Wii version is just tiring. I actually would not recommend the Wii version to anyone personally but then, I feel like I have a vendetta against the Nintendo games.

#15 OFFLINE   Yashuu

Yashuu

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 309 posts
  • LocationNaked under a haori

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

I agreed with the tall thing at first, but then I noticed how tall the ghosts were- they're like giants compared to the twins. I guess the shoulder camera just makes them seem taller.

ZR9JeXg.gif
i will jiggle into your soul

#16 OFFLINE   IcedEarthaholic

IcedEarthaholic

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

Funny Kou, I didn't have that much of a problem getting out of rooms whatsoever once I got used to the controls. It took me mere minutes to learn the basics, took me a bit longer to get the hang of combat, but for me DCB is better than the original in just about all aspects. Graphically the game looks astounding. I could not believe it was running on the Wii, that's how good it looked. I actually liked the grabbing technique going on, actually added a nice hint of fear when it came to getting items, and added a much needed sense of tension and unease. Needless to say, for me this is the definitive version of the game. 

#17 OFFLINE   Reala

Reala

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 429 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

I thought because of the graphics and extra content that DCB is the definitive version and after playing the original I still think that but tbh I find crimson butterfly much more scarier than the remake, for some reason ??? Lol also its interesting to see dialogue and graphical differences too, I like both voice actors the same but I like the new sae laugh better
 photo flandrebanner.jpg

#18 OFFLINE   IcedEarthaholic

IcedEarthaholic

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

I actually found the original version not that scary, it had some great jump momemts, but did not make me outright scream and curse like the remake did. Plus, the two new endings? Holy Moses!

#19 OFFLINE   Reala

Reala

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 429 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

I must be like dead inside cus I've never liked screamed or swore in fear at any game lol first game is the freakiest DCB was a cake walk
 photo flandrebanner.jpg

#20 OFFLINE   IcedEarthaholic

IcedEarthaholic

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

Ha ha, not for me it wasn't, and normally I am not one to get scared easily at all, let alone full-blown screaming at the top of my lungs and shouting "S***! S***! S***! S***!" at the top of my lungs like DCB caused me to do countless times. The original CB did NOT do this to me, made me jump, sure, but did not do what DCB does to me. Hell, the new cutscene in Chapter 7 outside Itsuki and Mutsuki's bedroom wigged me out so bad I had to take a break from the game for a couple days before I could continue. Yeah, this is definitely the scariest game I've played, again, considering I am not one to be scared easily even in survival horror games in general, THAT is an accomplishment! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Deep Crimson Butterfly, Fatal Frame II, Poll, Opinion, Project Zero II

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users