Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
AnimalLover4... : (29 August 2017 - 09:39 PM) How about you?
Kouta Koikawa : (05 September 2017 - 01:26 PM) I remember how this forum used to be active. That was many years ago. We need a new game to make the forum active again.
yamibito : (08 September 2017 - 11:29 AM) How about Fatal Frame Card Game?
yamibito : (08 September 2017 - 11:35 AM) Couldn't find anything about it here
yamibito : (08 September 2017 - 11:36 AM) But it exist, quite long
yamibito : (08 September 2017 - 11:36 AM) http://www.fourhman.com/fatalframe/
Eisenalex : (08 September 2017 - 09:05 PM) That card game looks so cool!
Rezz : (08 September 2017 - 09:46 PM) I c u, 2017 exchange
Eisenalex : (08 September 2017 - 10:11 PM) when do the exchanges usually start?
midwinter : (09 September 2017 - 02:28 PM) It varies, but usually around November
midwinter : (09 September 2017 - 02:28 PM) Last year started very late because I wasn't planning to run it but then changed my mind
midwinter : (09 September 2017 - 02:36 PM) Maybe will be earlier this year :3c
midwinter : (09 September 2017 - 02:52 PM) (To be clear, I didn't set up the forum this time, I'm assuming Hex did. So thank you, Hex!)
Eisenalex : (11 September 2017 - 10:39 PM) There's a Nintendo Direct coming.
Eisenalex : (11 September 2017 - 10:39 PM) I'm not holding my breath for it but a teaser for a new FF would be nice.
midwinter : (12 September 2017 - 08:39 PM) It would
midwinter : (12 September 2017 - 08:39 PM) It's happening pretty late at night here, so I doubt I'll stay up and watch it, but I'd be happy to wake up to news
Eisenalex : (13 September 2017 - 08:54 AM) Same for me. At least KT once stated that they have a little something in the works for the Switch and I doubt it'll only be FE: Warriors.
Eisenalex : (13 September 2017 - 10:57 PM) Now that was kinda disappointing. Didn't expect Doom and Wolfenstein. As expected, no FF news, unfortunately. I'm surprised that we didn't get a Smash 4 port announced or any news on Travis Strikes Back.
GreekShadow : (24 September 2017 - 01:19 PM) Did I loose something?Or TGS was too poor this year?Almost nothing new was announced for anything?

Photo

Hikamiyama?

Fatal Frame V Question Answered

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Spirit Mountain

Spirit Mountain

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 10 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:49 PM

Hi! 

So, I've read the information on the Fatal Frame wiki, and BLC zero wiki about this game as I sooo want to buy it when it comes out but something's been bugging me.  On both of those sites, it's been said the English translation of Hikamiyama is "the mountain of the sun god"  but I don't think that's correct.  The kanji for Hikamiyama is 日上山  the first one is for sun and the last one is for mountain but the middle one, while it is pronounced the same as "kami" which means God, it doesn't actually mean God but can instead mean "top" or "upper reaches of a river or stream". 

So, wouldn't the actual correct meaning be along the lines of "the sun at the river source atop the mountain"?  (Kinda cumbersome I know - but I was never good at translation).  :)

Still it does fit better than the sun god thing, as if I'm remembering correctly *SPOILER ALERT* at the top of the mountain is the eternal sunset which shines upon the black lake - the spring or source of the water that pours from the mountain.

#2 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:50 PM

Psst, just a reminder to use spoiler tags when discussing game details outside the Spoiler Forum. ^_^ Instructions here if you need them!

I don't know Japanese, but I think Zero Wiki just says that Mount Hikami is also known as the mountain of the sun-god, right? I think it's like a nickname or wordplay based on the similar sounds, like how the first character of Minakami changed from 皆 (all) to 水 (water) over time. In fact, I just had a look and there's an in-game document that mentions it (also contains spoilers). Makoto Shibata really likes his double meanings.

#3 OFFLINE   Spirit Mountain

Spirit Mountain

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 10 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:05 PM

Oh thanks for the spoiler tag thing - my bad.

But I agree with you about Makoto Shibata - he really does.  :)  Still, that's why I like the Japanese language, due to the huge number of kanji and that a lot of them are homophones and can mean different things means you can have fun with a lot of word play.  :)

#4 OFFLINE   Homuranagi

Homuranagi

RED CHILLI HOT PEPPER????

• Crazy Noisy Bizarre Admin
  • 422 posts
  • LocationDuwang Town

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:53 PM

It is yet another of these kanji switches, yes. I think it was used in some kind of prerelease promo material as well (possibly around the original announcement event last July?), but now that I look back I can't find it... Maybe it was just a good guess. Can't remember. But anyway, the sun god version is supposedly an old name that has to do with the former religion there. The "newer" version uses different kanji on top of the same reading (hikami), hence the confusion, because they like screwing with us this way. The reason also why it's "mountain crowned by the sun" rather than what you suggested is because it's described as 太陽を上に頂く山, or literally "the mountain with the sun on top of it", and "crowned" sounds better than "on top of", basically  :icon_makabe: It's entirely possible that the water theme was intentional as well (which is something they did with Minakami), but it never mentions it at all.

5 has more of this than any of the other games, I think. 2 and 3 had a couple of things, but it wasn't too bad. Here, though... There are three types of "mikomori" alone, if not more, and those don't even follow the same syllable pattern just to make it more "fun" (mi-komori/miko-mori). We now have at least four variations of "minakami". Or how about "yomi"?

I'm interested to see how the localisation deals with all of this, since it doesn't make a huge amount of sense/connection if you don't know that the words share the same reading. Good luck, everybody.

AAHOrHo.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame V, Question, Answered

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users