Anyone trying to register a new account:

The forums are currently being targeted by spambots, so new registrations will have to be manually approved by an admin. I'll try to check the list at least once a day, but if you want to be approved more quickly, or if you've been falsely marked as a spammer, please message elwing.alcyone at Gmail.

- midwinter

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
midwinter : (24 January 2019 - 05:16 PM) i never would have thought of trying to edit it if you hadn't brought it up
GregZerO : (27 January 2019 - 02:24 AM) glad i did :P
GregZerO : (27 January 2019 - 02:42 AM) Also for some reason BCL according to my antivirus pc or something is not a secure page  :thinking:
GregZerO : (27 January 2019 - 02:42 AM) and its weird cause 99% of the pages on he internet are "secure"
GregZerO : (04 March 2019 - 11:10 PM) https://www.youtube....h?v=jDadONMsXjw
GregZerO : (04 March 2019 - 11:10 PM) amano's new song doesn't sound bad
GregZerO : (04 March 2019 - 11:14 PM) and the video is like a fan singing koe or something lel
midwinter : (05 March 2019 - 02:24 PM) ooh, i like it
midwinter : (05 March 2019 - 02:25 PM) it sounds more like her old stuff
GregZerO : (05 March 2019 - 08:19 PM) indeed,I hope someone will upload the full version soon
GregZerO : (05 March 2019 - 08:20 PM) mid how are ur japanese going?
Tigermausbaer : (20 March 2019 - 10:22 AM) Hello everyone! :)
Rheo : (14 April 2019 - 10:10 AM) Hi!
Rui Kurosawa : (20 April 2019 - 01:50 AM) Hi!
TheJake : (31 May 2019 - 09:27 PM) In FF4, are spirit points only used for the shop?  It seems like you just need these crystals for upgrades, but I'm not 100% sure. :P
Kicksville : (02 June 2019 - 01:29 PM) The save point shop and the post-game shop after you're done (for costumes and such)
suprimeking : (24 June 2019 - 12:40 PM) anyone here
suprimeking : (10 July 2019 - 11:11 AM) discord is acting up on me again
Gbarchetta : (28 July 2019 - 06:20 PM) Urgh, I want a new entry in the series :(
Jamie : (28 July 2019 - 07:29 PM) Same here :C

Photo
- - - - -

How to phonetically correct reads Mayu japanese name "天倉 繭"?

Fatal Frame II Mayu Amakura Localization Translation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Metafalica

Metafalica

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:12 AM

I were playing in japanese version of fatal frame 2 and noticed that Mio says something way too different from "Mayu" when were calling her. My ears can't figure out the correct sound of her name.

#2 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:27 AM

She calls her "onee-chan", which just means "older sister". Mayu's name is still Mayu. :)

#3 OFFLINE   Metafalica

Metafalica

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:02 AM

Oh, huh >_<

What a weird way to talk with her own sister...

#4 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:15 AM

Heh, it might seem that way if you're not used to it, but in Japanese that's just the normal form of address for an elder sibling, like calling your parents mum and dad in English instead of using their names. In the Japanese versions Miku calls Mafuyu "onii-san" (older brother) as well, and if you listen to Japanese shows or games in the original language you'll hear it a lot; it's not like a weird thing that only Mio does.

#5 OFFLINE   MacabrelleEnvy

MacabrelleEnvy

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 433 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques and Cafe

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:37 AM

Right, and they did that purposely to add another element to the story.

In the game it appears that the older sister kills the younger. In Minakami village, however, the first born twin is considered the younger since the stronger twin let them be born first. So you are supposed to go through the game believing Mayu will kill you at the end but then you actually kill her.

#6 OFFLINE   Metafalica

Metafalica

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:01 PM

Got it.

Ok, since we came to older / younger theme, could you also answer me on this...

I am translating the game into my native language and run into some weird contradiction in the text:

This phrases are said by someone (most likely by Sae):

Yae... Just give up...

We who are the first to draw breath...

We are destined to live as Remainings...

And I find this very very weird! This means that the one who born first ("first to draw breath") must live as Remaining... but... in Minakami village the older is the one who born last and she must live as Remaining.

So... What should I do with this contradiction?

I have two options:

1. Fix the phrase about "first to draw breath" to be "last to draw breath".

2. Leave things as they are.

What you think? Maybe I just don't understand something?

Edited by Metafalica, 18 April 2015 - 01:02 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Homuranagi

Homuranagi

RED CHILLI HOT PEPPER????

• Crazy Noisy Bizarre Admin
  • 422 posts
  • LocationDuwang Town

Posted 18 April 2015 - 04:23 PM

It's from Ryokan's spirit stone, not Sae, so it makes more sense in terms of the Remaining thing but, yes, it is wrong. This is one of the weird cases where neither localisation hits the nail on the head; the original one kind of dodges around it, kind of gets it wrong, and the newer one is just wrong altogether. The original text reads more like, "We, who are the latter to be given life, must live on as a Remaining..." (More literally it says "we who are given life afterwards", but that just sounds weird. Basically yes, it's just saying that they are the second of the two to be born.)

Since it's the localisation(s) in the wrong rather than the game, it sounds like a good idea to fix it.

AAHOrHo.gif

#8 OFFLINE   Metafalica

Metafalica

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 04:33 PM

Got it. Thank you, then I will fix it in my translation.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame II, Mayu Amakura, Localization, Translation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users