Signups for the 2017 Christmas Exchange are open! Come and join us for spooky festive gifts!

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
midwinter : (08 November 2017 - 03:29 PM) Ok, playing with headphones is definitely superior
midwinter : (08 November 2017 - 03:31 PM) I knew the music in Rei's house changed after Miku's chapters start but I never noticed it has these little bumps and rustles that make it sound like something's moving in the house
midwinter : (08 November 2017 - 05:41 PM) also there is more ghost talk during Kei's phone call!
midwinter : (08 November 2017 - 05:41 PM) i couldn't hear most of it, though, I need to listen again
Hex : (08 November 2017 - 06:12 PM) Yesss, headphones.  I think you can hear doors being closed in Rei's house too.
Hex : (09 November 2017 - 01:03 PM) Damn, I didn't know they were closing down the miiverse until too late.  My screenshots.  :(
midwinter : (09 November 2017 - 01:40 PM) Argh, no backups? That sucks :(
Hex : (09 November 2017 - 01:48 PM) On the bright side, I still have an album full of pretty scenery and Hisoka looking confused.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) Nintendo shouldn't have shut down Miiverse.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) People loved it.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) And they should have incorporated it onto the Switch.
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:51 AM) Finally finished TEW2, t'was excellent.
GreekShadow : (12 November 2017 - 05:14 AM) I'm glad you enjoed it Hex!How was it comparing to the first one though(,which i personally disliked)?
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:11 PM) I've only played the first for a few hours (didn't like it much either), but it was a big improvement.  The gameplay is fun, the stealth works a lot better, the open world map isn't too big but there's sidequests (one with a cool ghost lady!) and some interesting things to do.
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:17 PM) I was really impressed with the story since it was one of the things that put me off the first. The last 20 minutes were so good, definitely one of the best endings I've seen in awhile.
Daz Hinasaki : (12 November 2017 - 07:17 PM) Hey guys I'm finishing fatal frame 1 on my twitch channel tonight! :) love you to join me https://www.twitch.tv/chunzbunz
GreekShadow : (13 November 2017 - 05:36 AM) oh sounds cool thank you hex!And for me also the story of the first one put me off,glad the second one is better
Hex : (16 November 2017 - 12:01 PM) TIL: ghost marriage is actually practiced in China.   :staffsan:
Rheo : (16 November 2017 - 12:13 PM) O_O
Rheo : (16 November 2017 - 12:13 PM) oh yeah there's a local movie here called The Ghost Bride and the actress playing that is half-Chinese

Photo
- - - - -

The choice of difficulty help will be very much appreciated!

Fatal Frame II Hints Gameplay

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Adda

Adda

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:47 AM

Hello, guys! I've finished FF1 quite a long while ago and finally am ready to play FF2 (PS2 version).

However, I heard that FF2 had a considerable drop in difficulty in comparison to FF1. Now, FF1 was surely one of the hardest games I've ever played, even though I played it on normal difficulty setting! But that said, I'm not sure how huge the difficulty drop in FF2 is, maybe it's been made so easy that I should play on hard?

To give you some information, I've played a lot of online shooter games in the past and that's where I learnt to be good at combat from, and so normally I play all games with combat in the hardest mode available, otherwise they're too easy. Like Painkiller on Trauma (if someone remembers that one). As for horror games, their combat is usually easier than in action games. So Silent Hill's hard mode combat, for example, is still not challenging enough for me, but it's decent. Normal mode in SH is lame, however, it makes the game lose its scare factor. If you feel completely invulnerable, how can you continue to find the game eerie? It's been a real issue for me. I play horror games solely for the scare factor, and I need challenging combat to keep myself spooked and tense in the middle of the night.

I hope someone can tell me, given this information, whether I should play FF2 on normal or hard. I really don't know. Normally I'd play on hard, but FF1 was so unforgiving that I have doubts. Too hard I probably can deal with, though. After all, I tolerated FF1! But too easy,.. no, just no. That completely kills the game's potential to be spooky.

P.S. Additionally I'd be very thankful is someone could tell me how to enable hard mode without having played through the game first. I wanted to try out the beginning on both normal and hard, but hard mode is not available.

#2 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

Lingering Shadow

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,128 posts
  • Location日上山

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:42 AM

From my experience and what I can still remember from my first run years ago, FF2 is the easiest compared to 1 and 3 no matter what version you play. A game being not hard doesn't mean it wont be scary.

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

#3 OFFLINE   Adda

Adda

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:22 AM

Thanks for sharing your opinion. For me, though, a game being not hard does mean it won't be scary. I've had quite a few disappointments already with horror games by picking wrong difficulty.

Also, I found this alarming passage in one review, it's a comparison with FF1:

In this new game, the challenge of battles has been eliminated completely. Instead of holding the camera on the ghost for a period of time to charge up a meter, all you have to do is get close to it. This gets rid of any challenge. (...) Film and health are easy to find, unlike the original. Because of this lack of challenge, the atmosphere of the game diminishes.

The same person writes this in FF1 review, though:

Also, the nightmare difficulty is not nearly as hard to play through as one would be led to believe.

Haha! And so I get a feeling that his evaluation of FF2 wouldn't be accurate for me, either...

Edited by Adda, 09 March 2015 - 06:28 AM.

#4 ONLINE   MacabrelleEnvy

MacabrelleEnvy

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 412 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques and Cafe

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:50 AM

I think you have to play through on normal first to unlock hard mode, then on hard to unlock nightmare mode.

#5 OFFLINE   Homuranagi

Homuranagi

RED CHILLI HOT PEPPER????

• Crazy Noisy Bizarre Admin
  • 422 posts
  • LocationDuwang Town

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:30 AM

^ Yes, unfortunately, you do.

Hard and Nightmare modes are basically a huge misnomer, to be honest. They aren't really any harder than any of the other modes, because... the others aren't hard to begin with - a bit like "Ghosts Have Sort of More Health Than Normal Mode" mode. Mio has something like 60% less health (75% less on Nightmare), though you probably won't even notice. You can quite comfortably breeze through the entire thing on any mode in a couple of hours using only Type 07, though you will most likely have to switch to Type 14 for the Kusabi if you're playing Nightmare because his health regenerates too quickly for 07 to deal with, even using lenses. What this means is that you will never, ever feel pressed for film, since 07 is unlimited, which will instantly take out a chunk of the tension before you even hit battles (sure, you could restock 14 infinitely in the first game, but you could still easily run out since it maxed at 30 and you had to make a nervous trip to a save point, whereas 07 just does not run out). Even Fatal mode on the Xbox isn't a challenge at all except for one section, maybe two, because 2 has more medicine and healing items than you could ever hope to use combined with very simple combat and ghosts who don't do a whole lot. It seems like too many people said that they found 1 hard, so they flipped to the other extreme, got over cautious in the quest for accessibility and just made it way too easy.

Your attack drops from 0.8 on Normal to 0.5 on Hard and 0.3 on Nightmare and your health drops by about 45% between Normal and Nightmare. Ghost appearance rate may well also go up, though this might apply to the Wii version only. Honestly, you probably won't notice that much of a change, except that fights take longer on higher difficulties and become a matter of slow chipping unless you use your (incredibly plentiful supply of) more powerful film. Which hardly feels like a waste since there's so much.

So yes, if you go into 2 expecting a challenge like 1 then you will undoubtedly be disappointed. The drop really is considerable. If you need games to be difficult for them to scare you, or get bored quickly if combat is fairly simple, you may well not like playing 2 that much at all unless you decide you love the story. If you're in it for the gameplay and don't care much about the story then you will very likely not enjoy this. It's worth a try, though, at least - and there's always 3 on Hard and Nightmare. They actually are hard work.

• Emi likes this

AAHOrHo.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame II, Hints, Gameplay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users