Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
Eisenalex : (11 July 2017 - 07:54 PM) I actually don't mind those joints. Makes her look like a puppet, haha.
Eisenalex : (11 July 2017 - 07:54 PM) Mai Shiranui: The flower that bloomed in King of Puppets.
asagi : (11 July 2017 - 08:29 PM) when will the day where have fatal frame figures come ?
Eisenalex : (11 July 2017 - 08:31 PM) Figmas of the boss ghosts would be nice.
midwinter : (11 July 2017 - 08:32 PM) if we got FF nendroids i think i'd regress to my days of playing with toys again
asagi : (11 July 2017 - 08:34 PM) oh yes
Eisenalex : (11 July 2017 - 08:36 PM) A Sae nendoroid with the Kusabi as an accessory would be fun.
Eisenalex : (11 July 2017 - 08:39 PM) I remember the Mami nendoroid (Madoka Magica) having something similar, so it wouldn't be too far-fetched.
Rheo : (12 July 2017 - 06:28 PM) I just noticed that there's a Group name in our profile. Is that new?
midwinter : (13 July 2017 - 11:00 AM) The "Spirited Aways" thing? Nope, not new
midwinter : (13 July 2017 - 11:01 AM) It's just a fancy name for members
Zuhna : (13 July 2017 - 11:23 AM) I would buy all FF nendo's.
Rheo : (13 July 2017 - 04:28 PM) ah that okay, yeah maybe i'm confused
Rheo : (13 July 2017 - 04:53 PM) So... it's her. O_O
asagi : (14 July 2017 - 08:53 PM) https://www.twitch.tv/asagi_watermelon streaming FF4 if anyone wants to watch
Eisenalex : (14 July 2017 - 09:20 PM) I'm watching.
asagi : (14 July 2017 - 10:13 PM) thanks for watching  :icon_asagi:
Eisenalex : (14 July 2017 - 10:26 PM) Choushiro is one of my favourite characters from FF, so it was nice to see that chapter.
Rheo : (18 July 2017 - 10:32 AM) this forum is so quiet :c
AnimalLover4... : (22 July 2017 - 07:24 PM) Good for spoooookkkkkyyyyy ghosts to sneak in.

Photo

Do you have faith in the Hollywood Film?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

Vampire Slayer in Training

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationSunnydale

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:01 PM

If you think bout it, Fatal Frame isn't that hard to mess up or hard to understand the structure of the story from the games. They all have a similar formula.

-something happens before the story takes place
-protagonist enters haunted/cursed location (ether its for the lolz or has a solid reason to go)
-protagonist obtains the camera somehow (unless if the protagonist doesn't already have it)

-protagonist finds out the place is haunted/cursed (or already knows about it but goes anyway)
-protagonist finds out how to put an end to it
-protagonist lives or dies in the end after lifting the curse or possibly fails to do so

-END-

After reading so many negative comments about the Japanese film from Yahoo films JP I felt like maybe I should leave my hopes for the Hollywood film instead. I do plan on buying it when the Blu Ray comes out but maybe when its on sale or something due to no interest since the teaser came out. People make Hollywood sound like the bad guy not having original ideas making games into movies. I'm pretty sure the Japanese think the same about their films. Recent Japanese horror films have been terrible as of late with the only better one in recent years being the Juon reboot "Juon The Beginning of The End", not scary no but it was decent at least with a solid plot. The Director of the Japaneses film made those Sadako 3D films happen which I seriously find them to be horrible and a waste of time. I did like the Another live action so there is still some hope there.

As for the Hollywood film, I would like to see more and hope it actually happens unlike the previous cancelled film by DreamWorks. I would like a teaser at least within 2 years from now. I have faith in the Hollywood film. I wouldn't mind if they put some blood and gore because we've seen it in at least once in every game (especially in 5). I'm also interested in how they are going to present the ghosts to us onscreen and how they will be using the camera in the film. I also would like to see if they will add some original ideas or make up their own formula that would work better for a film. THat would be pretty cool.

So thats just my two cents. I do have faith in it. How about you guys?

Edited by ナガクラ, 12 February 2015 - 08:03 PM.

• Shisei no koe likes this

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

#2 OFFLINE   Yashuu

Yashuu

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 309 posts
  • LocationNaked under a haori

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:36 PM

My hopes are pretty rock bottom since the producer is the same guy who gave us the resident evil and silent hill films, and thus let a travesty like SH: Revelations happened (The RE movies are awful but at least they're fun, and the first SH film was decent until it got into the culty nonsense). I honestly just can't see it turning out well at all.

I really enjoyed the 30 min we got of the japanese movie on the livestream though. The cinematography and camerawork is lovely and really well done- something which the series deserves considering its fixed angles and cutscenes have probably shown the best understanding of the power of composition in gaming- and it's got that same beautiful-creepy the games have had going on since FF2. I hope it doesn't fall apart later on, just like the book, but most of the reviews I saw were pretty positive.

ZR9JeXg.gif
i will jiggle into your soul

#3 OFFLINE   TomoChan

TomoChan

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 274 posts
  • LocationChamber of Thorns

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:57 AM

I'll give it a chance. I mean I've unfortunately watched all Resident Evil movies >.>...I thought the Silent Hill ones weren't too bad. But they can't keep the same story in a sense as the game itself. Cause we would already know what was going to happen and when. I still would like to see the Japanese one as well.

a80Suw0.png

#4 OFFLINE   MacabrelleEnvy

MacabrelleEnvy

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 396 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques and Cafe

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:21 PM

At this point I think i'm just hoping that it doesn't suck horribly. I want it to be amazing, because I know it can be! But.. My hopes and faith are pretty low especially as others have said, the director/producer/whatever doesn't have a very impressive portfolio. I vote we petition Guillermo del Toro to hurry up with Silent Hills and get him on the hollywood movie!

#5 OFFLINE   PrinceShiro

PrinceShiro

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:33 PM

I'm scared of how it may go. Honestly, I fear it'll end up not like the Fatal Frame that I know. Really, I'm just hoping it has the same general plots elements and such, like the camera obscura, shinto rituals, and taking place in Japan.
I'd hate it if they tried to change it, and have it take place in America or something, or have no CO. But, I'll give it a chance, it might actually be good. Besides, this movie is giving me hope of FF5 coming out in the west, so... I have faith.

#6 OFFLINE   SeventhSin

SeventhSin

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:37 PM

I'm a little iffy about it, but I think that if they take the same care with Fatal Frame as they did with Silent Hill (the first movie) then I'm sure it'll turn out alright. The first Silent Hill movie is one of the best game-to-movie adaptations I've ever seen (in my opinion, anyway) so if they put in the same degree of ideas and detail that the games have, then I'm sure they'll come up with something great. For the intricate experience they might aim for a 'grudge' type of feel where an american goes into a japanese *cursed* location looking for spooky stuff, finding spooky stuff then getting trapped there? Like a scenario from the first game when the SH movie was based off the first game, I could see it being a similar story to Miku looking for her brother, but with the protagonist of the FF hollywood movie being about another kind of relationship--like a friend, lover, co-worker, sibling, family, etc.

I'm on the edge about it being good or not, but we'll just have to wait and see what news comes along eventually. Ideally I'd love them to have some intricate storytelling in the film like that of what they have in the games, but it might be hard to get the same experience in an hour and a half/two hour movie where they won't get away with reading a couple dozen journals, diaries, documents and such to explain the backstory of each ghost and how they died. That's part of the allure that got me so interested in Fatal Frame, so let's see what they come up with for the movie. They'll probably have only a handful of re-occuring ghosts, a bunch of minor ghosts that aren't totally relevant aside from fear-factor, and the main antagonist that they'll have thrown in for the main story and it's tragic end.

We should just collaboratively come up with a list of ideas and send em' along to the hollywood crew and see what happens. Heh.

Edited by SeventhSin, 11 March 2015 - 05:42 PM.

7JIfQui.gif

RIP Monty Oum - 02/01/15
Your inspirational influence won't soon be forgotten.

#7 OFFLINE   calne

calne

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 203 posts
  • LocationHikamiyama

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:17 AM

Honestly? No way in hell.
I haven't seen a single good movie adaption to date - and as a crowned king of ultimate failures lies adaption of one of my favorite video game series, Silent Hill. So no, I don't have faith in hollywood game to movie adaptions.
Besides that, I really don't like hollywood movies in first place, they are always so rushed, try too much and overall just same. Of course there is some exceptions, but in general that is my opinion.

Edited by calne, 21 March 2015 - 08:18 AM.

yuri.gif
hi i used to be beni kthxbye

#8 OFFLINE   MacabrelleEnvy

MacabrelleEnvy

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 396 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques and Cafe

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:34 AM

I think by now my only hope is that the delay in new information means they are waiting to officially announce the movie release alongside a game release *crosses fingers* !!!

#9 OFFLINE   Neon

Neon

Unknown Victim

• Spirited Aways
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:04 PM

Hollywood is perfectly capable at horror (e.g. The Purge, Cabin in the Woods, The Conjuring, It Follows) and I'll always respect their industry for pioneering slashers.

#10 OFFLINE   koko

koko

Lost Twin

• Administrators
  • 150 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:46 PM

I'm skeptical, but still hopeful. I guess I can't stop thinking it'll turn out like the American version of One Missed Call. The American version was just... Ugh. Not worth watching at all. However, the American version of The Grudge is far better than the Japanese one, so let's hope it follows the same path. I hope they keep the Japanese setting, though.

We shouldn't forget about the advertising video they made for Spirit Camera. Still not better than the Japanese one, but if I remember correctly it was still well made?
  • Chrysalis likes this

#11 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of Chuck Cunningham Syndrome.

• Spirited Aways
  • 664 posts
  • LocationThe Red Room.

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:16 AM

We shouldn't forget about the advertising video they made for Spirit Camera. Still not better than the Japanese one, but if I remember correctly it was still well made?

Yeah, the Western advertisement trailer was really good for a 5-6 minute thing.  Although it's much more easy to make something high quality in atmosphere if it's short than if it's a full length movie I think.

Edited by Mickie&Minnie98, 15 September 2015 - 12:16 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   Neon

Neon

Unknown Victim

• Spirited Aways
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:21 AM

I'm skeptical, but still hopeful. I guess I can't stop thinking it'll turn out like the American version of One Missed Call. The American version was just... Ugh. Not worth watching at all. However, the American version of The Grudge is far better than the Japanese one, so let's hope it follows the same path. I hope they keep the Japanese setting, though.

How about the American version of 'The Ring' as well? That far surpassed Ringu and was on level with the novel. 

#13 OFFLINE   Chou no Miko

Chou no Miko

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 28 posts
  • LocationRichmond Canada

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:16 AM

Given the track record of the adaptatoins of Japanese horror films?...not sure. Honestly. I feel this could go either way.

#14 OFFLINE   Yashuu

Yashuu

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 309 posts
  • LocationNaked under a haori

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:32 PM

At this point I'm losing faith it will happen at all, where is the news!?  :icon_fallenwoman:

ZR9JeXg.gif
i will jiggle into your soul

#15 OFFLINE   Chrysalis

Chrysalis

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 79 posts
  • LocationThrough the Looking Glass

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:12 PM

At this point I'm losing faith it will happen at all, where is the news!?  :icon_fallenwoman:

Waiting is half the battle. D:

I remember years ago when I saw the first few seconds of a trailer for The Grudge I thought "IS THAT IT?" And then it became very very clear it was not.

.... Man, a Hollywood film has been rumored for that long?

Such order in the midst of chaos makes me woozy and disoriented.

#16 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationSunnydale

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:30 PM

here (thank NiksKozukata)
https://twitter.com/...058864365047808

• Yashuu and NiksKozukata like this

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

#17 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,085 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:31 PM

Huh, interesting. I think part of me must believe this is never, ever going to happen, because both times Shibata's confirmed it's still ongoing I've been surprised! But good to know, nevertheless. I hope there's some sort of official announcement soon.

#18 OFFLINE   GreekShadow

GreekShadow

Jelly Bisquit

• Spirited Aways
  • 232 posts
  • LocationGreece/Athens

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:48 PM

What if they are targeting the "west-audience" this time with FF6 and they are waiting to reveal both of them at the same time just like it happened in 2014. :thinking:

tumblr_mayvegYZYE1rnbk4so1_400.gif

#19 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationSunnydale

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:37 AM

I hope not. I dont want things like 2014 to happen again in general. I dont want them to rush a film's development and production just so they could make a "deadline" to be released around the same time as a game. Then again, Western films have a different development cycle then Japanese films do and dont get made just as fast ether. The Uncharted film still hasn't started filming yet but they expect it to be out in March of next year. The new Power Rangers film was supposed to be out this year but got pushed back another year. The American Death Note film has been in development hell for 10 years and just recently got news dropping left and right only to be changed to a NetFlix production (and back in development hell when it was planned to have a release next year).

If they do then I wonder how they'll handle both. A FF game with Western protagonists in a Japanese setting like Siren Blood Curse and the movie doing the same thing like the first two American Grudge films (fan of the first film though)? I'm not against both ideas but a bilingual Fatal Frame game sounds interesting to shake things up. If it doesn't work then I can imagine them going back to an all Asian perspective.

Edited by ナガクラ, 06 June 2016 - 06:42 AM.

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

#20 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Queen of the Passion

• Haori Inspector
  • 737 posts
  • LocationThe dance floor

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:45 PM

I hope not. I dont want things like 2014 to happen again in general. I dont want them to rush a film's development and production just so they could make a "deadline" to be released around the same time as a game.

What about the Japanese film was rushed?  It seemed like they knew what they were doing and timed everything right.

They'll likely turn their focus to the Hollywood movie after they finish with the Resident Evil films, which are scheduled to end in January next year and usually do pretty well financially.  Two video game adaptations at once by the same team might distract one from the other, so waiting could improve the chances of ours getting the right care and attention.  As for faith in the film, I'm going to keep my expectations low, but I would be happy with anything along the lines of The Forest.  However bad it might be, we'll still have the Japanese movie, which was more than I'd hoped for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users