Anyone trying to register a new account:

The forums are currently being targeted by spambots, so new registrations will have to be manually approved by an admin. I'll try to check the list at least once a day, but if you want to be approved more quickly, or if you've been falsely marked as a spammer, please message elwing.alcyone at Gmail.

- midwinter

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
midwinter : (24 January 2019 - 05:16 PM) i never would have thought of trying to edit it if you hadn't brought it up
GregZerO : (27 January 2019 - 02:24 AM) glad i did :P
GregZerO : (27 January 2019 - 02:42 AM) Also for some reason BCL according to my antivirus pc or something is not a secure page  :thinking:
GregZerO : (27 January 2019 - 02:42 AM) and its weird cause 99% of the pages on he internet are "secure"
GregZerO : (04 March 2019 - 11:10 PM) https://www.youtube....h?v=jDadONMsXjw
GregZerO : (04 March 2019 - 11:10 PM) amano's new song doesn't sound bad
GregZerO : (04 March 2019 - 11:14 PM) and the video is like a fan singing koe or something lel
midwinter : (05 March 2019 - 02:24 PM) ooh, i like it
midwinter : (05 March 2019 - 02:25 PM) it sounds more like her old stuff
GregZerO : (05 March 2019 - 08:19 PM) indeed,I hope someone will upload the full version soon
GregZerO : (05 March 2019 - 08:20 PM) mid how are ur japanese going?
Tigermausbaer : (20 March 2019 - 10:22 AM) Hello everyone! :)
Rheo : (14 April 2019 - 10:10 AM) Hi!
Rui Kurosawa : (20 April 2019 - 01:50 AM) Hi!
TheJake : (31 May 2019 - 09:27 PM) In FF4, are spirit points only used for the shop?  It seems like you just need these crystals for upgrades, but I'm not 100% sure. :P
Kicksville : (02 June 2019 - 01:29 PM) The save point shop and the post-game shop after you're done (for costumes and such)
suprimeking : (24 June 2019 - 12:40 PM) anyone here
suprimeking : (10 July 2019 - 11:11 AM) discord is acting up on me again
Gbarchetta : (28 July 2019 - 06:20 PM) Urgh, I want a new entry in the series :(
Jamie : (28 July 2019 - 07:29 PM) Same here :C

Photo
- - - - -

If Yae had come back in time...

Fatal Frame II Yae Kurosawa

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:22 AM

This came up in the shoutbox, and I was curious about people's opinions, because I don't think I've ever seen it discussed before. If Yae had made it back to the village and performed the ritual with Sae (assuming it was successful), what do you think would have happened to her afterwards? Would she have been killed for betraying the village, or locked up like Itsuki, or left alone?

I tend to think they wouldn't kill her outright. Being the Ceremony Master's daughter and the Remaining who saved the village would probably buy her some goodwill, and I think Ryokan would have mentioned it if he only wanted her to come back so they could kill her. Whether she was free or locked up would probably depend on her behaviour, and whether she showed signs of wanting to help other twins escape, but honestly I think that, having performed the ritual successfully herself, she'd come around to her father's point of view.

I'm not sure she'd ever get as far as becoming Ceremony Master herself, though that could be quite interesting. :thinking:

#2 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 822 posts
  • LocationThe white sands of limbo

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:32 AM

I think being a successful Remaining would improve her chances as well.  I could see the villagers ignoring her completely, leaving her to herself as punishment.  Maybe she'd take to one place and wither away like Kureha, or go mad like the ghost in the Storehouse.  I never thought of her filling Ryokan's position though, that would be cool.

#3 OFFLINE   Eiko82

Eiko82

High School Student

• Spirited Aways
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:34 AM

I think that if she had returned and successfully completed the ritual, she would've been locked away aftewards, never allowed to interact with other people again. She might've saved the village but I think Ryokan would want to avoid her giving other twins any ideas. So he'd lock her away far from sight. Maybe even tell people that she died of grief and let her wither away all alone.

Which ghost went mad in the Storehouse? I don't remember.

kuontag.png

#4 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 822 posts
  • LocationThe white sands of limbo

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:30 AM

There's a hidden ghost in the attic of a Remaining (144).  If she were locked away, the irony of Itsuki helping her only to recreate his own punishment is pretty...dark, especially if in his own cell.  Fic potential?

#5 OFFLINE   FiliusMartis

FiliusMartis

Kagome, Kagome Player

• Administrators
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:36 PM

I think this depends on a variety of factors, but most important would probably at what point she returned. Has Sae already been caught? Is Itsuki already dead? If she came back before Sae was caught, I think she'd have a better chance because it would look voluntary. Performing the ritual of her own free will would certainly be looked on better than showing up after Sae had been taken away and seemingly forced. Likewise, Yae would certainly have respect as a Remaining, but if she was viewed as the cause of another Remaining's death, suicide or not, it would almost certainly count against her.

Wasn't there something in one of the books that suggested all Remaining end up going to the storehouse? I would have sworn I read that somewhere, but I can't think of where. It could have just been nonsense. Anyway.

What harm could she really do at that point? If she and Sae did a successful ritual, it would be about ten years of silence, I should think. She would have ten years to come to terms with things, and regardless of what normally happens to Remaining, I like to think Ryokan would keep her with him simply because he understands. I see a lot of potential for father/daughter bonding there. It's hard to tell how old he is, especially since the white hair could be a result of his being a Remaining rather than his age, but he seems healthy enough that he'd most likely be alive in ten years to preside over the next ritual, so even then, when Yae became potentially dangerous (i.e. sympathetic enough to help the new twins escape,) I think Ryokan would protect her. If he weren't around, however, I don't think things would go well for her. I can certainly see her locked up the second her father was gone.

#6 Guest_Haise_*

Guest_Haise_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:04 PM

1. I think she would have been killed, because many conservative countries view betrayal as a great sin, bringing shame to the family and keeping her alive would be dangerous. She could just decide to screw them (part-takers/viewers of the ritual) over last minute, making the ritual fail. She probably would not care about herself (she would want to die instead of killing Sae), and she would not care about others, because that's what happens when you are 120% angry at people, without logically thinking. 

2. She would have been locked away for forever as punishment, and she eventually dies alone. Same outcome, maybe even worse.

If she does a successfull ritual (which I don't think is possible), she would have been either locked away or spared, but always having guards with her, because of the possibility of helping other twins.

#7 OFFLINE   FiliusMartis

FiliusMartis

Kagome, Kagome Player

• Administrators
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:49 AM

The original stipulation was that she come back and do the ritual properly, and in that case, she would become a living deity of sorts. Remaining seem to be exceptions to a lot of things. After all, they didn't kill Itsuki for helping the Kurosawa twins escape, and he was a failed Remaining. And why wouldn't her ritual succeed? It certainly seems to have succeeded in canon.

#8 Guest_Haise_*

Guest_Haise_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:23 PM

She was expected to complete the ritual before she and Sae decided to run for the hills. If she is forced to do the ritual after she gets dragged back along with Sae, I don't think she would be willing to do it, because she would be very upset and disturbed (therefore not thinking logically) and she could easily decide to not do it and kill everyone (since the ritual fails), because at that point she is either killed (if she doesn't do the ritual) or Sae is sacrificed and she probably spends her remaining years in a cell or she could just doom everyone by not doing the ritual since this is just as bad as the other options.

They didn't kill Itsuki because he was not the son of the Leader family (therefore his betrayal is not as big of a sin as Yae's) and he was not killed because the village was running out of time so they had to do the ritual and they had no time to execute Itsuki before that. 

Also, he helped the current sacrifice and the "sacrificer" escape, but he was not the core person required for the ritual. Yae and Sae were much more important.

#9 OFFLINE   FiliusMartis

FiliusMartis

Kagome, Kagome Player

• Administrators
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:00 AM

They had time to execute Itsuki if they had time to catch him and lock him up. Also, Sae and Yae are the daughters of the Ceremony Master, not Itsuki.

Regardless, you're not accounting for the fact that Yae might change her mind once she found out Sae was willing to throw herself down a ravine and allow them to be caught rather than not perform the ritual. She would also have to consider the ramifications of her actions, which I don't think she did. When Sae returns and finds Itsuki dead, she understands that what they are doing is going to kill people. Remember Yae wasn't accepting of the appentance. Her whole argument against the ritual was that she didn't believe people needed to be sacrificed to the abyss. Obviously, she would have noticed all the omens, but that is quite difference than seeing it start to happen. If she became aware of the immediacy of the situation, if she saw what would happen, that would also give her reason to reconsider. Would Yae really kill the entire village because of the acts of the priests? Even the children? Even Chitose?

On that subject, how do you think Yae might act in regards to Itsuki's death. In a way, he would have been her most likely companion and the only one who could understand what she was going through, but he was dead by the time Sae got back. I thought she might kill herself once she found out that Itsuki was dead. I can't imagine they would tell her before the ritual. But then I thought about Chitose. She would have lost both of her brothers, who seemed to have taken care of her, at least with Itsuki's bell rescue plan. Might Yae feel compelled to step in for Chitose? Would she even be allowed to? If the families are split and have to maintain certain branches, Yae would have had to get married at some point.

#10 OFFLINE   Emi

Emi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 516 posts
  • LocationSomewhere with a camera...

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:26 PM

I think Yae would have survived to be honest. As pointed out, she has the factor's of being the leading family's daughter, as far as we know besides her dad (since Itsuki is dead) one of the few remaining left 'alive' in the village - which as fM says makes her a living diety, she's just performed the ritual to ease the abyss.

Her flight would have been seen as human fear and struggle of her duty, but one she ultimately choose to do. I don't think she would be punished for that. I think Itsuki would honestly be given more of the blame (since he died), as being an evil influence on Sae & Yae's actions. It could even be pointed out that the outsiders (Munakata & Seijiro), also influenced the girls' decisions and corrupted them.

I'm also on the side of Yae not completely knowing the consequences of her actions. The whole ritual is normally very hush hush, so I don't think the girls' were even completely aware that not performing it would in fact destroy the village. (especially since they have witnessed a ritual 'fail' - Itsuki & Mutsuki, and nothing happened. Yes, the earthquakes may have been more frequent, but they were already used to that in their perceived worldview.

I'm not sure I think Yae would kill herself due to Itsuki's death. That's implying there was a lot more between them than just childhood friends. (No offense to people who ship them! :) ) I think it would effect her, but I'm not sure his death alone would drive her to suicide. (tbh if she killed herself after she returned it would be to be with Sae more than having to do with Itsuki's death imop)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame II, Yae Kurosawa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users