Signups for the 2017 Christmas Exchange are open! Come and join us for spooky festive gifts!

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
midwinter : (08 November 2017 - 03:29 PM) Ok, playing with headphones is definitely superior
midwinter : (08 November 2017 - 03:31 PM) I knew the music in Rei's house changed after Miku's chapters start but I never noticed it has these little bumps and rustles that make it sound like something's moving in the house
midwinter : (08 November 2017 - 05:41 PM) also there is more ghost talk during Kei's phone call!
midwinter : (08 November 2017 - 05:41 PM) i couldn't hear most of it, though, I need to listen again
Hex : (08 November 2017 - 06:12 PM) Yesss, headphones.  I think you can hear doors being closed in Rei's house too.
Hex : (09 November 2017 - 01:03 PM) Damn, I didn't know they were closing down the miiverse until too late.  My screenshots.  :(
midwinter : (09 November 2017 - 01:40 PM) Argh, no backups? That sucks :(
Hex : (09 November 2017 - 01:48 PM) On the bright side, I still have an album full of pretty scenery and Hisoka looking confused.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) Nintendo shouldn't have shut down Miiverse.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) People loved it.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) And they should have incorporated it onto the Switch.
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:51 AM) Finally finished TEW2, t'was excellent.
GreekShadow : (12 November 2017 - 05:14 AM) I'm glad you enjoed it Hex!How was it comparing to the first one though(,which i personally disliked)?
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:11 PM) I've only played the first for a few hours (didn't like it much either), but it was a big improvement.  The gameplay is fun, the stealth works a lot better, the open world map isn't too big but there's sidequests (one with a cool ghost lady!) and some interesting things to do.
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:17 PM) I was really impressed with the story since it was one of the things that put me off the first. The last 20 minutes were so good, definitely one of the best endings I've seen in awhile.
Daz Hinasaki : (12 November 2017 - 07:17 PM) Hey guys I'm finishing fatal frame 1 on my twitch channel tonight! :) love you to join me https://www.twitch.tv/chunzbunz
GreekShadow : (13 November 2017 - 05:36 AM) oh sounds cool thank you hex!And for me also the story of the first one put me off,glad the second one is better
Hex : (16 November 2017 - 12:01 PM) TIL: ghost marriage is actually practiced in China.   :staffsan:
Rheo : (16 November 2017 - 12:13 PM) O_O
Rheo : (16 November 2017 - 12:13 PM) oh yeah there's a local movie here called The Ghost Bride and the actress playing that is half-Chinese

Photo
- - - - -

Poll: Disasters and Curses

Opinion Fandom

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll: Disasters and Curses (26 member(s) have cast votes)

Which disaster is your favourite?

1. Voted The Calamity (6 votes [23.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

2. The Repentance (7 votes [26.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.92%

3. The Unleashing (6 votes [23.08%] - View)

4. The Day Without Suffering (6 votes [23.08%] - View)

5. Tokoyomi Ritual failure (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. The Mt. Hikami massacre (1 votes [3.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

Which curse is your favourite?

1. Voted The Strangling Curse (4 votes [15.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

2. The Tattoo Curse (13 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Blooming (5 votes [19.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

4. Woman in Black's Curse (1 votes [3.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

5. Yomi Nure (3 votes [11.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Lighthouse Climber

• Haori Inspector
  • 777 posts
  • LocationZero Stage

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:57 PM

As the games unfold the mystery of all the rituals, curses and hauntings, I was wondering which you guys enjoyed the most?  Which disaster seemed like the worst to get caught in, which curse do you find the most interesting and scary?  Talk about them all or just the few that stand out, it's up to you.

#2 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,124 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:33 PM

Favourite disaster:

I went with the Unleashing, because it's slow-moving and yet unstoppable. It trips all my "creeping apocalypse" switches. I love the idea of the Kuze family exhausting all their options, closing off the manor, sacrificing all the carpenters, unable to leave or do anything except wait for everything to fall into the Rift. It still gives me the shivers even now.

My second favourite in both categories is probably the Day Without Suffering and Blooming, because I find the attitude to Blooming in FF4 really fascinating. It's a source of terror and taboo, but on some level people are also attracted to it. Even the name reflects the weird duality - it's a disaster that wipes out the island's population, but it sounds pleasant.

Favourite curse:

The Woman in Black's curse! I just... really like the progression of it, for some reason. It's a nice change from, "Oh no, my body is changing, soon I will die!" I like the idea of finding the diary and then dreaming of the manor, and there's a lot of variation in how it manifests, so you can imagine it working differently for different people. It has the same kind of isolating effect as the Tattooed Curse, but in itself it's not actually fatal! The Woman in Black doesn't hurt you until you try to escape. So again it depends a lot on the person. Someone like Shiori, who can't stand the psychological effects, will do anything to try to escape, and end up dying pretty quickly, but then you've got Akira, who's pretty cunning - in Another Story it's implied he's actually sending other kids to the Woman in Black to keep himself safe, and because he's good at hiding he manages to survive a very long time before she gets him. And the Old Woman is even more interesting - she's responsible for Maya's suffering, so you'd think she would have been one of the first to get her face mutilated, but nope, actually the Woman in Black keeps her around all that time, and doesn't harm her until she starts talking about the ritual to Maya and the player. So yeah, I think there's a lot of scope for interesting stories there.

I know it sounds like I just rank things based on how much I want to read fic about them, but, uh... okay, that's pretty much exactly how I do it.

#3 OFFLINE   Homuranagi

Homuranagi

RED CHILLI HOT PEPPER????

• Crazy Noisy Bizarre Admin
  • 422 posts
  • LocationDuwang Town

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:34 PM

For favourite... Going with both of 1's, strangling and... strangling... and it's not entirely nostalgia-based, I swear. I mean, go take a look at Takamine being crucified on that ceiling. I also just like the kind of mysterious way the ropes show up (with that PING noise) and having your body basically torn apart with these ghost ropes sounds... nasty. I don't really have any favourite disaster, they're mostly equal, but I like the sheer simultaneous mass chaos that breaks out all over the mansion and it's just more ominous than Sae and Kusabi sauntering about giving people paper cuts in a rather small radius. Also, Female Head. And beheaded priests with swords sticking out of them.

The Unleashing probably wins in terms of worst to get caught in, though. You don't even get the luxury of being beheaded - suffering from the pains of this ghost tattoo (and having your eye burnt out by darkness, what) until finally you either succumb or get impaled, knowing that the thing is slowly approaching and will inevitably get you, has to be worse. And at least if you get the rope curse you can figure out what's going on and it's quick. The tattoo one goes on for ages and no one else can see it so they all just think you're going mad, until you turn to soot and die! :)

AAHOrHo.gif

#4 OFFLINE   detertake

detertake

Missing Person

• Spirited Aways
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:30 AM

It's not like The Calamity itself is my favourite disaster but there's one small detail about it what makes it so enjoyable. It's Himuro Family Master who goes on a killing spree after it. Imagine yourself a survivor of The Calamity. You survived it all only to be killed by a madman. It's such a comforting thought after all.

The Getsuyuu Syndrome is the worst of curses/diseases here. Not only you are slowly becoming a vegetable but you are also completely unaware to your state beyond  miserable. And thanks to the final stage of the disease, Blooming, you won't be left in peace even after your death. Well, thanks for that, this is exactly what I want to experience in the afterlife.

• Chrysalis likes this

#5 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Lighthouse Climber

• Haori Inspector
  • 777 posts
  • LocationZero Stage

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:18 AM

I initially picked The Day Without Suffering for how quiet it's presented.  It's ensured 2 years in advance so all anyone can do is await the inevitable with Sakuya's presence sending ripples of paranoia across the island; Magaki descends into madness through his art, Shie becomes fixated on the door, the Mourning Shrine guard is obsessed with cutting off her face, etc. and when it does arrive, there's something still about it.  The flashbacks are in black and white, there's barely any sound and it's not a traditional massacre because there's no blood or violence at all.  The idea of being trapped in the tunnels with Sakuya calmly advancing towards you, reducing you to nothing as opposed to ripping you apart, I find a lot creepier.

That being said, I love the domino effect that leads to The Unleashing.  Everyone had a part to play, everyone suffers.  What happens to the Shrine Carpenters is so awful when you relive it, finding all those men cowering in cramped areas knowing it didn't help them to hide, Tengai and Yashuu showing genuine remorse makes it even worse.  It's on a larger scale and I love all the personal stories, like Kyouka and the Handmaidens, that get tangled up in it.

For the curse, I had to go with the tattoos for all the details in their design and preparation, but the themes associated with Blooming are up there, too.

#6 OFFLINE   Chrysalis

Chrysalis

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 82 posts
  • LocationThrough the Looking Glass

Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:35 PM

The Calamity is my favorite for similar reasons to detertake, You could actually survive the initial blast, but then find yourself on the run from a madman. I wonder if anyone made the mistake of approaching the family master to find out what happened, only to be killed instead. 

I voted for the Strangling Curse because being ripped apart just sounds horrible, but I kinda wish i had put Blooming instead. It was a neat approach to touching on the spread of illness, and knowing the carrier is wandering search of people and that you are trapped on a fairly small island is eerie to me. You have the illusion of being able to flee, but nowhere to really go. 

Such order in the midst of chaos makes me woozy and disoriented.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Opinion, Fandom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users