Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
AnimalLover4... : (29 August 2017 - 09:39 PM) How about you?
Kouta Koikawa : (05 September 2017 - 01:26 PM) I remember how this forum used to be active. That was many years ago. We need a new game to make the forum active again.
yamibito : (08 September 2017 - 11:29 AM) How about Fatal Frame Card Game?
yamibito : (08 September 2017 - 11:35 AM) Couldn't find anything about it here
yamibito : (08 September 2017 - 11:36 AM) But it exist, quite long
yamibito : (08 September 2017 - 11:36 AM) http://www.fourhman.com/fatalframe/
Eisenalex : (08 September 2017 - 09:05 PM) That card game looks so cool!
Rezz : (08 September 2017 - 09:46 PM) I c u, 2017 exchange
Eisenalex : (08 September 2017 - 10:11 PM) when do the exchanges usually start?
midwinter : (09 September 2017 - 02:28 PM) It varies, but usually around November
midwinter : (09 September 2017 - 02:28 PM) Last year started very late because I wasn't planning to run it but then changed my mind
midwinter : (09 September 2017 - 02:36 PM) Maybe will be earlier this year :3c
midwinter : (09 September 2017 - 02:52 PM) (To be clear, I didn't set up the forum this time, I'm assuming Hex did. So thank you, Hex!)
Eisenalex : (11 September 2017 - 10:39 PM) There's a Nintendo Direct coming.
Eisenalex : (11 September 2017 - 10:39 PM) I'm not holding my breath for it but a teaser for a new FF would be nice.
midwinter : (12 September 2017 - 08:39 PM) It would
midwinter : (12 September 2017 - 08:39 PM) It's happening pretty late at night here, so I doubt I'll stay up and watch it, but I'd be happy to wake up to news
Eisenalex : (13 September 2017 - 08:54 AM) Same for me. At least KT once stated that they have a little something in the works for the Switch and I doubt it'll only be FE: Warriors.
Eisenalex : (13 September 2017 - 10:57 PM) Now that was kinda disappointing. Didn't expect Doom and Wolfenstein. As expected, no FF news, unfortunately. I'm surprised that we didn't get a Smash 4 port announced or any news on Travis Strikes Back.
GreekShadow : (24 September 2017 - 01:19 PM) Did I loose something?Or TGS was too poor this year?Almost nothing new was announced for anything?

Photo

Favourite character

Fatal Frame V Opinion Fandom

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Lighthouse Climber

• Haori Inspector
  • 753 posts
  • LocationZero Stage

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:46 PM

Now that we know all about them, who is your favourite character/s from the bunch?  Which of the playable protagonists do you prefer?

I'd say mine are Yuuri, Hisoka and Ren.  I've always wanted them to dive into the otherness of people with a sixth sense, like Miku's loneliness in the face of people who don't understand, and the game kind of covers it with those 3.  They're all haunted by the things they see; Yuuri's flashback in particular was a good moment, as was her bond with Hisoka in general.  The theme of being alone works well with them, which makes for nicer endings when they choose each other.

I grew to like Miu a lot, too.  Her personality is kind of how I think people see Misaki?  She's distant, cold and determined, but as Yuuri points out, she's just as scared of being alone as everyone else, and goes as far to save other people later on, which is different from the usual protagonist we have.

#2 OFFLINE   Homuranagi

Homuranagi

RED CHILLI HOT PEPPER????

• Crazy Noisy Bizarre Admin
  • 422 posts
  • LocationDuwang Town

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:19 PM

Hisoka and Ren. Hisoka is obvious - it's Hisoka. Mysterious and kind lady who wears strange clothes and accessories and runs an antique cafe shop who also has mystical powers and is very much the lovely big sister person, interesting decor choices, quirks and hiding a dark past? Why isn't there more of her!? Ren was good and had a lot of potential that, naturally, they decided to waste on playing Ghost Security Team and hide and seek with possessed (?) Rui... and then you get to the final chapter and all of a sudden wow guys. All kinds of crazy memories, Asou ones at that. Plus I like his conversations with Rui. And he's not totally useless! And he SURVIVES! Plus I love his study, and all of the things Rui reveals about his hopelessness. All we need now is a proper book from him.

I didn't either like or dislike Yuuri, leaning towards liking her but still not quite there. Needs another little shove. I actually liked her a bit more from the previews. For some reason when I actually played the game I felt this complete disconnect towards her (most characters, in fact - the characters didn't do much for me in this game overall, even the ones I DO like felt flatter than I was expecting, I guess because no one really got proper time, and most of the info on everybody was what you already read in Famitsu anyway), which may well indeed be the fact that you spend so much time playing as her, with comparatively little time to interact with her yourself and get more info the way you do when you read about her. In the other games, 3 in particular, you have ample time for little comments or events that tell you what their lives are/were like, what they think etc., and in some cases a notebook with their actual thoughts in. Yuuri doesn't really have much of this at all. If you think about 3, when you play as Miku you experience things through her eyes, and then when you wake up you go back to being Rei and you can actually interact with Miku and not just observe things about her but get to know her better as a person, seeing the kind of front she puts on all the while knowing how hard it really is for her. When you aren't playing as Yuuri, she spends the entire time asleep, doing absolutely nothing, so the only real, incredibly short opportunity you get to spend any time with her outside of playing as her, when she's entirely focused on other people and therefore not commenting on herself, is when you have to actually rescue her. Remember when Rei would make comments about objects lying about the house and manage some actual character background just by looking at a table? None of that here. I felt like that was yet another missed opportunity. I would have much preferred to be able to talk to her and see how she reacts to it, what she says, what she thinks about everything... Does she stay quiet and prefer to be alone, does she try to offer encouragement and be positive despite her own outlook, or help out and talk to people despite being so averse to human contact... what? I don't know. She's just sleeping. Why is everyone always asleep!?

Something about her just felt sort of blank to me, even after the jump reveal and reading her notebooks. I never felt remotely connected to it. The main issue for me was that... I guess the other characters around me felt more like people I could talk to and find more about, whereas to me Yuuri felt... more like an avatar for getting around in the game map than actually someone I was actually playing as with her own person? This is... hard to explain. I think I tend to get to actually like characters based more on their own little quirks and personalities, and just finding out weird things about them like they take two sugars in their tea and are allergic to cats like any average person, than from their overall stories and how terribly sad everything is. Which probably has a lot to do with it. Sure, Miku had these awful things that happened to her, but what made me actually properly take to her was how she was always happy to help, liked handicrafts and made good onigiri. Yuuri's notebooks were interesting, but it didn't feel like enough. Not only is there not much of it, but I also would rather have seen it through the way she interacts with people and the environment and there isn't enough of that for me. Her comments when you use Voice on her is more like it - you can hear her saying things like how hesitant she is, how everyone is alone at the end, and how she thought she was cured - but it's too little too late, especially considering there are only two comments total, and you have to 100% the file list just to get them, not to mention that we've heard them already before. If Miu has mitori as well, why can't she use it on Yuuri to give me more info? (While I'm on the subject, do they even explain how/why she thought she was cured, and why/when it came back? I can't even remember if they did.) tl;dr less of the sad cutscene! More of the mundane person! Sure, she's traumatised for life by seeing dead people, but does she make little scented cushions!? (perhaps another way to expand Hisoka's business, you never know)

I can't even comment on whether or not I like Miu because she's... just forever tainted after the ridiculous bother they did with Miku and Mafuyu, not to mention how she's basically the unspoken perv magnet of the game. I can't look past any of that, and I don't think I ever will. She spends so much of the game either missing or asleep, and then when she finally shows up it turns out she's Mafuyu's goddamn daughter and she wants to steal my camera and wear no clothes and have flashbacks of a questionable nature and... I... sort of just want to forget about her and her entire family at this point. God. That storyline was painful in all the wrong ways.

Ouse (alive) is my favourite dead one, though (alive... dead one). I don't know why. There's nothing particular about her that really stands out, aside from being damn pretty and almost dead-marrying Asou, and they don't actually spend all that much time on her, but I like her a lot. I wish there were more notes about her.

Also, secondary vote for Asou, because have you seen the sobbing? The outfit? The everything? Asou.

AAHOrHo.gif

#3 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:43 PM

Of the main characters, I think probably Yuuri. I think they did a really fantastic job of showing her growth as a character as the game progresses, and her friendship with Hisoka is fast becoming one of my favourite things about the series, with the way their concerns weave together and the way they both depend on each other. The first chapter clearly shows both her inexperience and her trauma, which highlights the courage it takes for her to go up to the mountain on her own; I don't think any of the other protagonists show it in quite that way. And I love that there's this kind of complicated back and forth in her story - it's not just her chasing after someone she cares about so she can save them, she's just as eager to help people she's never met, and she needs saving herself, too. There's this pattern of reciprocity that builds up to her performing Mitori on Ouse in a way I found very satisfying.

I do like Miu as well, though I don't think her story was nearly as well handled. Fanservice aside (and it did make me very uncomfortable) I was enjoying the establishment of trust and understanding between her and Yuuri, and it was really interesting the way people kept trying to see into her and she kept turning it back on them. I would have loved to see more along those lines, but then came the Miku chapter and that all got dropped. So I guess I like her more for her potential, while heartily wishing the game hadn't taken her in the direction it did.

Out of the not main characters... I feel like I'm getting repetitive here, but Shiragiku! She turned out to be unexpectedly layered and I liked it. It helps that she didn't just play kids' games, and she didn't just sit around moping about her sad life; she's weirdly optimistic, I guess. I like that she took over as a little shepherdess of the lost kids, too, although I think Rui is probably a bit old to join their band.

#4 OFFLINE   TheWhiteRabbit

TheWhiteRabbit

Unknown Victim

• Spirited Aways
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:51 PM

Yuuri! I liked her a lot. I thought she was likeable (and I don't think that characters should always have to be likeable), emotionally strong, skillful in combat, and interesting to play as.

Though, I wish she were wearing pants. She knows it's gonna rain! Put a rain coat on haha. Seriously, though. She's not wearing pants. *Me to developers* "So... let's work on that."

I'm not too creeped out by Miu's origins haha... to be honest, as I was playing, I kind of knew (though we can't exactly confirm it; developers could be just messing with us!)

I will say this though, Mafuyu and Miku don't have a healthy relationship. I think it's interesting they put such a flaw in their character. I notice people are saying that FFV undoes everything that FFIII built for Miku. I don't think that's true. I love Miku. Not because she's cute, or because we've been with her so long... but because she is flawed. I'm not sure she really did have sex with her brother's ghost. I'm thinking it's more spiritual than sexual; either way, it's incredibly unhealthy. Secondly, we must consider how traumatized poor Miku is. We make poor choices when a series of events essentially victimizes us. It's still possible she didn't deal with her grief in FFIII as everyone suspected; Rei failed to save Miku.

Moreover, I think the writers are more to blame for constantly victimizing Miku. I understand this is a horror game. But, most of the series favors females for its victims. As much as I love the game, the writers do operate some of their characters with sexist attitudes (obviously). I don't think Miku is really so dumb as to intentionally leave her kid; or so helpless as to constantly get caught, over and over by various spirits. I think they may have written her a bit inconsistently. She may be traumatized and capable of flaws but after all this, she's got to be a more active survivor than she is portrayed, if that makes sense. However, during the first game Miku is young and the traumatizing events of FF, there are hormones: Oxytocin and other peptides that can work it's way into a repetitive obsessive feeling - I can't remember the other peptide but it makes you feel everything again and again. It's the hormone you feel when you finish watching a really amazing game or tv show, where you don't want it to end. When you undergo a terrible situation, these hormones can communicate very strongly with each other (as well as other hormones etc.). I think, given Miku's age, it is consistent that she would obsess over her first encounter and loosing her brother. Even to the point of unhealthy. However, I don't think that she, after surviving, would be so dis-empowered...

So, as this case shows, Miku is both my favorite and least favorite character portrayal of this game.

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit, 23 November 2014 - 08:56 PM.

#5 Guest_Haise_*

Guest_Haise_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:57 PM

Yuuri. Finally a heroine who is not the typical "girly-girl/screaming at the sight of a knife" type. She also had a lot more depth to her, with her continuing living even though the idea of death/loneliness is still in her head. How she tried her best to save others, even though she was afraid of communicating with them. Also, her character design is the best out of all heroines (except for Mayu). + Long, untied hair. Finally!

Hisoka. Lone wolf living in a dangerous area, helping others by killing ghosts/finding their loved ones, tea-freak, caring big sis (or more *wink wink*).

Blue is my fav colour, so thats a plus. And she is related to Rei. Another plus. Sadly we saw nothing of her past. Maybe next time.

Miu. I loved her desperation and general "can't stop won't stop" attitude. Her voice actor was pretty good too. Loved how she was the complete opposite of Yuuri. 

Shiragiku. Her story was so sad! Also white hair! Cute voice!

Shiragiku is love, Shiragiku is life.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame V, Opinion, Fandom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users