Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
midwinter : (14 June 2018 - 10:10 PM) all the rumours and stuff from the thread in the Fatal Frame News forum
midwinter : (14 June 2018 - 11:01 PM) Mr Johnny> I dunno what to say, dude. I'm sure no one wants you to feel tortured. But people shouldn't pretend to believe claims that sound really unlikely just because you're invested in it, either
midwinter : (14 June 2018 - 11:01 PM) I guess just... try not to take things so personally. It's not a reflection on you if people have doubts, it's just common sense
Chou : (15 June 2018 - 02:57 PM) No one is personally attacking you over the rumors, we just have doubts as there's been no other news and no other sources reporting anything
Mr Johnny : (18 June 2018 - 02:09 AM) I know folks I Very much know but it is my strange habbit to open up to strangers
Mr Johnny : (18 June 2018 - 02:11 AM) and I know Very much no one is attacking me I am not a baka but as I said the events of these past years was harsh to me
Mr Johnny : (18 June 2018 - 02:13 AM) even my Zodiac sign feature this strange habit,
Mr Johnny : (18 June 2018 - 02:16 AM) I just wanted to spend my Holiday with you guy and don't understand you as a whole the reason of my struggles cause you never was EVER!!! P.s "baka" is not my intended word, obv.
Mr Johnny : (18 June 2018 - 02:25 AM) I did't intend to make melodrama it is in your codswalloping mind. What a naive thinking.
midwinter : (18 June 2018 - 03:43 PM) Okay, enough. This isn't going anywhere helpful so just drop it, please
midwinter : (18 June 2018 - 04:03 PM) I've been thinking about the FF4 anniversary next month - would anyone be interested in a little drabble/paint art fest or something?
midwinter : (18 June 2018 - 04:03 PM) Nothing big, I just feel bad that we always seem to miss celebrating anniversaries
TomoChan : (18 June 2018 - 11:38 PM) I would be interested! I actually started drawing a picture of the FF4 cast for the anniversary :P hard to believe it's ten years old.
Chou : (19 June 2018 - 06:28 PM) I haven't drawn in foooorever but I'd try and join!
midwinter : (19 June 2018 - 07:02 PM) \o/
midwinter : (19 June 2018 - 07:03 PM) anyone else reading, CONSIDER THIS YOUR PEER PRESSURE
Chou : (19 June 2018 - 07:15 PM) Yeeessss! The spiritual power of all the  ghosts demand you all join!
Chou : (19 June 2018 - 07:16 PM) and hopefully by that point I've finished the game lol
midwinter : (19 June 2018 - 09:31 PM) i'm cheering for you!
Chou : (20 June 2018 - 01:36 PM) \o/ !!! I can't believe it's been 10 years since the game... 8 years since the patch was completed. Craziness!

Photo

Options for peeps outside of Japan

Fatal Frame V Wii U Localization

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fallenangel411

fallenangel411

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:48 PM

So let's assume for a moment the very real and horrible possibility that this game never makes it outside of Japan (*SOB*)..... how does everyone intend to deal with that situation?  Personally, I'll probably wait six months or so praying for an announcement or any indication of a worldwide release, and once it seems absolutely hopeless I'll invest in a Japanese Wii U and import the game, possibly try and track down a translated script of the game to read along with.  Not the best option, but much better than biting my nails over what happened to Miku for the rest of my life!

I understand the Wii U has yet to be hacked (apologies if that's a taboo subject to bring up), but I recall the original patch for 4 was created to work with the Wii sans hacking.  Assuming the Wii U is a much more complex piece of hardware, who knows if that will even be an option this time.... -_-

Thoughts?

#2 OFFLINE   MaruDashi

MaruDashi

Lost Twin

• Spirited Aways
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:32 PM

Id hope for another patch to be mad. It would be nice if they could just do a fan PC port like for FF4 and DCB [I got to play both on my PC, Wii motes and all] but I dont know how much more work it would be to get the WII U pad to pick up a PC screen....maybe it wont be an issue at all. We'll see

technologiccopy.png

#3 OFFLINE   calne

calne

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 203 posts
  • LocationHikamiyama

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:48 PM

Well, personally I didn't want to wait for a possible word from localization, so I went and bought japanese wii u and game (and if the localization is to come, then I'll have to think about buying pal/ntsc ones too OTL)

Back at when I got myself IV, I couldn't make the patch work at first so I ended up playing it in japanese maaaany many times. People in this fandom work hard to make it possible for everyone to understand what happens in the game, so translations are to come - everyone contributes in their own way, as much as they can.

So even if there wouldn't be a localization, even if the translation patch would be impossible due Wii U's nasty situation, I believe we would work it out somehow.

yuri.gif
hi i used to be beni kthxbye

#4 OFFLINE   Dark_Shiva144

Dark_Shiva144

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:57 PM

I'm still torn about what to do... I really want this game as soon as possible, and since I speak some Japanese (not fluently, but I understand enough to get what the story is about), the language isn't even my main issue.

The main problem is that I disliked the Wii, and I like the Wii U even less. The only Wii-exclusive games I really loved were Fatal Frame 2 remake, Fatal Frame 4, Xenoblade, Arc Rise Fantasia, and Calling. Not trying to bash Nintendo here or anything, but I just don't like the direction they've taken over the years. And this makes me wary of importing a console for just one game. I got a German Wii U (Christmas present from my parents), and it's been collecting dust for months now. The only other Wii U game besides FFV I'm looking forward to right now is the new Xenoblade, and I'm pretty sure that one will get localized. Meaning, as things stand now, I would be buying a Japanese Wii U only for FFV, and nothing else.
On the one hand, I want this game so much that I almost don't care about wasting 200€+ on a Japanese Wii U, but on the other hand I'm afraid they might announce a localization right after I've ordered the console. In that case, I would have completely wasted that money, since there really aren't any other Wii U games that interest me. Damn that region-lock...

Speaking of which... Over the past year, there have been several reports of people being able to hack the Wii U, and the company that made Wiikey (modchip for Wii) even announced they were almost ready to release a Wii U modchip. Unfortunately, both homebrew and modchip releases keep getting delayed, and by now I'm not so sure if they'll ever actually happen at all anymore.

Right now, I keep changing my mind about whether to import or not. I was very close to ordering yesterday, but then I thought "what if they announce the localization at TGS?", so I didn't order after all. Somehow, I feel that if I'm gonna import, I should do it sooner rather than later, so that if they decide to localize FFV after all, I can at least say I got it a lot sooner by importing. But then again, I think chances of an announcement being made are higher right now than they will be in a couple of months.... Damn, I really don't know what to do>_<

@calne: Where did you buy your Japanese Wii U from? Is there a store you would recommend?

Edited by Dark_Shiva144, 18 September 2014 - 03:01 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   fallenangel411

fallenangel411

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:11 PM

People in this fandom work hard to make it possible for everyone to understand what happens in the game, so translations are to come - everyone contributes in their own way, as much as they can.

So even if there wouldn't be a localization, even if the translation patch would be impossible due Wii U's nasty situation, I believe we would work it out somehow.

Calne, you give me hope for a better tomorrow T_T

Right now, I keep changing my mind about whether to import or not. I was very close to ordering yesterday, but then I thought "what if they announce the localization at TGS?", so I didn't order after all. Somehow, I feel that if I'm gonna import, I should do it sooner rather than later, so that if they decide to localize FFV after all, I can at least say I got it a lot sooner by importing. But then again, I think chances of an announcement being made are higher right now than they will be in a couple of months.... Damn, I really don't know what to do>_<

@calne: Where did you buy your Japanese Wii U from? Is there a store you would recommend?

I'm in the same boat in regards to being confused about what to do.  If I knew any Japanese though, you best believe I'd have the Wii U and game on their way.

Also would love to know a good place to invest in a J Wii U if it comes to that.

#6 OFFLINE   calne

calne

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 203 posts
  • LocationHikamiyama

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

I bought mine from Play-Asia. It's a reliable place with good pricing, the only problem has been that they either send your copy to arrive just on the date of release or two to three weeks after it.
When Lighting Returns came, my sister ended up buying the digital version since Play-Asia sent it two days after the release.

But to be honest, I think it's the same with every import site. Importing games is always a bit slow.
If Wii U has PSN type of store, FFV comes as digital and you can buy PSN card type of cards for it, I'd recommend that way (unless it's really important to get a physical copy).
Digital downloads are always the fastest way u__u

yuri.gif
hi i used to be beni kthxbye

#7 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

Lingering Shadow

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,131 posts
  • Location日上山

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:42 PM

I'm actually gonna buy a Japanese Wii-U once I have a job again. If I end up not going to my trip in December then I'll buy the game then the Wii-U later if I get to keep the money and use it as getting myself a Christmas Gift so I can honestly not care if a localization happens or not. I've been playing Japanese games for a long time and can understand them so why not. If localization does happen I'll buy the game but I'm not sure how I'll be able to get another Wii-U.

As for cracking the Wii-U.... you can crack the Wii part of the Wii-U to play FF4 in English and play Wii Edition. As for making the Wii-U completely region free to play Wii-U games outside of your region.... thats gonna take time. Maybe sometime soon. As for an English patch..... that will also take a lot longer depending on who is willing to put in the effort of getting it working.

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

#8 OFFLINE   Dark_Shiva144

Dark_Shiva144

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:38 PM

I bought mine from Play-Asia. It's a reliable place with good pricing, the only problem has been that they either send your copy to arrive just on the date of release or two to three weeks after it.
When Lighting Returns came, my sister ended up buying the digital version since Play-Asia sent it two days after the release.
But to be honest, I think it's the same with every import site. Importing games is always a bit slow.
If Wii U has PSN type of store, FFV comes as digital and you can buy PSN card type of cards for it, I'd recommend that way (unless it's really important to get a physical copy).
Digital downloads are always the fastest way u__u

Thanks^^ Right now I'm considering either Play-Asia or Amiami. Amiami is a bit cheaper, but the console's status right now is "back-order", and I'm not sure how reliable the estimate of 1-2 weeks till it's back in stock is:/ First time I checked was sometime last week, so if they do get it back in stock on time it should be the middle of next week at the latest. I don't want to end up waiting months for the console to arrive, so this is kinda annoying...
And I'm gonna go with the disc version of FFV, because I'm a collector^^"
Hm, talking to you guys has made me lean more toward ordering...*sigh*

#9 OFFLINE   Meital

Meital

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 289 posts
  • Locationwith Onion-san

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:11 PM

Let's not throw all out hopes away! I've noticed that Tecmo Koei Europe and Tecmo Koei America follows Operation Zero on Twitter ^^ That's something, right? 

• fallenangel411 and Lolita like this

#10 OFFLINE   TomoChan

TomoChan

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 285 posts
  • LocationChamber of Thorns

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:25 PM

I pray it comes outside of Japan,:/ but not only are Europe Tecmo and North America Tecmo is following Operation Zero,two voice actors from the previous games are following them aswell. And they are going all out with this one this time around. 3 trailers,2 movies,book,and manga. But if it doesn't get localized I will be just sad but import it along with a Wii U.

a80Suw0.png

#11 OFFLINE   zachillios

zachillios

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:47 PM

There's also an alternative for the tech savvy people: http://www.wiikey.com/news/  You just pop it into your Wii U and it runs every game on the market despite their region. It's not out yet however and will cost about $130 (which is cheaper than importing a wii u and the game which is about $410 total)

• fallenangel411 likes this

Z5NAsTF.png

#12 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

Lingering Shadow

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,131 posts
  • Location日上山

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:03 PM

There's also an alternative for the tech savvy people: http://www.wiikey.com/news/  You just pop it into your Wii U and it runs every game on the market despite their region. It's not out yet however and will cost about $130 (which is cheaper than importing a wii u and the game which is about $410 total)

I wouldn't. If you have to PAY for a crack then its what people would consider a scam. I rather stick with importing. You shouldn't need to pay for a crack just as much as you shouldn't pay just to have a translation patch.

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

#13 OFFLINE   zachillios

zachillios

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:08 PM

I wouldn't. If you have to PAY for a crack then its what people would consider a scam. I rather stick with importing. You shouldn't need to pay for a crack just as much as you shouldn't pay just to have a translation patch.

Not a scam lmao, I have the original in my Wii. 

Z5NAsTF.png

#14 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

Lingering Shadow

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,131 posts
  • Location日上山

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:30 PM

Not a scam lmao, I have the original in my Wii. 

After looking into it more there are better solutions for the Wii (faster and safer ones without cracking the thing open). All I'm hearing is "Oh hey guys you can play your back ups via SD card while using this chip". This is something we dont need to be talked here. Its against the rules. Wanna play an out of region games on the Wii? Use Riivoulution not this. I haven't read anything about playing retail games ether,

Edited by ナガクラ, 18 September 2014 - 07:31 PM.

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

#15 OFFLINE   zachillios

zachillios

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:33 PM

After looking into it more there are better solutions for the Wii (faster and safer ones without cracking the thing open). All I'm hearing is "Oh hey guys you can play your back ups via SD card while using this chip". This is something we dont need to be talked here. Its against the rules. Wanna play an out of region games on the Wii? Use Riivoulution not this. I haven't read anything about playing retail games ether,

Well then this'll be the last thing I say about it then (funny how you didn't point out the obvious mention of emulators above), the wii version was old, these are made early in the console's generation prior to CFW being cracked. As I stated this was an alternative, not the only solution. 

Z5NAsTF.png

#16 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:36 PM

Okay, Nagakura, there's really no need for you to play mini-mod. Since the item in question was brought up as a way to play a legally-acquired disc on a Wii from a different region, it's not against the rules, but rest assured we're keeping an eye on this thread and will say if it crosses the mine.

zachillios, what you posted was fine, don't worry about it. People can make up their own minds if they want to pay to use WiiKey or not.

• zachillios likes this

#17 OFFLINE   Lolita

Lolita

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:33 PM

I would be willing to put time into a patch but my skills are limited...

However, isn't the Hollywood film a thing? So I think may mean localization is possible 

• fallenangel411 likes this

#18 OFFLINE   Dark_Shiva144

Dark_Shiva144

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:37 PM

I don't see a problem with zachillios' suggestion either. It's basically the same thing I mentioned earlier, only that he/she also provided a link (which is helpful, imo). People need to keep in mind that modchips aren't all bad, and not every person who uses one does so in order to be able to play illegal copies of games.

One of my Wiis also has a Wiikey installed, because back when I first wanted to import Wii games I didn't really trust homebrew yet. I only installed the HBC years later because I had to buy a new Wii (laser of the old one was too weak for Xenoblade-.-) and homebrew seemed more convenient by then. In the end, I don't think it matters whether you use homebrew or a modchip, since both can be abused, unfortunately. I don't see the point in doing that, since I'm a collector and want to have a physical copy of every game I play, but I guess people just have different priorities.

Anyway, like I said above, the problem with the new Wiikey is that there's been delay after delay so far, and I'm not sure what that means... It could be they just need to fix some bugs before releasing it, but right now I'm more inclined to believe that maybe Nintendo is successfully preventing the modchip from working with new updates.

Edited by Dark_Shiva144, 18 September 2014 - 09:39 PM.

• zachillios likes this

#19 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

Lingering Shadow

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,131 posts
  • Location日上山

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:43 AM

However, isn't the Hollywood film a thing? So I think may mean localization is possible 

I dont really think it matters. Iwata has a Japanese mindset (well no duh hes Japanese). The Japanese think they shouldn't let another company's decision effect their actions because they dont believe in that sort of thing. Unless its competition (Japan is a competitive country) then they do something about it but knowing Nintendo they do their own thing in their own little world they dont show any sign of being a competitive company compared to Sony and Microsoft. Look what happened to Microsoft last year at E3, Sony destroyed them and their supporters lost their respect for them switching to Sony (my friend is one of those people who gave up on Microsoft). Even with the changes they've made it still didn't undo the damage. One year later what did Nintendo do about their region locking? Nothing. They dont care.

If the Hollywood film flops and becomes the worst film on earth then they (the film studio and producers and distributors) loose money not NoA or Nintendo as a whole. If it does well then there might be a possibility because they know people (outside the fan base) want it and they might do something about it if there is support for it outside of the fanbase. If you ever had an economics/sales course in high school or college you'd know about these things.

Edited by ナガクラ, 19 September 2014 - 12:44 AM.

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

#20 OFFLINE   Dark_Shiva144

Dark_Shiva144

Innocent Bystander

• Spirited Aways
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:53 AM

Damn it... I hate living in Germany, I really do. I asked Amiami yesterday whether shipping a WiiU to my place was even possible, since I wanted to make sure because many stores don't export consoles due to embargoes.
Here's the reply I got:

"Hi.
Thank you for mailing us.
Unfortunately your country has some strict policies regarding lithium
batteries therefore we would be unable to ship that item to you as it
contains those type of batteries.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
Thank you for shopping at AmiAmi.
Regards,
AmiAmi"

If this is true, then I might not be able to import at all. Then again, I asked Nintendo Europe/Germany about it last week, and they said if I run into trouble I should contact them and they would help me out (I didn't ask about the batteries specifically though, since I didn't even know these could be a problem).
Now, I really don't know what to do anymore. Especially because if those batteries can't be imported, the customs office wouldn't send the package back to the sender, they would dispose of it. Meaning, I wouldn't get the console, and I wouldn't get my money back, either.
Dammit, this sucks so much.
I'll write to Play-Asia as well just in case, but I imagine I'll get the same reply...

Does anyone know a European store that imports consoles? I think that might be my only option now:(

Also, about Wiikey U: I just realized that it doesn't say anywhere that this particular modchip gets rid of the region lock. It says you can use the modchip regardless of the console's region, and it also says you can use the modchip to play games from a USB device...but it doesn't say that this function bypasses the region-lock. So, I wrote to the Wiikey developers just in case. I hope they aren't too busy to answer right now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame V, Wii U, Localization

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users