Anyone trying to register a new account:

The forums are currently being targeted by spambots, so new registrations will have to be manually approved by an admin. I'll try to check the list at least once a day, but if you want to be approved more quickly, or if you've been falsely marked as a spammer, please message elwing.alcyone at Gmail.

- midwinter

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
GregZerO : (05 March 2019 - 08:20 PM) mid how are ur japanese going?
Tigermausbaer : (20 March 2019 - 10:22 AM) Hello everyone! :)
Rheo : (14 April 2019 - 10:10 AM) Hi!
Rui Kurosawa : (20 April 2019 - 01:50 AM) Hi!
TheJake : (31 May 2019 - 09:27 PM) In FF4, are spirit points only used for the shop?  It seems like you just need these crystals for upgrades, but I'm not 100% sure. :P
Kicksville : (02 June 2019 - 01:29 PM) The save point shop and the post-game shop after you're done (for costumes and such)
suprimeking : (24 June 2019 - 12:40 PM) anyone here
suprimeking : (10 July 2019 - 11:11 AM) discord is acting up on me again
Gbarchetta : (28 July 2019 - 06:20 PM) Urgh, I want a new entry in the series :(
Jamie : (28 July 2019 - 07:29 PM) Same here :C
Meital : (29 February 2020 - 08:45 PM) GabSmolders is having Fatal Frame marathon on Twitch! Just FYI if you're interested watching someone play FF :)
Rheo : (23 April 2020 - 10:38 AM) Been so long
ItsukiFace : (28 May 2020 - 06:21 PM) You better run.
ItsukiFace : (28 May 2020 - 08:46 PM) I'd rather be dry, but at least I'm alive.
thomas06 : (25 July 2020 - 10:32 PM) Hey Guys!
NuMetalWolf : (30 August 2020 - 09:46 AM) It's been 6 years.
NuMetalWolf : (02 September 2020 - 05:36 PM) 12, actually. I wasn't counting the time i spent here before the move out.
NuMetalWolf : (02 September 2020 - 05:39 PM) To whoever reads this, I wish you all good luck.
NuMetalWolf : (02 September 2020 - 05:46 PM) Stay safe, everyone.
NuMetalWolf : (02 September 2020 - 05:47 PM) Bye.

Photo
- - - - -

FF2 short novel

Fatal Frame II Novel Translation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Homuranagi

Homuranagi

RED CHILLI HOT PEPPER????

• Crazy Noisy Bizarre Admin
  • 422 posts
  • LocationDuwang Town

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

I wonder how many people know about this. As part of its pre-release promotion, FF2 had a short novel published serially in (oddly enough) newspaper Sankei Sports. It's based on the game, but plays out differently with its own special ending. It was republished in the fanbook, which is the first I certainly had heard of it. It's only around 6000 words long or so, and the chapters are quite short, and it's... interesting.

Has anyone read the story? What did you think of its own take on the story, and how did you think the ending compared to the actual game's endings?

Anyone who is sadly unfamiliar with the story can rectify that by visiting this link. (Anyone who skips to the end will be banned. This is not a drill.)

• ナガクラ likes this

AAHOrHo.gif

#2 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

Lingering Shadow

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,158 posts
  • Location日上山

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

I remember this, I remember reading this when you were translating the Zero novel when I couldn't wait for more chapters. It was a nice short story and I kinda wish they made this an ending in the Wii version.

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

#3 OFFLINE   Elyonum

Elyonum

High School Student

• Validating
  • 121 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:14 PM

Oh my goodness, I had no idea there was a translation available! 
I have the fanbook myself and was dying to know what the novelization said, going as far as to take Japanese classes (but later stopped after 2 years, I was a fickle 15-year-old). 
I'm so happy to find this!

I find it interesting that this version is based on the game, but doesn't follow the events exactly. There doesn't even seem to be a camera obscura! I like that there is a little more interaction and thoughts of the sisters. The game had too little of this, I always felt. 

Also, did the part where Mio looks for Mayu behind a screen, only to find a doll, make anyone think this is a slight wink at the "is she holding a doll head or book" scene? 

The negative thing about this novelization is that it feels a little scattered, like things seem to happen too fast and I get lost as to what is going on. One minute Mio is holding Mayu, but then Mayu turns into Sae and there are ghosts everywhere, but then Mio runs away with Mayu? Hadn't she just turned into Sae? What? I'm thinking perhaps it flows better in the original language.

Also, GIRL THAT ENDING.

Spoiler

I loved reading this, I'm so happy I finally got the chance  :wub: 

#4 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 822 posts
  • LocationThe white sands of limbo

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

Mio's willingness to kill herself for Mayu catapulting to creepier levels aside, it was interesting.  I liked the FW cameo.   :icon_fallenwoman:

#5 OFFLINE   FiliusMartis

FiliusMartis

Kagome, Kagome Player

• Administrators
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

That was an interesting read. I find it very interesting how Mayu was portrayed, especially considering how she seems in the game and how most of the fandom interprets her. Also, the ending. Good ending.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame II, Novel, Translation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users