Signups for the 2017 Christmas Exchange are open! Come and join us for spooky festive gifts!

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
Hex : (08 November 2017 - 06:12 PM) Yesss, headphones.  I think you can hear doors being closed in Rei's house too.
Hex : (09 November 2017 - 01:03 PM) Damn, I didn't know they were closing down the miiverse until too late.  My screenshots.  :(
midwinter : (09 November 2017 - 01:40 PM) Argh, no backups? That sucks :(
Hex : (09 November 2017 - 01:48 PM) On the bright side, I still have an album full of pretty scenery and Hisoka looking confused.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) Nintendo shouldn't have shut down Miiverse.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) People loved it.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) And they should have incorporated it onto the Switch.
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:51 AM) Finally finished TEW2, t'was excellent.
GreekShadow : (12 November 2017 - 05:14 AM) I'm glad you enjoed it Hex!How was it comparing to the first one though(,which i personally disliked)?
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:11 PM) I've only played the first for a few hours (didn't like it much either), but it was a big improvement.  The gameplay is fun, the stealth works a lot better, the open world map isn't too big but there's sidequests (one with a cool ghost lady!) and some interesting things to do.
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:17 PM) I was really impressed with the story since it was one of the things that put me off the first. The last 20 minutes were so good, definitely one of the best endings I've seen in awhile.
Daz Hinasaki : (12 November 2017 - 07:17 PM) Hey guys I'm finishing fatal frame 1 on my twitch channel tonight! :) love you to join me https://www.twitch.tv/chunzbunz
GreekShadow : (13 November 2017 - 05:36 AM) oh sounds cool thank you hex!And for me also the story of the first one put me off,glad the second one is better
Hex : (16 November 2017 - 12:01 PM) TIL: ghost marriage is actually practiced in China.   :staffsan:
Rheo : (16 November 2017 - 12:13 PM) O_O
Rheo : (16 November 2017 - 12:13 PM) oh yeah there's a local movie here called The Ghost Bride and the actress playing that is half-Chinese
Hex : (21 November 2017 - 07:58 PM) Do you ever start typing and find yourself wondering, "when did this become a novel?"
AnimalLover4... : (21 November 2017 - 10:22 PM) Eiji Otsuka.
Hex : (21 November 2017 - 11:46 PM) Where?   :icon_lordhimuro:
AnimalLover4... : (22 November 2017 - 06:19 AM) LOL

Photo

Speculation of the Playable Areas and Setting

Fatal Frame V Locations Speculation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sigma

Sigma

Unknown Victim

• Spirited Aways
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:54 PM

(I put this here since I have no idea if it's spoilery or not, and it might become so with later updates)

So far from what I've seen the game will take place on and/or around (that is the base of) Mount Hikami. There appears, from the screenshots on the official site, to be some sort of tourist village(?) at the base of the mountain with a angled train car that would take people up the mountain. That village seems to have modern convinces like sidewalks, phone booths and street lights. Maybe this is where Yuri and friend's have their shop and live at? It would be interesting and quite scary to see ghosts in this area I think. Possibly the shop is something of a "safe" zone like in 3, that will become less safe as time goes on?

The forest lies outside of the village or surrounds it, I'm guessing this is where you will find the older, dilapidated structures seen in the screenshots and where most of the spooky fun happens at. As you progress through the game you will work your way up part of the mountain to a shine to fight the final boss?

Since I doubt any sane human would walk in the rain up a mountain multiple times in the dead of night in rain, maybe the main gameplay will take place as an astral-projection or dream like in 3? Which might explain Yuri waking up in a pond of dead, ancient kimono ghost people. :P

#2 OFFLINE   Reala

Reala

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 429 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

I assume because of that video of the CCTV we will be able to explore the shop, looks to be quite spacious lookimg forward to having a looksie. If this is true does this mean it's a fatal frame 3 scenario where yuri will come and go from the mountain, the premise of her looming for someone doesn't really fit that bill though maybe the story will evolve from there. As for the mountain itself well I think there will be lots of areas that involve water including that lake, maybe there will be shrine like structures similar to fatal frame 3. I wonder if we can assume that they are looking at the third game for inspiration. There may also be a network of waterways since water has some significance here. Seriously there's a lot you can dig up from that trainer I'll come back if I think of more scenarios
 photo flandrebanner.jpg

#3 OFFLINE   Elyonum

Elyonum

High School Student

• Spirited Aways
  • 120 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:27 AM

Those mountainous areas really make me feel they might have a Siren-eske vibe; you know, nature, dilapidated abandoned buildings and the like. I'm really picturing something like this: 

jpbozq.jpg

• CakeCorpse likes this

bff2gl.jpg

Sweetness~ 

#4 OFFLINE   HiganbanaScented

HiganbanaScented

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 13 posts
  • LocationKimono Room

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:30 PM

Perhaps it's just me, but the theme of suicides happening in the mountains immediately makes me think of Aokigahara, Japan's Suicide Forest. I wonder if they are tapping into that kind of theme or not.

I would also like to theorize about the mountain and water in general. I am going to guess that there is some kind of a sacred site underground upon the mountain, Fatal Frame always has us go deep underground at some point to close off the gate of the underworld as it were. I'm wondering too if we won't be following water as it worms it's way into the mountain, thus going deep inside the earth. Also about the water, I wonder if it will be strictly a dangerous thing(drowned ghosts and all that) or if the mountain will have any kind of safe, purification areas(being that waterfalls, etc have been a source of religious purification in Japan).

I do wonder about that shop too. Perhaps we will get some more interesting inventory items like we have in the past in the form of the crystal radio, cassette player, etc. It would be interesting if they would introduce something different this time.

#5 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

I'm hoping this whole midnight/witching hour theme will be used somehow - like, some of the buildings are hidden unless you visit the mountain at midnight, something like that? That would be one way to account for Yuuri's decision to go hiking in the middle of the night.

One of the areas I'm weirdly obsessed with is that long, straight road with a phone box that shows up on the website. I want to know where that comes in! When I watch the video it seems like there's something red catching the light up ahead, but the video ends before you can see what it is. Maybe a roadblock with traffic cones, or a row of torii gates?

How about all those dolls? There's the shrine with dolls outside, and an indoor room with another doll stand... maybe they were inspired by that doll village where the woman makes dolls to replace the people who have died or left. Perhaps Onion-san spends her afterlife making dolls to represent all the suicides at Hikamiyama.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame V, Locations, Speculation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users