Signups for the 2017 Christmas Exchange are open! Come and join us for spooky festive gifts!

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
Hex : (30 November 2017 - 01:50 PM) Anyone else got snow?  Brr.
midwinter : (30 November 2017 - 02:55 PM) Yes  :icon_fallenwoman:
Eisenalex : (30 November 2017 - 03:21 PM) Not yet, unfortunately. I need temperatures to drop below 0°C during the day.
AnimalLover4... : (01 December 2017 - 03:27 AM) Lucky.  I love snow.
asagi : (01 December 2017 - 09:32 PM) I wonder when will the temperature be below 20C
Hex : (04 December 2017 - 07:33 PM) psst, midwinter, the FF3 reframing video's out and it's great: https://m.youtube.co...h?v=-f4e3zSFSEE
GreekShadow : (04 December 2017 - 08:32 PM) why does that guy has only so little views
midwinter : (04 December 2017 - 10:26 PM) ohhh, thank you! i'll have to watch it tomorrow now, but i'm looking forward to it
Hex : (05 December 2017 - 03:36 PM) He deserves a lot more
Hex : (05 December 2017 - 04:01 PM) Whenever I see Mafuyu say the broken staircase has nothing to do Takamine, I imagine him skidding down it on a sled with Koji and Tomoe.
Hex : (05 December 2017 - 04:02 PM) Novelists just wanna have fun
Hex : (06 December 2017 - 12:08 PM) Did anyone else not notice the pillars in the Demon Mouth have figures cared into them?  https://s7.postimg.o...3f/IMG_2417.jpg
midwinter : (06 December 2017 - 02:19 PM) oooh, no, that's cool
GreekShadow : (06 December 2017 - 11:58 PM) Lets all agree that in Forbidden Siren 2 ALL the missions with the 2 apartment buildings are the worst
Hex : (07 December 2017 - 12:07 AM) But don't you just love it when everything looks the same?   :chisab:
GreekShadow : (08 December 2017 - 05:34 PM) ;_;
GreekShadow : (08 December 2017 - 07:50 PM) There are chances a new Tenchu has been teased by From Software,if its indeed Tenchu i ll die ,its been 10 years ;_;
Rezz : (09 December 2017 - 12:44 AM) From Software needs to make me another Armored Core
midwinter : (09 December 2017 - 01:48 PM) And where's my Kuon sequel while we're at it
Rheo : (09 December 2017 - 06:39 PM) i thought the name of that game is actually Shadows Die Twice. lol

Photo

Story direction

Fatal Frame Movie Opinion

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 783 posts
  • LocationThe white sands of limbo

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

Most video game movies to some extent dip their toes into the source material with various changes and results.  If this one were to follow the examples of Silent Hill and Resident Evil, which game would you think works best as a film and be your personal choice to go see?

Or if possible, would you make the film take an original direction?   

#2 OFFLINE   Reala

Reala

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 429 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:56 PM

I reckon they'll adapt some ghosts from the series maybe broken neck since she's one of the most iconic
 photo flandrebanner.jpg

#3 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 702 posts
  • LocationThe Red Room.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:21 PM

I don't trust this director to make a good adaptation of one of the games' stories.  I don't want the story to be the same as the games and am all for changing several things in the story to provide a different experience so long as they are as good as the original story.  This guy I don't see making changes that are just as good as the original so if he has to make a Fatal Frame movie I want him to create a brand new story for the movie with all new characters.  It's less likely to be offensive to fans if it doesn't mess up something that's already established as great.

#4 OFFLINE   Rheo

Rheo

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 491 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Philippines

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

I think I'd prefer the story should be original so as to lessen the boredom of having seen the same story from the videogame all over, but I guess it wouldn't hurt...

If it would be a videogame story that shall be turned into a movie, then maybe that will cause the audience to just skip through the videogame experience because they've just already seen the movie and will be like, "ah it's the same okay I won't play because it's the same thing" @_@

oops, we're talking about the Hollywood...

umm of course. the Japanese is good to go, but I'm quite concerned (not worried or excited yet) about this one.

Edited by Rheo, 24 July 2014 - 06:41 PM.

th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo2_250_zps034th_tumblr_mtmh9z1Zrf1r1afgwo6_250_zps979  
One, Three, and Four, my favorite characters as of now.
Two? No. Five? No!
and Zero? NO!

#5 OFFLINE   mudkip25

mudkip25

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:37 PM

While there will be a lot of changes, hopefully it won't be too different.

If they did change it to the point of Resident Evil standards, I'd imagine it to be edgy and action-oriented like this:

Miku Hinasaki is a 21-year-old cop looking for her boyfriend, Mafuyu. She travels deep into a forest to find the haunted Playboy Mansion where Mafuyu is filming a documentary. Armed only with her mother's gun, the Glock Obscura pistol, Miku fights her way through hordes of the demonic spirits that still wander. Eventually she finds Mafuyu and arrests the evil drug lord Kirie "2Ropez" Himuro and brings her to justice. Afterwards, she retires and becomes an assistant to freelance photographer Ray Kurosawa (gender changed for some romantic chemistry) who's wife, Yuu (can be a girls name in Japan), died in a drag racing accident.

Edited by mudkip25, 24 July 2014 - 06:38 PM.

• midwinter, Yashuu and Hex like this

#6 OFFLINE   BatCountry

BatCountry

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 246 posts
  • Locationperforming the Kiraigou

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:15 PM

Well, I'd really like the story to be more or less the same as one of the games, especially FF (because I think an adaptation of FF2 and FF4 would be a lot better if coming from a japanese adaptation ;) ). Broken Neck woman would be amazing and Kirie too :o

But, if I should choose something to change between the game AND the movie, that would be the characters' name and the ending; as many people know the game ending, it would be useless to see the film if it has the same ending x)

198003testsakuya.png

#7 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 783 posts
  • LocationThe white sands of limbo

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:52 AM

as many people know the game ending, it would be useless to see the film if it has the same ending x)

This is something I see a lot from both the film makers and fans, but I've never quite understood it.  The parts of video game movies that seem to go down well are the bits inspired by the game, and the changes are what put people off.  Whenever I watch Silent Hill and see one of the parts that syncs with the game I don't think "god this is dull" but rather "oh my god they did it right."  It's a little exciting seeing those moments for the first time again, and I'd hate to lose that to some rewrites because we already know what's coming.

#8 OFFLINE   Homuranagi

Homuranagi

RED CHILLI HOT PEPPER????

• Crazy Noisy Bizarre Admin
  • 422 posts
  • LocationDuwang Town

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

I think... in this case they're going to have to go with something original. Which simultaneously baffles and concerns me. If it's going to be a Hollywood adaptation then I'm assuming it will go the way of all Hollywood adaptations of foreign movies, where they basically take the setting and make it American. That worked with The Ring because... well, video tapes are (or were lol) a universal concept and it wasn't overly heavy on the Japanese thing, and while Ju-On was closer to it you could still pass it off as Ghost in the Attic Syndrome ™. I think the main issue that comes from adaptations that fall flat is that they try to pull too far away from the original in "localising" it and lose a lot of the charm (and often logic) of the original, whether due to cultural differences or just plain awful writing, so I'd prefer it if they dropped that altogether and made it American from the start...

The main issue, though, I think is kind of unique to us in that... well, this is a very, very obviously Japanese series, in a way that none of the other things really are. The main symbols of each game are Shinto-style rituals, big abandoned Japanese-style houses and generally all the things they're so proud to talk about "Made in Japan" horror games because of. How would they translate this to a Hollywood movie? First and foremost I'm concerned that the first thing they try to do will be to convert our historically short-ish, meek and traditional Japanese horror-style protagonists into Charlie's Angels style action heroines who run around punching walls just because IT FEELS GOOD. I don't think their target audience would be happy with the general style the developers aim for, or at least used to before the Booby Giraffe Brigade pulled up (no offence to Ruka but this is basically what you are) and that would affect the overall story in all likelihood. What do you do about the setting? You surely can't just gloss over a big Japanese mansion hidden somewhere in the American countryside, can you? It's not easily hidden like a well or something.

So we've not even made it past the intro of the film yet, and already the thing is looking hardly recognisable bar the camera. Which begs the question... what about the camera? Do they dedicate long, long sections to actually playing out the fights? If not, how does the film itself actually progress? If you take out combat, you only have this tiny little smudge of story left behind that really doesn't make much sense alone, and a bunch of weird puzzles. There's only so many times you can take photos of random objects and have puzzles magically solve themselves. If they do keep the camera, do they keep the backstory? Are they willing to break up the action with some - possibly pointless - segments going into the camera's background and precisely where and who it comes from? What about Asou? Even explaining the basics would probably eat up a lot of time. If we lose the camera then we lose every single element tying it to the series as we know it; if they keep it in, they have a LOT of explaining and figuring out to do, unless they play it the way the Japanese movie looks to be doing and basically go "oh, there's this camera, it takes freaky photos and YOU'RE IN IT!" and leave out the combat entirely. So... where do the ghosts come from and how do we deal with them?

Another thing that makes the series what it is is the notes you get everywhere. What do we do? Have the protagonist stop every few steps to read some dead guy's incomprehensible diary? How do you convey that sheer volume of information to the audience without basically turning it into a readalong session? If you strip out the notes, how do you tell the backstory? Gloss over it, or have a Mafuyu-style monologue explaining it all? I don't like the idea of that. They'd have to come up with something good, or we'd end up with some likely very papery and thin characters. Establishing some kind of solid backstory for the villain would be a challenge, too, and that's possibly the most important part. I mean, we do have a villain... right?

I think if I took all of these points into consideration and I were writing the film, I would choose to go with something original. If you were making a Japanese movie you might just get it to work, but an overseas adaptation I don't think will ever be able to carry one of the games outright - it's just too Japanese, not to mention that all of the things that make the games great would really drag in film format. Trying to force a game to work into anything longer than a short film sounds like a bad idea to me in this case (not to mention I would rather see an original story try than them destroy a game I like). They're just too... game-y. Different media. Some games you could convert into movies outright based on their cutscenes (cough cough 90-minute cyborg ninja show-off cough), but I think FF is too gameplay heavy for it to make enough sense. Which leads us back around to...

Original story! Like I said before, I think I'd like something similar to the Japanese movie as we can see from trailers and promo material, where the camera is featured and somewhat prominent, but not employed in the same manner it is in the games. I think if they took the basic premise and converted it into something that made sense in America they would be much better off than attempting to adapt an existing story, especially because they get to mould the story to their own liking without having to force it inside pre-existing barriers, and I think the same way about the JP film. There are plenty of creative ways in which you can convert the Japanese concepts to Hollywood ones and still use the camera in an interesting way, all without making a direct adaptation that turns out to be pretty awful, possibly because it's too close to the source material. I'm thinking something like the Spirit Camera mini dramas. If you create something new you also avoid the chance of disappointing fans by screwing up iconic moments they love, which is one of the major dangers with something like this. I mean, you might also turn them right off by making something new... but you can't really win here. We're picky people. By all means, take a few "nods" from the original series to give fans the "aha" moment, but I'd like it to be fairly original with the story itself. Switch it up a bit. Give us new surprises, and don't screw up what we already have. Not too much freedom, either, or we end up with Pyramid Head doing elaborate cha-cha-chas around guys tied up while goth cousins get jiggy with it and... what was the plot again? Oh, that doesn't matter, we've got booby nurses in the credits.

TL;DR: Please god don't try to outright adapt FF1 (or anything else) into a movie. Also get Sean Bean.

• GreekShadow, Yashuu, Hex and 1 other like this

AAHOrHo.gif

#9 OFFLINE   MacabrelleEnvy

MacabrelleEnvy

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 416 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques and Cafe

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:27 PM

^^ Homuranagi you crack me up 😂 but you also bring up a LOT of good points. First, let's discuss Sean Bean. He always dies... Except in the Silent Hill movie. So if he were a character that was going to die but still have a big role then he could be someone like Folklorist/Kusabi from the 2nd game.

I agree that this movie needs to keep a Japanese setting rather than to become "Americanized". Hollywood movies seem to be more open with Japanese settings recently though so maybe this is something we don't have to worry too much about. Unless this is exactly why we need to worry because filming in Japan would be expensive and for a series that is believed to "not do well" in the US it might not be "worth it" in their eyes 😰

As far as an original story I definitely agree there. Trying to adapt one of the games basically just sets them up for failure and disappointed fans. There is some hope after watching the Castlevania animated series on Netflix which is an adaptation of the third game. I'm actually pretty excited to see the second season, but they have precedence for a show like that since Berserk was popular enough for multiple movies/seasons. For something like Fatal Frame you have movies like The Forest, Paranormal Activity, and The Ring in the background :/

Bringing up animated Netflix series, that doesn't sound too bad for Fatal Frame either.... But that's another discussion lol.

As far as translation from game to screen I agree with a lot of you that something more lile the Japanese movie or the manga would work better. I also think battling ghosts with the camera can be done well in a film format. You just have to space and pace it correctly. I would only have two maybe three scenes of actual "battles" which you might want to save for important "bosses". The other interactions with ghosts can be quick. Some ghosts might be weak and only need one picture taken. Others you might just take one picture or use a flash feature like in the third game to give yourself enough time to escape. I would even put in scenes where you don't use the camera at all, but have it at the ready while hiding like Kei in the third game. I would use the camera to solve maybe one or two puzzles but let the rest involve putting bits of information together from journals or solving the puzzle keys which don't necessarily need the camera. If you can't tell, i'm very attached to the camera as a central piece of the series. I was upset when I found out that the Japanese movie didn't really involve the camera and actually still haven't watched it yet, though I did read the novel translation (didn't someone post a link somewhere to watch the movie with english translations? I really need to find that lol).

Anyways, at this point I honestly don't even think it's going to happen. It looks like Samuel Hadida is working on a Wolfenstein movie and has had no mention of Fatal Frame in a long time.

Edit:
I just did some googling and it looks like Wolfenstein was being planned back in 2012 and is just now getting back on track? So maybe Hadida is just really behind because of some alleged "legal troubles" that I saw a couple of places mention. Maybe that means we will get a Fatal Frame movie after all... Just not until 2024 or something far away 😱

Edited by MacabrelleEnvy, 18 November 2017 - 12:34 PM.

• midwinter and Meital like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame Movie, Opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users