Anyone trying to register a new account:

The forums are currently being targeted by spambots, so new registrations will have to be manually approved by an admin. I'll try to check the list at least once a day, but if you want to be approved more quickly, or if you've been falsely marked as a spammer, please message elwing.alcyone at Gmail.

- midwinter

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
midwinter : (24 January 2019 - 05:16 PM) i never would have thought of trying to edit it if you hadn't brought it up
GregZerO : (27 January 2019 - 02:24 AM) glad i did :P
GregZerO : (27 January 2019 - 02:42 AM) Also for some reason BCL according to my antivirus pc or something is not a secure page  :thinking:
GregZerO : (27 January 2019 - 02:42 AM) and its weird cause 99% of the pages on he internet are "secure"
GregZerO : (04 March 2019 - 11:10 PM) https://www.youtube....h?v=jDadONMsXjw
GregZerO : (04 March 2019 - 11:10 PM) amano's new song doesn't sound bad
GregZerO : (04 March 2019 - 11:14 PM) and the video is like a fan singing koe or something lel
midwinter : (05 March 2019 - 02:24 PM) ooh, i like it
midwinter : (05 March 2019 - 02:25 PM) it sounds more like her old stuff
GregZerO : (05 March 2019 - 08:19 PM) indeed,I hope someone will upload the full version soon
GregZerO : (05 March 2019 - 08:20 PM) mid how are ur japanese going?
Tigermausbaer : (20 March 2019 - 10:22 AM) Hello everyone! :)
Rheo : (14 April 2019 - 10:10 AM) Hi!
Rui Kurosawa : (20 April 2019 - 01:50 AM) Hi!
TheJake : (31 May 2019 - 09:27 PM) In FF4, are spirit points only used for the shop?  It seems like you just need these crystals for upgrades, but I'm not 100% sure. :P
Kicksville : (02 June 2019 - 01:29 PM) The save point shop and the post-game shop after you're done (for costumes and such)
suprimeking : (24 June 2019 - 12:40 PM) anyone here
suprimeking : (10 July 2019 - 11:11 AM) discord is acting up on me again
Gbarchetta : (28 July 2019 - 06:20 PM) Urgh, I want a new entry in the series :(
Jamie : (28 July 2019 - 07:29 PM) Same here :C

Photo

Hollywood "Fatal Frame": Yay or nay?

Fatal Frame Movie Opinion

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hex

Hex

Stefano's Obscura

• Haori Inspector
  • 822 posts
  • LocationThe white sands of limbo

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:50 AM

With the mention of "Fatal Frame" during the stream, to be produced by Samuel Hadida of the Resident Evil and Silent Hill movies, what are everyone's thoughts?  While there's definitely some positives, including increased likelihood of localization and Hadida's apparent enthusiasm, it's possible the movie could fall into the same traps the other adaptations did.  

Should we be hopeful or worried?   :thinking:

If you missed the announcement, AestheticGamer uploaded this video:

• AnimalLover47999 likes this

#2 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 715 posts
  • LocationIn a nest made of the Kusabi's hair.

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:43 AM

I'm both hopeful and worried.  I think that it could be a good movie if enough effort is put into it but I'm also worried because well his track record isn't that good.  That and him saying he's going to make this movie better than the games (if I heard wrong I apologize it kept kicking me out) was really upsetting.

However so long as the movie means a game release in pretty much each region I'll take a crappy Fatal Frame movie any day.

Edited by pkstarstorm1up, 18 July 2014 - 12:56 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:01 AM

I'm going to keep my expectations low and hope that whatever happens, it'll help more people discover the series.

#4 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

Lingering Shadow

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,158 posts
  • Location日上山

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

I dont mind it so yay. Just like Mid, low expectations and enjoy it for what it is thats how I enjoyed my time with Silent Hill Revelation. I fit helps to promote the series enough to localize it then that would be fine as well.

How hard can Fatal Frame be to translate.
Camera + haunted area + decent enough plot = Fatal Frame
I just hope to God he doesn't plan to put nudity or something like a sex scene like how most (American) horror films seem to like to add in recent years. Just focus on ghost and making it scary please.

How I would do it is obviously a young adult (male or female it doesn't matter) entering a haunted location maybe being trapped by something dark (maybe triggered by black magic?) and somehow finding the camera by accident and learning it's special ability on accident similar to Madoka then freak out about it later after fighting off a hostile spirit. As for the rest... idk it needs work like why everything happens if it were to be a cursed/haunted location.

Edited by ナガクラ, 17 July 2014 - 08:09 AM.

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

#5 OFFLINE   Reala

Reala

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 431 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:05 AM

Optimistic yay but this is the dude behind silent hill revelations which even though I enjoyed it's story was um...what was it again ? Twas abysmal along with the acting. Resident evil was good though. But I think we can look to this movie as a pretty good piece of evidence that the game will see a western release. Good or bad I'm seeing this in the cinema whenever it comes out
 photo flandrebanner.jpg

#6 OFFLINE   Yashuu

Yashuu

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 312 posts
  • LocationNaked under a haori

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

My expectations are really low tbh. The first SH film was decent but the rest of the adaptations he's produced... dont bode well at all. 

Hopefully it's not as bad as Revelations at least...

ZR9JeXg.gif
i will jiggle into your soul

#7 OFFLINE   MacabrelleEnvy

MacabrelleEnvy

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 433 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques and Cafe

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:48 AM

I just hope we don't end up with another SC incident where there was plenty of potential, but sales in the US pretty much doomed immediate future releases from the franchise :(

But I am really excited.

#8 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

Lingering Shadow

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,158 posts
  • Location日上山

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

I just hope we don't end up with another SC incident where there was plenty of potential, but sales in the US pretty much doomed immediate future releases from the franchise :(

But I am really excited.

They would have to be insane to depend on sales of a spin off to release a main series game.

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

#9 OFFLINE   MacabrelleEnvy

MacabrelleEnvy

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 433 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques and Cafe

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

They would have to be insane to depend on sales of a spin off to release a main series game.

I just meant that if the movie does poorly we might not have a chance at seeing other Fatal Frame media like the manga or novel. Besides, we didn't get the wiimake of the 2nd game and I would assume SCs poor sales had at least a little to do with it.

#10 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

Lingering Shadow

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,158 posts
  • Location日上山

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

I just meant that if the movie does poorly we might not have a chance at seeing other Fatal Frame media like the manga or novel. Besides, we didn't get the wiimake of the 2nd game and I would assume SCs poor sales had at least a little to do with it.

I went on about this a while ago too. I dont need to repeat myself again.
As for the manga.... YenPress has been publishing just about anything recently, even titles that are not so popular (Higurashi, Umineko and many others). They even went so far to release the Another manga and its original novel. Even Kodansha has been publishing things I cant understand why but they did a better job with Tokyo Mew Mew compared to Tokyo Pop's run.

Edited by ナガクラ, 17 July 2014 - 12:21 PM.

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

#11 OFFLINE   Teen Bulma

Teen Bulma

High School Student

• Spirited Aways
  • 130 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

That's true ^^^

I didn't realize Umineko didn't do well? I was sitting here hoping for a new season to explain what happened but my bf said it bombed in japan so it wasn't happening and I was just like "wattt nooo". I've seen some pretty obscure manga get published so here's hoping.

As for the movie..hmm..well I guess as long as it gets the game out there it'll be ok?? Since SH and RE were more focused on monsters than ghosts maybe it'll be easier to make it scarier/believable with their own plot line? Hopefully it wont be rushed or as forced as the others. I really really liked the first RE movie but the SH movies were lacking. I think the only thing I enjoyed was pyramid head tbh XD 

GpOY.png

#12 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 715 posts
  • LocationIn a nest made of the Kusabi's hair.

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:10 AM

Actually in response to the thing about the first Silent Hill movie.  The reason it wasn't bad was because he wasn't the director/producer.  He got hired on for Revelations.

#13 OFFLINE   Reala

Reala

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 431 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:18 AM

Actually in response to the thing about the first Silent Hill movie. The reason it wasn't bad was because he wasn't the director/producer. He got hired on for Revelations.

Ah your totally right man I assumed he did since I googled him and it was one if the movies on the list. Oh well that movie sucked anyway
 photo flandrebanner.jpg

#14 OFFLINE   dark_ardhyrha

dark_ardhyrha

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 10 posts
  • Locationsomewhere only god know ..

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:41 AM

well .. i am not expecting my high hope for this one ..
but it will be interesting if there's more people know about this game ..
lets say an movie ads ?

122121n.jpg

#15 OFFLINE   Emi

Emi

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 516 posts
  • LocationSomewhere with a camera...

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

I'm reserved on this one.

Just because we've been told there would be a 'Hollywood' Fatal Frame movie before, announced and everything - and the project died.

Now, before I go further, please note that if we DID get a movie, I would go to it multiple times and get everything I could on it,even if it was bad - because yay for my blind Fatal Frame support.

The ABOVE being said, I am not sure how 'good' a movie we would be looking at. 

There are some amazing low budget horror movies, and then there are some AWFUL high budget horror movies. This is a horror movie being based on a game, and we don't have a great track record. Also story, are we focusing on Miku & Mafuyu, one of the other storylines? Or are we making a completely new storyline here? There are a lot of variables that I can see people loving or hating, and then the simple question: 'Is it scary?'

If I was going to do a story, I would do Miku & Mafuyu (throwing in references and maybe SMALL cameos of some of the characters from 2 & 3).

How I envision the ghosts would be the effects done in The Messengers by the Pang brothers. (great effects, not so much of a scary movie though) - note, there are other movies that I have loved the effects of, just that that one particularly struck me as perfect for haunting yet subtle yet terrifying fatal frame theme.

There are places that I would want it to be 'normal' and then other places where it could be supernatural (just not over the top). There's a LOT of backstory in the first story that you could elaborate on further.

(Although that being said, I would like them not to mix up Edo period clothing etc...)

Sound effects especially would be important. (Anyone who has played / or heard the difference between Kirie's entrance in the first game Japanese versus English. yikes!)

Anyways, getting way off topic...

Could it work? Yes. Could it be crazy creepy and scary yes.

Is there a high chance? Probably not.

Will I still go see it - yes.

#16 OFFLINE   Yashuu

Yashuu

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 312 posts
  • LocationNaked under a haori

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

Actually in response to the thing about the first Silent Hill movie.  The reason it wasn't bad was because he wasn't the director/producer.  He got hired on for Revelations.

oh god no ;_;

ZR9JeXg.gif
i will jiggle into your soul

#17 OFFLINE   ナガクラ

ナガクラ

Lingering Shadow

• Spirited Aways
  • 1,158 posts
  • Location日上山

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

I kinda like Emi's idea better than mine.

That's true ^^^

I didn't realize Umineko didn't do well? I was sitting here hoping for a new season to explain what happened but my bf said it bombed in japan so it wasn't happening and I was just like "wattt nooo". I've seen some pretty obscure manga get published so here's hoping.

When it comes to the Higurashi and Umineko series they do bad here. I didn't say anything about Japan. However, due to how Studio DEEN handled Umineko it didn't do well because it was rushed without mercy compared to the source material (the visual novel) and Higurashi had the problem resulting in fixing the things they screwed up for season 1 in Kai (season 2) but that didn't fix absolutely everything. If they really wanted to fix it then they should have rebooted everything. Higurashi Kai starts with Shion's arc (Eye Opening/Meakashi). We weren't suppose to see that yet including Rena's arc the one after Shion's.

Anti-Operation Zero
QgZMNB9.png

#18 OFFLINE   Homuranagi

Homuranagi

RED CHILLI HOT PEPPER????

• Crazy Noisy Bizarre Admin
  • 422 posts
  • LocationDuwang Town

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

I pretty much reserved myself to the fact that it's likely going to be bad or awful from the moment it was announced. I'm okay with that. I'd actually rather it be truly awful than just mediocre - and I don't see it being "good" unless they do something really special - because at least then it would have some proper entertainment value, maybe even make the "so bad it's good" loop. We just don't know enough about it yet, though. What approach will they take? Will they use established actors or will they cast two fairly inexperienced models like the Japanese film did? Will it be an original plot or an adaptation? They need to answer these questions before I can even begin to consider quality.

AAHOrHo.gif

#19 OFFLINE   NightmarePictures001

NightmarePictures001

Lost Twin

• Spirited Aways
  • 185 posts
  • LocationCanada!

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

I think Tecmo-Koei, and Nintendo will to some degree guide Hadida to what kind of a movie, a Fatal Frame movie should be.. Like the type of atmosphere, and unease. But also, the type of story too. The Fatal Frame games are Frightening, but they are also tragic and sad too.

I am looking forward to this by the way :).

Edited by NightmarePictures001, 20 July 2014 - 03:16 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   Rheo

Rheo

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 500 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Philippines

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

With the mention of "Fatal Frame" during the stream, to be produced by Samuel Hadida of the Resident Evil and Silent Hill movies, what are everyone's thoughts?  While there's definitely some positives, including increased likelihood of localization and Hadida's apparent enthusiasm, it's possible the movie could fall into the same traps the other adaptations did.  

Should we be hopeful or worried?   :thinking:

"fall into the same traps the other adaptions did."

my paranoia for any movie that has a Hollywood version in it.

but since it's going to Hollywood, I'm going to watch the movie before I judge it in my review.

that said, I must be between hopeful and worried.

hopeful (left path) <--- me sitting here for nothing ---> worried (right path)

30vipvk.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame Movie, Opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users