Signups for the 2017 Christmas Exchange are open! Come and join us for spooky festive gifts!

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
Hex : (08 November 2017 - 06:12 PM) Yesss, headphones.  I think you can hear doors being closed in Rei's house too.
Hex : (09 November 2017 - 01:03 PM) Damn, I didn't know they were closing down the miiverse until too late.  My screenshots.  :(
midwinter : (09 November 2017 - 01:40 PM) Argh, no backups? That sucks :(
Hex : (09 November 2017 - 01:48 PM) On the bright side, I still have an album full of pretty scenery and Hisoka looking confused.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) Nintendo shouldn't have shut down Miiverse.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) People loved it.
AnimalLover4... : (10 November 2017 - 05:59 AM) And they should have incorporated it onto the Switch.
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:51 AM) Finally finished TEW2, t'was excellent.
GreekShadow : (12 November 2017 - 05:14 AM) I'm glad you enjoed it Hex!How was it comparing to the first one though(,which i personally disliked)?
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:11 PM) I've only played the first for a few hours (didn't like it much either), but it was a big improvement.  The gameplay is fun, the stealth works a lot better, the open world map isn't too big but there's sidequests (one with a cool ghost lady!) and some interesting things to do.
Hex : (12 November 2017 - 12:17 PM) I was really impressed with the story since it was one of the things that put me off the first. The last 20 minutes were so good, definitely one of the best endings I've seen in awhile.
Daz Hinasaki : (12 November 2017 - 07:17 PM) Hey guys I'm finishing fatal frame 1 on my twitch channel tonight! :) love you to join me https://www.twitch.tv/chunzbunz
GreekShadow : (13 November 2017 - 05:36 AM) oh sounds cool thank you hex!And for me also the story of the first one put me off,glad the second one is better
Hex : (16 November 2017 - 12:01 PM) TIL: ghost marriage is actually practiced in China.   :staffsan:
Rheo : (16 November 2017 - 12:13 PM) O_O
Rheo : (16 November 2017 - 12:13 PM) oh yeah there's a local movie here called The Ghost Bride and the actress playing that is half-Chinese
Hex : (21 November 2017 - 07:58 PM) Do you ever start typing and find yourself wondering, "when did this become a novel?"
AnimalLover4... : (21 November 2017 - 10:22 PM) Eiji Otsuka.
Hex : (21 November 2017 - 11:46 PM) Where?   :icon_lordhimuro:
AnimalLover4... : (22 November 2017 - 06:19 AM) LOL

Photo
- - - - -

Ghost Hands....

Deep Crimson Butterfly Fatal Frame IV Project Zero IV Ghost hands Opinion

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Magamdy

Magamdy

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 211 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

I think they suck. They are WAY overused. In Fatal Frame 4 they started appearing very late in the game, and only as a scare factor, they didn't do any damage. In Deep Crimson you have one popping up at like 50% of the items. They are so predictable, but when they do get you it takes 80% of your healthbar away (on Hard at least). It seems like something they just added for the sake of adding, just some content that doesn't add anything.

What I do like however are the hands with an actual ghost attached... Broken Neck Woman got me once... Oh god why...

#2 OFFLINE   Reala

Reala

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 429 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

To avoid them 100% of the time hold and release the A button continuously
  • Persephone likes this
 photo flandrebanner.jpg

#3 OFFLINE   Magamdy

Magamdy

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 211 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

Yeah, but that's pretty cheap :P. I've developed a sort of feel for when they are about to appear, but sometimes I forget, especially when you're not going for an item but for a drawer or something. But still, it breaks immersion.

#4 OFFLINE   GreekShadow

GreekShadow

Jelly Bisquit

• Spirited Aways
  • 249 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

I like them,they make the exploration more interesting.I would prefer it if everytime you released the A bottun the grabbing animation would be canseled,so you had to do it again.Because the "hold and release the A button continuously" strategy is cheap >_>

tumblr_mayvegYZYE1rnbk4so1_400.gif

#5 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Cheap scares deserve cheap fixes. ¬_¬

I can't stand them in DCB. They were okay in FF4, when they were less frequent and didn't do any damage, but even then they were pretty pointless and not at all scary after maybe the first or second time. They don't make exploration more interesting, because they never vary or cause anything new to happen; they're the equivalent of having Mio trip over her own feet every so often just because. If anything, they discourage exploration, by making even the most basic game mechanic risky, and making the grab system even more tedious and unwieldy than it already is. There's no reason for them, they don't add depth to any aspect of the game, they're just a lazy attempt at a jump scare that quickly loses any power to frighten simply because it happens so frequently. The only times they were remotely unnerving were when they came attached to a ghost, as Magamdy said, and even then they never really went anywhere.

I wouldn't mind them if they served some purpose. There are a few occasions when picking up an object triggers a flashback or ghost battle, and I think they would have worked there - except I don't think they ever got used that way, which is kind of a waste IMO. Otherwise they're just irritating.

#6 OFFLINE   Yashuu

Yashuu

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 309 posts
  • LocationNaked under a haori

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Honestly, they just need to make them less frequent. There were too many in DCB, and too little in FF4, and each time it's the same, except when it's actual ghosts, but then they just disappear.

They need to vary it a little more. Maybe when an actual ghost grabs you, you actually need to fight them, or the ghost hand will grab you if you pull back your hand, being too timid. Idk, I feel after two games now, if they keep it the same it will just be really dull.

meanwhile the investigation stuff is really immersive so they should definitely keep that

• AnimalLover47999 likes this

ZR9JeXg.gif
i will jiggle into your soul

#7 OFFLINE   Magamdy

Magamdy

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 211 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Honestly, they just need to make them less frequent. There were too many in DCB, and too little in FF4, and each time it's the same, except when it's actual ghosts, but then they just disappear.

They need to vary it a little more. Maybe when an actual ghost grabs you, you actually need to fight them, or the ghost hand will grab you if you pull back your hand, being too timid. Idk, I feel after two games now, if they keep it the same it will just be really dull.

meanwhile the investigation stuff is really immersive so they should definitely keep that

You do know that when an actual ghost grabs you, you do have to fight them? :P. At least on higher difficulties.

#8 OFFLINE   GreekShadow

GreekShadow

Jelly Bisquit

• Spirited Aways
  • 249 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

I never said that they are perfect,but i don't want to completely delete them.An improvement would be nice.

tumblr_mayvegYZYE1rnbk4so1_400.gif

#9 OFFLINE   Magamdy

Magamdy

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 211 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

No, I don't want to delete them either, then what would be the point of the grab-system?

#10 OFFLINE   Yashuu

Yashuu

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 309 posts
  • LocationNaked under a haori

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

You do know that when an actual ghost grabs you, you do have to fight them? :P. At least on higher difficulties.

Really? I've never had to fight them, the filament goes red for a while as they get up and then they just disappear. The only time I've fought them is when they appear after grabbing an object, like with Broken Neck after picking up the Zero lens.

ZR9JeXg.gif
i will jiggle into your soul

#11 OFFLINE   Miss Miku

Miss Miku

Unknown Victim

• Spirited Aways
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

I agree with them being irritating... I always know when they're about to pop up because my wii pauses shortly then makes extra loading noises XD 

#12 OFFLINE   FiliusMartis

FiliusMartis

Kagome, Kagome Player

• Administrators
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

I wouldn't mind them so much if they actually served a legitimate purpose, but as it is now, they're just kind of there to be bothersome. I thought I was going to have to fight the actual ghost ones, and that might have made it better, but they always disappeared by the time I got the camera up, which kind of made me feel lame as I stood there holding the camera all ready to go and stuff. I also think they tend to do a bit much damage when you miss the dodge, and sometimes the camera angle can make it difficult to see them.  Generally, I use the trick where you can hear the wii clicking before one of them manifests, and honestly, it's not even something I necessarily do consciously anymore. It's one of those things that could have been something but they didn't carry through with.

#13 OFFLINE   Sosezi

Sosezi

High School Student

• Spirited Aways
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

Totally SUCKS!! Cheap and very bad

in FF4 they really scared me but in DCB they makes me irritated and really disturb my gaming time

also render became more Doll looking so i feel not ghost hand grab me but Doll hand))

baddest trick in FF series in my opinion

#14 OFFLINE   Teen Bulma

Teen Bulma

High School Student

• Spirited Aways
  • 130 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:50 AM

Late reply is late but they scare the crap out of me every time. Maybe its because of the 50/50 chance of them happening so I'm always on edge when I'm about to pick stuff up. I didn't remember if the hands hurt you or not in FF4 but I liked that they put them in DCB. Really adds to the setting I think. 

Most I ever got scared was then I was at the Kureha shrine and got the item behind the alter. I avoided the hand but the hand was DIFFERENT so I was REALLY freaked out. My heart was in my throat for an hour hahah. I wonder who's hand it was? Veiled Priest maybe? It looked manly.

GpOY.png

#15 OFFLINE   TomoChan

TomoChan

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 279 posts
  • LocationChamber of Thorns

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

I thought they were really annoying myself. I did get scared when broken neck grabbed my hand to get the key behind the alter though. I got to the point were I just let go as I begin to grab an item :P

a80Suw0.png

#16 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 695 posts
  • LocationThe Red Room.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:12 AM

I hate them in Fatal Frame 4 because they steal your Blue and Red Crystals and they are only they for a jump scare which while effective is cheap.

They are much better in Deep Crimson Butterfly.  They happen just enough and they actually hurt you so they are a legitimate threat, they don't just happen when reaching for items, they make reaching for items a tense experience which is a good thing, they come in more than one flavor unlike 4, and you can dodge them now.

#17 OFFLINE   Sosezi

Sosezi

High School Student

• Spirited Aways
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

I think it's Cheap Trick

but Yes Agreed Scary and also makes me irritated...

#18 OFFLINE   MacabrelleEnvy

MacabrelleEnvy

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 413 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques and Cafe

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

Most annoying thing ever -.-

#19 OFFLINE   niaamakura

niaamakura

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 21 posts
  • LocationElympios

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

Kinda annoying though, as I played Hard difficulty, I think it's always appear on almost all of item that I wanna pick, even when I wanna touch something, (ex: box, door, curtain), the hold and release A button is a great trick and I always do that everytime XD

But sometimes, Mio screamed if the hand almost catch her, that one make me jump -_-

#20 OFFLINE   zombie1808

zombie1808

Unknown Victim

• Spirited Aways
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

Those hands has ruined the game !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Deep Crimson Butterfly, Fatal Frame IV, Project Zero IV, Ghost hands, Opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users