Been away for a while and want to catch up on the latest news about the Fatal Frame series? This is the topic for you. It'll be updated regularly with links and summaries of recent announcements, pictures and information.
22 April 2014
Developers announce there will be a new Fatal Frame for the Wii U, as well as a novel, a Japanese movie, a comic, and possibly a Hollywood movie in future. The official website for the Japanese movie goes up the same day.
- Topic on BCL
- CinemaToday article about the movie (Japanese)
- Anime News Network article about the movie (English)
- Gematsu article about the game (English)
13 June 2014
Kadokawa releases several promotional images for the movie, and a teaser image of the main character from the next Fatal Frame game. They announce that the movie will hit cinemas on 26 September 2014, with tickets going on sale on 28 June 2014. Those who order tickets in advance will receive a clear version of the main character teaser.
26 June 2014
A trailer for the movie is released.
27 June 2014
New article posted on Famitsu about the trailer. It includes a new poster and information about the artist who will be performing the themesong, JAMOSA. The official website gets overhauled too, and we get a clear look at the movie's Camera Obscura.
3 July 2014
The novel has a product page on Kadokawa's website, announcing the release date (23rd August) along with a short summary.
Nintendo has announced there will be a Niconico livestream introducing the new Fatal Frame for Wii U at 13:30 JST on July 17. Get ready!
Today was the day of the livestream, and we got SO MUCH NEWS. Abbreviated list:
- Trailer, official website and screenshots of Fatal Frame: The Raven-Haired Shrine Maiden for Wii U, which will be released on September 27 2014.
- Chapter 1 of Fatal Frame: Shadow Priestess, the manga by Tadashi Agi.
- News that the Hollywood movie will be directed by Samuel Hadida, who worked on Resident Evil.
- Whole lot of other information, translated and gathered into one convenient post.
- Famitsu ran an article summarising the livestream and promoting Fatal Frame V - nothing we didn't already know, but some nice publicity.
- Chapter 2 of Fatal Frame: Shadow Priestess went up on MangaBox.
- Chapter 3 of Fatal Frame: Shadow Priestess went up on MangaBox.
It's definitely updating on a weekly schedule, with both the Japanese and English versions going up at midnight JST, so I won't continue to update the news post every time there's a new chapter.
- Kadokawa posted a new trailer for the movie.
- Famitsu ran an article about it, including several new pictures.
- Fatal Frame 5 now has official box art for the Japanese version!
- Shadow Priestess didn't get its scheduled update yesterday - no news yet on whether this is a delay, planned or otherwise, or whether they only ever intended to release the first five chapters on MangaBox. A physical edition of Volume 1 will be available to buy in Japanese on 17 September
Fatal Frame 5 was featured in a double spread in Famitsu on Wednesday, which included a lot of information on characters and gameplay! It was also revealed that Tsuki Amano would be contributing an original song after all, in addition to Higanbana by AnJu.
The novel, "A Curse Affecting Only Girls", has been released in Japan! Come and read a sample in the discussion topic!
Another Famitsu article with even more new material has been released! It includes info on characters, setting and gameplay, and also reveals that Miku Hinasaki will be making an appearance as Miu's mother.
There's also a third trailer, full of new footage.
As release day approaches, Famitsu have published another article about Fatal Frame 5, including an interview with the creators. Two new characters are also introduced, one of whom might be familiar to fans of Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive.