Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
midwinter : (12 October 2017 - 12:37 PM) Maybe Spirit Camera since I don't replay that very often...
GreekShadow : (12 October 2017 - 02:45 PM) I might replay FF3.Not sure if I should start a brand new playthrough or one with my unlockes though hmmm.I have years to play FF3 ;_;
Hex : (12 October 2017 - 02:57 PM) Just think: yukatas.   :icon_ff3miku1:
Hex : (12 October 2017 - 02:57 PM) (Why Rei doesn't have a blue one will forever be a mystery)
asagi : (12 October 2017 - 04:37 PM) I want to replay the games but mom threw the ps3 out of the window :zca rei:
Eisenalex : (12 October 2017 - 11:16 PM) Why would she do that?
Eisenalex : (14 October 2017 - 11:30 AM) I just learned that there's apparently a manga based on Siren made by Junji Ito.
Hex : (15 October 2017 - 01:11 PM) If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's unsurprisingly pretty gross.
Eisenalex : (15 October 2017 - 02:20 PM) It's Junji Ito. Of course it gets either super weird or gross, lol.
NightmarePic... : (15 October 2017 - 03:15 PM) And me being curious I had to look it up. Yup definitely gross XD
Eisenalex : (15 October 2017 - 05:17 PM) Did you think it was that bad? I enjoy Ito's stuff a lot.
NightmarePic... : (15 October 2017 - 05:32 PM) Meh.. It wasn't all that bad. Just more unsettling than "gross". Those weird worm girls or whatever are way worse *cringes*
Eisenalex : (15 October 2017 - 05:41 PM) I'm not sure what you mean by "worm girls". He did a couple of slug-transformations, though.
NightmarePic... : (16 October 2017 - 11:02 PM) That was it.. yup lol
Hex : (17 October 2017 - 05:33 PM) My new washing machine makes jingles whenever it's finished like an ice cream van.
NightmarePic... : (17 October 2017 - 06:12 PM) I... don't think that's good Hex.. You might want to check what's in there other than clothes lol
Kouta Koikawa : (17 October 2017 - 06:28 PM) Maybe they come with entertaining sound effects these days.
midwinter : (17 October 2017 - 07:15 PM) A lot of the new ones are supposed to chime to let you know when the cycle is done
midwinter : (17 October 2017 - 07:16 PM) Mine does, at least
Eisenalex : (17 October 2017 - 09:59 PM) The future is now.

Photo
- - - - -

Opinions on the proximity-based Camera Obscura

Fatal Frame II Project Zero II Camera Obscura Poll

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Charged or Proximity (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you prefer Charged or Proximity Camera Obscuras?

1. Charged Camera Obscura (Fatal Frame, Fatal Frame 3, Fatal Frame 4, Deep Crimson Butterfly, Spirit Camera) (6 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. Proximity based Camera Obscura? (Fatal Frame 2) (2 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of Chuck Cunningham Syndrome.

• Spirited Aways
  • 675 posts
  • LocationThe Red Room.

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:53 PM

In Fatal Frame 2 they decided to change the charging Camera Obscura from the first game (where you align the ghosts in the capture circle and it charges as long as you keep them there while charging slower if they are further away and faster if they are closer) to a system where the capture circle won't strengthen unless you are really close to the enemy therefore meaning you can't take Zero shots from a distance.  In 3 they went back to the original style (but added in the power up lenses and the Fatal Frame combo shots from 2) and in the remake of 2 for the Wii they kept the original camera style from the other games rather than returning to the proximity based system.

What do you think of this style?  Do you prefer this?  Do you wish they'd return to this style in later installments?  Or do you prefer what they are doing in every other game?

#2 OFFLINE   Yashuu

Yashuu

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 309 posts
  • LocationNaked under a haori

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

I don't think it was very good, the game already encourages letting ghosts get close with shutter chances and fatal frames, I don't think making it the only viable way to approach ghost fights was necessary- it overwhelms the risk vs reward aspect of the combat.

It also makes the game a bit too easy- it means every fatal frame is fully charged pretty much, so ghosts go down without much hassle. I much prefer the charge system used in all the other games. That said, I'm still not a fan of the whole fully charged shot = shutter chance thing they've had going since FF4, makes it too easy to play safe with ghosts and can make the game boring. I've seen way too many LP'ers in FF4 and DCB get a pretty underwhelming combat experience because they just slowly chip down ghosts at a range with fully charged shots so nothing interesting really happens.

• AnimalLover47999 likes this

ZR9JeXg.gif
i will jiggle into your soul

#3 OFFLINE   FiliusMartis

FiliusMartis

Kagome, Kagome Player

• Administrators
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

I agree with a lot of what Yashuu said. Part of the challenge of combat in this game is holding the ghost in the viewfinder while he or she is moving around while also avoiding any other ghosts that you might not be able to see with the camera up. Fatal frames kind of make the charge irrelevant, so if you get good at those, it hardly matters, but if distance is the only factor, it matters even less. Ideally, I'd like to see a combination of the two systems. Perhaps it would charge a little faster when the ghost is closer, reward the player for taking that risk by hastening the boost to their shot.

#4 OFFLINE   deer

deer

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 85 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:52 PM

Isn't Kei's camera also proximity based? I don't even know how his camera works.

ABID1K8.jpg

#5 OFFLINE   midwinter

midwinter

Tsukimori Shrine Admin

• Gentleman Scholar
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

Nah, Kei's is charge-based as well, but it only has two charge points, so you can never build up very powerful shots.

#6 OFFLINE   MacabrelleEnvy

MacabrelleEnvy

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 400 posts
  • LocationKurosawa Antiques and Cafe

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:45 PM

I understand that they wanted you to have to get closer to the ghosts in the second game, so as to up the fear.. but it didn't really work that well. The charging system really works out much better mechanically in my opinion. Now the newer style in the 5th game....

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame II, Project Zero II, Camera Obscura, Poll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users